Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
Like Tree12Likes
    Samsung Galaxy S Epic 4g (I have the original one w/ keyboard = got it for cheap at Sams Club). Super AMOLED screens are awesome will make you miss webos less. Cameras that have autofocus = awesome. All the latest apps and games and cool things like citrix = priceless.

Keep a webos phone as a wifi only device for nostalgia. That's what I'd do. Sooner or later the existing stock of HP/Palm phones is going to wear out and there's no replacement. HP isn't planning to enter the phone biz so it's up to some 3rd party = at the rate things are moving I'm not holding my breath any longer.

I gave up 6 months ago and probably the best decision. Yeah it was rough and sad intially. But man up and get over it. I can't deal with a phone that requires tape to hold it together. I needed dependable reliability. All the same great apps exist in one form or another on other carriers. Use google to sync your contacts back on android and you'll feel the same "synergy" feeling, kind of. ICS version phones have the ability to toss apps away to the side, so that's like webos - kind of...
    I bought a pre2 from Ebay 6 months ago then recently used my upgrade to get the HTC Sensation XE. If only I could get webOS running on this duel core beast, I'd be over the moon.
    Pre|central Peacekeepers
    I'd love to get my hands on an HTC Titan II, now that's a man's phone! One of the Pre's biggest problems in my opinion is it's tiny size. I'm sorry but I hate postage stamped sized devices but I loved my Pre so I put up with it. I think manufacturers should just ditch the cell phones all together. Tablets can be the new "cell phone". It makes perfect sense if you think about it, you have net access, apps, phone, video, etc all in one neat package. Anyway, since I'm on Sprint and don't feel like changing I'll wait for there new Windows phone offerings.
    I replaced my Pre+ with a BlackBerry Bold 9900. I also got an IPad 2 for Christmas so use that at home. The Pre is in a junk drawer now!
    I am curious about how everyone deals with the sprint charge for a smartphone ($10). I have a launch day pre (original) that I do not want to lose, so I got a pre off ebay. Now Sprint has said that I sill have to pay new charge. I love web-os. Played with iphone4s, htc EVO, and samsung Epic and nothing compares to my pre. I don't need complicated or real fast. But I also don't want to pay $10 more for something I've used for over 2years and 9 months. Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by katnou View Post
    I am curious about how everyone deals with the sprint charge for a smartphone ($10). I have a launch day pre (original) that I do not want to lose, so I got a pre off ebay. Now Sprint has said that I sill have to pay new charge. I love web-os. Played with iphone4s, htc EVO, and samsung Epic and nothing compares to my pre. I don't need complicated or real fast. But I also don't want to pay $10 more for something I've used for over 2years and 9 months. Thanks
    Personally we dealt with it by leaving Sprint after almost a decade.

Others have successfully fought the charge since they are replacing with the same device due to wear.

The other option is to FrankenPre2.
    I love physical keyboards... but there is two devices that would make me consider a slab, one is something running a full version of Open webOS. The other is an iPhone!!!! HA HA just kidding (about the iPhone that is)...
    Global Posts
    20 Global Posts
    I just took delivery of an HTC Rezound and flashed Ice Cream Sandwich to it. It's no WebOS but the hardware and ability to download contemporary applications closes a bit of the gap. I'm using my Pre+ as an alarm/media player at the moment.
    Global Posts
    213 Global Posts
    I also left Sprint and un-franken'd my Pre2 back to unlocked GSM/US and hopped around through simplemobile before hitting paydirt with straighttalk
    Quote Originally Posted by jayfish View Post
    I just took delivery of an HTC Rezound and flashed Ice Cream Sandwich to it. It's no WebOS but the hardware and ability to download contemporary applications closes a bit of the gap. I'm using my Pre+ as an alarm/media player at the moment.
    I chose the stratosphere and doing the same with my pre 2. Btw why the rezound vs other android phone?
    Quote Originally Posted by grankin View Post
    It is still under warranty, and I am in almost weekly contact with HP's techs. Will have a word with them about yet another replacement.
    Quote Originally Posted by grankin View Post
    If anything's corrupted, it managed to get that way with apps only native or from the app store. Hardware? Never dropped. Not ever. What's more, this is an HP replacement.
    Well, now I know what the problem was. HP finally worked their way to the depths of the deepest logs they could get from my device. They saw that the SIM card was sending erroneous information to the OS. This was neatly confirmed by my managing to lose my AT&T SIM card when swapping cards in Panama in late February, for when AT&T sent me a new SIM, the Pre2 worked like a champ. Their theory? That an older SIM card confused the new OS.

The new SIM card, however, was entirely happy with both the old and the new OS, so clearly SIM cards are backwards compatible, but not forward compatible. Who'd'a thunk it?

Except for its inability to add new contacts, or to assign any sort of phone to a contact except a mobile. That, then, was solved by a complete wipe (I've lost count) to get rid of the USB connection software that was installed when getting data from Palm Desktop.

After a bunch of monkey business moving calendar info from Palm to Outlook, then from Outlook via DTA to the device (after first cleaning Outlook of any previous activity), I have been watching over 7,000 calendar events install themselves over the past couple of days. The beast lives again!

Kudos to Cindy Butcher of HP who got this going, and mostly to Shane (level 3 tech @ HP) who spent several hours working with me to accomplish all this.

Yes, I was pretty frustrated with all the shenanigans, but I have still yet to find a phone that has this form factor (I like a smallish phone, but the Sony Xperia Mini is maybe a wee bit too small, and the HTC Wildfire S is a little too slow), and has this nice of an OS. The only app I'd like to have is the Android one that lets you point it at the night sky and it (with the help of GPS and compass) tells you which stars you're looking at.

So I'll stick with HP and the Pre2. The level of technical support has been astonishing. They really do stand behind what they make and sell.
    Global Posts
    20 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by MDsmartphone View Post
    I chose the stratosphere and doing the same with my pre 2. Btw why the rezound vs other android phone?
    You wouldn't be able to tell by the marketing but I think the Rezound is THE flagship device on Verizon. It has a 1.5GHz dual-core CPU. It has a real 720P display with the highest PPI on the market. It has 32GB of RAM standard and is user upgradeable. It's $100 less than the Nexus which, IMO, is it's closest competitor. it has, on paper, better cameras than it's competitors. It comes with a set of $100(retail) headphones that can be sold on CL to help reduce the overall cost of the device. The only downside I've seen so for is its battery life and it's pretty abysmal. Luckily that's user serviceable too.
    Quote Originally Posted by jayfish View Post
    You wouldn't be able to tell by the marketing but I think the Rezound is THE flagship device on Verizon. It has a 1.5GHz dual-core CPU. It has a real 720P display with the highest PPI on the market. It has 32GB of RAM standard and is user upgradeable. It's $100 less than the Nexus which, IMO, is it's closest competitor. it has, on paper, better cameras than it's competitors. It comes with a set of $100(retail) headphones that can be sold on CL to help reduce the overall cost of the device. The only downside I've seen so for is its battery life and it's pretty abysmal. Luckily that's user serviceable too.
    Is the screen visible in daylight?
    Can't see a damn thing outside with the Samsung galaxy devices
    I'm currently on my works plan, so I don't have the option of buying a phone w/ a 2 year agreement. That puts me in a weird position.. I bought the pre3 (screen broke) so not using it anymore.. should sell it on ebay, but i'm lazy.

However, I have recently seen the Samsung Galaxy phone commercials .....and WOW! I love it. I missed the stylus, I have been wanting a top notch precise phone forEVER! .... Sadly, that is just on ATT to..So what do I do?

I'm not interested in the typical android phones, as I have used my Fiances HTC Evo.. so many times. and honestly.. it's just difficult.. I realize. there are probably ways I can put new skins on Android, which would make the transition easier.. Cause.. hers is stock and old....

So what am I saying is the first phone that has made me think about leaving webOS has been this Samsung Top notch quality thing that seems to be out now... but only for ATT? .. IF it's for Verizon, i might be making a switch.
    All the android phones on verizon are the same except for the stratosphere and Droid 4 because of the keyboards and the galaxy nexus because of its size. Otherwise its a matter of specs and minor UI differences.

Honestly don't know how many of the phones make a profit. It wouldn't hurt to slap open webos on one of them to differentiate. Not sure it would sell any less than a Droid charge for example or one of the LG phones.

Sigh ..wishful thinking
    Global Posts
    20 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by MDsmartphone View Post
    Is the screen visible in daylight?
    Can't see a damn thing outside with the Samsung galaxy devices
    Well, I just took it outside and I can see it but that's about it. Keep in mind that I have a glossy screen protector on the device though . Without it I'm sure visibility would be improved.
    Global Posts
    74 Global Posts
    For all of you who have gone the FrankenPre2 route - did you stick with webOS 1.4.5, or upgrade to webOS 2.x?
    I don't believe the Pre 2 was ever released with any webOS release less than 2.x and therefore you must make the jump. Besides, I can't imagine why you wouldn't. The Pre2 has the memory and the speed for 2.x and the new features make it a better experience than 1.4.5.
    Yeah Pre2 is a 2.x phone (would be a shame to run 1.4.5 on it)
    I love physical keyboards... but there is two devices that would make me consider a slab, one is something running a full version of Open webOS. The other is an iPhone!!!! HA HA just kidding (about the iPhone that is)...
    Quote Originally Posted by fritzk3 View Post
    For all of you who have gone the FrankenPre2 route - did you stick with webOS 1.4.5, or upgrade to webOS 2.x?
    You're probably thinking FrankenPrePlus. And no I have 2.1 on that too...
    Go with Epic 4G, with a keyboard. The keyboard is what got me with this phone, the development was what keeps me going. If you like webOS because it has strong developers behind it, you will love the Epic 4G. The devs over at XDA had it running CM9 before any phone in the US had it. Other than that if you like the iPhone like interface you can use MIUI, which is a real development marvel. If you like windows phone 7 you can get a launcher that pretty much copies the phone, I haven't used win7 much so I can't say anything else about it. But really it boots up under a minute, it can almost never brick because it pretty much has its own version of webOS doctor that was made by Sammy. And what I like the most out of android is that it has a safety feature built in where you can boot into what is called clockworkmod and from there you flash the mods, make backups, and fix your phone without ever having to boot into Android. So no "Please connect to iTunes crap" like the iPhone and even more customization options then webOS just makes this phone amazing. This can't be said about other phones, even with android, because truthfully what really makes a great phone are the developers that push it.
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast