Page 1 of 8 123456 ... LastLast
Like Tree29Likes
  1.    #1  
    ...live, as we speak!

androiddevelopers's Channel - YouTube

Looks like he's working his magic at Google -- he's actually giving Android genuine taste and design flourishes.
    dignitary and SnotBoogie like this.
  2.    #2  
    Nice, he brought the flick to close an app gesture to Android!

Wow, they brought Synergy to Android! ICS is looking like the lovechild of Android and webOS.
    Last edited by nappy; 10/18/2011 at 09:51 PM.
  3.    #3  
    And there's Touch to Share...
    something224 likes this.
    Just finished watching galaxy nexus and ids unveiling and wow Mathias made all my dreams come true. WebOS lives on in ICS. The cards need to be moved side ways to be deleted but they are there. Synergy is even better and there are no buttons at all just gestures. It now even has 100s of thousands of apps.
    astraith and Weaser999 like this.
    Yup. I'm glad to see Duarte FINALLY get enough time with Android to do exactly what I expected him to do: take what he learned designing webOS and make it even better.

Nobody can possibly fault him for Honeycomb; he'd barely been there long enough to decorate his desk before they launched it. But with ICS, his influence is undeniably beautiful.

What surprises me are how many webOS users don't realize the same guy who came up with the card metaphor and not just use of, but reliance on gesture/swipe interaction model in webOS is now the guy over there directing the show at Google on the Android team.
    slbailey1, astraith and Mutoidi like this.
  6.    #6  
    And finally, here's Matias explaining the philosophy of Android to Josh Toplosky: https://thisismynext.com/2011/10/18/...-galaxy-nexus/

As nice as ICS looked, I'm not sure if it's enough to lure me away from the iPhone but I think the touches Matias added, coupled with a lot of functionality that was, frankly, lifted directly from webOS makes Android 4.0 the logical choice for webOS users to upgrade to.
    since Ice Cream is suppose to be open source I hope we will see it as a duel boot options cus it looks nice.
    Global Posts
    960 Global Posts
    yeah i couldnt believe, webos reborn!!!!
    Want to help design and write an app?
    follow me at Twiiter @ijip
    THANKS~!!
    The CyanogenMod team is only doing CM7 so they pave the way for Android 4.0 (CM9). It's been their intention all along to move straight to ICS as soon as possible.
    yes it was interesting...

with the nfc they stole TTS... share webpages, maps, etc... interesting.

i still dont really like androids main ui... even if you have widgets... just too busy looking.

interesting font... reminded me of windows phone.
    the buttons on the bottom (back, home, cards)... looked like sony ps3 icons.

but it is getting refined with every version.

android with a window phone font ps3 icons with a splash of webos swipes and tts, lol.
    not on sprint... Ugh
    the hardware was ok... looks nice... nice screen of course but the specs didnt wow me. i liked the hardware, design, build of the motorola droid razr. if i were an android person, ics on the droid razr sounds nice.

Quote Originally Posted by bigwood212 View Post
    not on sprint... Ugh
  13.    #13  
    Yeah, I was talking to myself about it in the Off Topic wasteland. Google literally lifted features wholesale and implemented them in Android...but they actually made them better. The People apps in ICS is just the natural evolution of Synergy. Android Beam is Touch To Share with practical purposes and compelling reasons to use it.

I hate that Roboto font, though.
    That's what you get when you snag the guy who designed webOS.

All he's doing now with Android is advancing the same design and user experience philosophy he began at Palm, and he's extremely consistent.
    slbailey1 likes this.
  15.    #15  
    PS: Here's Matias talking to Josh about his vision and design philosophy for Android 4.0 - Exclusive: Matias Duarte on the philosophy of Android, and an in-depth look at Ice Cream Sandwich | This is my next...
    Exclusive: Matias Duarte on the philosophy of Android, and an in-depth look at Ice Cream Sandwich | This is my next...

Once again another great interview by Josh with Matis Duarte. A mix of windows, dash of iphone, spritz of WebOS and finally can see his android vision.

Selling my Palm things: just make an offer: http://forums.webosnation.com/market...nd-offers.html
    well, with many features and feels on ics, it looks like webos can rest in peace at this point... i mean i dont like androids main ui but other companies have cool front ends like sense ui that integrated with ics should be a very nice os option.

seeing this with ics at this level and you have windows phone making a bigger push with nokia soon... and of course you have ios5... i cant imagine anyone being able to get webos up to speed fast enough to compete as well as get app support.

seems its come down to a three horse race.

and rimm is going to die too imo.

Quote Originally Posted by vanadium View Post
    That's what you get when you snag the guy who designed webOS.

All he's doing now with Android is advancing the same design and user experience philosophy he began at Palm, and he's extremely consistent.
    Latching onto RIM at this point is just asking for heartbreak, especially on QNX (Playbook). Lack of apps, poor service infrastructure, broken promises and slow execution. Not to mention they're bleeding market share, haven't been able to get considerable sell-through with the Playbook, and have had to reduce the price lately to stimulate sales (although I hear they raised the price back up).

Sounds rather familiar.
  19.    #19  
    It's really been a 3 horse race for the past 2 years.

I still think there's a lot of work to be done on Android's UX but Matias' presentation showed me that he gets it the same way guys like Jony Ive and Scott Forstall get it -- if we're interacting with software for 8-12 hours a day, we need to be able to have an emotional response to it.
    65fastback likes this.
    Global Posts
    30 Global Posts
    same thoughts here. only been on web os for about a year and really have enjoyed webos. was with windows 6.5, android up to froyo. was actually in vzw store today trying to see if anything was worth using my upgrade on and kept trying to use gestures, was annoyed with buttons. Looks like ICS/nexus may be on my christmas list.
Page 1 of 8 123456 ... LastLast