Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Like Tree10Likes
  1. cgk
    Global Posts
    9,556 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jhoff80 View Post
    It's probably to be expected, but Office is so much better done by Microsoft than done by Picsel or Quickoffice.

I am really disappointed that OneNote can't view my handwritten notes from my tablet PC though.

Yeah - that's quite nice plus if you use the microsoft office desktop sync anything you are working on on your desktop is instantly available on the phone.
    Quote Originally Posted by CGK View Post
    I also like the fact that you can do remote lock, locate and wipe from the web - (could you do that on WebOS phones????).
    You can remote wipe, but not locate from your webos account.
    Pre -> Pre3 & TP32 -> Nexus 5
    Quote Originally Posted by FliedLice View Post
    Again, different situation. Nokia has been in the cell phone business for years. I'd say they were one of the reasons everyone has one now.
    True. They dominated the cell phone market for a long time and they dominated the early (pre-IOS) smartphone market with Symbian.

But that's already history.
    The alliance with MS is a desperate move to retain market share and regain glory.

But there is 0 guarantee that this will actually work. So far the WP7 UI has not been a great success. And what Nokia brings is experience with high quality hardware. But we don't know if that's what makes the difference to WP7 getting successful.

Nokia bet the farm on WP7 - it's entirely possible that 2012 is either the year WP7 really took off and became a viable alternative to Android and IOS - or the year Nokia crashed and burned because it picked the wrong OS. Past market dominance won't help Nokia if people don't buy their WP7 phones in impressive numbers.

Actually Nokias past success is now also a liability. It raises the bar and sales numbers that would be considered a super success for webos would be treated as a failure for Nokia. The expectations (of analysts and business partners) aren't the same.
    tirk likes this.
    Quote Originally Posted by DrewT3 View Post
    WebOS had it's big push before Android did.
    Ah - a visitor from an alternate universe. I welcome you to this one.
    In our timeline Android appeared long before any webos devices.

I remember having decided to get an Android phone when I stumbled upon a CES 2009 presentation of the Pre and decided to wait for that. And as we all know too well it took another 5 months before the Pre launched in the US and another 4 months before it launched in Europe.
    Took this out for it's first proper field test today, the battery completely discharged in 3 hours 30 minutes.

Looks like I've have to turn a lot of stuff off.
    Holy crap, that doesn't sound good. What were you doing during that time?
  6. cgk
    Global Posts
    9,556 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by nappy View Post
    Holy crap, that doesn't sound good. What were you doing during that time?

I had a couple of email accounts running, some forum posting and played music for 30 minutes - I was basically field-testing it to see how long the battery would last. I've fine-tuned the settings and it looks like I can get it to last longer than that. Looking into the issue, it looks like there is something in nokia's battery management that is causing issues for some users and they promise an update in the next couple of weeks. The other thing is that, for reasons, known only to themselves - this battery only charges to 90% of maximum and is limited by the software, a restriction that play to also lift by software update.

Leaving the specific phone aside - I'm really really liking WP7, the apps are more limited than android but I find it a pleasure to use and I don't miss access to widgets because of the way that live tiles work. Moreover, I was worried that because I had everything tied up in google that the switch would be a problem but it's been fine. Of course like everything OS, it's got it's quirks and there are odd limitations but considering this is version 1.5, I can live with those.
  7. cgk
    Global Posts
    9,556 Global Posts
    It needs a universal search option badly as you say. If I press search, it should definitely have a contacts section listed, in addition to web/local etc. I know you can voice dial with a hold of Start, but I should have the option to type it and pull up a contact if I want to SMS or something.
    Rightly or wrongly - I guess they went with the idea, you'd do that within the people hub. Having said that, there is clearly the functionality there for the search to be extended but they have decided to let third-parties do it - for example, if you do a search and there is an evernote geographically tagged to your location, it will come up in the search results.
    Global Posts
    918 Global Posts
    Can I just go off topic for a moment and say this thread represents why I love to come back here. Can you imagine this topic being discussed in such a polite and (dare I say) grown up manner on most other smartphone forums? They descend into ****** wars in milliseconds!
    PalmPilot Professional...Palm Vx...Treo 600...Treo 680...HTC Touch HD...iPhone 4S...
  9. cgk
    Global Posts
    9,556 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by tirk View Post
    Can I just go off topic for a moment and say this thread represents why I love to come back here. Can you imagine this topic being discussed in such a polite and (dare I say) grown up manner on most other smartphone forums? They descend into ****** wars in milliseconds!

Just as another aside, I've been asking some questions over at WPcentral (all very friendly over there as well) and they are all having the same conversations we had here two years ago (and to an extant still have), they just use "WP7" whereas here we use "WebOS":

* Why doesn't anyone buy WP7 - it's the best OS on the market!

* How can we get our friends to try WP7?

* It's those dirty sales reps, they simply aren't pushing WP7!

Global Posts
    58 Global Posts
    I very nearly made switch to wp7, but after buying a few handsets for others as gifts and using it extensively, it seemed a bit too similar to ios in many regards although certainly better implemented. So going to try anduhroid again with galaxy nexus, buttonless design and new webos like features seems compelling (as does N9 but high price + built in battery sux).
  11. cgk
    Global Posts
    9,556 Global Posts
    You have to filter my view based on two factors: 1) My last phone was a 80 phone with a 800mhz processor and a 3.2" plastic screen and 2) my Wp7 was a freebie.

So while I don't suffer from buyers remorse ("it was clearly worth all that money!"), I am cheap.
    Quote Originally Posted by tholap View Post
    True. They dominated the cell phone market for a long time and they dominated the early (pre-IOS) smartphone market with Symbian.

But that's already history.
    The alliance with MS is a desperate move to retain market share and regain glory.
    I think you hit the nail on the head here. They were falling behind, and needed a huge boost. WP7 was that potential boost. I hope it lasts, because that Lumina is pretty.

Quote Originally Posted by tholap View Post
    I remember having decided to get an Android phone when I stumbled upon a CES 2009 presentation of the Pre and decided to wait for that. And as we all know too well it took another 5 months before the Pre launched in the US and another 4 months before it launched in Europe.
    I'm in the exact same boat. I was dead set on Android long, long, long before I even knew webOS existed. The Open Handset Alliance was announced in 2007. I was really stoked by the original idea. But, when Palm announced webOS, I could not have been more impressed. (RIP)

The more I see anything about WP7, the more I want. webOS on phones is dead. And I'm sorely disappointed by that.
    You know, I've said some bad things in the past about Siri and voice-based services like that, but having used WP7's voice transcription with my headset to text someone today in the pouring rain, and I can say I take it all back, it is actually useful.
  14. cgk
    Global Posts
    9,556 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by FliedLice View Post
    I think you hit the nail on the head here. They were falling behind, and needed a huge boost. WP7 was that potential boost. I hope it lasts, because that Lumina is pretty.

Horace Dediu has a useful rule of thumb for the mobile business that might apply to Nokia - if you make a loss, even for one quarter, then you never get back to your former highs of either market share or profit.
  15. cgk
    Global Posts
    9,556 Global Posts
    You know, I've said some bad things in the past about Siri and voice-based services like that, but having used WP7's voice transcription with my headset to text someone today in the pouring rain, and I can say I take it all back, it is actually useful.
    There are some weird missing features in WP7.5 that hopefully they will iron out - for example, you can't cycle with the volume control from Volume>>Vibrate>>silent. You have to go into the settings and turn vibrate on and off and either have it as Volume>>Vibrate or Volume>>silent.

The other thing is there is no easy way to set email quiet hours, you can put it into battery saver mode but as soon as you plug it into the charger it comes out of that (and you are likely to charge it over night).

However as a 1.5 version of the software it's very nice, especially when I compare it to the 1.5 versions of Android.
    There are some weird missing features in WP7.5 that hopefully they will iron out
    I'm also disliking how the volume control is global. I mean, I'm fine with the volume for the ringer being the same as the volume for games/media (which is different from webOS obviously), but when I plug in headphones, it should remember to turn down to 10, and when I pull them out, it should remember to go back up to 30.
  17. cgk
    Global Posts
    9,556 Global Posts
    Jhoff80, how are you getting on now?

What I'm liking is how flexible the WP7 version of synergy is - I can understand why they went for the live-tile metaphor but really I think about it more like a 'lens' because you can create any combination of tiles that simply allow you to access data from groups you care about (Project group, Family etc).
    Last edited by CGK; 12/16/2011 at 06:00 AM.
    Jhoff80, how are you getting on now?

What I'm liking is how flexible the WP7 version of synergy is - I can understand why they went for the live-tile metaphor but really I think about it more like a 'lens' because you can create any combination of tiles that simply allow you to access data from groups you care about (Project group, Family etc).
    I'm still sticking with my Venue Pro for now, but I do get really frustrated with it at times. I've found compromises for the lack of messaging Synergy (mainly I just am forced to pin IM+ as a live tile), and a few other things, but the 'multitasking' still continues to drive me nuts.

That being said, there's just so many things where it (and every other OS, to be honest) is so far above and beyond webOS that it's ridiculous.
    I'm on Windows Phone too..biggest complaints are the volume and multitasking still finicky (but not terrible).

I LOVE my battery life and when an app is designed well, its hands down the best app across the platforms. The IMDB app is a good example of this.

I had an evo before and ICS has me curious but right now i love just having a phone i don't have to worry about. Also, most my usage is browsing, facebook, twitter which is built in wonderfully in the phone. I've also been able to find good replacements for my android apps as well.

oh and xbox companion app. Wonderful.
    Global Posts
    918 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Brain Mantis View Post
    I'm on Windows Phone too..

I LOVE my battery life...
    How much are you getting? I'm curious considering this earlier comment:

Took this out for it's first proper field test today, the battery completely discharged in 3 hours 30 minutes.

Looks like I've have to turn a lot of stuff off.
    I get 36-48 hours out of my iPhone 4s for (totally unscientific!) comparison; though I usually charge it each night, I can happily use it all of a second day if I forget.
    PalmPilot Professional...Palm Vx...Treo 600...Treo 680...HTC Touch HD...iPhone 4S...
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast