Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 2345678 LastLast
Like Tree29Likes
    Global Posts
    977 Global Posts
    I have tried looking through this thread to learn on my own, but can't find a for sure answer. Will the Galaxy Nexus have any shot to eventually land on Sprint? What about other Android based phones with 4.0 ICS on Sprint?

Can someone who understands this explain what the possibilities are?

Thanks!
    Sprint since 01/06/99: Sanyo SCP-4500 -> Audiovox PPC-6700 -> Palm Treo 755p -> Palm Centro -> Palm Pre 1.4.5 -> Jailbroken iPhone 4s
    Quote Originally Posted by jdod View Post
    I have tried looking through this thread to learn on my own, but can't find a for sure answer. Will the Galaxy Nexus have any shot to eventually land on Sprint? What about other Android based phones with 4.0 ICS on Sprint?

Thanks!
    the simple answer is no, it probably won't. you guys got the nexus s 4g and the galaxy s 2 while verizon didn't.
    Quote Originally Posted by Suntan View Post
    1. No there isn't a list as the OS was just announced.

2. I would hazard to guess that all three of those phones would get ICS eventually.

-Suntan
    rumor has it most of the phones including the evo3d & gs2 will not get an official ice cream update. BUT if your rooted you will by the way of cm9 and custom roms.

phones such as the upcoming moto razr & htc vigor will get it.
    Quote Originally Posted by koolkid09 View Post
    Samsung doesn't handle the updates on the nexus, Google does. And the gps on my moms Nexus S is good. The build quality is plasticky (don't think that's a word). But she put a case on it and it feels solid.

And the Razr bootloader most likely will be encrypted and very hard or impossible to install custom roms like CM9.
    both samsung & google submit the updates to the carriers for testing and release.
    Quote Originally Posted by fixxxer1022 View Post
    both samsung & google submit the updates to the carriers for testing and release.
    Well the Nexus S has been getting it's updates in a timely manner. It's on 2.3.7 and 2.3.6 while other manufactures can barely get 2.3.4 on its phone.
    Quote Originally Posted by fixxxer1022 View Post
    the simple answer is no, it probably won't. you guys got the nexus s 4g and the galaxy s 2 while verizon didn't.

This might not mean anything but here.
    http://www.androidcentral.com/samsun...-7-us-carriers

I believe the Galaxy Nexus may be exclusive to Verizon for a while but will eventually come to Sprint, T-mobile, and AT&T.

Thanks!
    Yes, Samsung has a sign up page where you can register to get information about the Galaxy Nexus. You have to select a carrier and Sprint is one of the seven US carriers listed.
    This might not mean anything but here.
    http://www.androidcentral.com/samsun...-7-us-carriers

I believe the Galaxy Nexus may be exclusive to Verizon for a while but will eventually come to Sprint, T-mobile, and AT&T.
    newest rumor is the verizon version will be delayed because of LTE issues on the testing devices.

Is Verizon getting the Galaxy Nexus?
    Well the Nexus S has been getting it's updates in a timely manner. It's on 2.3.7 and 2.3.6 while other manufactures can barely get 2.3.4 on its phone.
    thats where cm7 comes into play but i get what your saying. im rocking aosp 2.3.7 on my dinc2.
    Quote Originally Posted by Suntan View Post
    1. No there isn't a list as the OS was just announced.

2. I would hazard to guess that all three of those phones would get ICS eventually.

-Suntan
    I'm guessing that only duel core phones will be getting the update.

10.1/32 gig of fun!
    Quote Originally Posted by crucian4 View Post
    I have been wrestling with the paralyzing thought that webOS may not get a third chance. As good as the new IOS5 and Iphone is I don't like Apple's restrictive nature. So, I have been following Android news and looking at a couple phones for Sprint, my carrier. The Photon and Epic 4G Touch are at the top of my list. I may wait a bit longer after reading this article on thisismynext.com.

Exclusive: Matias Duarte on the philosophy of Android, and an in-depth look at Ice Cream Sandwich | This is my next...

Reading the article made one of Matias Duarte's goals very clear. Bring Android to a level of cohesion and simplicity that inspires webOS user passion for Android owners. The new Ice Cream sounds like it will bring some webOS like operation to Android. My Pre 2 should hold me over until Ice Cream starts popping up on Sprint phones or a new device running it is released for Sprint.

It looks more promising for those not wanting to go the Apple route to replace devices that may see their books closed soon by their parent company. I would love to see webOS rise like a phoenix but if that does not happen what is your plan?
    I'm using my Pre- till it falls apart. I suppose at that time, I will reluctantly be assimilated by Android. My husband and daughter Android Borgs have been telling me "resistance is futile. You will be assimilated" for months now. I hope Google can get the cumbersome Android UI looking as webOS-like as possible without a lawsuit. The main issue I have with Android is UI.
    I watched the google guy with his ics demo, still looks like android to me. The only thing that makes me jelous is the multiple radios and the 4g. Face unlock and voice commands are pretty cool too. But I like my pre2
    i imagine if webos found another home... #1 is not gonna happen.

i think because rubi went with hp, that hp still allowed the hacking...

one, because he was kissing up to the hackers and creating some image for webos... i think rubi was trying to recreate an excitement to webos that hackers had brought to ios in the beginning and attract users,

and second, because hackers were doing palms/hps job by coming out with patches to fix stuff that palm/hp should have been fixing... he embraced them... he needed them.

i guess giving them breathing room to work on other stuff? anyways, imo, that was a big fail in that palm/hp should be the ones doing the patches as fast as the hackers.

if a company like htc did buy palm... they'd lock it up.
    if rimm or msft bought it... they'd lock it up.

Quote Originally Posted by geeksquadkid View Post
    I dont have a plan. Im sticking with webOS untill numerous things happen.

1) I need a OS that hacking is allowed like webOS. Android + iOS = voided waranties
    2) Brickable issues (webOS isnt brickable, other OS's are)
    3) How open they are
    4) Coding language.

Doesnt seem to difficult but I personally dont see Google Windows doing eaither of those. I will not, have not, and will never own an Apple device. I would use a pre 20 years from now than switch over to Apple.
    Last edited by donm527; 10/20/2011 at 08:08 AM.
    Why are people saying that this is going to start off as a Verizon exclusive?? Wouldn't it be an AT&T exclusive? I thought the version they showed was HSPA and that was the one they were releasing first? Isn't that only used by AT&T?
    At the presentation, samsung vp kevin packingham when mention the LTE/HSPA phone made reference "In the US, Samsung is the leader in LTE." so people are taking that to be verizon.

Samsung and Google's Ice Cream Sandwich event liveblog! -- Engadget

http://www.engadget.com/2011/10/18/s...s-verizon-aff/

Quote Originally Posted by Bob-C View Post
    Why are people saying that this is going to start off as a Verizon exclusive?? Wouldn't it be an AT&T exclusive? I thought the version they showed was HSPA and that was the one they were releasing first? Isn't that only used by AT&T?
    anyone know if the galaxy nexus is going to have that bluetooth MAP feature that will allow sharing sms with the touchpad?
    Quote Originally Posted by donm527 View Post
    At the presentation, samsung vp kevin packingham when mention the LTE/HSPA phone made reference "In the US, Samsung is the leader in LTE." so people are taking that to be verizon.

Samsung and Google's Ice Cream Sandwich event liveblog! -- Engadget

Samsung Galaxy Nexus leaks on official site, flashes Verizon affiliation -- Engadget
    Don't take it with face value. On the samsung update sight they have at least 7 US carriers you can receive updates for. I expect to see it like this.

Tmobile Variant (42 mbps HSPA+) really good
    Verizon Variant (LTE) really good
    ATT Variant (14 mpbs HSPA+/LTE)

Im hoping the GSM Varient has Bands and Support for Tmobiles Highest HSPA+ Varient and ATT LTE. would be much easier than making two phones. Granted ATT user's would be getting the short end of the stick.

Thanks!
    Although Sprint won't get Galaxy Nexus, bare in mind Epic Touch 2 and Photon 4G will probably get ICS. And both processors in those phones are better then what's in the Nexus. So maybe we won't miss this Nexus.
    I was hungry for ICS but I stopped by the Sprint store to take a look at the iPhone 4S just for the heck of it. Damn it is nice! Siri is very cool. I was expecting it to have no idea what I was saying but was surprised to see how well it worked. I asked it who the CEO of Verizon was and brought back his name along with everyone who a senior executive. I asked what Apple's stock was and it brought back all kind of stock info. It was also extremely refreshing to use a fully responsive device in contrast to my Pre- and Touchpad with their occasional lags. Not sure I can wait until ICS on Sprint... Must resist! MUST RESIST!! Especially tough with my Pre's battery life declining and not wanting to spend money on a replacement - assuming it isn't just the phone.
    Quote Originally Posted by puzzlegal View Post
    I never see you on the android forum. Do you use another name or another forum?
    I'm 'duvallg' there; been lurking, but I'll pop up sooner than later.
Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 2345678 LastLast