Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 27
Like Tree10Likes
  1.    #1  
    Like every other webOS fans out there, I switched from my dying Palm Pre to Android Motorola Photon 4G. I like the fact that all the apps are now available to me but there are other annoying things that over shadows the benefits of apps.

    HP!!!! Why the **** did you stop making webOS devices. So many annoyances in Android
    • Different email app for different email - Email push doesn't work for all accounts in one app
    • Wireless radios are so freaking power hungry that if I leave it on without having Wi-Fi, the battery goes down from 60 --> 0 in 6 second (if you know what I mean)
    • Bluetooth radio does the same thing. I have to manually enable/disable these things when I am not using it to save the battery juice
    • The fact that I have to kill the apps by going to the task manager. No flick to close
    • I am just not freaking happy with Android in general.. and I hate Apple iOS. There is no way I would ever love blackberry and Microsoft WP7 sucks.


    Can someone please get me Palm Pre 3 on Sprint?
    Fisack23, jc-Treo and Vistaus like this.
  2. #2  
    Quote Originally Posted by hirenpathak View Post
    Like every other webOS fans out there, I switched from my dying Palm Pre to Android Motorola Photon 4G. I like the fact that all the apps are now available to me but there are other annoying things that over shadows the benefits of apps.

    HP!!!! Why the **** did you stop making webOS devices. So many annoyances in Android
    • Different email app for different email - Email push doesn't work for all accounts in one app
    • Wireless radios are so freaking power hungry that if I leave it on without having Wi-Fi, the battery goes down from 60 --> 0 in 6 second (if you know what I mean)
    • Bluetooth radio does the same thing. I have to manually enable/disable these things when I am not using it to save the battery juice
    • The fact that I have to kill the apps by going to the task manager. No flick to close
    • I am just not freaking happy with Android in general.. and I hate Apple iOS. There is no way I would ever love blackberry and Microsoft WP7 sucks.


    Can someone please get me Palm Pre 3 on Sprint?
    First mistake you made was getting the Photon...
    susanoo26 likes this.
  3.    #3  
    Quote Originally Posted by koolkid09 View Post
    First mistake you made was getting the Photon...
    I heard the other way around and people were saying it is THE phone for Sprint. Even CNET gave it the recommended phone for Sprint.

    I have heard bad things about Samsung Galaxy S2 and Samsung phones in general with buggy software and etc.

    Android is really too fragmented.
  4. #4  
    But motorola choice should better due to Google bought motorola, so ICS should be have better chance available on motorola devices compared to other brand.

    The only choice to avoid getting the fragmented OS is buy Google Nexus brand.

    Galaxy Tab 10.1 till now haven't yet updated to 3.2 while Xoom already had.
    Last edited by The Bard; 12/01/2011 at 09:54 AM.
  5. #5  
    Quote Originally Posted by hirenpathak View Post
    I heard the other way around and people were saying it is THE phone for Sprint. Even CNET gave it the recommended phone for Sprint.

    I have heard bad things about Samsung Galaxy S2 and Samsung phones in general with buggy software and etc.

    Android is really too fragmented.
    Should have went Nexus tbh... And who ever is giving you advice is really screwing with you. I suggest you go to xda for advice. A lot of people know what they are talking about over there.

    P.S. SGSII>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Photon.
  6. #6  
    Quote Originally Posted by hirenpathak View Post
    I heard the other way around and people were saying it is THE phone for Sprint. Even CNET gave it the recommended phone for Sprint.

    I have heard bad things about Samsung Galaxy S2 and Samsung phones in general with buggy software and etc.

    Android is really too fragmented.
    I think better to wait for ICS before jump to custom roms at XDA dev forum.

    The main drawback of custom roms if you can't do OTA update anymore (or maybe I'm so wrong).

    Be patient and pray... ICS coming soon. Or else sell your photon, and grab Nexus Galaxy.

    The main drawback of samsung products is always firmware. They have decent hardware, but talking about firmware always give me headache. Lately I help a friend change carrier his samsung showcase. Update to froyo from eclair need kies. No OTA. Even updated to froyo, no OTA to gingerbread.
  7. #7  
    Do you have to stay with Sprint? I recently left Sprint to get the Pre3 and am loving it. Ported # to H2O Wireless ($60 unlimited).

    Great keyboard and fast as all can be...I have no need to overclock.
  8. #8  
    So far I've seen many desperate webOS users on sprint. They loyal to sprint, but no newer webOS device to buy. I suggest if you still want webOS, buy Pre3 as secondary phone and keep the photon while waiting for ICS update.
  9.    #9  
    Quote Originally Posted by calpolykc View Post
    Do you have to stay with Sprint? I recently left Sprint to get the Pre3 and am loving it. Ported # to H2O Wireless ($60 unlimited).

    Great keyboard and fast as all can be...I have no need to overclock.
    I like Sprint because of all the discounts and goodies I get with it. So leaving Sprint is not on the table.

    May be I will have to accept the fact that Moron HP killed the best OS
    k4ever and Vistaus like this.
  10. #10  
    Quote Originally Posted by hirenpathak View Post
    someone please get me Palm Pre 3 on Sprint?
    I was with Sprint for 11yrs, family plan, etc. My line was $99, +$8(insurance), + other taxes and fees, I also had to make sure I paid prior to due date or there was a late fee, not to mention you pay for service a month in advance.

    I thought I would NEVER leave Sprint, but after they cancelled Premier Status and wanting the Pre 3, I took the plunge. I now enjoy all that I wanted with the Pre in my Pre 3 running on H2O. I now pay $60 flat monthly with none of the nickle and dime crap of the big 4, and just brought my wife over with her new Pre 3 from a Sprint Pixi and she loves it!

    it is the perfect phone for us along with our Touchpads.
    Last edited by RoverNole; 12/01/2011 at 10:30 PM.
    kathykatia likes this.
  11.    #11  
    Quote Originally Posted by RoverNole View Post
    I was with Sprint for 11yrs, family plan, etc. My line was $99, +$8(insurance), + other taxes and fees, I also had to make sure I paid prior to due date or there was a late fee, not to mention you pay for service a month in advance.

    I thought I would NEVER leave Sprint, but after they cancelled Premier Status and wanting the Pre 3, I took the plunge. I know enjoy all that I wanted with the Pre in my Pre 3 running on H2O. I now pay $60 flat monthly with none of the nickle and dime crap of the big 4, and just brought my wife over with her new Pre 3 from a Sprint Pixi and she loves it!

    it is the perfect phone for us along with our Touchpads.
    Does H2O that you are referring to provides services nationwide? Because where I live, I haven't heard about H2O before.
  12. #12  
    Quote Originally Posted by hirenpathak View Post
    • Different email app for different email - Email push doesn't work for all accounts in one app
    • Wireless radios are so freaking power hungry that if I leave it on without having Wi-Fi, the battery goes down from 60 --> 0 in 6 second (if you know what I mean)
    • Bluetooth radio does the same thing. I have to manually enable/disable these things when I am not using it to save the battery juice
    • The fact that I have to kill the apps by going to the task manager. No flick to close
    • I am just not freaking happy with Android in general.. and I hate Apple iOS. There is no way I would ever love blackberry and Microsoft WP7 sucks.

    1) There are 3rd party email apps that will run different/multiple email accounts. "Enhanced Email" comes to mind. K9 is also one I hear about quite a bit.

    2) You have a 4G phone. They tend to take more battery, all things considered. Also, if you have a lot of widgets on your homescreen that activly poll for data, it will eat your battery faster.

    3) No comment, I rarely use BT.

    4) Just stop manually killing them in the task manager. Let the phone decide when to kill them. You'll not see much of a difference between manually closing them and just leaving the OS to freeze them on its own.

    5) Can't help you there.

    -Suntan
  13. #13  
    Quote Originally Posted by hirenpathak View Post
    Like every other webOS fans out there, I switched from my dying Palm Pre to Android Motorola Photon 4G. I like the fact that all the apps are now available to me but there are other annoying things that over shadows the benefits of apps.

    HP!!!! Why the **** did you stop making webOS devices. So many annoyances in Android
    • Different email app for different email - Email push doesn't work for all accounts in one app
    • Wireless radios are so freaking power hungry that if I leave it on without having Wi-Fi, the battery goes down from 60 --> 0 in 6 second (if you know what I mean)
    • Bluetooth radio does the same thing. I have to manually enable/disable these things when I am not using it to save the battery juice
    • The fact that I have to kill the apps by going to the task manager. No flick to close
    • I am just not freaking happy with Android in general.. and I hate Apple iOS. There is no way I would ever love blackberry and Microsoft WP7 sucks.


    Can someone please get me Palm Pre 3 on Sprint?
    I feel your pain. After reading the French interview with Meg Whitman, I decided to re-install CM7 on my TouchPad last night. Let me first say that CM7 is fast and stable. I am thoroughly impressed with it. However, Android and Android apps are a PITA!

    All of the default Android apps except the gallery, Youtube, and maps are **** ugly. The default calendar app and the music app are very functional, but I can't stand to look at them. I had to search through 5 video players to find one that plays videos as good as the Kalemsoft Media Player. Even the default TouchPad video player seems better than most of them. At least if it can play a file, it will play it consistently. I don't kill apps in Android. They seem to kill themselves when I need them the most. The market has already crashed on me ten times. It hasn't even been 24 hours yet. The market layout is a mess. It looks nice, but it is nowhere near functional. I have to use the search option to find stuff all the time. Dolphin HD refused to go to any links until I forced it to exit and start over. All of the browsers seem slower then the TouchPad's default browser even with plugins set to on demand.

    I don't have email set up yet. I tried to set up my Yahoo! account and it keep kicking me out for a password error, so I've got to figure out what went wrong there. I brought up the same point about having to use multiple email clients and the Android centric folks here told me that I there are email clients in the market to centralize all your accounts. I haven't found one yet. I miss Synergy!!

    My last rant is that everything seems to be made for a d@mn phone! I have found myself using my TouchPad in portrait mode all of the time because most of the apps seem to look better that way. Tablets have been on the market for over a year now. These folks need to get with the program and make apps recognize the environment they are running in and adjust accordingly because 2.3.x seems to be on more tablets than any other Android version.

    BTW, I need to go pick up a Samsung Galaxy 2 S. Amazon is on back order so I can't order it online like I planned. I'm not excited about it and I am delaying it as much as I can. I was supposed to do it today, but I am going to wait until Saturday.
    Vistaus likes this.
  14. #14  
    Quote Originally Posted by koolkid09 View Post
    Should have went Nexus tbh... And who ever is giving you advice is really screwing with you. I suggest you go to xda for advice. A lot of people know what they are talking about over there.

    P.S. SGSII>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Photon.
    Ughh! This is ridiculous. If you say "I am having problems with Android device X" you always get "you should have bought device Y". The OP is right, Android is too fragmented. You don't get a common user experience with it. Every Android owner I know seems to love their device until the new smell rubs off, which is usually a month. Then they have buyers remorse and are forced to keep the device because the 30 window has expired. I always hear "when my contract is up I am never buying another ____ device" (input manufacturer's name in blank spot). My son is notorious for this. He is on his third Android phone from a third different manufacturer. I'm tired of shelling out money for his fetish.
    Vistaus likes this.
  15. #15  
    Quote Originally Posted by Suntan View Post
    1) There are 3rd party email apps that will run different/multiple email accounts. "Enhanced Email" comes to mind. K9 is also one I hear about quite a bit.

    2) You have a 4G phone. They tend to take more battery, all things considered. Also, if you have a lot of widgets on your homescreen that activly poll for data, it will eat your battery faster.

    3) No comment, I rarely use BT.

    4) Just stop manually killing them in the task manager. Let the phone decide when to kill them. You'll not see much of a difference between manually closing them and just leaving the OS to freeze them on its own.

    5) Can't help you there.

    -Suntan
    Suntan, please don't take this the wrong way because I am close to being an all Android user (reluctantly). So, this is my understanding/issues with your comments:

    1. Why do I need to go third party for good email client? I appreciate the fact that they are there. However, email is universal. Android's default email client should be able to handle multiple accounts. Even if you get K9 or one of the others, your GMail is still routed to the default account. So you need two email clients if you have GMail and another service.

    2. Isn't there an option to turn off the 4G radio? I have to explain the widgets thing to every new Android user. Why is there not a warning associated with using them? You can't offer something like that without telling everyone that they will use more power.

    3. I use BT a lot and so do millions of other folks. I'm having an issue connect my CM7 TouchPad to my truck's stereo so my commute this morning was not nice. Wifi and BT in webOS on the TouchPad doesn't draw as much power as they do in CM7. I thought it was a CM7 "Alpha" thing. I hope it is not a systematic problem with Android.

    4. Some of the apps become unstable long before the system kills them. It has gotten better since 2.1, but it would be a lot better if they just let users close their own apps.

    5. I am more happy with Android then iOS, but I wish webOS had a better future.
  16. #16  
    Quote Originally Posted by k4ever View Post
    Ughh! This is ridiculous. If you say "I am having problems with Android device X" you always get "you should have bought device Y". The OP is right, Android is too fragmented. You don't get a common user experience with it. Every Android owner I know seems to love their device until the new smell rubs off, which is usually a month. Then they have buyers remorse and are forced to keep the device because the 30 window has expired. I always hear "when my contract is up I am never buying another ____ device" (input manufacturer's name in blank spot). My son is notorious for this. He is on his third Android phone from a third different manufacturer. I'm tired of shelling out money for his fetish.
    I understand your pain. I am quite happy with EVO 3D. I have gone to using specific apps for specific purposes as this is my 2nd Android phone (and not a samsung this time as you mentioned yourself ).

    I use launcher 7 with not a lot of widgets and battery life is pretty amazing. I do have to qualify that I rarely use 4G or blue tooth. However on Evo 3D turning that on or off is pretty easy through the notification bar (slide down, tap to Quick settings and then tap to turn a radio on or off).

    K9 is pretty good but I am using HTC sense's own email app which seems to be working quite well even for exchange (except for gmail which uses the stock gmail app). It is actually my favorite app for email besides Pre and windows phone 7's stock email clients.

    For calendar I use business calendar. For voice mail I recently switched to Google voice and I like it so far however a side effect of switching vm is that now my sms is through google voice as well (as in google voice has a copy of all my sms). this may be good for some people (automatic backup) but I am conflicted about it, I wished they had notified me that this was going to happen before I switched.

    As mentioned above Windows phone 7 Launcher is actually pretty good at displaying all the info you typically need without needing a whole lot of widgets and moving around to look for stuff.
    Vistaus likes this.
  17. #17  
    Quote Originally Posted by k4ever View Post
    Suntan, please don't take this the wrong way because I am close to being an all Android user (reluctantly). So, this is my understanding/issues with your comments:

    1. Why do I need to go third party for good email client? I appreciate the fact that they are there. However, email is universal. Android's default email client should be able to handle multiple accounts. Even if you get K9 or one of the others, your GMail is still routed to the default account. So you need two email clients if you have GMail and another service.

    2. Isn't there an option to turn off the 4G radio? I have to explain the widgets thing to every new Android user. Why is there not a warning associated with using them? You can't offer something like that without telling everyone that they will use more power.

    3. I use BT a lot and so do millions of other folks. I'm having an issue connect my CM7 TouchPad to my truck's stereo so my commute this morning was not nice. Wifi and BT in webOS on the TouchPad doesn't draw as much power as they do in CM7. I thought it was a CM7 "Alpha" thing. I hope it is not a systematic problem with Android.

    4. Some of the apps become unstable long before the system kills them. It has gotten better since 2.1, but it would be a lot better if they just let users close their own apps.

    5. I am more happy with Android then iOS, but I wish webOS had a better future.
    First off, don't mistake anything I wrote above as excusing android. Iím just pointing out possible solutions for the OP to look at.

    That said,

    1) It is what it is. Iíve never bothered looking at integrating all my emails into the same app (I actually prefer having separate email accounts on separate apps for my needs) but you can easily incorporate all email accounts into gmail at the server-side. All emails from various accounts get funneled into gmail, so it is aggregated not only at the phone app, but at the PC as well. Iíve used it to incorporate an old hotmail account and it works well.

    2) Yes. Some phones let you do it in a menu choice, some let you do it with a widget, etc. I got a 3G phone because I heard a lot of bad things about 4G eating batteries.

    3) Iíve used BT a handful of times on my phones, Iíve never really seen the battery be affected that much.

    4) True, but diving into the service menu to kill each app is totally OCD. You donít need to on a 1GB memory phone running 2.3 like the photon does.

    5) Iíd be happy if webOS just had a bad future ahead of it. At least it would be a future.

    -Suntan
  18. #18  
    Quote Originally Posted by hirenpathak View Post
    Does H2O that you are referring to provides services nationwide? Because where I live, I haven't heard about H2O before.
    Yes, do a forum search for H2O to get tons of input from members. H2O uses the exact same towers as AT&T, I got my SIM card from Best Buy and am VERY satisfied with the service here in Florida since I travel a lot.

    My only 2 gripes are it takes forever to get a live rep if you need one. Now that I am up and running I do everything via internet or phone promps, and there is no navigation available yet, but these are very minor compared to the pros.
    Last edited by RoverNole; 12/01/2011 at 10:56 PM.
  19. #19  
    Quote Originally Posted by k4ever View Post
    Ughh! This is ridiculous. If you say "I am having problems with Android device X" you always get "you should have bought device Y". The OP is right, Android is too fragmented. You don't get a common user experience with it. Every Android owner I know seems to love their device until the new smell rubs off, which is usually a month. Then they have buyers remorse and are forced to keep the device because the 30 window has expired. I always hear "when my contract is up I am never buying another ____ device" (input manufacturer's name in blank spot). My son is notorious for this. He is on his third Android phone from a third different manufacturer. I'm tired of shelling out money for his fetish.
    It's open sourced... Manufactures and carriers can do anything they want with it. You really should know this by now. Just like Apple, Google has a go to phone if you want a pure experience. It's as simple as that.
  20. BooR4dley's Avatar
    Posts
    29 Posts
    Global Posts
    34 Global Posts
    #20  
    Quote Originally Posted by hirenpathak View Post
    I am just not freaking happy with Android in general.. and I hate Apple iOS. There is no way I would ever love blackberry and Microsoft WP7 sucks.
    Have you actually used a WP7 phone for any length of time? I've had one for nearly a year and in my opinion it's superior to Android in nearly every way. It's very easy to use compared to the muddled mess that Android is.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions