Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree8Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by Grabber5.0 View Post
    The EVO 3D has one too.
    I only have the OG Evo, you're 100% sure it is a "Task Killer" -- not just a Task Manager that lists tasks and give you the ability to stop them? Remember, a "Task Killer" means that you have the option configuring the software to tell it to immediately kill the task when it starts. It very well may, I just don't have access to an HTC Evo3D or Samsung phone to see.
    "Task Killer" means that you have the option configuring the software to tell it to immediately kill the task when it starts.
    Hein? Where you found this? Task killer is to "killer some task", but nothing say that HAVE to be automatic ou manual...

In your case, "Auto Task Killer", can be right name...

Best Regards...
    "If A Man Isn't Willing To Take Some Risk For His Opinions, Either His Opinions Are No Good Or He's No Good!" - Ezra Pound (Poet & Critic)
    (Happy A Lot, As A Good Carioca!)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mikey47 View Post
    I only have the OG Evo, you're 100% sure it is a "Task Killer" -- not just a Task Manager that lists tasks and give you the ability to stop them? Remember, a "Task Killer" means that you have the option configuring the software to tell it to immediately kill the task when it starts. It very well may, I just don't have access to an HTC Evo3D or Samsung phone to see.
    No, I was talking about task managers. I don't believe even Samsung is shipping a task killer.
    No, I was talking about task managers. I don't believe even Samsung is shipping a task killer.
    they are one and the same

http://androinica.com/2010/05/google...are-pointless/

They (even developers of Cyogen Mod call Task Killers Task "Managers") interchange the 2 all through the article.

You have been the only one I have seen that tries to differentiate the 2

-- Sent from my TouchPad using Communities
    I don't think so, task killers and multitasking are two different things which is why I assumed he addressed them separately. I was curious for his need to have to kill apps after he exited out of them even though he's been told its unnecessary.

Also, as I pointed out when a card closes in webOS there is no guarantee that their still isn't something running in the background. Android makes the list of running apps and services easily viewable to users. If Android, like webOS, did not make this information easily available. most people wouldn't have a clue that things were still running.
    That last part is the truth. It bothers me because I can see them [I remember something about system apps being fully closed when you do the boomerang "angry birds" swipe off screen], but it is definitely psychological.

The multitasking issue is NOT psychological however, even though it is only slightly more inconvenient, when you have to go back and forth multiple times in a short period of time, it gets very annoying even on ICS.
    Auto Task Killers are apps that Automatically kill tasks. No Android comes with an Auto Task Killer app. Google asks users not to use Auto Task Killers. Instead, webOS and ICS cards are Task Managers that allow the user to manually switch and close apps.

How are webOS, Android ICS, and iPhone Multitasking different?

To Switch Apps
    webOS:
    → Tap the center button, swipe to the other app and tap it.
    Android Pre-Ice Cream Sandwich:
    → Long-press Home and tap the other app
    Android Ice Cream Sandwich:
    → Tap Recent Apps, swipe to the other app and tap it.
    iOS:
    → Double tap the home button, swipe to the other app and tap it.

To Close an App
    webOS:
    → Tap the center button, swipe to the app to close and swipe it away.
    Android Pre-Ice Cream Sandwich:
    → Long-press Home, tap the other app, tap Back
    Android Ice Cream Sandwich:
    → Tap Recent Apps, swipe to the app to close and swipe it away.
    iOS:
    → Double Tap the center button, swipe to the app to close and close it.

From iOS Understanding multitasking

Follow these steps to switch quickly between apps:
    1. Double-click the Home button to display recently used apps.
    2. Swipe left or right and locate the app you want use.
    3. Tap the app to switch to it.

Here is how multitasking looks on an Android Before and after Ice Cream Sandwich:

Last edited by milominderbinder; 12/22/2011 at 04:25 PM.
    sinsin07 likes this.
    I really really really don't want to get caught up in this "true multitasking" debate. I will just say this: In my brief experience with the Galaxy Nexus it is a fantastic, powerful and beautiful phone. I multitask better when I use a webOS device.

The difference for me is really that the entire os (webOS) is designed around the card metaphor and swypes (more true for devices with a gesture area).
    Oh lord, I know how all the musltasking "cards" work on all the devices including windows phone.

What I am saying is that frequently I have notes, account numbers etc in the notes section for my contacts. So that when I dial the number from the contact app now I have the phone app and the contact app side by side and if I have to reference (not copy) my notes in webos advanced gestures I can go full screen to full screen with just a little swipe.

I do this a lot and I am not convinced that any other phone does this quite as easily and until they do I am not interested.
    Courousant likes this.
    Quote Originally Posted by Courousant View Post
    I really really really don't want to get caught up in this "true multitasking" debate. I will just say this: In my brief experience with the Galaxy Nexus it is a fantastic, powerful and beautiful phone. I multitask better when I use a webOS device.

The difference for me is really that the entire os (webOS) is designed around the card metaphor and swypes (more true for devices with a gesture area).
    I dont mind being "caught up" in this debate because we are constantly being that told these other os are as good as webos when we know its not true. They are a reasonable facsimile of webos, with the sideways cards, please.

What duarte should do is just copy webos word for word and get up there and say yes I copied it, its mine and I will put it on any phone I want.
    Quote Originally Posted by laingman View Post
    What duarte should do is just copy webos word for word and get up there and say yes I copied it, its mine and I will put it on any phone I want.
    God no.
    and by the way, thanks to Mr. Sconix and his advanced patches I love being able to have multiple messaging conversations and emails in a stack. Not to mention using youtube mini and the being able to search for another video while one is playing. Same for web searches, webos is just smooth.

I understand that some people need apps but I am fine with what I have so there is no need for me to switch at this point.
    Who is preinstalling task killers?
    I have seen pre-installed task *managers*, not task killers (not claiming to have seen everything). They let you see running apps and kill them (normal processes) manually.
    A "task killer" and "task manager" is the same thing. Task manager sounds more professional and less macabre.

To answer the first question, HTC. There is an app called Task Manager that is installed by default on the HTC EVO 3D. It allows you to kill individual running apps or kill all running apps at once.
    Quote Originally Posted by Courousant View Post
    However, webOS helps me multitask.
    Best statement I have read in a long time. Really sums it up in one sentence. This is the thing that I think others fail to understand. I have a hard time with the way Android multi-tasks (switch apps, pauses running apps, etc). So much so that it effects my work flow on the phone. IOS is just a nightmare, so I won't even go there. They tend to hinder me, not help.

My take on this is that both operating systems (Android and iOS) have the ability to multi-task built in, but the app developer has to code it in to their app. I have noticed on my EVO 3D when switching apps that some apps will pause in the spot where I left them and others will go back to their menu. That doesn't make me confident when I need to switch to another app or task really quick.

In webOS all apps pretty much behave the same when in card view. I'm not afraid of temporarily stopping what I am doing to check an email, take an incoming call, or answer a text message. I can also pause a game just when it is getting good and switch to something else without worrying about having to reach a check point.

I agree that the multi-tasking argument is just silly. Android and iOS can't even compete on that level. Users of both operating systems need to concede that, just as users of webOS have to concede that webOS does not have the app support or exotic hardware of the other two.
    laingman likes this.
    Quote Originally Posted by k4ever View Post
    A "task killer" and "task manager" is the same thing. Task manager sounds more professional and less macabre.

To answer the first question, HTC. There is an app called Task Manager that is installed by default on the HTC EVO 3D. It allows you to kill individual running apps or kill all running apps at once.
    I don't care what you want to call them. There is a difference between a task manager that lets you view and kill apps, vs a task manager you configure to automatically kill things.
    I don't care what you want to call them. There is a difference between a task manager that lets you view and kill apps, vs a task manager you configure to automatically kill things.
    Well, yeah. One does it automatically and one requires user input. The are both the same thing. A manual transmission and an automatic transmission are both still transmissions.
    Grabber5.0,

Since you went there, check out this story on PhoneDog:

The truth about Android task killers and why you don't need them | PhoneDog

Here is a quote from the article:

Nine (maybe even ten) times out of ten, the rep or friend will suggest you install a task manager or "killer" (as they are often referred to) to help with both smoothness of performance of the phone and battery life.
    Quote Originally Posted by k4ever View Post
    Well, yeah. One does it automatically and one requires user input. The are both the same thing. A manual transmission and an automatic transmission are both still transmissions.
    K4ever you are so utterly clueless on this topic, it's pretty gosh darn funny! Even your examples are hilarious.
    K4ever you are so utterly clueless on this topic, it's pretty gosh darn funny! Even your examples are hilarious.

Wow, then color me clueless for not seeing the difference between a task manager and a task killer. I will go back to my "Task Manager" program installed by default on my brand new HTC Android phone, kill all the task that are running, pack up my bags, and head out the door in search of a clue in order to make you happy.

Edit: I guess I'll dump these forums/stories on the subject that use both term interchangeable also on my way out the door:

http://androidforums.com/android-app...r-manager.html

http://geekfor.me/faq/you-shouldnt-b...r-with-android

---Sent from my HP TouchPad using Communities (a great webOS app!)
    Last edited by k4ever; 12/23/2011 at 02:26 PM.
    Wow, then color me clueless for not seeing the difference between a task manager and a task killer. I will go back to my "Task Manager" program installed by default on my brand new HTC Android phone, kill all the task that are running, pack up my bags, and head out the door in search of a clue in order to make you happy.

Edit: I guess I'll dump these forums/stories on the subject that use both term interchangeable also on my way out the door:

http://androidforums.com/android-app...r-manager.html

http://geekfor.me/faq/you-shouldnt-b...r-with-android

Better yet, I have another idea. Since we have wasted countless sentences arguing over this subject to the point that we are denigrating each other about it, we don't we fix the issue? We establish a committee to clearly define the difference between the two. Once we establish a clear definition for the two, we then monitor forums, online tech sites, and water coolers looking for those who would dare use them interchangeably. We then correct those offenders as soon as they dare to cross our line using harsh words and finger wiggling. This slight of words shall not go unpunished! We will rise up against all those who transgress!

..or we could simply acknowledge that most people don't see a difference between the two and move on to the OP.

k4ever, you're right, I was being an *****.

Merry Christmas!!

Edit: those *'s should be another name for a mule.
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast