Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 27
Like Tree15Likes
  1.    #1  


    How to modify a Nexus S for inductive charging on a touchstone:

    Nexus S Inductive Charging How-To - a set on Flickr

    -- Rod
    Last edited by rwhitby; 01/16/2012 at 01:21 AM.
    WebOS Internals and Preware Founder and Developer
    You may wish to donate by Paypal to donations @ webos-internals.org if you find our work useful.
    All donations go back into development.
    www.webos-internals.org twitter.com/webosinternals facebook.com/webosinternals
    Rnp, laoh and milominderbinde like this.
  2. #2  
    Now you've got me worried. Not straying are we?
  3.    #3  
    Quote Originally Posted by johncc View Post
    Now you've got me worried. Not straying are we?
    A viable porting target for webOS has to have inductive charging..

    -- Rod
  4. #4  
    Quote Originally Posted by rwhitby View Post
    A viable porting target for webOS has to have inductive charging..

    -- Rod
    Why? Just because you've gotten used to it?
  5. #5  
    Quote Originally Posted by Mikey47 View Post
    Why? Just because you've gotten used to it?
    that and it is a pretty cool hack. Question is, how feasible would it be to undertake doing this without destroying any existing hardware? Or does all the donation stuff just come from the touchstone-back, of which there might be millions out there? In which case, I'm going to modify EVERYTHING IN THE HOUSE.
    Author:
    Remove Messaging Beeps patch for webOS 3.0.5, Left/Right bezel gestures in LunaCE,
    Whazaa! Messenger and node-wa, SynerGV 1 and 2 - Google Voice integration, XO - Subsonic Commander media streamer, AB:S Launcher
    (1:39:33 PM) halfhalo: Android multitasking is like sticking your fingers into a blender
    GO OPEN WEBOS!
    People asked me for a donate link for my non-catalog work, so here you are:
  6. #6  
    Quote Originally Posted by eblade View Post
    that and it is a pretty cool hack. Question is, how feasible would it be to undertake doing this without destroying any existing hardware? Or does all the donation stuff just come from the touchstone-back, of which there might be millions out there? In which case, I'm going to modify EVERYTHING IN THE HOUSE.
    I think I'll try to set up my toaster for the touchstone...not sure about my fridge though.
    Sent from my slowly diminishing intellect

    I'm just a soul who's intentions are good...oh Lord, please don't let me be misunderstood!

  7. #7  
    Quote Originally Posted by eblade View Post
    that and it is a pretty cool hack. Question is, how feasible would it be to undertake doing this without destroying any existing hardware? Or does all the donation stuff just come from the touchstone-back, of which there might be millions out there? In which case, I'm going to modify EVERYTHING IN THE HOUSE.
    This is nothing new -- it has been done to several phones. Here's the EVO from back in June of 2010: HTC EVO 4G Touchstone hack adds wireless charging [Video] - SlashGear

    It is done like Rod did it, there is no way it can be done without destroying existing hardware, and potentially destroying the hardware to which you are trying to apply it. Anytime you start taking phones apart and start soldering connections you run the risk of not just bricking, but frying your phone. But, having said that, this appears to be less tricky than FrankenPre.
  8. #8  
    Quote Originally Posted by Rockbeast View Post
    I think I'll try to set up my toaster for the touchstone...not sure about my fridge though.
    What exactly does the toaster do with Exhibition mode enabled?
  9. #9  
    Quote Originally Posted by Mikey47 View Post
    What exactly does the toaster do with Exhibition mode enabled?
    It will burn an image of the current time and your daily calendar appointments into your bagel...but you will still have to butter it yourself...that feature isn't available in webOS 2.x.x...
    Sent from my slowly diminishing intellect

    I'm just a soul who's intentions are good...oh Lord, please don't let me be misunderstood!

    Rnp, sledge007 and W00sh like this.
  10. #10  
    Quote Originally Posted by rwhitby View Post
    A viable porting target for webOS has to have inductive charging..

    -- Rod
    How would that work with Exhibition, theoretically speaking? Because if we just supply the voltage it'll think we plugged in the AC adapter or USB cable and that won't trigger Exhibition.
  11. #11  
    So, we don't have any way of obtaining those coils other than taking apart phones? Or was the donor hardware all from the covers?
    Author:
    Remove Messaging Beeps patch for webOS 3.0.5, Left/Right bezel gestures in LunaCE,
    Whazaa! Messenger and node-wa, SynerGV 1 and 2 - Google Voice integration, XO - Subsonic Commander media streamer, AB:S Launcher
    (1:39:33 PM) halfhalo: Android multitasking is like sticking your fingers into a blender
    GO OPEN WEBOS!
    People asked me for a donate link for my non-catalog work, so here you are:
  12.    #12  
    Quote Originally Posted by eblade View Post
    So, we don't have any way of obtaining those coils other than taking apart phones? Or was the donor hardware all from the covers?
    Donor hardware is all from covers. Specifically a Pre/Pre+ touchstone back in this case.

    -- Rod
    Last edited by rwhitby; 01/16/2012 at 03:25 PM.
  13.    #13  
    Quote Originally Posted by Mikey47 View Post
    Why? Just because you've gotten used to it?
    Yes. Inductive (or pogo-pin style as an alternative) charging is one of the major criteria that I personally have for a phone. I simply don't see how anyone can go back to plugging in a USB cable every single day to charge their phone.

    -- Rod
    Last edited by rwhitby; 01/16/2012 at 03:25 PM.
    GuyFromNam, renater and g7 like this.
  14.    #14  
    Quote Originally Posted by Mikey47 View Post
    This is nothing new -- it has been done to several phones. Here's the EVO from back in June of 2010: HTC EVO 4G Touchstone hack adds wireless charging [Video] - SlashGear

    It is done like Rod did it, there is no way it can be done without destroying existing hardware, and potentially destroying the hardware to which you are trying to apply it. Anytime you start taking phones apart and start soldering connections you run the risk of not just bricking, but frying your phone. But, having said that, this appears to be less tricky than FrankenPre.
    FrankenPre does not involve soldering risk. The risk of soldering on a Nexus S is quite high. You will note that some of the pictures are from 2011 and some are from 2012 - that is because I stuffed up the soldering and had to get someone else to fix it for me.

    -- Rod
    Last edited by rwhitby; 01/16/2012 at 03:23 PM.
  15. #15  
    Quote Originally Posted by rwhitby View Post
    A viable porting target for webOS has to have inductive charging..

    -- Rod
    Makes sense. Our phones won't last forever.
  16.    #16  
    Quote Originally Posted by ToniCipriani View Post
    How would that work with Exhibition, theoretically speaking? Because if we just supply the voltage it'll think we plugged in the AC adapter or USB cable and that won't trigger Exhibition.
    That is correct. I'm thinking a combination of the charging signal, and a particular accelerometer range of values, will be able to distinguish touchstone from regular USB charging.

    -- Rod
    WebOS Internals and Preware Founder and Developer
    You may wish to donate by Paypal to donations @ webos-internals.org if you find our work useful.
    All donations go back into development.
    www.webos-internals.org twitter.com/webosinternals facebook.com/webosinternals
  17. #17  
    Quote Originally Posted by Mikey47 View Post
    Why? Just because you've gotten used to it?
    Why not? The Touchstone is one of the best innovations that came with webOS and personally I cannot imagine having to do without it now.
    Pre3 (AT&T meta-doctored to ROW) webOS 2.2.4 build 3175
    TouchPad WiFi (32GB) - webOS 3.0.5 build 86
    App Catalog (US) - Vodafone (India)

    Treo 180 > 270 > 600 > 650 > 680 > Pre+ > Pre2 > Pre+ > Pre3 & tPad
  18. #18  
    Rod, would you say then that this is the best phone for me to get on sprint?
    Last edited by Stevesrjr86; 01/16/2012 at 11:05 PM.
  19. #19  
    Quote Originally Posted by rwhitby View Post
    A viable porting target for webOS has to have inductive charging..

    -- Rod
    Quote Originally Posted by Sanjay View Post
    Why not? The Touchstone is one of the best innovations that came with webOS and personally I cannot imagine having to do without it now.
    Right, my question was targeted specifically at what seemed to be saying was a requirement for a webOS phone was that it had to have inductive charging.

    He's since clarified that it is a personal requirement (that obviously a lot of people share).

    I was just wondering if there was some strange technical reason...
  20. #20  
    Quote Originally Posted by rwhitby View Post
    Donor hardware is all from covers. Specifically a Pre/Pre+ touchstone back in this case.

    -- Rod
    ... so for $4 and some time spent soldering (yeah i'll need to spend a few hours practicing that trick, i'm years out of touch), we can make just about anything that is 3.6v touchstone compatible?
    Author:
    Remove Messaging Beeps patch for webOS 3.0.5, Left/Right bezel gestures in LunaCE,
    Whazaa! Messenger and node-wa, SynerGV 1 and 2 - Google Voice integration, XO - Subsonic Commander media streamer, AB:S Launcher
    (1:39:33 PM) halfhalo: Android multitasking is like sticking your fingers into a blender
    GO OPEN WEBOS!
    People asked me for a donate link for my non-catalog work, so here you are:
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions