View Poll Results: Only answer if you were on a WebOS phone and switched. What did you switch to?

Voters
32. You may not vote on this poll
  • Iphone 4S

10 31.25%
  • Other IPhone

3 9.38%
  • Android Gingerbread

8 25.00%
  • Waiting for Android Ice Cream Sandwich

11 34.38%
Like Tree3Likes
  • 2 Post By tirk
  • 1 Post By tirk
  1.    #1  
    Okay - I have been a loyal Palm user from day one and I love my Pre but it it is outdated enough now that I feel I need a change and thanks to Leo there will not be another Pre.

As a Sprint user I could choose an IPhone 4S, an Android phone now with gingerbread, or hold off to 1Q 2012 for an Android ice cream sandwich.

Any WebOS users who love WebOS already make the switch? To which one and why? And how has it worked out? Are you happy with your choice.

For this thread, please do NOT reply unless a) you love WebOS and b) you have really already switched. Seriously, all others take your trolling elsewhere. I am looking only for those who can genuinely share their experience switching.

Okay start posting.... where is everyone going next?

P.S. Stilll have my Touchpad to keep me connected to WebOS, and being an unredeemable dreamer I am still hoping Meg will reverse all the nonsense we endured and put WebOS back on track, phones and all. But until then... a man's gotta do what a man's gotta do
    Hi ravsteve,

You may want to check out the following thread as this is already in discussion there

http://forums.precentral.net/webos-d...ng-system.html
    All I can say is that I switched to WP7 and free a couple of weeks with mango, I started to feel cramped. I was within my 30 day period so I switched to iPhone. App selection is great, but notifications suck.

That's my take anyway. I hear pipedream sandwich has some webOS influences, but IDk

-- Sent from my HP TouchPad using Communities
    I thoroughly enjoyed webOS, when I had it. (Still have it, actually. LOL!)

I switched to the HTC Evo 4G, because my Pre was no longer reliable. It was great for several months, until the Sprint and HTC updates started rolling in, piling on top of each other and borking it up. Android is a good system IF you don't mind tinkering with it regularly to try to keep a good, reliable phone.

I have the iPhone 4S, now. It's a very nice, fast phone, with many advantages. The drawback to it is, if you like to tinker, you really can't do much with it in that manner.

There are benefits and drawbacks to each OS, depending on what your individual needs and preferences may be.
    Sent from my favorite gadget!
    Global Posts
    918 Global Posts
    I was a loyal Palm user from the Palm Pilot days, but WebOS never produced a keyboard free device, so I never went there. Just gone iPhone and wishing I'd done so a year ago.
    PalmPilot Professional...Palm Vx...Treo 600...Treo 680...HTC Touch HD...iPhone 4S...
    verwon and sinsin07 like this.
    Global Posts
    192 Global Posts
    Love webOS, but made the switch over to android for a couple of reasons.

Went through about 6 Pre Pluses before VZW gave me an early upgrade in May. Was close to getting a Pre2 but I didn't want to get locked in for 2 years with a device so similar to the original.

Was really attracted to the screen size of android, apps, and google navigation so I initially got the thunderbolt... That phone sucked balls. Was super heavy and buggy, plus the battery life was horrendous, but the large screen and turn by turn nav was amazing so I returned it and got the DX2 since it had the latest and greatest hardware at the time.

Been on android for about 6 months now and its kind of a love hate relationship. People talk about webos being a half baked OS, but android requires a LOT of modification just to get it to run right IMO. Its super fun tinkering with it, but its not a very polished OS out of the box. I'm excited for ICS though, because it looks like a really refined version of android. Going to use the wifes upgrade on the Galaxy Nexus.

I would consider going back to webos if another device were to magically present itself with great hardware and an app catalog that can compete, but until then, I'll get my webos fix from my touchpad and continue to use android phones.

Tapatalkin' from my eclipsed DROIDX2
    Exhaust the body, Proceed the mind, Cultivate the spirit
    I loved webos. I liked how few buttons I needed to press to get stuff done. I loved the "cards" metaphor. I liked having a real keyboard. I liked the consistency of the platform. I liked that it was open, although it never attracted enough developers to fulfill the promise of that feature. I liked that Palm wasn't in the business of selling my data.

But I eventually got fed up. Partly it was that I often had to wait a minute for my calendar to open. Partly it was that I got fed up with having HP lie to me.

So I got a motorola photon. I was with sprint, and the iphone wasn't an option.

I miss the keyboard and the cards. I feel squeamish about bequeathing all my electronic life unto Google. But mostly I am happy.

It's fast. It's reliable. It took some work to set it up the way I like, but having done so, I do like it. It fits in my pocket (barely). The battery lasts longer than my work day. (and spares are available cheap, on ebay, from china) Swype is fast, although it can give you bizarre and embarrassing typos. The email is excellent. The calendar loads instantly. It takes more keystrokes to make a phone call, but I hear the phone when it rings. (a problem I had with the pre.) Youtube plays well. My photos look great when I show them to friends.

And ice cream sandwich promises to bring back my beloved cards, with a vertical interface instead of a horizontal one. I am confident this phone will get an upgrade (possibly only by rooting and installing a custom rom.)

If I were doing now, I'd probably wait a couple of weeks to see which phones will get an official upgrade to ics. I think most webos users will prefer it to gingerbread.

The photon is a good choice, though. It's a solid phone with good performance. Perhaps due to when it came to market, it attracted a lot of pre refugees, which can be helpful. And the pre's touchstone sucks to the photons kickstand, and makes a decent dock :-)
    Last edited by puzzlegal; 11/17/2011 at 08:47 AM.
    I went with android with little regret after about a day or two.

You have a lot of options for how you set it up, this is good, but it can lead some people to just throw their hands up and say "It's a mess," or "There's stuff all over the screen," etc. etc.

Take a little time to figure out your options and set it up the way it works for you and it is quite accommodating. Much more so than webOS ever was imo.

I would like a better option to "post" apps the the main screen as a visual reminder that you still want to do something with them, but I wouldn't really want to go back to cards where they are either constantly there and in your face or completely shut down.

-Suntan
    I am soon to face a delimma that we all will have to some day. My 2-year contract expires in March (i'll become illegible for upgrade in January). My wife's Pre (1st gen) has already started it's 2-yr end-of-life downward spiral (doing all sorts of strangeness), so I ordered her that (cough, choke, cough...) iPhone4s (Sprint).

I've been with Palm products exclusively since 1998. I know no other OS than Palm/Web.

So I just thought I'd take a short poll to determine which OS my fellow WebOS faithfuls would prefer once you WebOS smartphone stops working for you.

I'll still try each one out myself, but if I know that most WebOS users are more comfortable with one over another (and why), then I figure it may make my selection process a bit simpler - and that of other people too.

So please answer the poll and leave your reasons (preferably in bullet-point format) as to WHY you favor that OS over the other choices.

-------

MY BAD, I jumped on and created a poll/thread without checking to see what was already out here. Got morphed into this one.
    Last edited by Renderhaus; 11/17/2011 at 02:53 PM.
    <threads merged> Already question and poll on the subject
    Why isn't WP7 there? Anyway, I use WP7 Mango on a Verizon Trophy and it serves me very well. Fast, easy and looks good.
    Global Posts
    918 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ursula View Post
    Why isn't WP7 there? Anyway, I use WP7 Mango on a Verizon Trophy and it serves me very well. Fast, easy and looks good.
    WP7 has a much lower user base, or current take-up than either iOS or Android. I've yet to see a single WP7 device in use in London, for example - the only time I've seen it "in the flesh" is being demonstrated in shops (and once by MS at a railway station). I guess it's just a minority option, like several others that could have been chosen.

(And you *honestly* think it "looks good"??? )
    PalmPilot Professional...Palm Vx...Treo 600...Treo 680...HTC Touch HD...iPhone 4S...
    verwon likes this.
    Better add more options such: Windows Phone 7/8, BB/BBX, MEEGO, or others.

I voted iPhone 4S.. But IMO I prefer next gen iPhone 5.
    I very much miss my Pre and still do after switching to the 4s. The iPhone is a great phone and I really enjoy it but it's not necessarily because of the OS. Navigation seems clumsy compared to webOS. Notifications are improved but still far behind webOS. Customization is virtually non existent besides setting wall paper and ringtones. So this doesn't sound too good right now?

Well it's not as bad as it seems. For those trade offs and mind boggling decisions Apple has made on some fronts, you get a phone that functions correctly. It's well built, we'll coded, smooth, and supported. The single reason for me is apps. The functionality you get on an iPhone is quite impressive due to third party support for software and hardware. My girlfriend has the Nexus S and it's great phone but she's had issues with some apps being buggy and effecting the performance of the phone. Maybe this is where Apple's closed nature, although very much overdone, is to the advantage of the consumer.

Wherever you end up going, you will find yourself missing the things that made webOS so great. No other OS offers the mix of simplicity and openness like webOS does. I'm very thankful to have a touchpad so I can still be on touch with webOS. I've come to really like my iPhone but I don't love it like I did my Pre because webOS is such a pleasure to use. I though can recommend it as a different but powerful alternative to your Pre.
    Quote Originally Posted by LHKJohn View Post

Been on android for about 6 months now and its kind of a love hate relationship. People talk about webos being a half baked OS, but android requires a LOT of modification just to get it to run right IMO. Its super fun tinkering with it, but its not a very polished OS out of the box. I'm excited for ICS though, because it looks like a really refined version of android. Going to use the wifes upgrade on the Galaxy Nexus.
    See...I read that a lot, but to me Android seems pretty polished as it is. Some of the things I miss about webOS (swiping away individual notifications, gestures instead of hitting the 'back' button...and a couple others) aren't such a big deal. Honestly, I think webOS took a step back in its 3.0 implementation on the Touchpad. It was a HUGE mistake for them to get rid of the gesture area.

I really also prefer having home screens and widgets to always having to go through the launcher. I rarely ever open the app drawer in my Android phone (a Nexus S 4G) simply because almost everything I use/need is readily available via the home screens or targeted folders.

I really just don't miss webOS quite as much as I thought I would.
    Global Posts
    918 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by The Bard View Post
    .. But IMO I prefer next gen iPhone 5.
    Yes, but that's cheating, things in the future will always tend to be better. I suspect I'd love a WP8 phone from 3 year's time now, but would it be better than an Android 5.2, or iPhone 6??
    If you are on Verizon, consider the Galaxy Nexus. It is the first with Matias Duarte's next generation UI after webOS.

On the others consider the Galaxy S II. The Ice Cream Sandwich ROM's are already out.

There are 37 features missing from the iPhone 4S including 4G, FM, Notification LED, widgets, NFC, USB Host, DLNA, turn-by-turn navigation, live wallpaper, Flash, Swype, and keyboard options, access to other appstores, Amazon MP3, visual voicemail, etc. But if you have small enough hands you should consider the iPhone.

The biggest differences between Apple and Android are philosophical. Apple says that there is one right keyboard, one right size phone, one appstore, one MP3 store, one movie store, and one theme to use. For some it is comforting to not have to make any of those decisions.

Android gives you freedom of choice over almost everything. But freedom, by its nature adds complexity. For some it is a price happily paid.
    Last edited by milominderbinder; 11/29/2011 at 12:20 PM.
    Global Posts
    88 Global Posts
    For me, I prefer the customization options and freedom of Android. Plus, 3.5" is just too small these days.
    Quote Originally Posted by milominderbinder View Post
    If you are on Verizon, consider the Galaxy Nexus. It is the first with Matias Duarte's next generation UI after webOS.

On the others consider the Galaxy S II. The Ice Cream Sandwich ROM's are already out.

There are 37 features missing from the iPhone 4S including 4G, FM, Notification LED, widgets, NFC, USB Host, DLNA, turn-by-turn navigation, live wallpaper, Flash, Swype, and keyboard options, access to other appstores, Amazon MP3, visual voicemail, etc. But if you have small enough hands you should consider the iPhone.

The biggest differences between Apple and Android are philosophical. Apple says that there is one right keyboard, one right size phone, one appstore, one MP3 store, one movie store, and one theme to use. For some it is comforting to not have to make any of those decisions.

Android gives you freedom of choice over almost everything. But freedom, by its nature adds complexity. For some it is a price happily paid.
    Isn't this visual voicemail?
    Quote Originally Posted by sinsin07 View Post
    Isn't this visual voicemail?
    Click to view quoted image
    Yes it is... Matter of fact Android doesn't have Visual Voicemail stock. Which sucks on my Nexus S and I refuse to use Google Voice because I'm lazy. Still, it should be included in the OS like WP7 and iOS.