Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree34Likes
  1.    #21  
    Quote Originally Posted by milominderbinder View Post
    There are a couple of resources that will really help you. The Palm webOS User's Guide to Android addresses most of your transission questions. Here is Just Type:

Just Type (Universal Search)
    ...To set up what is included in a Search, tap Search > then the Settings icon at the top right. (In Ice Cream Sandwich, Tap Google > Menu > Search Settings > Google Search). Then check what you want included in searches including Web, Apps, Contacts, Music, etc. When you search you can limit results to just certain areas as well. See the Search Tips for much more. Then you can Tap Google Search and...
    Just Type "ma" and Mail, Maps, and every Mark or Mary will pop up.
    Just Type "oliv" and Oliva pops up along with local Olive Gardens.
    Click to view quoted image
    Press the Microphone to Just Speak instead.

Say you are driving and want to call Tom to let him know you are running late. Tap Search and the Microphone and say "Call Tim Jones" Better yet, send him a text by saying: "Text Tim Jones I will be there in 10 minutes" ...or...
    Tap the Voice Dialer icon (details) and say the name or number...or...
    Try Keyboards like SwiftKey.

From the Palm webOS User's Guide to Android:
    Evernote syncs notes, photos, to-do's, etc. from your phone, PC, laptop, tablet, etc. ColorNote is a simple alternative.

You can copy text, photos, etc. from anywhere. See Cut, Copy, Paste, and Share

"Use your phone as a modem for you PC. PdaNet and EasyTether Lite are popular apps to tether without root."

See Extend Your Battery - Speed Up Your Phone. In particular...
    Battery Status (free, Upgraded $1) puts your real Battery % in Your Status Bar or...

Battery Left Widget - Learns how you use your phone-estimates battery time left
    Well, it is time to live again.

Check out www.androidcentral.com, our sister site for articles like: Get Google Wallet on your Galaxy Nexus.

Also see the Galaxy Nexus online user guide and the Android Central Getting Started.

Take care.
    You are a GOD! this info is endlessly useful. Thanks so much for the tips!
    Man I love this forum
  2.    #22  
    Quote Originally Posted by Courousant View Post
    not sure if any of you other galaxy nexus owners also own a TP, but does anybody know if SMS sharing is possible?
    Not sure, but if you tell me how to check, I will
  3.    #23  
    Quote Originally Posted by johnnygewitter View Post
    What? How? Why?

HP supports the Pre 3 as they legally have to. We even got an update a few days ago, despite there was a semi-official statement that we wouldn't get any updates anymore.
    Outdated, that's debatable. It might not have the fastest CPU nor the highest screen resolution or highest MP camera, but IMO it's really not outdated. A Pre- would be outdated and unsupported. There are Android phones currently on the market that are much, much worse spec-wise than the Pre 3.

OK, I don't want to start a fire here, just sayin'

Cheers
    Sorry, I meant no disrespect. I guess I am just a little bitter after waiting for the pre3 for so long. Honestly I am tired of the WebOS roller-coaster and hoping for things to get better. I just wanted a top of the line phone, that I didn't have to hack to death to get it to work the way I wanted to. Also I am just tired of having to defend the platform...
    Milo, thanks once again for your informative post. AndroidCentral needs to give you your own section!

(You got any place you post tips on Google TV? LOL)
  5.    #25  
    Another thing I have noticed is that, twice in a week and a half, My signal became so bad that I went from 4G to 3G to edge to nothing! Normally I get almost full 4G; I didn't even have cell signal! It happened in normal areas that I am in all the time. The only thing I can think of is that is was quite overcast on both days... Can weather really affect signal that much?
    Quote Originally Posted by sinsin07 View Post
    Good thing you didn't quit your day job.
    This is where people fail. Cards and notification are not enough to stop the iOS juggernaut. Apple/IOS is more than any individual features.
    Yeah, don't quit your day job either I think you're taking my last statement too literally.

Also remember Apple was the first with a large touchscreen format and a virtual keyboard that we're now familiar with. iOS also had a great following and many apps before Android even came out.

Android is catching up but having webOS cards and notifications would really make iOS look behind the times.

Stopping Apple is not the goal, competition is always good and necessary. Putting their minds on competing instead of suing is really the goal here.

This is more about making mobile OS's better.
    Rnp likes this.
    Quote Originally Posted by deesugar View Post
    Yeah, don't quit your day job either I think you're taking my last statement too literally.

Also remember Apple was the first with a large touchscreen format and a virtual keyboard that we're now familiar with. iOS also had a great following and many apps before Android even came out.

Android is catching up but having webOS cards and notifications would really make iOS look behind the times.

Stopping Apple is not the goal, competition is always good and necessary. Putting their minds on competing instead of suing is really the goal here.

This is more about making mobile OS's better.
    Ok thanks. Understood. I will try and hold on to my day job too!
    As for ios, it's not fair to say that cards and multitaking is meaningless to the general public. We on these forums are tech nerds, the general public has no idea what cards and multasking is all about.

I had a friend ask me what can a palm do that an iphone cant, she thought her iphone is state of the art in all respects. Its an iphone and everybody has one, how could it have shortcomings? She knows now though
    Quote Originally Posted by Stamponephoto View Post
    Sorry, I meant no disrespect. I guess I am just a little bitter after waiting for the pre3 for so long. Honestly I am tired of the WebOS roller-coaster and hoping for things to get better. I just wanted a top of the line phone, that I didn't have to hack to death to get it to work the way I wanted to. Also I am just tired of having to defend the platform...
    Even with android the same holds true. My first android was the Sony Ericsson Xperia X10 with 1.6. It took 6 months for SE to release an update to 2.1 when everyone else was on 2.2 and 2.3 had just started rolling out. A couple months later AT&T is still holding the 2.1 update Hostage from its customers claiming "network compatability issues". By that time I had rooted my X10a, reflashed it with a global x10i 2.1 firmware and had been using it on AT&T's network for at least a month. The up and down rollercoaster and phone hacking will continue...even on Android.

Oh yeah, some features of Android are actually blocked by some carriers if they have something similar they can charge you extra for...like tethering on AT&T.
    Sent from my Dell Venue using Tapatalk
    Last edited by narvarr; 12/29/2011 at 01:22 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by kkhanmd View Post
    Can you swipe them close like webOS?
    Sorry, I had said "clear". I should have said "close". Here it is corrected:

Notifications
    Swipe down on the notification bar at the top to see your notifications.
    ↨ Swipe up or down to look through them.
    Tap one to open it.
    ↔ Swipe left or right to clear (close) it without responding.

Recent Apps
    To see what apps you have open, tap Recent Apps.
    ↨ Swipe up or down to look through the cards (apps).
    Tap an app to open it.
    ↔ Swipe left or right to clear (close) it without responding.

Swipe up or down through the cards to look through your open apps. Tap a card to open that app or swipe left or right to close the app.

KKhanmd,

Please go to a Verizon store and see. As the NYTimes said, Matias Duarte "was webOS." Ice Cream Sandwich is his next generation.
    Swiping an app in the recent list doesn't necessarily close it. Sometimes it only removes it from the recent list. There's been a lot of confusion about this among the android community.

On another note, I absolutely hate how many apps trigger and run no matter what. Why is it necessary for Directv, ESPN, Pulse, Facebook, Slacker, etc, etc... to need to always run no matter what even with all notifications turned off? I don't know why android developers would write certain apps this way. You kill them and they start right back up.

I don't like how ICS closes apps running in the background whenever it wants either. Very frustrating when it closes my IM app without me knowing it. These are really my biggest issues switching from WebOS to my Nexus.
    Last edited by peterlemonjello; 01/02/2012 at 02:27 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by peterlemonjello View Post
    Swiping an app in the recent list doesn't necessarily close it. Sometimes it only removes it from the recent list. There's been a lot of confusion about this among the android community...
    The app does close.

What you see still running are the backbround services. Try Watchdog to see that the services use almost no CPU cycles unless the app is running or making a scheduled checkin.

For instance when you closed Messaging, that closes the app, not the service. This way when you get a text it can alert you. If you tap the notification to open, the app is what will open. If the service were not still running in the background, you would not get a notificaiton of the incoming text. Similarly most apps that provide a notification such as email, phone, calendar, etc., have to always have a service running int he background in order to provide a notification.

What messaging app are you using that closes without saving the draft of the text you were working on?
    The app does close.

What messaging app are you using that closes without saving the draft of the text you were working on?
    IMO instant messenger. Once Android closes it, I no longer receive any Yahoo, Gtalk, or Facebook instant messages.
    The app does close.

What you see still running are the backbround services. Try Watchdog to see that the services use almost no CPU cycles unless the app is running or making a scheduled checkin.
    And this is what people don't understand about operating systems, there are always TONS of things running in the background even when you are supposedly not running any apps.

I've argued this for a long time around here, but no one believes me: just because you swipe a card away in webOS does not mean that everything about that app is closed. Just because you no longer see the card doesn't mean there isn't something running for that app, it just means there are no UI resources in play at that time. It is the same thing with Android.

The difference is that Android gives you tools to be able to see what is running, webOS does not. Personally I believe this to be a mistake of Android - it gives users who have no business (or skills) trying to determine what should (or shouldn't) be running on their device. Granted, pre-Froyo I've seen their were issues with process management, but those were supposed to be resolved in Froyo and beyond.

Don't believe me? Install a terminal emulator on your webOS device and type "ps -ef" and just take a look at how many things are running. Then try running "top" -- this will show you your processes that are running and what is using the most resources (it can be sorted based on CPU, Memory, etc.).

From a user interface standpoint I believe that webOS handles it much more "cleanly" giving users the impression that if there is no card, there is no process(es) running, but those of us who suffered through all the TMC errors know that just isn't the case.

EDIT: Yes, I know this is not the only difference -- I did not want to convey it was the only difference.
    Okay, I think i have finally had my Galaxy Nexus long enough form my official, unsolicited comparison.

Before getting started, i realize the following are true:
    1. The thread title is comparing a device to an OS: I get it, not my thread, not my problem.
    2. ICS just came out, not fair to compare it until developers have a chance to make more apps bla bla; webOS never was given a chance by HP bla bla - maybe it isn't fair, but i am comparing them anyway.

Without further ado:
    1. Notifications: Both are relatively slimmer. webos has nicer icons in the notifcation area (3.04), but ICS has the swipe down to expand the notifications which actually feels more webOS than webOS's system (commence duarte comments!)

2. Apps: Most pre ICS apps work on the galaxy even if not optimized. So there is still no competition in quantity. All my banks (4 of them) have apps, netflix is nice (I caught up on How I Met Your Mother already). As for quality: I must admit, thus far in android world i have mostly stuck with free apps, but so far, I think that where there is a quality webOS app, it as at least as good as whatever ICS has to offer (I know that is a huge caveat). But, there is literally an app for everything you can think of.

3. General UI: ICS has the card metaphor (kind of) going with the task switcher, but it is still not the same and there is nothing akin to the swipe off the screen (again, without opening the aforementioned task switcher). Also, because ICS is relatively new, the menu button is not always in the same spot (sometimes top, sometimes bottom, etc).

4. JustType: ICS wins here because google has their instant results, otherwise, very similar.

5. Synergy: android folks won't accept this, but ICS's offering is NOT the same. with ICS, you get everything in one place simply because google eats all of the other info. your contacts are all in one place because google just took over all the contacts from the other accounts. with webOS, you can keep those accounts separate and they are just displayed together. I like webOS method better, but ICS's method is just google being google.

6. "system apps" - email - if you only use gmail, there is no comparison, threaded conversations are why gmail is so great and webos doesn't have it. BUT if you use multiple email accounts it is RIDICULOUS to have two separate apps for gmail/outlook! (as you can probably tell, I do). As for calendar: i like webOS's look and feel better, but being that it has some google sync issues, that does present a problem for me. So far on ICS, i haven't found a way to manage the colors for the different calendars and google seems to have chosen 7 different shades of red for me.

7. Customizability : Not really much of a difference between patching and downloading an app to customize. on one hand, patching requires preware or QI, on the other hand, those programs are so easy to install and use, anybody who can't do that really isn't customizing their phones anyway.

9. Widgets: they are nice to have, not necessary; but I guess we aren't talking about the world of necessary when comparing 1.2ghz dual core mobile devices.

10. Overall: I REALLY miss webOS, but I think the only way it can be viable moving forward is if we (open source community) can find a way to build in access to android market. Because if its just the OS's competing, I'd go back to webOS.

btw: former pre+ and pre2 owner. Current owner of 2 touchpads (1 for wife) and a galaxy nexus.
    trying to figure out what is an international warranty vs us warranty?
    If this helped you hit thanks.
    Quote Originally Posted by kkhanmd View Post
    trying to figure out what is an international warranty vs us warranty?
    Call the distributor and ask. But AT&T will announce soon. Sprint is to be announcing next week.

If I were to import a phone, I would import the Galaxy Note. But this is to be annouced next week by AT&T.
  18.    #38  
    Okay, I think i have finally had my Galaxy Nexus long enough form my official, unsolicited comparison.

Before getting started, i realize the following are true:
    1. The thread title is comparing a device to an OS: I get it, not my thread, not my problem.
    2. ICS just came out, not fair to compare it until developers have a chance to make more apps bla bla; webOS never was given a chance by HP bla bla - maybe it isn't fair, but i am comparing them anyway.

Without further ado:
    1. Notifications: Both are relatively slimmer. webos has nicer icons in the notifcation area (3.04), but ICS has the swipe down to expand the notifications which actually feels more webOS than webOS's system (commence duarte comments!)

2. Apps: Most pre ICS apps work on the galaxy even if not optimized. So there is still no competition in quantity. All my banks (4 of them) have apps, netflix is nice (I caught up on How I Met Your Mother already). As for quality: I must admit, thus far in android world i have mostly stuck with free apps, but so far, I think that where there is a quality webOS app, it as at least as good as whatever ICS has to offer (I know that is a huge caveat). But, there is literally an app for everything you can think of.

3. General UI: ICS has the card metaphor (kind of) going with the task switcher, but it is still not the same and there is nothing akin to the swipe off the screen (again, without opening the aforementioned task switcher). Also, because ICS is relatively new, the menu button is not always in the same spot (sometimes top, sometimes bottom, etc).

4. JustType: ICS wins here because google has their instant results, otherwise, very similar.

5. Synergy: android folks won't accept this, but ICS's offering is NOT the same. with ICS, you get everything in one place simply because google eats all of the other info. your contacts are all in one place because google just took over all the contacts from the other accounts. with webOS, you can keep those accounts separate and they are just displayed together. I like webOS method better, but ICS's method is just google being google.

6. "system apps" - email - if you only use gmail, there is no comparison, threaded conversations are why gmail is so great and webos doesn't have it. BUT if you use multiple email accounts it is RIDICULOUS to have two separate apps for gmail/outlook! (as you can probably tell, I do). As for calendar: i like webOS's look and feel better, but being that it has some google sync issues, that does present a problem for me. So far on ICS, i haven't found a way to manage the colors for the different calendars and google seems to have chosen 7 different shades of red for me.

7. Customizability : Not really much of a difference between patching and downloading an app to customize. on one hand, patching requires preware or QI, on the other hand, those programs are so easy to install and use, anybody who can't do that really isn't customizing their phones anyway.

9. Widgets: they are nice to have, not necessary; but I guess we aren't talking about the world of necessary when comparing 1.2ghz dual core mobile devices.

10. Overall: I REALLY miss webOS, but I think the only way it can be viable moving forward is if we (open source community) can find a way to build in access to android market. Because if its just the OS's competing, I'd go back to webOS.

btw: former pre+ and pre2 owner. Current owner of 2 touchpads (1 for wife) and a galaxy nexus.
    Well put. I agree with you on most everything. However the one comment that you, and several other have had... I don't get. The mail app? Everyone keeps complaining about needing two separate apps and how they miss synergy, but I have a yahoo email, and a gMail; I can access both through the stock mail app, with push notifications. It is absolutely just like WebOS. I don't know if there is something I am missing, but I don't see the issue :-/
    milominderbinde likes this.
    Global Posts
    110 Global Posts
    Users are also able to go to gmail from their desktops, and set it up to have gmail poll those accounts as well. I use that for a secondary account that I have, and it works nicely as it all flows into the same inbox. When I compose an email, I can choose to send it from my gmail account, or from my other account, from within the gmail app. It couldn't be more convenient.
    milominderbinde likes this.

6. "system apps" - email - if you only use gmail, there is no comparison, threaded conversations are why gmail is so great and webos doesn't have it. BUT if you use multiple email accounts it is RIDICULOUS to have two separate apps for gmail/outlook! (as you can probably tell, I do). As for calendar: i like webOS's look and feel better, but being that it has some google sync issues, that does present a problem for me. So far on ICS, i haven't found a way to manage the colors for the different calendars and google seems to have chosen 7 different shades of red for me...
    5. All of your webOS contacts are in one place too. Palm also just takes them all over. How is this different? In Android you can choose what groups of contact you want to see such as work, family, friends, etc.

6. See the Gmail tips for how to set it up. All of your email goes into Gmail. When you send out you chose what account you want to use. They are coded so you know what account each email came to. You also set up the color codes for each calendar.
    Last edited by milominderbinder; 01/09/2012 at 11:46 AM.
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast