1.    #1  
    Hey all its been a minute, and I would like to compare my experiances between Webos (which I have used since launch on sprint, stock and hacked), To WP7 Htc Arrive, to IOS iphone 4 and 4s. Ill tell you the bottom line now, Webos is still at the top, only behind WP7 due to it being more clean professional looking, and missing a few features. Android I will not compare, because to me Android even with ICS is not on a level of innovation, though it is better then IOS.

HTC Arrive WP7:

This was my fist transition from Webos officially (I had a Evo since it launched on another line, but always had a Pre). WP7 is IMO is the future in mobile OS's. The reason I say so is because how easy it is to not only access things, but after mango the live tiles provides you all the information you need without ever having to access that paticular app. For example you can group contacts together and when you do the tile is live flipping through animations of each individual contact you put (with their updated picture from twitter, facebook, or the contact). Then if one of them post a message, text, whatever the tile will flip over with that contacts name and show either the full post/message, or state that there is a new message. The home screen is amazing, and this happens through all of its apps wether it be a RSS feed, weather whatever. Next is transitions, and speed of opening and closing applications is flawless the fastest Ive used (still faster then any android, or IOS device I tested). As well as the VK is the very best on the market, so much I rarely used the physical one on the arrive. The Internet browser is a full one, and as well is the best on the market, very fast and efficent. The intergration with zune is a dream, and doing everyday task is not a hassel at all, it just flows (very hard to explain unless you have used a WP7 device on a daily basis for awhile).

Iphone 4/4s:

This is the device I currently have (had the 4s but with so many battery issues before 5.01 i switch to the 4 no difference really in performance that you would notice). IOS is IoS very basic, and IMO needs to be jailbroken to compete with the likes of WP7, Webos, and or android. Of course what IOS brings is the saying "it just works". Things work period, and there is a app for anything you may need. Though other OS's may have the same app (for example the bank of america app) I have found that between the 3 IOS, Android, and WP7 the IOS works a whole lot better and faster, and this is common with alot of apps that are on all the OS's. Apple make sure the app works flawlessly, something I hope to see across all OS's. Now with IOS5 it adds things like notification slide like android, and though a nice feature you still need to jailbreak to add things like twitter, facebook, email, and rss feeds that you swipe from page to page to access. THis is a really really welcome hack, in fact prob the one of the best hacks Ive seen. You can have your full twitter and facebook page on the notification slide bar (you can access anywhere even on the locked screen). even post from it. Also with jailbreaks you can free up more things like page to page transitions, animated wallpapers (works very well no lag at all) etc. What IOS also brings that Webos was tryin to is apps like mobiletv, justinTV apps like that the ability to really stream full bootleg, and regular movies flawlessly and download them. Again version like these for OS's like Android have alot of bugs, and flaws compared to Apple. To me IOS is maxed out, and they really need to incorporate what the jailbreakers due to it in its next version, to be able to keep up with WP7 and Android IMO. To me though Apple does not flow like WP7 when doing basic and everyday tasks. Even going to look for something, its clunky like Android is again sort of hard to explain. It just dosent flow, not elegant at all when moving through apps doing things.

So in a nut shell WP7 is on pace to really run things, as long as people really pick up the OS. I also think Windows 8 will take off (I have a HP Touchsmart 300 and have been using the developers preview since it launched and yes Microsoft again has hit it right on the nail). Android to me will be around but will start to decline once people start to try out WP7, since hardware wise microsoft will have access to the same types of phones as Android, and with just the mango update it is much better IMO to date. IOS again is a beginners phone now, very simple and elegant and again just works. To hardcore users jailbreaking it does offer you awhole lot of hackable options, and with a jailbroken IOS device you will def be satisfied. If Webos is picked up, or continued to be developed for by HP IMO they need to smoothen out the OS to make it look more professional (windows) and less cartoony (android). With exceptional hardware I dont think lag will really be a issue, as well as I think they need to incorporate features that the homebrew community have developed for years into the OS (like IOS needs to), so they can continue to push innovation with the carrier. For me I will be going back to WP7 once they release another device for sprint next year, and hope to return to Webos if they are picked back up, and done right with. Thank you all for reading, and I still and always will support Webos and the community 100%.
    what I really use my phone for are google maps, google calendar and google gmail. I have owned only webOS and Palm OS till now. I love the idea of metro UI and mango or windows 8, but I feel using Google maps, calendar and email, only android would give me such a complete picture. So when nexus prime gets released, I plan to switch to Ice cream sandwich. What do you think?
    If this helped you hit thanks.
    I really look forward for Win8 ARM. If the device easily found at shops around my place, I will buy. The main problem so far on WP7 is the device not easily to be found worldwide. Nokia promises to release several phone base WP7 but up till now I don't see any released.

Win8 will rules all if Microsoft can make that OS integrated between ARM base & x86 base. But I don't think that will happen. ARM & x86 still differs. That really sad. I just want all PC apps & games can runs on tablet & phones.
    a x86 laptop is supported by everyone, but google wont support an ARM based windows phone
  5. cgk
    Global Posts
    9,556 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by kkhanmd View Post
    what I really use my phone for are google maps, google calendar and google gmail. I have owned only webOS and Palm OS till now. I love the idea of metro UI and mango or windows 8, but I feel using Google maps, calendar and email, only android would give me such a complete picture. So when nexus prime gets released, I plan to switch to Ice cream sandwich. What do you think?
    I've just switched to a windows phone and (so far) google mail and google calander are both working fine so far. Obviously there is no gmaps but bing maps seems OK (I also have nokia maps and nokia drive but I'm not sure those apps are available to to other WP7 users).
    Quote Originally Posted by CGK View Post
    I've just switched to a windows phone and (so far) google mail and google calander are both working fine so far. Obviously there is no gmaps but bing maps seems OK (I also have nokia maps and nokia drive but I'm not sure those apps are available to to other WP7 users).
    How do you like windows phone? I have bing maps on webOS now, hate the maps. I have heard windows version is better. I like how google maps have reviews consolidated from different websites, plus their turn by turn directions are awesome.
  7.    #7  
    yeah it depends on your preference. Me personally I dislike Android due to its seems cluttered, too laggy at times, and not smooth and or flow as i think a OS should. IOS suffers from this as well, as so far Webos, and WP7 is the only OS's that flow when you use it, and is a pleasure to use. All the Google intergrations work just as good, if not better on WP7 as Android. Google Maps of course will always get the leg up on android devices, though as stated below Bing maps is a pleasure so I have no need for Google maps. Gmail is universal and Google intended it to be that way, thats where they get their main money (Brand people, they make billions on the name 3X more then their phones they sell rememeber that). As is the same for the Calander, and any other google service etc. So when you buy a phone look for design of a phone, and how you like the OS in paticular, because if it came down to WP7 and Android at this point in terms of usability they have everything you need on a daily basis.
  8. cgk
    Global Posts
    9,556 Global Posts
    How do you like windows phone? I have bing maps on webOS now, hate the maps. I have heard windows version is better. I like how google maps have reviews consolidated from different websites, plus their turn by turn directions are awesome.
    I am really really liking it - once you get to its own quirks, it's a joy to play with. The people hub is particularly good once you get your head around how it works and set up some groups.
    With Launcher 7 and a few widgets you would be all set. This is what I am doing with my EVO 3D.
    Quote Originally Posted by sapient2k7 View Post
    With Launcher 7 and a few widgets you would be all set. This is what I am doing with my EVO 3D.
    what is launcher 7?
    what is launcher 7?
    Launcher 7 is a launcher that mimics Windows Phone 7 screen on Android. It is actualy very slick because it allows widgets (which windows phone 7 doesn't ) . There are 2 versions free and donate try the free version and if you like it buy the donate version it is only $0.99.
  12.    #12  
    Quote Originally Posted by sapient2k7 View Post
    Launcher 7 is a launcher that mimics Windows Phone 7 screen on Android. It is actualy very slick because it allows widgets (which windows phone 7 doesn't ) . There are 2 versions free and donate try the free version and if you like it buy the donate version it is only $0.99.
    yeah it does mimic it, but is def no metro UI sorry. Though it is the closes you'll get to use it on android. So no this is def not a deal breaker for people to switch to android over WP7.
    Quote Originally Posted by wellwellwell11 View Post
    Hey all its been a minute, and I would like to compare my experiances between Webos (which I have used since launch on sprint, stock and hacked), To WP7 Htc Arrive, to IOS iphone 4 and 4s. Ill tell you the bottom line now, Webos is still at the top, only behind WP7 due to it being more clean professional looking, and missing a few features. Android I will not compare, because to me Android even with ICS is not on a level of innovation, though it is better then IOS...
    i think it's really going to be about what the consumer wants. Like i can respect your opinion but there are some things that you mention that i'd have a different view on. Some are matters of personal taste.

Like, i think wp7 is a nice os but honestly, i'm not a fan of metro, or words rather then icons. i don't dig the tiles. it all works fine. Parts of it are slick but style wise it's probably my least favorite to look at. I think the zune look is an improvement over old windows phones but honestly I never dug the Zune players or the interface much. And i'm just speculating but i think a lot of people prefer the look of icons rather then all that text that they have in the zune/metro interfaces. I also think there is a ton to the point you make that iphones "just work." For many people i think that wins out. Then again i've only used wp7 off an on in stores, a lot, but not as a main phone. But i don't like metro so that's not gonna happen. But i'm not sold on it.

i can say, i got a 4s last week. my battery life is insanely good. with normal use today and wifi on all day i'm currently at 80%. That's 9 and a half hours. My pre would be at 30% with wifi off. Some of the points about putting stuff in notification on ios i'd probably go another way. i'm not too into that stuff.

As for Android i think it will continue to grow. i can see where people find it cluttered. it didn't bother me honestly. I liked android on phones. Not so much on tablets but it's getting better. I think Android will be the most used OS for quite a long time.
    You come at the king. You best not miss.
    Thanks everyone for your opinions. I'm in the process of thinking of switching from webOS on my weak Sprint Pre. It's been a long 3 years with the phone or more. I got it about a couple of months after it was released. I've seen Android ICS and think it's got potential, though I didn't get to play with it to long. I have many iPods 3rd generations and have always hated the OS. I've seen videos of Windows8 and think that may be the one for tablets though for phones, it needs to be fast, navigation or mapping with GPS needs to be accurate and instant, email, text, calendaring, FB, music player, of course some games and a decent web browser which supports java scripting and all of the normal interactive drop down menus, etc. So Android or Window8 may work for me, even iPhone as I don't really know what I'm missing in reference to the Apps on iOS which make the iPhone users more productive.
    I think the killer app for Windows8 will be an email client which support's the old native plugins for Outlook. I need things like the Salesforce.com plugins, webex plug ins, Outlook insert pre made text and more. Those are necessary for replacement of my laptop. If that never happens then I can't be as productive. My 2 cents.