Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree10Likes
    Motorola Photon 4G owner here, and I love it. This after seeing the trainwreck of a device my wife's Evo 4G was, so it took some convincing for my to switch completely over to Android for my phone despite having extensive experience with it on tablets. Is the Photon 4G perfect? No, of course not. No phone is. But compared to the FrankenPre 2 that kept failing to do anything right in the last month of its use (even after several doctorings), it might as well be.

First thing I did was root it in 5 minutes, install Titanium Backup and have everything from system settings to all my applications back up to Dropbox every other day as the best insurance possible should something happen to my device. Love the control I have over my data.

Going online to Android's Market site to browse apps and have them selectively and automatically download to a specific device? Icing on the cake.

It's a true worldphone I can take anywhere and have it work on damned near every network. That alone was a huge selling point for me.

Suntan's post(s) said it best. Android handles resource allocation itself, so manually closing apps is absolutely unnecessary. Now on those 5 points:

1. I use Google Apps for Business to handle 14 personal and business email addresses (including my webOS Developer email), so I don't have these issues. Can't really speak to them. I hear fantastic things about Kaiten email for Touchpad as well as the Samsung email client floating around (again, for Touchpad) that resembles the webOS experience the most on the platform.

2. The Photon 4G has a widget specifically for turning off 4G (and a bunch of other controls). Use it. It's under "Motorola Widgets" and I use it whenever I know I'm not in a 4G area or otherwise don't need it.

3. I use my BT in my car to tie into the BT Audio and Hands-Free modes of my navigation system. Zero problems and not much power draw. I don't bother hooking up my Touchpad because that's too much screen to have around while driving; just my Photon 4G BT'd into the built-in dashboard navigation/stereo system.

4. If an app is unresponsive or dragging down the rest of the device, go ahead and kill it manually and see if there are better apps in its class out there. Otherwise, DO NOT KILL APPS. Killing apps manually through a task manager misses the fundamental point of Android app flow, which is to let it do so manually and optimally. Overriding that can actually decrease performance over time until you do a reboot.

5. Agreeing with Suntan.
    Last edited by independent1; 12/02/2011 at 12:06 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by BooR4dley View Post
    Have you actually used a WP7 phone for any length of time? I've had one for nearly a year and in my opinion it's superior to Android in nearly every way. It's very easy to use compared to the muddled mess that Android is.
    Sure. It's something _very_ easy for the North Americans, to spend even more money on. It's so easy you can't even change the ringtone in pre-Mango builds. With a ****ty GUI that wastes screen estate.
    Quote Originally Posted by don_falcone View Post
    Sure. It's something _very_ easy for the North Americans,
    What's with the continent bashing?

-Suntan
    Quote Originally Posted by independent1 View Post

4. If an app is unresponsive or dragging down the rest of the device, go ahead and kill it manually and see if there are better apps in its class out there. Otherwise, DO NOT KILL APPS. Killing apps manually through a task manager misses the fundamental point of Android app flow, which is to let it do so manually and optimally. Overriding that can actually decrease performance over time until you do a reboot.
    I have had to kill some apps manual 5 times in the last 2 days. Dolphin Browser HD (2x) and PowerAmp (3x) are the offending apps. They also happen to be the apps I use the most. I hear you about not using a task manager all the time. I'm glad you clarified using it on unresponsive apps. However, I think Android has a long way to go with doing this on its own and this is frustrating both new users and experienced ones. I shouldn't have to reboot my device twice a day because the OS doesn't want to do its job by killing offending programs and when I do it, it becomes unstable. So I am d@mned if I do and d@mned if I don't. It would be easier to just let me close the apps myself (like webOS and almost all desktop OS) instead of relying on the system to do it for me (like iOS and Android). I'm not so dumb that I need that much help.
    For anyone that feels they need to kill tasks often, there are apps/widgets that simplify the process.

https://market.android.com/details?i...Fza2tpbGxlciJd is one.

Also, the GO Launcher has a nice task manager widget.

-Suntan
    Perhaps you do have a real opinion on WP7...

But you most likely picked it up for a minute or two at Best Buy.
    I'm using an HTC Trophy from Verizon with Mango and I honestly feel that WebOS and WP7 deliver the same satisfaction. WP7 is literally the fastest I have ever used. Apps launch IMMEDIATLEY and the simple interface + amazing animation make it sleek, stylish, and fun to use.
  7.    #27  
    Quote Originally Posted by Suntan View Post
    1) There are 3rd party email apps that will run different/multiple email accounts. "Enhanced Email" comes to mind. K9 is also one I hear about quite a bit.

2) You have a 4G phone. They tend to take more battery, all things considered. Also, if you have a lot of widgets on your homescreen that activly poll for data, it will eat your battery faster.

3) No comment, I rarely use BT.

4) Just stop manually killing them in the task manager. Let the phone decide when to kill them. You'll not see much of a difference between manually closing them and just leaving the OS to freeze them on its own.

5) Can't help you there.

-Suntan
    Thank you all for your comments here. As @independent1 mentioned, I have already rooted my Photon 4G. But still there are some things that bugs me. And to answer @Suntan's questions

1. I did try K9. I liked it but guess what? The push notifications doesn't work for yahoo emails. So I had to manually poll it every some minutes. Don't like it. If it claims to have push emails, it should work for all accounts and not just Yahoo/Hotmail. I actually ended up using Photon's stock email app with some tweaking and now happy with all the push emails for Hotmail/Yahoo/Google Apps etc.

2. I do have Photon 4G but my area doesn't have 4G so I already have this radio disabled all the time. I don't even use 4G. But the point is, it shouldn't be power hungry.

3. I was told to manually enable/disable radios that I don't use in my phone to save battery. Well, I never used to disable Wi-Fi, BT or network in my Pre- to save battery. It was really optimized to not draw battery.

4. I don't do manual task killing per say. This was the advise given to me by some stupid Sprint Service Rep.

5. Windows Phone 7 may be good but you will end up in the same boat as webOS (not all the apps are available on WP7). So if I really don't need the app support, why would I even consider going to WP7, I would rather buy another Sprint Pre.

But here is what helped me. After all these frustrations, I went and reset the phone to factory defaults. Re configured the phone with my accounts and things are working smooth so far.

Things I learned from this was to NOT INSTALL ANY BATTERY SAVING APPS on your phones. They do more harm then good. Also, DON"T INSTALL ANYTHING AND EVERYTHING. Just install the absolute necessary things. If you are not going to use something, just uninstall that damn thing.

Now that webOS is open source, I wish someone can port webOS to these android devices. That would be really really great.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12