Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree34Likes
  1.    #1  
    I have been a long time Palm fan, unfortunately I am also a Verizon user as well. This put me in an awkward place as my Trusty Pre+ becomes increasingly out of date. I had been holding out for the Pre3 but I can not justify the prices they are getting on ebay, for what is essentially an outdated phone unsupported phone, just so that I can hold on to the OS just a little bit longer... that's why I got my touchpad
    After seeing the press release on the Samsung Galaxy Nexus I was pretty sold on IceCreamSandwhich. It definately seemed to have a WebOS vibe, and the hardware was none to shabby either. So as I waited for my new phone to be realeased, with delay after delay, with nary a word from developer or carrier, I started to get excited; This really is just like WebOS! Well I finally got my Nexus the day after the realease, and I thought I might give my thoughts about the phone to my fellow WebOSers who may be on the fence.
    Let me first say, that I have had the Nexus for about a week now, and overall I am quite pleased with the phone. It is a very slick, highly polished device that does a good job of satisfying my tech needs while I wait for the next WebOS phone, that I imagine will be realeased, "In the coming months." That being said this is my first android phone, and I am still learning the OS. If any of my statements are inaccurate, please tell me, I would love to know more about the possibilities / limitations of my new phone.

Things I like about the Nexus:

-It is just plain sexy. As much as I like the WebOS form factor, I would be lying if I said I wasn't hoping for the pre3 to be a slate. No more cheap build quality (coming from pre+ remember) The phone feels sold, a little big, but solid. Plus the screen feels like butter, especially on the edges of the glass. It is just a pleasure to hold and touch.

-I love love LOVE being able to have folders for my contacts!!!! this was one of my biggest grievances about WebOS. I work as a freelancer, and I have hundreds of contacts on my phone, so many I don't know all their names. So when I want to call every one in one group of contacts, I can now do that, without have to research my contacts list first.

-It does not take a half an hour to restart... I haven't yet timed it but I think it is like under a minute. Plus the loading screen while your waiting is pretty freaking cool. Much more dynamic than the rage-inspiring HP logo on my touchpad.

-I am very happy to have a Virtual keyboard finally. It takes a little getting used to, and I'm not all that proficient with it yet, but it's OK because ICS does a pretty good job of catching my mistakes. I had a TXT heavy week and I only sent out one auto-correct typo and no misspellings.

-Flash on my phone. coming from the pre+ this was a welcome change.

-4G(enough said)

-I finally have SHAZAM!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

-APPS! I know that apps are not everything, but it is a nice feeling to know that if you want you phone to do something new, it is only a few clicks away. No more, in the coming months. Though I still prefer the touchpad's app catalog to Android's marketplace layout...

-If you are not familiar with ICS, it has this awesome feature where, when you swipe to unlock, you have the option to either just unlock, or go right to the camera. Now I know there was a similar patch to do this in WebOS, but it was not nearly as elegant as this. It is a very cool feature. Couple that with the zero delay shutter, and I never miss a shot now.

-I love having pop up app folders. It is a very simple and clean way to keep your home screen organized, yet powerful. I love folders in general, and am not really sure why WebOS is not more fond of them

Things I don't like (or miss having from WebOS):

-In ICS it is not nearly as elegent to end a current program. It's more like a mix of iOS and WebOS. Yeah, it may have swipes, but you still have to minimize and jump to another section before you can swipe your app away. Close, but no cigar...

-I Really miss just type. I didn't think I would but that just goes to show you how well WebOS works, I never even thought about it. ICS has a search bar that looks like just type, but it only does Google searches. I cant find a phone number, or an app. Trying to call someone is a rather convoluted and kind of painful process, of going to the contacts list, doing a search, choosing a name, then choosing a phone number. The process takes so long I fall asleep halfway through.

-While the virtual keyboard is good. it will start to lag heavily on a long txt message, say 50 char or more. Never had a problem typing on my Pre+ (at least not after 1.4.5)

-I miss my touchstone... Everytime I have to plug my Nexus in, I die a little inside

-The battery cover is a little unusual, it is a bit of a production to get on and off. And I am not so sure how the clips will hold up in the long run.

-It does not seem to have a stock note/memo app. While I'm sure there are thousands of good free apps for this, I just thought it was a little weird. Any recommendations for a good app?

-copy paste features seem to be not as universal as they were in WebOS. I could be wrong about this as I am still new to ICS, But I thought there were some places where I could not copy txt.

-I miss my free tether

-I miss being able to easilly see my battery percentage. Now it is burried in a sub menu. I know there are widgets for this but I have yet to find one I like.

-I am very annoyed at Big Red for sticking their noses into my phone and getting rid of Google Wallet. It sounded like such a cool idea. I went to buy bus tickets today, and was offered the option to use google wallet, and I died a little inside...

I'm sure there will be many more likes and dislikes as I get to know my phone better, I will try to post them here.
    Wow, I heard toposlky say that duarte made search just like webos, I am surprised to hear you say you miss just type. Gonna have to go the the verizon store and see for myself.
    I'm loving my vzw nexus. I'm a long time palmboi too. Check out simiclock widget. It has a nice clean clock,weather, and battery widget in it.

The thing I miss most is synergy,consolidated email app, and webos multitasking. Otherwise, and I hate to say it, but ICS is really a step up from webos.
    dignitary likes this.
    Global Posts
    110 Global Posts
    OP, I'm not sure why you can't find your contracts using the search bar, but I'm able to type in someone's name and see their contact show up, just below the area for search results
    Quote Originally Posted by Stamponephoto View Post
    ...I Really miss just type...ICS has a search bar that looks like just type, but it only does Google searches. I cant find a phone number, or an app...
    There are a couple of resources that will really help you. The Palm webOS User's Guide to Android addresses most of your transission questions. Here is Just Type:

Just Type (Universal Search)
    ...To set up what is included in a Search, tap Search > then the Settings icon at the top right. (In Ice Cream Sandwich, Tap Google > Menu > Search Settings > Google Search). Then check what you want included in searches including Web, Apps, Contacts, Music, etc. When you search you can limit results to just certain areas as well. See the Search Tips for much more. Then you can Tap Google Search and...
    Just Type "ma" and Mail, Maps, and every Mark or Mary will pop up.
    Just Type "oliv" and Oliva pops up along with local Olive Gardens.
    Press the Microphone to Just Speak instead.
    Trying to call someone is a rather convoluted and kind of painful process...
    Say you are driving and want to call Tom to let him know you are running late. Tap Search and the Microphone and say "Call Tim Jones" Better yet, send him a text by saying: "Text Tim Jones I will be there in 10 minutes" ...or...
    Tap the Voice Dialer icon (details) and say the name or number...or...
    -While the virtual keyboard is good. it will start to lag heavily...
    Try Keyboards like SwiftKey.
    -It does not seem to have a stock note/memo app...Any recommendations for a good app?
    From the Palm webOS User's Guide to Android:
    Evernote syncs notes, photos, to-do's, etc. from your phone, PC, laptop, tablet, etc. ColorNote is a simple alternative.
    ...I thought there were some places where I could not copy txt.
    You can copy text, photos, etc. from anywhere. See Cut, Copy, Paste, and Share
    -I miss my free tether
    "Use your phone as a modem for you PC. PdaNet and EasyTether Lite are popular apps to tether without root."
    -I miss being able to easilly see my battery percentage...
    See Extend Your Battery - Speed Up Your Phone. In particular...
    Battery Status (free, Upgraded $1) puts your real Battery % in Your Status Bar or...

Battery Left Widget - Learns how you use your phone-estimates battery time left
    -I am very annoyed at Big Red for sticking their noses into my phone and getting rid of Google Wallet. It sounded like such a cool idea. I went to buy bus tickets today, and was offered the option to use google wallet, and I died a little inside...
    Well, it is time to live again.

Check out www.androidcentral.com, our sister site for articles like: Get Google Wallet on your Galaxy Nexus.

Also see the Galaxy Nexus online user guide and the Android Central Getting Started.

Take care.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by milominderbinder; 12/27/2011 at 02:12 PM.
    I too just switched from my dying pre + to a verizon GNex.
    I waited for ICS because i wanted to see/experience some of Matias' influence and it's definitely there.
    Can ICS multitask like webOS? NO.
    Also being a Palm fanatic for years and years, i got tired of watching HP continue to kill webOS slowly. it was just painful. and unfortunately, i don't have high hopes for the open sourcing of webOS (Sorry, just MO).
    Migrating to ICS and the GNex has been a relatively pain free experience. I still definitely miss webOS but ICS is better than expected. I also still get my fix from my Touchpad but honestly, it's been gathering dust since i got the GNex.
    Dare is say notifications are even a little better (you can dismiss each one, etc.).
    ICS is nothing like the *hit android software on my wife's old HTC Eris. it's come a long way and i'm hoping it goes much further.
    just my two cents.
    not sure if any of you other galaxy nexus owners also own a TP, but does anybody know if SMS sharing is possible?
    Quote Originally Posted by milominderbinder View Post
    There are a couple of resources that will really help you. The Palm webOS User's Guide to Android addresses most of your transission questions. Here is Just Type:

Just Type (Universal Search)
    ...To set up what is included in a Search, tap Search > then the Settings icon at the top right. (In Ice Cream Sandwich, Tap Google > Menu > Search Settings > Google Search). Then check what you want included in searches including Web, Apps, Contacts, Music, etc. When you search you can limit results to just certain areas as well. See the Search Tips for much more. Then you can Tap Google Search and...
    Just Type "ma" and Mail, Maps, and every Mark or Mary will pop up.
    Just Type "oliv" and Oliva pops up along with local Olive Gardens.
    Click to view quoted image
    Press the Microphone to Just Speak instead.

Say you are driving and want to call Tom to let him know you are running late. Tap Search and the Microphone and say "Call Tim Jones" Better yet, send him a text by saying: "Text Tim Jones I will be there in 10 minutes" ...or...
    Tap the Voice Dialer icon (details) and say the name or number...or...
    Try Keyboards like SwiftKey.

From the Palm webOS User's Guide to Android:
    Evernote syncs notes, photos, to-do's, etc. from your phone, PC, laptop, tablet, etc. ColorNote is a simple alternative.

You can copy text, photos, etc. from anywhere. See Cut, Copy, Paste, and Share

"Use your phone as a modem for you PC. PdaNet and EasyTether Lite are popular apps to tether without root."

See Extend Your Battery - Speed Up Your Phone. In particular...
    Battery Status (free, Upgraded $1) puts your real Battery % in Your Status Bar or...

Battery Left Widget - Learns how you use your phone-estimates battery time left
    Well, it is time to live again.

Check out www.androidcentral.com, our sister site for articles like: Get Google Wallet on your Galaxy Nexus.

Also see the Galaxy Nexus online user guide and the Android Central Getting Started.

Take care.
    Man, that was really nice, I so want galaxy nexus, but also wanted a pentaband in it! I would have taken a little extra thickness for a world phone. I dont know if I should switch to ATT or just wait. Prob w ATT is I would have to sign a contract and also buy a phone for full price. If I dont sign a contract, my monthly bill will be higher.
    If this helped you hit thanks.
    O Milominderbinder have a gift: show everything more easy and simple than really are...

Remove the flicks/lags from Android without quadcore, and we can chance to begun talk about...

And; yes, I have a GNote, and the battery is terrible with lags in some softwares that; gonna be honest, you don't find in same game when playing iOS...

Best Regards...
    "If A Man Isn't Willing To Take Some Risk For His Opinions, Either His Opinions Are No Good Or He's No Good!" - Ezra Pound (Poet & Critic)
    (Happy A Lot, As A Good Carioca!)
    -It does not seem to have a stock note/memo app. While I'm sure there are thousands of good free apps for this, I just thought it was a little weird. Any recommendations for a good app?

-I miss my free tether

-I miss being able to easilly see my battery percentage. Now it is burried in a sub menu. I know there are widgets for this but I have yet to find one I like.
    Color Note -Closest app to Memo on webOS

EasyTether -for USB tether

Battery Status -Is exactly what you want to have, see attached pic at the upper left corner

Light Flow -for LED notifications
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by deesugar; 12/28/2011 at 12:56 PM.
    Pre 3 essentially an outdated phone unsupported phone
    What? How? Why?

HP supports the Pre 3 as they legally have to. We even got an update a few days ago, despite there was a semi-official statement that we wouldn't get any updates anymore.
    Outdated, that's debatable. It might not have the fastest CPU nor the highest screen resolution or highest MP camera, but IMO it's really not outdated. A Pre- would be outdated and unsupported. There are Android phones currently on the market that are much, much worse spec-wise than the Pre 3.

OK, I don't want to start a fire here, just sayin'

Cheers
    In terms of multitasking, I wouldn't say Android is like webOS where it keeps everything in memory but that may not be such a bad thing.

Depending on what you got going on, Android will dump the memory for your browser pages when you're doing other things and when you return you'll see a static image that you cant scroll or do anything until it reloads the page.

It's a little annoying but makes for better memory management which is something webOS has major problems with. In fact the task manager in Android means you never have to reboot your phone.
    Quote Originally Posted by Rnp View Post
    ...I have a GNote, and the battery is terrible with lags in some softwares that; gonna be honest, you don't find in same game when playing iOS...
    Normally I always get extended batteries for my Pre's, etc. but the Galaxy Note reviews say that battery life is amazing.

Engadget said the Note was "lightning fast" and "Battery life is phenominal".
    Android Central said the Note was "Extremely fast" and the battery can "...manage well over a day on a single charge."
    The Verge said that they were surprised at how good the battery life was.
    Pocketnow said the Note was "extremely fast" and "enough power for any mobile enthusiast".
    cnet said the Note has "Fast performance" and "stellar battery performance"

Lag and terrible battery life on a phone that everyone else says is fast and long lasting says that there is a rouge app or setting on this phone. Are you using some widgets? Have apps running? Have you gone through the steps to see what is making yours run so badly and taking your battery?
    sinsin07 and kkhanmd like this.
    Galaxy Note reviews say that battery life is amazing.
    What? Hey, the Samsung sent what they have to write?

Yes, the GNote is fast in many things BUT have - and I'm saying HAVE - lags and flicks in MANY times! I have one in my hands, with S.O. really optimized! Memory cleaned, no widgets (I hate!), nothing running in back... but I can find some lags in some softwares.

But the battery is VERY weak, sometimes worst than the Galaxy S2 that I has. The big screen is beautifull, I like to watch my movies, but have his price!

See well, I'm not saying because other peoples or some blog told: I'm saying because I have!

Of course, the battery can be fantastic... if you leave turned off inside some desk...

Best Regards...
    "If A Man Isn't Willing To Take Some Risk For His Opinions, Either His Opinions Are No Good Or He's No Good!" - Ezra Pound (Poet & Critic)
    (Happy A Lot, As A Good Carioca!)
    Milo, you are a champion defender of android and ios, such dedication and the effort is outstanding. Hp would have had no problem selling webos and getting their asking price if they had you doing the sales pitch for them.

One thing though, you really need to stop saying push the button on the pre to multitask. I have a pre2 and I dont have any buttons. And when I had a pre minus I never used to button, in fact I couldnt wait to get a pre2 because the button used to get in the way of my advanced gestures, you know what that is right?

What I am saying is you seem to make an attempt to make it seem as if ics and webos is the same thing when you know its not, I mean an upswipe anywhere is not the same as pressing a button. And you make no mention of stacks, I dont have to scroll to find the open apps like you make it sound, I can arrange them how I want them and roll like that all day if I wanted to.

Just saying.
    Though there's technically not much difference between "swipe to access running apps" and "push button to access running apps", I personally found that the webOS way of swiping feels much more natural and faster. The cards metaphor just works really well.
    You take Cards and Notifications from webOS and put that into Android, iOS wouldn't have a chance.
    Quote Originally Posted by johnnygewitter View Post
    Though there's technically not much difference between "swipe to access running apps" and "push button to access running apps", I personally found that the webOS way of swiping feels much more natural and faster. The cards metaphor just works really well.
    Totally agree, I have used those other phones. Cant pull the wool over my eyes or fingers as the case maybe.
    Rnp likes this.
  19.    #19  
    Thanks for all the help. I can't wait to try out all of these suggestions :-D
  20.    #20  
    Quote Originally Posted by RBallard View Post
    OP, I'm not sure why you can't find your contracts using the search bar, but I'm able to type in someone's name and see their contact show up, just below the area for search results
    Well I'll be damned, your right. I don't know what I was doing wrong before, but this info just instantly made my phone better Thanks
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast