Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
Like Tree12Likes
    Global Posts
    85 Global Posts
    another vote for switching to GSM. I just got off contract with Verizon and the Pre+ and am now using StraightTalk's service with H+ speeds on a Veer and Pre3. I am not a power user so the 3Mbps down is fast enough for me without being a power hog.

I have no carrier loyalty, even with 19 and 20% corporate discount programs. At the end of the day, the basic services are just too high, and the data and text add-ons make the plans ridiculous. I will stay off contract until this bubble bursts or until I find a cheaper way to stay connected.

the Veer and Pre3 are thoroughly modern smartphones that should last me until the next wave of webOS phones get produced. I cannot do without Touchstone, preware, native flash support, card system and multitasking etc.
    I'd agree with those on the thread that recommend the Pre 2. I have been on the Frankenpre for 1 week shy of year and it has been great! I also have a Pre 3 I won on accident on ebay and long for the day I can use it for more than a Wi-Fi device.
    I have Sprint and went the Frankenpre 2 route with mine and my wife's phone. Both are working fine - a little laggy at times, but I'm satisfied. And I LOVE voice dial!

With a Frankepre, you also save the $10 a month add-on for 3g/4g service. Sprint thinks you still have a Pre-, so they don't tack on the extra charge.
    Quote Originally Posted by suprolla View Post
    the Veer and Pre3 are thoroughly modern smartphones that should last me until the next wave of webOS phones get produced. I cannot do without Touchstone, preware, native flash support, card system and multitasking etc.
    Plenty has been said about webOS's unmatched and elegant multitasking but the Touchstone is so under-rated. I cannot believe how little this ingenious accessory was promoted. It is the *perfect* combination car charger/phone holder and is another one of the big reasons I didn't want to give up on a webOS phone. Palm should have produced another Touchstone with the logo reversed and maybe slightly stronger magnet and tape, and then showed it off in commercials. As is it works great in my car, stuck to my dash with commercial grade sticky velcro. I stick my phone on it and it charges while being held, and works beautifully with Sprint Navigation or Pandora or whatever, the display fully unobstructed and using bluetooth to stream. Unwired and yet fully integrated into my car, just sitting on a magnet on the dash.

Why Palm never showed this off I'll never understand. Two and a half years later and there is still no other phone I can do this with.
    Last edited by ALuckyGuy; 03/02/2012 at 03:28 PM.
    Global Posts
    293 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by wtgreen View Post
    Plenty has been said about webOS's unmatched and elegant multitasking but the Touchstone is so under-rated. I cannot believe how little this ingenious accessory was promoted. It is the *perfect* combination car charger/phone holder and is another one of the big reasons I didn't want to give up on a webOS phone. Palm should have produced another Touchstone with the logo reversed and maybe slightly stronger magnet and tape, and then showed it off in commercials. As it it works great in my car, stuck to my dash with commercial grade sticky velcro. I stick my phone on it and it charges while being held, and works beautifully with Sprint Navigation or Pandora or whatever, the display fully unobstructed and using bluetooth to stream. Unwired and yet fully integrated into my car, just sitting on a magnet on the dash.

Why Palm never showed this off I'll never understand. Two and a half years later and there is still no other phone I can do this with.
    100% agree. I can't believe how long it's taking for the rest of the industry to get rolling on this concept.
    STARGATE likes this.
    Global Posts
    444 Global Posts
    It all comes to personal preferences. In my immediate family we have 2 veers, pre 3, pre 2, blackberry (curve? which we just dropped), epic 4g, and a Gallaxy II S Skyrocket.

Unless there is an app someone needs, we all prefers WebOS phones. My daughter thinks the veer is the cat's meow. Big hit with the other 13 year olds at her school.

I can also say that in my area, the Sprint coverage has gotten so bad that AT&T (and now StraightTalk for one phone) are big improvement!
    Sprint Treo 650 --> Sprint Treo 700p --> Sprint Centro --> Sprint Pre- --> AT&T Veer/ Pre 2/ Pre 3, Touchpad
    As you want something established and powerful, Android I guess. I'd suggest HTC or Samsung as the manufacturer. So the Sprint variants of the One X or GS3 that'll probably come during summer.

But as a WebOS user I'd probably suggest iOS. End of the day WebOS was more of an Apple product than even Palm as evidenced by all the ex-Apple staff and reduced functions from Garnet. Once you jailbreak an iPhone it's a fairly fun ride.

Only issue is as the first modern, capacitive consumer touchscreen oriented OS it's now pretty dull to look at. But you can customize it to epic proportions.
    Since my first webOS (forgetting before):

PrPrPr$s$:
    Pre Old -> Pre New -> Pre Plus -> Pre 2 -> Pre Plus -> PrPrPr -&$gt$; $Veer$ -&$gt$; $Pre$!

webOS Companion:
    Nokia N810 + Treo 680 -> Archos 101 + N95 -> Galaxy Tab -> IPad 3G + Moto Milestone -> IPhone 4 -> Galaxy S -> Galaxy Wifi 5.0 (My actual PDA & PMP!).

I change my lovers, but never my wife!

Best Regards...
    "If A Man Isn't Willing To Take Some Risk For His Opinions, Either His Opinions Are No Good Or He's No Good!" - Ezra Pound (Poet & Critic)
    (Happy A Lot, As A Good Carioca!)
    Global Posts
    181 Global Posts
    When my Pre2 bit the concrete, I decided to go with the Veer with RedPocket wireless. For me, the Veer does not do webOS any justice. I really want to like it, but it's really is just too small for me to work with and there are some little glitches that are a big turn off.

Now the one big plus of the Veer is data speed. It is significantly faster for me than my Pre2. I guess it takes advantage of a faster speed AT&T network.

Unfortunately, I can't justify the cost of a Pre3. So I'm thinking of moving on to a Motorolla Electrify or Samsung Gallaxy2 until the next generation webOS phones (if ever) come out.
    Quote Originally Posted by Treyster View Post
    Only issue is as the first modern, capacitive consumer touchscreen oriented OS it's now pretty dull to look at. But you can customize it to epic proportions.
    Still no physical keyboard, some of us would call that an issue.
    I love physical keyboards... but there is two devices that would make me consider a slab, one is something running a full version of Open webOS. The other is an iPhone!!!! HA HA just kidding (about the iPhone that is)...
    I jumped ship from my Pre minus to a Samsung Galaxy S2. Like everyone else, I miss multitasking and notifications, but this phone ROCKS!! Blazing speed, massive screen, lightweight, and APPS!!! Also missed the keyboard at first, but swype is awesome!!

I used my Pre from 6/09 to 12/11. Overclocked to 1ghz, patched it like a mofo, but it still wasn't enough...esp with no dev support. I come back here just to see what's happening. I hope by making it open source it kicks starts something, but I'm thinking...too little, too late = (
    Palm loyalist: Samsung SGH-i500>Treo 600>650>755P>Pre- #1>>Pre- #2>Pre- #3>Pre- #4>Pre- #5>Pre- #6
    I went to EVO3D and really like it. I also have a Pre3 for travel as it is GSM.

I would suggest Galaxy Nexus or Evo3d.
    I switched from my Sprint Pre to an iPhone 4S. I hate this phone with a passion but love all the apps and accessories available.

I'm planning on dumping the iPhone and switching to one of the new Sprint LTE phones (and continue hoping the Samsung Epic 4G 2 SPH-D705 rumors are real). The best phones Sprint currently has are the Samsung Galaxy S II Epic 4G Touch, Motorola Photon and HTC Evo 3D. All 3 of the devices will also receive the upcoming ICS update which has some nice interface updates that remind me of my old Pre.
    Last edited by deduce; 03/08/2012 at 08:34 PM.
    Nothing will replace my pre2...just upgraded to a samsung stratosphere...loving the lte service, and being able to surf the web and talk at the same time on vzw network...but the pre2 comes along with me all the time....love the little guy
    I wish I could join the enthusiasm for the Pre2, but I'm close to the end of my rope with it. HP has replaced it, and I have wiped it at least twice, doctored it several times, created (@ HP's direction) a new profile, and it is (1) laggard in pulling up basic apps, (2) will not allow the identifying a contact's phone # as anything but a mobile, (3) occasionally refuses to accept a new contact, (4) will not identify nor accept a default contact account, (5) will not allow the deletion of a USB contact account that was created to use the DTA to grab info from Desktop, (6) required me to export Desktop's contacts to Outlook, then Outlook to Google in order to get updated contacts at all, (7) will not hang onto WiFi (the Pre+ will), and (8) needs a periodic restart (the Pre+ never did).

What triggered all of this is the phone quit working as a phone. Dial a number? The keypad accepted it, then hitting the 'dial" icon flashed that panel yellow-green & it refused. Did it again after new profile created, then (after 2 weeks sitting on the charger) spontaneously revived itself. HP has logs in depth, is trying to see what the problem is, but the engineers have yet to come up with anything.

Yes, I like the better browser with the latest flash, and I like being able to create my own launcher pages, but the Pre+ has served well, hasn't fallen over ever. I give the Pre2 another week, and then it gets wiped and put on ebay. Then I buy another Pre+ and keep my eyes open for an Android device of similar form factor that's better than a teenaged girl's phone.
    The fact that the doctor doesn't fix these issues makes it sound like damaged hardware. If it's still under warranty, I'd press HP for another replacement. Your experience sure it's normal.
    Quote Originally Posted by grankin View Post
    I wish I could join the enthusiasm for the Pre2, but I'm close to the end of my rope with it. HP has replaced it, and I have wiped it at least twice, doctored it several times, created (@ HP's direction) a new profile, and it is (1) laggard in pulling up basic apps, (2) will not allow the identifying a contact's phone # as anything but a mobile, (3) occasionally refuses to accept a new contact, (4) will not identify nor accept a default contact account, (5) will not allow the deletion of a USB contact account that was created to use the DTA to grab info from Desktop, (6) required me to export Desktop's contacts to Outlook, then Outlook to Google in order to get updated contacts at all, (7) will not hang onto WiFi (the Pre+ will), and (8) needs a periodic restart (the Pre+ never did).

What triggered all of this is the phone quit working as a phone. Dial a number? The keypad accepted it, then hitting the 'dial" icon flashed that panel yellow-green & it refused. Did it again after new profile created, then (after 2 weeks sitting on the charger) spontaneously revived itself. HP has logs in depth, is trying to see what the problem is, but the engineers have yet to come up with anything.

Yes, I like the better browser with the latest flash, and I like being able to create my own launcher pages, but the Pre+ has served well, hasn't fallen over ever. I give the Pre2 another week, and then it gets wiped and put on ebay. Then I buy another Pre+ and keep my eyes open for an Android device of similar form factor that's better than a teenaged girl's phone.
    You have damaged hardware or a corrupted file its not the pre2 in general just yours. If you wanna stick with webos I suggest replacing it with another pre2 they are very cheap these days
    Quote Originally Posted by MDsmartphone View Post
    You have damaged hardware or a corrupted file its not the pre2 in general just yours. If you wanna stick with webos I suggest replacing it with another pre2 they are very cheap these days
    If anything's corrupted, it managed to get that way with apps only native or from the app store. Hardware? Never dropped. Not ever. What's more, this is an HP replacement.
    Quote Originally Posted by wtgreen View Post
    The fact that the doctor doesn't fix these issues makes it sound like damaged hardware. If it's still under warranty, I'd press HP for another replacement. Your experience sure it's normal.
    It is still under warranty, and I am in almost weekly contact with HP's techs. Will have a word with them about yet another replacement.
    Global Posts
    183 Global Posts
    I went for the Samsung Galaxy Nexus and couldn't be happier. My wife has to make a decision soon and is leaning to the Pre2.
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast