Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Like Tree10Likes
    I think WP7 is ugly. Who's idea was it to have the words falling off the screen like that. And why can't you set wall papers and make your tiles kind of transparent so you can see your wallpaper....

I do think it's very smooth though.
    Global Posts
    918 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Unclevanya View Post
    In desktop - yes MS is far far far superior to Unix, Linux, or anything else other than maybe Apple Mac. Users are not techies. They don't want to tinker - they want something that works out of the box.
    That's true now, or since XP (the 10th release of Windows). With earlier versions, users really did have to "tinker" big time to get peripherals installed or games to work much of the time. The old adage is that MS products aren't worth buying until version 3, and with a 1% (and falling) userbase for WP7, it seems the public still believe that.
    PalmPilot Professional...Palm Vx...Treo 600...Treo 680...HTC Touch HD...iPhone 4S...
    I think 2012 will be the Windows Phone year. Time will tell...

They have a serious problem in that they concede any high end of the market due to an inability to support multi-core processors.

even when they eventually implement the support, it'll take several revisions to actually get it working adequately
    USRobotics Palm Pilot -> Palm 3e -> Treo 180 ->Treo 600 -> Treo 650 -> Centro -> Palm Pre
    Quote Originally Posted by tirk View Post
    The old adage is that MS products aren't worth buying until version 3, and with a 1% (and falling) userbase for WP7, it seems the public still believe that.
    They're having the same issue as Palm/HP did... Saturated market with Android and Apple. Those two got the jump, webOS and WP7 got in the game late. Android and Apple control everything now. However, with Nokia, Microsoft may be able to begin to bite in to that control. They just need to start getting phones out to other carriers (come on VZW and Sprint!), or they will die as well.
    delacro likes this.
    Quote Originally Posted by errhead View Post
    I think 2012 will be the Windows Phone year. Time will tell...

They have a serious problem in that they concede any high end of the market due to an inability to support multi-core processors.

even when they eventually implement the support, it'll take several revisions to actually get it working adequately
    WP is smooth as heaven without being multicore. IPhone has been smooth without being multicore.
    Quote Originally Posted by deCorvett View Post
    WP is smooth as heaven without being multicore. IPhone has been smooth without being multicore.
    Every OS has been smooth without dual core.
    Global Posts
    49 Global Posts
    I switched to an eBay Samsung Focus after my Pre+ was damaged in a fall
    WM Mango lacks in some areas (esp being able to customize the screens and group apps) and no easy homebrew experience, but it's easy to get used to.
    Since there probably wont be WebOS phones any time soon (if ever), it's a decent option.
  8. cgk
    Global Posts
    9,556 Global Posts
    Just had the shipping email for my Lumia - looking forward to this.
    Quote Originally Posted by Landslug View Post
    I switched to an eBay Samsung Focus after my Pre+ was damaged in a fall
    WM Mango lacks in some areas (esp being able to customize the screens and group apps) and no easy homebrew experience, but it's easy to get used to.
    Since there probably wont be WebOS phones any time soon (if ever), it's a decent option.
    I second that. I have gifted focus to my brother and my dad and both like it a lot. My dad loves his as the virtual keyboard on windows phone 7 is awesome. it seems easy for him. I think words instead of icons also help a lot
    Thanks for sharing thoughts of an alternative. I was so close to getting a WP7 device until that new Bing maps update landed on my Palm Pre. And then realizing how Google maps is important to me, WP7 having only Bing Maps became the deal breaker for me.

However, still curious, is Bing Maps just as useless on WP7 as it is on the HP-written webOS Maps app?
    Global Posts
    918 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by FliedLice View Post
    They're having the same issue as Palm/HP did... Saturated market with Android and Apple. Those two got the jump, webOS and WP7 got in the game late. Android and Apple control everything now.
    Don't forget RIM - they have around 20% of the merket, though it does seem to be shrinking.
    However, with Nokia, Microsoft may be able to begin to bite in to that control. They just need to start getting phones out to other carriers (come on VZW and Sprint!), or they will die as well.
    A year ago I thought that might be true. Then again, I thought the HP deal for Palm was the salvation of WebOS.

Nokia have looked happless over the last year, with layoffs being their main news. The WP7 phones they finally produced don't look very exciting even for WP7 phones. Nokia have a fine past history, but so did HP. Past performance is not necessarily a guide to future performance, especially with a company trying to change direction!
    PalmPilot Professional...Palm Vx...Treo 600...Treo 680...HTC Touch HD...iPhone 4S...
  12. cgk
    Global Posts
    9,556 Global Posts
    Phone arrived this morning - really loving it so far - I think it's far less chaotic than Android and makes WebOS look a bit of a plain Jane. So far, I haven't found any apps that I need that are missing - and I was about to send up multi-factor authentication on my gmail and last-pass with no problems.
    Don't forget RIM - they have around 20% of the merket, though it does seem to be shrinking.
    Different situation. RIM has been in the game for a long time, they aren't new (ok, well WP7 and WM are different operating systems released years apart from each other, I'd consider them different). And RIM has had the opportunity to play catch-up -- and they will not be able to come back any time soon. They had the same business model, and didn't progress, while everyone just did what they did, but better. Unless they do something drastic, they're gone. IMO

Nokia have looked happless over the last year, with layoffs being their main news. The WP7 phones they finally produced don't look very exciting even for WP7 phones. Nokia have a fine past history, but so did HP. Past performance is not necessarily a guide to future performance, especially with a company trying to change direction!

Again, different situation. Nokia has been in the cell phone business for years. I'd say they were one of the reasons everyone has one now. HP had a history of computers. Nothing in the mobile phone area. I hope a partnership between Nokia and MS will flourish, but MS has never been a major player, they've always kind of been in the background. It's going to take a big push by one of the little guys to squeeze themselves in the middle of Apple and Android. Everyone craps their pants over any one of the one new iPhones released once a year, and Android releases 10 new devices a day.
    Global Posts
    111 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by FliedLice View Post
    They're having the same issue as Palm/HP did... Saturated market with Android and Apple. Those two got the jump, webOS and WP7 got in the game late.
    WebOS had it's big push before Android did. WebOS had a window of opportunity but failed anyway. WP7 is a very good OS and has high customer satisfaction numbers, better than Android. Even so, it will have a hard time getting market share without MS spending a lot of money.
  15. cgk
    Global Posts
    9,556 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by koolkid09 View Post
    I think WP7 is ugly. Who's idea was it to have the words falling off the screen like that. And why can't you set wall papers and make your tiles kind of transparent so you can see your wallpaper....

I do think it's very smooth though.

I thought that as well but using it it makes sense because those are actually visible guides to the users where they in an app - because every app is generally three or four screens 'wide'.
    I really want to love WP7, but I've been trying out a Dell Venue Pro and there's so many frustrating things.

It needs a universal search option badly as you say. If I press search, it should definitely have a contacts section listed, in addition to web/local etc. I know you can voice dial with a hold of Start, but I should have the option to type it and pull up a contact if I want to SMS or something.

I don't know why emails don't give the same 'toast' notifications that IM messages do. Also I still think it desperately needs AIM, Yahoo, and Gtalk integration into messaging. But overall there's simple things that are just an afterthought on WP7 that were better on webOS. Like in IM, I can't press enter to send the message? Or when I press the search button, it doesn't automatically put the cursor into the text box so that I can start typing with the keyboard or onscreen keyboard?

I also agree entirely that I want to see more tiles. Two more tiles below what we can already see would make a huge difference for me.

And I can see why there's so few WP7 devices that use a keyboard. The Venue Pro is the perfect form factor for me (power button sucks though), but having a hardware keyboard is mostly an afterthought in WP7. And who puts a dedicated smiley button on a keyboard instead of a dedicated @ symbol or something? And webOS lets me shift-backspace to delete by word, I really wish WP7 did that as well.

I'm not a fan of waiting 5-10 seconds to switch between apps with 'multitasking' but it's my understanding as more is updated for Mango that'll change.

That being said, there are some things it does do better than webOS. For example, it actually has an ecosystem, with Zune (application) on the desktop for syncing, and Zune (store) for music/videos/podcasts. And the option of Zune Pass is great too. I already subscribe to Spotify so I'm not sure I'll subscribe to Zune Pass until I"m sure if WP7 will be my primary device, but it's nice to have the option.

Also, threaded view in emails is huge.

I replaced the microSDHC with a 32GB card, which feels enormous compared to how tight things were on my 16GB Pre2 and Pre3.

There's other positives as well, so I do like WP7, it's just there's so many little frustrations I've found that it's hard to love it at the moment. And I miss the Touchstone a ton too. I am on AT&T now, so switching back and forth is as easy as moving the SIM card.

Edit: Also, just saying but the Venue Pro doesn't even have the slightest bit of 'Oreo'-like give, where my Pre3 still has a few millimeters of give with slight pressure.
    Last edited by jhoff80; 12/03/2011 at 12:48 PM.
  17. cgk
    Global Posts
    9,556 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jhoff80 View Post

That being said, there are some things it does do better than webOS. For example, it actually has an ecosystem, with Zune (application) on the desktop for syncing, and Zune (store) for music/videos/podcasts. And the option of Zune Pass is great too. I already subscribe to Spotify so I'm not sure I'll subscribe to Zune Pass until I"m sure if WP7 will be my primary device, but it's nice to have the option.
    The fact that after the initial set-up you don't have to plug it in to use zune or to sync is nice as well. I also like the fact that you can do remote lock, locate and wipe from the web - (could you do that on WebOS phones????). Now I'm getting used to it, the skydrive integration is great for both office and docs (25gb of space as well).

The more I play with the tiles, the more I like the flexibility they have, so with the ebay app, you can simply pin a specific item you are selling to the home screen rather than the whole app.*

In many ways, it's less flexible than android but already I'm loving it in a way I never have android (great apps, GUI disaster) or WebOS (nice but plain GUI, no apps).

* although it bugs me that some apps don't follow the theme colour scheme - I pin those at the bottom :-)
    Last edited by CGK; 12/03/2011 at 02:30 PM.
    I wish some one would do a review of Mango vs ice cream sandwich
    If this helped you hit thanks.
  19. cgk
    Global Posts
    9,556 Global Posts
    Took this out for it's first proper field test today, the battery completely discharged in 3 hours 30 minutes.

Looks like I've have to turn a lot of stuff off.
    It's probably to be expected, but Office is so much better done by Microsoft than done by Picsel or Quickoffice.

I am really disappointed that OneNote can't view my handwritten notes from my tablet PC though.
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast