Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes
    Global Posts
    329 Global Posts
    I was looking at Windows phone 7 specifically the Nokia 900 LTE phone that will be out this year. What do you folks think about it? I love my Pre 3 and my TouchPad, but if something happens to my phone I thought that might be a good device to get. It's LTE, 4.3 inch screen and nice dual cameras.

http://www.wpcentral.com/first-look-...eo-and-gallery

They also have a soft cover case that wraps around this and I could maybe attach some magnets to the inside back of the cover so I can stick it on my touchstone at night (of course, no inductive charging).

50,000 apps and climbing isn't bad and I really like the looks of Nokia Drive.
    Global Posts
    918 Global Posts
    People seem to either love or hate WP7, but what's undeniable is that no-one is buying it. In the UK, they are having to offer 40 day money back guarantees on the Nokia 800, and the WP7 market share has dropped from 1.7% to 1.0%. The Nokia 900 isn't avaiable yet so to compare it with existing phones would be a mistake; who knows what will be available when it is released. Furthermore, will Nokia still be around by then, or will MS have gobbled them up (saved them from bancrupcy/bought them for a song after nearly driving them to the wall)? And just as a final worry, remember that MS have gone back on their promise to offer OS upgrades directly to the consumer, so depending on your operator, the OS that ships may be the version you are stuck with, as a time when phone OS versions come out seemingly on a monthly basis.

Android or iOS are the ways to go.
    PalmPilot Professional...Palm Vx...Treo 600...Treo 680...HTC Touch HD...iPhone 4S...
    Global Posts
    127 Global Posts
    Well, in my humble opinion, I think it's a better design than the iPhone's iOS. I've owned two WP7 phones, one on Tmobile and one on AT&T. The OS is pretty smooth, easy to navigate overall, and most of the basics are there. The live tiles are pretty neat, especially since more apps are supporting them. Be mindful, though, that some of the phones (the Samsung models, in particular) can be a bit finicky about what SD cards they'll accept, if the model allows one - and once you pop it in, it becomes part of the phone's memory, you can't remove it. This was the case, at least, with the Samsung Focus.

Streaming music was a bit of an issue - no Pandora app yet, so you'll have to go with another option, like Slacker Radio. As for apps, all of the basics are there, and the game options were pretty nice. If you're an XBox 360 fan, you'll enjoy how your XBox live account will connect with very little effort.

That being said - both of mine went back before the trial was up. I always end up back on WebOS, as it's just spoiled me by its elegance. I know lots of folks hold the number of apps available in high regard, but I find that the core apps I use, as well as the options provided by the Homebrew community, more than meet my needs. I do about a dozen things on my Pre3... and it does them all extraordinarily well.

But it's a personal preference, in the end. Again, I think WP7 is a great alternative - just be aware there are a few caveats to consider during the switch.
    -= Gihmley =-

Alas, poor WebOS... we barely knew ye...
    rmeigs likes this.
    Global Posts
    329 Global Posts
    My wife has an iPhone 4S and it's nice but not for me. I've played with some Android phones and didn't like them much. webOS will always be my first choice but I figure if I'm going to make the switch to an LTE phone this year, it would probably be that Nokia 900. I haven't had a chance to use Windows Phone yet though and would definitely want to try it out before i decide.
    Global Posts
    127 Global Posts
    I hear you loud and clear. I've felt the same way about Android - it's nice, but it just feels... a little crowded and unfinished, at times. Extraordinarily flexible and customizable, without question; but sometimes a little difficult to figure out just where to start.

I think, short of WebOS, WP7 has a more polished and professional feel. If you're a heavy Microsoft Office user, there are also huge benefits there. Exchange support is great, and with Sharepoint and OneNote support, you're easily connected to the office.
    -= Gihmley =-

Alas, poor WebOS... we barely knew ye...
    I have a Windows Phone. History:

Palm Pre
    HTC Evo
    HTC Arrive

I bought the arrive off of craiglist in the fall and I easily enjoy the overall exprieence more than Android and WebOS.

Android is a power house...a tinkers dream...but the polish is not there...and still not there...battery life is also a struggle.

Windows Phone has polish, has great battery life and I like that Microsoft is pushing the platform...so there are 50K apps out there in a year...will it gain marketshare? I honestly don't know...but i know that MS is putting in a better effort than Palm or HP did and big hitter apps are there (i'm not much of a gamer, but even then, if you are, iOS is your obvious choice).

If you have any questions about it let me know.
    Global Posts
    329 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Brain Mantis View Post
    I have a Windows Phone. History:

Palm Pre
    HTC Evo
    HTC Arrive

I bought the arrive off of craiglist in the fall and I easily enjoy the overall exprieence more than Android and WebOS.

Android is a power house...a tinkers dream...but the polish is not there...and still not there...battery life is also a struggle.

Windows Phone has polish, has great battery life and I like that Microsoft is pushing the platform...so there are 50K apps out there in a year...will it gain marketshare? I honestly don't know...but i know that MS is putting in a better effort than Palm or HP did and big hitter apps are there (i'm not much of a gamer, but even then, if you are, iOS is your obvious choice).

If you have any questions about it let me know.

Thanks for the info. Are you running 7.5? How do the synergy services compare to webOS?
    Yes running Mango right now. IMO Synergy works better than WebOS. Main reason is from comparing Palm Pre and my Arrive there more of my accounts smartly linked together rather than having to do it manually.

But even at its worse..its as good as WebOS...so no beef there.
    Im a long time webOS fan and nothing will change that buuuuttttttttt i have a wp7 phone (HTCTrophy) and i must say it is awesome. Great app selection from games to uttilities to social networking its got it all. Bing vision is awesome. Maps is great. The Metro style is really cool and unique. I would highly recomend any windows phone ove ios or android. The OS is soooo smooth and fast.

It has its downsides when comparing it to webos...The community is kinda lame...homebrew is nearly none existent....no touchstone ( and i dont think what you were thinking with the magnets would work unless all you wanted to do was to have a place to put ur phone and not charge) but all in all its a really good os. If you like mobile games they got some good ones. Microsoft is reallllly pushing to be the big man on campus in the near future. Good luck with your decision.
    Global Posts
    329 Global Posts
    Thanks for the input Bean...

The magnets on the case were exactly just for a mount to the touchstone. I don't mind plugging the USB cable into the top after just sticking it to the touchstone. At least I could re-use my touchstones somehow. I do have an Xbox and was curious about the integration as well.
    Quote Originally Posted by mdram View Post
    Thanks for the input Bean...

The magnets on the case were exactly just for a mount to the touchstone. I don't mind plugging the USB cable into the top after just sticking it to the touchstone. At least I could re-use my touchstones somehow. I do have an Xbox and was curious about the integration as well.
    Well glad you asked this since I just had a "i'm in the future" moment last night. First, xbox integration is great. Can get achievement in games, can change your avatar, see your friends list, send text messages, check and compare achievments and basically everything you can do on your xbox360 dashboard.

But what was amazing last night as with the Xbox Companion app that just came out, I saw my friend had tweeted that the BBC show Misfits was great...so I fired up my xbox360, went to netflix but couldnt' find the show even though I could've sworn it was on it.

I took out my phone, opened the app and under the search pane, searched for Misfits. I found it..its availible to buy on Zune or for stream on Hulu Plus (which i'm a subscriber)...so i just hit Hulu Plus...Play...and boom, in 3-4 seconds my xbox which was in the netflix app, went black and started playing episode 1 of Misfits in Hulu plus. The phone then can act like a remote if you want. Very hand...very easy.

On another note, this video from CES is a reason i like Windows Phone alot....they removed the focus of apps and have built in many of the features into the OS itself:
    Global Posts
    329 Global Posts
    I saw that video earlier and I was impressed. The Xbox features sound really cool. Has tethering been enabled yet?
    Quote Originally Posted by mdram View Post
    I saw that video earlier and I was impressed. The Xbox features sound really cool. Has tethering been enabled yet?
    On mango launch devices....same with visual voicemail. Moving forward i'd expect all new devices to have it.
    personally i'm not a fan of the metro interface asthetically. It seems smooth and usable for the most part but from a taste standpoint i am not a fan of the look. i don't like the bright colors and the one color squares. i prefer the shading and textures of icons and stuff. I was also not a fan of that text based look from zunes too. It was better then old windows phones but just not my style. but it's a matter of personal taste. For example some people here loathe iphones. But i bought a Pre because the icons and stuff looked like an iphone and i thought it would be an alternative i liked. So i'm more of a shiny icon sort of guy. As for the Nokia phone i'm not a big fan of them either. I find the colors of the phone you mentioned a bit gawdy. I'm more of a black phone guy or at least brushed steel. It's really a matter of taste. Metro and that Nokia phone are not my taste.
    Last edited by SnotBoogie; 01/12/2012 at 09:26 PM.
    You come at the king. You best not miss.
    I actually posted about this on Twitter yesterday:

Have had Dell Venue Pro for a month, and comparing to Pre 3. Draw: Calendar, Email, notifications (benefits to each), main camera, browser.

Pre 3 pros: screen, keyboard, size, multitasking, IM, front cam, device menu for BT/Wifi, Universal Search, OTA updates, Touchstone.

DVP pros: ECOSYSTEM, Music+Video player, photo app, Office support, gaming, Bing Vision/Music search, feels faster, and feels way less buggy.

For now, I'm going to stick with the device with a future (sorry webOS). Just wish multitasking was better, and support for more IM sources.
    Somehow I also forgot to mention the TellMe voice integration which is far better than webOS' Voice Dialing.
    Quote Originally Posted by SnotBoogie View Post
    personally i'm not a fan of the metro interface asthetically. It seems smooth and usable for the most part but from a taste standpoint i am not a fan of the look. i don't like the bright colors and the one color squares. i prefer the shading and textures of icons and stuff. I was also not a fan of that text based look from zunes too. It was better then old windows phones but just not my style. but it's a matter of personal taste. For example some people here loathe iphones. But i bought a Pre because the icons and stuff looked like an iphone and i thought it would be an alternative i liked. So i'm more of a shiny icon sort of guy. As for the Nokia phone i'm not a big fan of them either. I find the colors of the phone you mentioned a bit gawdy. I'm more of a black phone guy or at least brushed steel. It's really a matter of taste. Metro and that Nokia phone are not my taste.
    Metro is not for everyone...but nokia most certainly has windows phones in black..

They just show off the eye popping ones:
  17. cgk
    Global Posts
    9,556 Global Posts
    I have a lumia 800, really nice phone that works fine.

Sent from my Lumia 800 using Board Express
    ^jealous. I think i'm switching to AT&T for the 900 whenever it comes out.
    Metro is not for everyone...but nokia most certainly has windows phones in black..

yeah i figured they did. I do find the "eye popping" ones a bit much for me. You don't see a ton of nokia phones in the states, at least over the last few years. Especially smartphone. I heard it's cause they haven't played nice with carriers. Regardless like you said. metro is not for everyone. It's not bad. I think it's slick in some parts. I think i'd prefer it on a tablet for some reason. Not that i'm buying a windows 8 tablet. I tested it out several times in the store. I didn't find it the most intuitive but all operating systems have a learning curve. You have to give it time. But i know me and what i like. And a person is best choosing what's best for them.
    You come at the king. You best not miss.
    Global Posts
    918 Global Posts

That encapsulates a large part of my dislike of the whole WP7 thing - it's so "in your face".

Or should I say "in your facebook"?
    PalmPilot Professional...Palm Vx...Treo 600...Treo 680...HTC Touch HD...iPhone 4S...
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast