Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes
  1.    #1  
    I finally took the Android phone plunge and bought an EVO 3D. I have to admit that I bought it for four reasons:

1) HP is not producing webOS phones and my Pre is dead
    2) Someone got webOS running on it as a proof of concept (no ROM to install yet)
    3) It was $50 cheaper than a Galaxy S II
    4) See reason #1 and #2

I was scared to jump over to Android because I actually use my smart phone for email, calendar, and Internet. It is truly my personal data assistant. The Pre performed this job flawlessly because of webOS. I also did not want to be messing around with multiple settings, downloading widgets and 3rd party apps just to do what webOS does out of the box.

I have to admit that I am pleasantly surprised with the EVO 3D and Sense UI. What I like about the phone:

-The hardware is excellent. It has the same horsepower as the TouchPad (1.2GHZ dual core processors, 1GB of RAM). The screen is big and beautiful. It has dual cameras with dual LED flash on the back and a front facing camera (I haven't tried video chat yet). The camera actually has a hardware shutter button (nice!) and there are big hardware volume buttons.
    -Boots up pretty fast (in about 10 seconds). I only rebooted my Pre twice last month, so this is not something detrimental but it was nice to have.
    -Sense UI makes the phone easy on the eyes and easy to use. The widgets and components of Sense UI complement each other. The Agenda (calendar) and social media widgets are excellent and the notifications on the lock screen are great. There is a universal look and feel that normal Android lacks.
    -Email was easy to set up.
    -The 3D camera works great and takes pretty good 3D pictures. It is sort of a novelty right now because you can only view the pictures in 3D on you phone and no where else.
    -3D games look awesome! I love the Spiderman game demo that comes with the phone and there is a link to more 3D games on the app launcher.
    -The quick access icons on the lock screen are a nice touch. I have the default icons on my lock screen (phone, email, camera, messaging). If I slide one of the icons towards the lock, the phone opens up in that app. Pretty slick!
    -It is lightening fast.
    -It has a built in FM radio.

What I dislike about the phone:

-Can't do to much on the phone with one hand, like the Pre
    -Google Mail opens up in its own email client! This is ridiculous. I should be able to see all of my email in a unified inbox. I don't want to use K9 or other 3rd party apps because I don't know if they will work well with Sense UI.

Edit: Grabber5.0 showed me how to disable Gmail sync in the Google account and set up GMail in the normal email client. The post is below.

-I don't like the multitasking at all (not surprising coming from webOS). Standard Android. It might as well be non-existent. You have to back out of apps by hitting the home button, then select a new app to run. After that you have to hold down the home button to switch between running apps. There is some inconsistency with which apps will pause and allow you to come back to where you left off, and which apps force you back to their menu screen when you come back. I get a little worried if the pause is going to work at all and dread leaving an app to go to another one. I did not have this problem on webOS and it is hurting my work flow.
    -Notifications don't appear when you are in full screen mode. You have to have a sound set to tell you got a notification while you are playing a game. On the Pre the notification appeared on the bottom of the screen but did not disturb what you were doing. I also don't like having to pull down the shade over other apps just to view a notifications and the notifications can't be dismissed one at a time.
    -There is no silence button. My first day back at work with the phone, I'm in a meeting and it took me a minute or two to figure out how to put the phone on silent (just turn it down with the volume buttons, duh!). The silence button is a nice touch on the Pre and missed on the EVO 3D
    -3D viewing from slight side angles gives you a headache. The 3D only works well when you are looking directly at it.
    -The onscreen keyboard keys are too close to each other. For all you folks who complained about the Pre's physical keyboard being too small, get a load of the one on the EVO 3D. It looks bigger, even in portrait mode. However, the keys are so close to each other that I miss half of the time. The auto-correct is good, but a little overzealous sometimes. You can't type extremely fast on it without a lot of practice.
    -The capacitive buttons on the bottom have a mind of their own. They seem to turn themselves on and off at will and stay on for longer periods of time then I am comfortable with. I still haven't quite figured out their game plan.
    -Weather widget gives me the wrong location when I am at home on my network. I don't live in Mableton, GA.
    -Streaming audio is choppy. Could be my signal or the Pandora app, but I don't remember it being so choppy on the Pre and I travel the same route.
    -Settings menus are not easy to get to. Connecting to a new Bluetooth device or wireless network is just not as fast as it is with the Pre because I have to dig through a few menus.

Overall I love the phone. Sense UI looks beautiful and I forget I'm using Android on it, until I have to interact with other apps. The hardware is beautiful. Now that webOS is open source I would love to see HTC make webOS phones. I wouldn't even mind Sense UI on my webOS phone as long as it doen't interfere with Luna.

Do I miss my Pre? Everyday, especially when moving in between apps. WebOS is just easier to use. However, Sense UI makes Android a lot more user friendly, so I'm not hating life as much as I thought I would.

I will post some screen shots and other observations here in the coming days.
    Last edited by k4ever; 12/16/2011 at 02:06 PM.
  2. cgk
    Global Posts
    9,556 Global Posts
    I though that Htc ship their phones with their own unified email client?

Sent from my Lumia 800 using Board Express
  3.    #3  
    Quote Originally Posted by CGK View Post
    I though that Htc ship their phones with their own unified email client?

GMail seems to be the only email account that has it's own settings entry in the sync menu, under Google account. I had to set up my Google account separetely, then I used the other email setting for my other two accounts. It doesn't even show up in the same app.

This is true for just about every default Android email client. I was disappointed that it is the same for HTC's client also.

Sent from my PG86100 using Tapatalk
  4. cgk
    Global Posts
    9,556 Global Posts
    Just set it up as either an exchange or imap account.

You can set up your gmail in the default client and disable mail sync on the Google account. Just open email, press menu, accounts list, new account. You can select Google as the account type.

On the silent switch thing: there is a sound profile widget in the settings group. Add it to one of your home screens and its just a couple clicks away.
  6.    #6  
    Quote Originally Posted by Grabber5.0 View Post
    You can set up your gmail in the default client and disable mail sync on the Google account. Just open email, press menu, accounts list, new account. You can select Google as the account type.

On the silent switch thing: there is a sound profile widget in the settings group. Add it to one of your home screens and its just a couple clicks away.
    Outstanding! That worked great. The separate gmail thing was driving me crazy.

A couple of clicks away is not the same as just throwing a switch. Plus if my phone is locked it is more than just a few clicks away. I will use the volume down button and suck it up for now.

Quote Originally Posted by k4ever View Post
    Outstanding! That worked great. The separate gmail thing was driving me crazy.

A couple of clicks away is not the same as just throwing a switch. Plus if my phone is locked it is more than just a few clicks away. I will use the volume down button and suck it up for now.

I feel your pain dude.
  8.    #8  
    Wow. What is weird is that I have had this phone for close to a week now, but I don't find myself using it as often as I used my Pre. I've started using my TouchPad more. I even removed CM7 from my TouchPad because I had Android on my phone and I needed the space for NOVA 2 HD. Yet I still don't feel the need to pick up my phone, even with all of the apps available to it.

9.    #9  
    Please read this all to see the webOS relevance:

Ok. My son has been home from college for a few days. He is on his second Android phone in the last 3 years and has immersed himself in all things Android. He showed me a few apps that I thought were cool and gave my phone some new purpose, but soon everything kind of went downhill for me again. Let me explain:

Our day started off with him cursing his current phone, a Kyocera Echo. The phone keep rebooting itself every time he turned it on and the battery indicator was low. The phone was not charging. I plugged the phone in to one of my USB chargers and it worked fine. He had a bad charging cable.

I noticed that he was using a task killer to kill apps immediately after the phone started. I asked him why he was doing what he was doing and he told me that if he didn't do that the phone would only last a few hours on battery power. Using the task killer allowed him to get a day and a half charge. I checked the version of Android he was running. It is 2.3.4, so I told him he didn't need a task killer. I know it fell on deaf ears.

He is using Go Launcher EX. His phone is tricked out nice with 8 home screens, widgets galore, and even animated page switching on the app launcher. I told him if he turned off some of his widgets he wouldn't have so many battery issues. He showed me that besides the cool clock and picture frame widgets, the only widget he had that could eat up power was his email widget. However, he had his account set for manual updating. So we don't know why the phone is eating up so much power.

We brushed off his task killer issue. Then he show me some cool apps to use for ringtones and voice dialing. Then we got on the subject of email. I told him his phone wouldn't waste too much battery power if he set his email to push. Which I then had to explain to him what push was. I sent a test email to one of my accounts. The email popped up on my TouchPad immediately, but not on my EVO 3D. I realized that my EVO 3D's default email client did not have push capabilities by default or the option is well hidden. BIG FREAKING PROBLEM!! Thank God I am on vacation right now!

-----Start of rant here-----

How in the heck can you even remotely be taken seriously as a device/system for business folks if you can't even do the basics with email? Multiple client support, unified inbox, push email, etc. are a necessity. I was upset and let it be know when HP dragged their feet on document editing support for the TouchPad so I am not being biased here. Google needs to make this stuff support by default. And quit trying to make people route their accounts through GMail! That is considered a security violation for most administrators.

----End of rant here-----

So I am back to using K9, which doesn't work with the cool Sense UI widgets, until I can figure this out (if there is even a fix). K9 is not pretty, but it works well for this. Too bad I had to go 3rd party for something that should be included in the default app. Email is ubiquitous, like the ability to play mp3s or browse flash sites on the Internet. Especially on a phone that is suppose to be "smart".

I miss you so much Pre! Too bad I had to move on.
    Last edited by k4ever; 12/21/2011 at 02:46 PM.
    Much of what you are asking is in the Palm webOS User's Guide to Android. I wrote the Palm webOS Getting Started Guide to help people with webOS.

My daughter has no problem on her 4.3" phone. What size gloves do you wear?

-I should be able to see all of my email in a unified inbox.
    You can. Use Gmail as your unified inbox with. See push multiple email accounts to Gmail.

-I don't like the multitasking at all (not surprising coming from webOS).
    It can take 8 steps to go back 6 apps in webOS. The EVO 3D is always two steps: Long-press Home and tap your app. See the Multitasking section for more.

-Notifications don't appear when you are in full screen mode.
    Light Flow lets you set repeating LED, vibrations, and sound notifications. Flashlight Alerts uses the camera flash LED as a Notification LED. See the Getting Started section on Notifications for more.

-There is no silence button.
    Hold the Volume down button. Or try SilentMode OnOff. Light Flow can turn off sounds at set times. Tasker can turn off sounds at certain locations such as work or school. See the Settings section for more.

-3D viewing from slight side angles gives you a headache.
    Movies, TV, and phones can be a real chore to see in 3D.

-The onscreen keyboard keys are too close to each other.
    See the Getting Started section on Keyboards. Try SwiftKey.

-Weather widget gives me the wrong location...
    Are you on a cable modem or DSL with a central office in Mabelton? Unless your work is hours away, just keep it set to your home.

-Settings menus are not easy to get to.
    They will be once you have the Palm webOS User's Guide to Android.

Take care.
    Last edited by milominderbinder; 12/21/2011 at 04:30 PM.
    Our day started off with him cursing his current phone, a Kyocera Echo.
    Call Sprint and demand that they accept it back. It should never have been sold.

I told him he didn't need a task killer. I know it fell on deaf ears.
    At the end of the Multitasking section is Google's video asking users not to have Task Killers.

I told him if he turned off some of his widgets he wouldn't have so many battery issues.
    Look at his phone. How could it not have battery problems? Sprint was under seige over this phone before they ever released it. For a normal phone see the Extend Your Battery - Speed Up Your Phone.

I realized that my EVO 3D's default email client did not have push
    Again see push multiple email accounts to Gmail. Or use K-9.

It will be interesting to hear what you think after you have had your phone for a week.
  12.    #12  
    Quote Originally Posted by milominderbinder View Post
    Much of what you are asking is in the Palm webOS User's Guide to Android. I wrote the Palm webOS Getting Started Guide to help people with webOS.

My daughter has no problem on her 4.3" phone. What size gloves do you wear?

-I should be able to see all of my email in a unified inbox.
    You can. Use Gmail as your unified inbox with. See push multiple email accounts to Gmail.

-I don't like the multitasking at all (not surprising coming from webOS).
    It can take 8 steps to go back 6 apps in webOS. The EVO 3D is always two steps: Long-press Home and tap your app. See the Multitasking section for more.

-Notifications don't appear when you are in full screen mode.
    Light Flow lets you set repeating LED, vibrations, and sound notifications. Flashlight Alerts uses the camera flash LED as a Notification LED. See the Getting Started section on Notifications for more.

-There is no silence button.
    Hold the Volume down button. Or try SilentMode OnOff. Light Flow can turn off sounds at set times. Tasker can turn off sounds at certain locations such as work or school. See the Settings section for more.

-3D viewing from slight side angles gives you a headache.
    Movies, TV, and phones can be a real chore to see in 3D.

-The onscreen keyboard keys are too close to each other.
    See the Getting Started section on Keyboards. Try SwiftKey.

-Weather widget gives me the wrong location...
    Are you on a cable modem or DSL with a central office in Mabelton? Unless your work is hours away, just keep it set to your home.

-Settings menus are not easy to get to.
    They will be once you have the Palm webOS User's Guide to Android.

Take care.
    Milo, please read all of my post all the way through.

My one handed comment won't be fixed anytime soon. I get used to using the Pre's keyboard and switching between task with the same hand I was holding the phone with. That it just too awkward on the EVO 3D. I almost dropped it a few times before I gave up.

My complaint is about the default email client. I am using K9 now. However, the EVO 3D has a cool Email widget that displays your last unread email on the lock screen. That doesn't work with K9. Also, K9 is not the best thing to look at, but it works well. I just amazes me that standard email was given little attention by Google. Probably because they want everyone to use GMail, which is well supported (imagine that). Routing my work email through GMail is a big security violation. I'm skating on thin ice using a mobile email client already.

WebOS has better multi-tasking than Android, hands down. I'm getting a little used to Android, but I sure miss webOS. Holding the home button, waiting for the a six icon grid to show up to switch apps just isn't as good as card view.

The blinking light Morse Code notification thing is great when my phone has been sitting there for a while and I want a quick reference about whether or not I got a message. However, that is not what I'm talking about. I like when you play a full screen game or view a full screen video in webOS, receive a notification, and it pops up on the lower part of the screen (on the Pre).

I figured out holding down the volume down button, even mentioned that in the first post. Not as quick as just flipping a switch. I don't need a location aware volume toggle. That sounds cool, but it would be overkill. I just liked having a quick way to turn off the volume and know it is off at a glance.

The 3D viewing angle is a hardware thing that won't be overcome until someone comes up with better 3D technology. Not a big deal to me. I know to look at it straight on, but everyone else that views my phone has issues with it.

Getting another on screen keyboard is not going to fix the buttons being too close to each other. The screen is not wide enough in portrait mode. Not that much of a problem on a phone like the Pre with a real keyboard because you can feel the keys and figure out where your fingers are at. The onscreen keyboard doesn't have the feel, regardless of which one you chose. I also hate how the keyboard takes up so much screen real estate in landscape mode also. There nothing anyone can do about these issues. Just comes with not having a real keyboard. I'm getting used to typing on it (with both hands) and the auto correct has come in a lot more handy than on the Pre.

I'm on a cable modem at home. The widget defaults to Mableton whenever I'm on wifi at home, which is all the time.

I use the widgets built into the notification shade on the EVO 3D to turn on/off wifi and bluetooth. However, the widgets are just limited to turning them on and off. If I want to go further, like chose which network or bluetooth device I want to connect to, I have to go deep into the settings menu.

I read part of your guide before switching to Android. Good stuff. Thanks for taking the time to reply.
  13.    #13  
    Quote Originally Posted by milominderbinder View Post
    Our day started off with him cursing his current phone, a Kyocera Echo.
    Call Sprint and demand that they accept it back. It should never have been sold.

I told him he didn't need a task killer. I know it fell on deaf ears.
    At the end of the Multitasking section is Google's video asking users not to have Task Killers.

I told him if he turned off some of his widgets he wouldn't have so many battery issues.
    Look at his phone. How could it not have battery problems? Sprint was under seige over this phone before they ever released it. For a normal phone see the Extend Your Battery - Speed Up Your Phone.

I realized that my EVO 3D's default email client did not have push
    Again see push multiple email accounts to Gmail. Or use K-9.

It will be interesting to hear what you think after you have had your phone for a week.
    I like the Echo. Cool concept. My son over reacted to a bad charging cord. If he had just took a couple of breaths he would have figured it out.

His phone is doing well with all the power hungry widgets turned off.

I'm already using K9 and I will never use GMail to push my work email. I'm not comfortable using GMail for anything but GMail.

I have had the phone for well over a week now. It's a beautiful phone. The hardware is awesome. The software is so so. I love the fact that there are a lot of apps, especially the games and ringtone apps. It's just a little too much to deal with sometimes. After spending countless hours setting up/fixing my daughter's Android tablet and tweaking CM7 on my TouchPad, I am all Android out. I only changed the wallpaper and logged into my accounts on the EVO 3D. That's all I really plan on doing. I just want something that works right out of the box or requires minimum configuration to get right and stay right.
  14.    #14  
    Quote Originally Posted by k4ever View Post
    I like the Echo. Cool concept. My son over reacted to a bad charging cord. If he had just took a couple of breaths he would have figured it out.

His phone is doing well with all the power hungry widgets turned off.

I'm already using K9 and I will never use GMail to push my work email. I'm not comfortable using GMail for anything but GMail.

I have had the phone for well over a week now. It's a beautiful phone. The hardware is awesome. The software is so so. I love the fact that there are a lot of apps, especially the games and ringtone apps. It's just a little too much to deal with sometimes. After spending countless hours setting up/fixing my daughter's Android tablet and tweaking CM7 on my TouchPad, I am all Android out. I only changed the wallpaper and logged into my accounts on the EVO 3D. That's all I really plan on doing. I just want something that works right out of the box or requires minimum configuration to get right and stay right.
    It's been four months now since I have owned the EVO 3D. I figured I would finally update this post. I miss my Pre almost everyday. Also, almost everyday I have felt the need to express my displeasure with Android. Instead of doing so, I figure I would just let it build up. Plus, I was taught that if you have nothing good to say it is best not to say anything at all.

First, email is a PITA on this thing! The keyboard is inaccurate, the spell checker causes more problems then it fixes, and you need a third party email client (K9) to get all of your emails making the Sense email notification widget worthless. I will cover some of these in detail below. Bottom line, I don't use the phone to send emails at all. I just use it to read them. Major failure. I use to send at least 10 emails a day from my Pre. My productivity took a nose dive with this phone.

Second, the capacitive buttons are driving me crazy! I definitely can't use this thing with one hand like the Pre. I keep accidentally hitting the wrong darn button with my thumb. Why do you need so many darn buttons on a touchscreen phone anyway? There is a home button, menu button, back button, and search button. This seems to be the norm for Android phones. Why not just add these navigation features to the darn apps and only include a hardware home button? If Apple and HP/Palm can figure this out, why not Google and it's hardware partners?

Third, the keyboard. Where do I began? Well I can't type on this thing with my thumb while holding it with the same hand like on the Pre. I make too many mistakes because the keys are too close to each other. The spell checker is frustrating and, IMHO, worthless. The way webOS spell checks is light years better. The problem is that the spell checker doesn't highlight a word after it corrects it. If you are typing fast in Android and it thinks you misspelled a word, it gets automatically corrected. You have to hit the back arrow to uncorrect the word. You hit the space bar to accept the correction and there is no going back from there. Problem is that most people don't check for errors until after the sentence is completed. If you meant to spell a word in the middle of the sentence a certain way and it gets auto-corrected, you have already hit the space bar several times before you catch it. You have tap on the screen after the word to move the cursor their (since there are no cursor navigation arrows on the keyboard), backspace to remove the word, then re-type it. The darn spell checker will fight you along the way changing the spelling of the word back. Ugh!! WebOS places a line under the corrected word. You just tap on the word AFTER completing your thought/sentence and it will give you the option to change it back. Why not have a separate numbers row on the keyboard? It is a software keyboard so it should be easy to add.

Forth, there is a glitch with the phone application. If I'm in a call and I accidentally hit one of the capacitive buttons, which happens a lot, the phone application is minimized. I should be able to hit the software phone button on Sense or click on the phone notification to get it to come back up. Several times neither one has worked. The phone notification icon is on the bar, but the phone controls would disappear from the notification shade. At the same time when I hit the phone software button, it doesn't recognize the existing call and sets up to start another one. I'm essentially locked into a call until the other person hangs up. I have also had times when the phone would not allow me to access anything else when I am in a phone call. Very frustrating.

Fifth, will iOS and Android folks just admit that multi-tasking on their beloved platforms is a cruel joke and try to get Apple or Google to fix it? They won't do a darn thing until you complain to them. It can't just be the webOS/QNX refugees complaining. They won't listen to us. Plus, you will actually benefit from it. Multi-tasking on Android (2.x and ICS) is primitive. Websites actually pause (stop loading) when you switch away from them. Task switching is primitive. Holding down the home button and waiting a second for a small grid of six apps to appear to select the one you want to open is so cumbersome that I find it easier just to hit the home button once, go back to the home screen, then tap the application icon. It is quicker and more reliable for me. Besides, Android decides which six apps will display from what I was running and their order on the screen, not me. Case in point, I played around with Fruit Ninja yesterday afternoon. I thought I exited the game. I used my phone for several different things since then, yet when I held down the home button a few minutes ago, Fruit Ninja was the second app on the grid. How in the heck does that work? I haven't played that game in almost 20 hours? I want card view on my phone. Not the sloppy implementation of card view that someone hacked together for Android. The real thing.

Sixth, I think widgets are worthless! They eat up battery power, take up screen space (hiding your wallpaper), and are not really needed. The only widget that I even use is the clock/weather widget. BTW, my weather widget still displays the wrong location when I am in my house. However my daughter has the same phone and hers displays everything correctly. Sprint and Samsung's tech support are worthless. I have given up trying to fix it.

Seventh, I hate stupid advertisement notifications! Seriously, if you feel the need to make it so your app places an ad notification on my notification tool bar, I feel the need to totally erase your app from my system and never download anything from your company again. The Gameloft Uno game keeps asking me to play it and advertising the game in the notification bar. I have games and applications asking me to come back and use them again in the notification bar. Seriously?

Eighth, most Android apps are crap! Yes I said it, they are crap. They offer a lot of features but they look and behave atrociously. Hacked webOS apps look and behave better. Case in point, I recently decided to give Spotify a try. I got the hacked version for my TouchPad. I really like the service. I decided to download the Android version for my phone and CM9. Yuck! What the heck was Spotify thinking when they made the Android version? Someone suggested trying RDIO. It isn't much better to use on Android (just cheaper). Google needs to hire some Apple and webOS designers. Heck, they got Mathias and their stuff still looks like junk. Also, what is up with all of the updates? Believe me as a webOS user, I like to see the occasional update to an app (we don't get much). However, getting 8-10 updates every other day is ridiculous. Some of them don't even fix stuff, just add more useless and ridiculous features (cough, cough, Dolphin Browser, cough).

Ninth, build quality. The glass that covers the rear cameras on my phone shattered. I had an Otterbox case on the darn phone. The case doesn't cover the glass over the cameras, which I though didn't need protection. Cheap glass!

Tenth, no volume rocker! Complained about it before. Still a major issue. I am constantly in meetings. I hate having to fig-it with the darn phone just to turn down the sound. The side volume keys don't work when the screen is off and/or the phone is locked. I've got buttons galore on this thing and the one that I would use the most (after to the home button) is not there.

Wow! I finally got it all out. Feel free to pick my rant apart instead of acknowledging that most of what I said is true. That seems to be the thing with die-hard Android fans so I have come to expect it. Without anyone producing webOS phones anymore I am stuck with what I got. There is no use recommending YET ANOTHER ANDROID PHONE because they are all pretty much the same. I hate HP!
    Last edited by k4ever; 04/20/2012 at 02:57 PM.
    everyone knows its not the quality of apps, but the quantity. that's what sells it
    it could be 12 miracle apps that do literally everything, and 5 million that are crap. Guess which one sells?
    /semi-rant
    m505 > Z|71 > T|C > T|T3 > LifeDrive > iPod touch 4 >
    Pre 2 > Treo Pro > Aria > Treo 650 > Lumia 920 > BB Z10 > BB Q10
    Lumia 830 > 635 > iPhone 5s > Galaxy Alpha > Lumia 640 >
    iPhone 5c > Nexus 5 > Nexus 5X > Blackberry Priv
    My Palm OS Archive
  16.    #16  
    everyone knows its not the quality of apps, but the quantity. that's what sells it
    it could be 12 miracle apps that do literally everything, and 5 million that are crap. Guess which one sells?
    /semi-rant
    Unfortunately that's the case. Sad part about it is that I will take free apps on webOS over most of the paid apps on Android any day. I only have a handful of apps on my phone that I actually like and use. I appreciate the apps on webOS more.

---Sent from my HP TouchPad using Communities (a great webOS app!)
    xandros9 likes this.
    ehhhh i was on WebOS, then Android now on WP7.

Lets be real...the quality apps on WebOS was few and far bewteen...AND they didn't even have quantity.

And i'm not even a heavy app user.
  18.    #18  
    Thought I'd update this thread after watching a video on a dropped TouchPad that survived the fall without any recognizable damage. Bottom line:

I am not happy with the EVO 3D or Android in general.

First let's talk about build quality, which is what brings me back here for an update. The Pre got a lot of bad press and post here because of build quality. The Pre's slider has the oreo affect, the USB door comes off, and the screen is made of plastic instead of glass. The EVO 3D is a beatifully thin slab phone (no slider), there is no door or cover over the USB port at all, and the screen is made of glass. You would think the EVO 3D would be better. However, my mom use to tell me "whatever glitters ain't gold" and "beauty is only skin deep" and that definitely applies here. I dropped the EVO 3D once, just once, last Friday from about 3 feet onto grass, and the screen shattered. My daughter dropped her's EVO 3D also about a month ago, face down into a tile floor from about 4 feet, and her screen shattered. Her phone was in an OtterBox protective case. I also crack the lense on one of my cameras while the phone was in my pocket a month after I got the phone. I think my keys punched through the glass. I'm very disappointed because I have to pay $50 to $100 to replace both phones. I dropped my Pre too many times to count. The worse was from about 5 feet while getting out of large SUV. The phone sailed about 3 feet and hit the asphalt in the parking lot. It caused a minor crack on the side of the phone in the exact same spot where my EVO 3D impacted at. You can hardly see the crack in the side of the Pre. You can see the shattered screen on the EVO 3D. Pictures are attached (note my daughter's phone is the one with the cover around it. It was there when she dropped the phone).

I used the Pre for 2 straight years. The USB door fell off (I just left it off), the slider waffles a bit (I got tired of fixing it and it stopped bothering me after a while), and the plastic screen got hairline scratches in it after I took off my screen protector (*****!) but it never, ever shatter. So much for the Pre's "bad" build quality. It takes a licking and keeps on ticking while the EVO 3D gets sent to the shop for repairs/replacement.

Second, the EVO 3D comes on by itself in my pocket and "goes crazy". It will either dial one of my contacts or start an app. I'm standing around and I hear music from a game, someone saying hello, or an answering machine playing in my pocket. I don't understand how it is doing it because the screen is capacitive. This happens at least once a week. My Pre's screen would come on by itself also. However that was only when the slider was jarred open slightly. It would not dial anyone or start any apps. It would just eat up battery life. I eventually turned off that feature in the settings. Do I need to buy a belt clip for my EVO 3D now (along with a case made by Brinks?)? I find the thought of that ridiculous.

Finally, I can't stand using email on the EVO 3D or typing in general. I have not found an email app as easy to use as the one on webOS and virtual keyboards are highly inaccurate. It would help if Android had a decent autocorrect function. However, the autocorrect on Android has more problems then it is worth. I've mentioned it in several post before, but I will mention it again: They need to underline the correction (like in webOS) so you can easily go back and fix it when the word is "corrected" wrong. As soon as you type a new word, Android automatically thinks you accepted the correction and doesn't give you the option to go back. I don't know who types like this. Most of us don't correct words until after we finished typing out our thought (finished the sentence), not immediately after typing the word. The keyboard/autocorrect problems and the non-ease of use of the email apps make me wait until I use my TouchPad (or another computer) to really reply to or delete my emails. I use the EVO 3D just to read them. I used to use the Pre to do it all.

I can't go back to the Pre because Sprint will no longer support it. It is getting old. I overclocked it before and I was starting to see the effects on the processor. I can't get repair service on it anymore and HP/Palm is not updating the OS past 1.4. Plus I paid a lot of money for the EVO 3D that I won't get back. I wish Spint would have picked up the Pre 3.

My son has been through 3 Android phones in the past 2 years (and one BlackBerry). He always complains about how crappy the last phone was when he gets a new one. My friends also complain about their phones alot (also Android phones). Yet they keep buying them. Everyone seems to be slaves to the thought of having apps that they admit themselves that they only use once or twice after downloading them. I had the Pre for a long time with a limited number of apps and people thought I was weird. I would gladly go back if the Pre had better support.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    ICS fixed a lot of your complaints. Just a heads up.

I have the EVO 4G LTE and i had my issues with gingerbread (but i still liked it more than the current state of WebOS thats for sure) but ICS addressed SO MANY complaints.

I get rock solid battery life.
    Auto correct has been improved and misspelled words are underlined.
    Finally, no random bouts of lag that i would get on my old Evo.
    Big beautiful screen.
    Great build quality.

As for dropping your phone, there is no rhyme or reason when a phone finally decides to break..I owned the original Evo for two years with no major hardware issues. Sometimes its just the unluckiness of the drop.

Since you are on sprint i'd recommend you take a look at the new Evo...really is beautiful. My battery life last night:

The Samsung Galaxy SIII should be solid as well as the SGII was everyone's go to phone last year.
    Here is a pic of hte phone:
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast