Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast
Like Tree29Likes
    Global Posts
    952 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by fixxxer1022 View Post
    to whomever may consider the new nexus be aware that samsung is very slow on updates and the gps is not very good. i know as ive owned 3 samsung android phones. the build quality is very cheap feeling too.

ill be buying the moto razr or the htc vigor which will both get ice cream in the near future.
    FWIW GPS on my Nexus S seems to cause me no more problems than I had on my Pre. The build also doesn't feel that bad.

I assume since the Nexus S is Google branded that the updates issue doesn't apply, since it is not a Samsung phone.
    slbailey1 likes this.
    to whomever may consider the new nexus be aware that samsung is very slow on updates and the gps is not very good. i know as ive owned 3 samsung android phones. the build quality is very cheap feeling too.

ill be buying the moto razr or the htc vigor which will both get ice cream in the near future.
    To whoever would say something like that, do a little research first.

Nexus phones get updates first and fast.
    GPS will now be augmented with the barometer which means it might be one of the most precise location finders out there, not to mention webOS phones are the worst for GPS.
    Quote Originally Posted by deesugar View Post
    To whoever would say something like that, do a little research first.

Nexus phones get updates first and fast.
    GPS will now be augmented with the barometer which means it might be one of the most precise location finders out there, not to mention webOS phones are the worst for GPS.
    i owned the nexus s 4g and it took forever to fix the signal issues it had. samsung phones are mostly plastic, htc by far makes the best build quality phones out there.
    Quote Originally Posted by DJeremyC View Post
    Nice features and all so definitely a step forward, but still no webOS. Here is why:

1) not intuitive - webOS my kids (5 and 3) can navigate and use.
    2) flat boring UI...though the elements of what is going on in the background is great, just no popping eye candy that I get with webOS with rich looking icons. I like the bubble color rich shadow/3D effect - ICS doesn't have that.
    3) CARDS?!? are you kidding me...card implementation in webOS is still ahead of its time. ICS cards to webOS is like iOS multitasking to webOS....you got to be kidding me.
    4) TTS and Touchstone - implemented easier and more elegant for the webOS devices that can use it. and touchstone is still KING above any other platform for charging. I got these things everywhere!

With that said...Android 5.0 will probably be the webOS we want here. Hopefully more elegant UI, card implementation refined, and then you get all the apps included. BUT I still would like a phone that isnt as big as a tablet and has a portrait keyboard. Pre3 was the ideal form-factor.

I will give Duarte the props though for getting in there and cleaning house. He has a bit more to do though.

I think you have to understand that Duarte hasn't been there that long and if you saw the live video of the presentation he said, "This is just a first step with many to go"

I predict that Android will be the future webOS that could never be. Duarte had plans to take webOS to other levels and now he will be able to use those ideas in Android. It won't all happen at once but rest assured it will happen.
    Quote Originally Posted by angiest View Post
    FWIW GPS on my Nexus S seems to cause me no more problems than I had on my Pre. The build also doesn't feel that bad.

I assume since the Nexus S is Google branded that the updates issue doesn't apply, since it is not a Samsung phone.
    doesn't mater as samsung are the ones to push updates out. im not kidding you guys here, don't believe me? ... do some google searching.

This is base Android. There's no skin or added gui causing delays in updates. The update issue isn't a big issue. However, Samsung's build quality is questionable. Though, they have gotten better.
    I think you have to understand that Duarte hasn't been there that long and if you saw the live video of the presentation he said, "This is just a first step with many to go"

I predict that Android will be the future webOS that could never be. Duarte had plans to take webOS to other levels and now he will be able to use those ideas in Android. It won't all happen at once but rest assured it will happen.
    android may incorporate some of the webos features but it will never be webos. as of now webos is a dead subject. my thoughts are no one will buy webos and continue developing it. they will buy it for the patents only.
    i owned the nexus s 4g and it took forever to fix the signal issues it had. samsung phones are mostly plastic, htc by far makes the best build quality phones out there.
    Some issues take longer then others especially when they are related to the carrier. But that has nothing to do with Android OS updates.
    Some issues take longer then others especially when they are related to the carrier. But that has nothing to do with Android OS updates.
    actually it does as the fix was to push out android 2.3.5. but i get what your saying. ive learned to NEVER buy a phone at launch. i wait a few months to see what issues arise.

ive just had bad experiences with samsung phones.
    android may incorporate some of the webos features but it will never be webos. as of now webos is a dead subject. my thoughts are no one will buy webos and continue developing it. they will buy it for the patents only.
    Incorporating all of the webOS features (which are now dated) would be going backwards. Android is moving forward with features like Android Beam, an improvement of TTS and Improved copy and paste with the ability to move selected text, Pinch-to-zoom functionality in the calendar an improvement of collapse... I could go on.
    smooth3006 and slbailey1 like this.
  11.    #111  
    Quote Originally Posted by barrysanders20 View Post
    That white suit is pimp.
    Every time I see Matias, I feel like he's about to slip something in my drink. Kind of like how Scott Forstall makes me think he's about to bludgeon me with a crowbar.

Geniuses are so weird.
    smooth3006 and rashad1 like this.
    Quote Originally Posted by DJeremyC View Post
    Pre3 was the ideal form-factor.
    Not in a TRILLION years was the Pre 3 the ideal form factor. I never wanted, never liked, and never will again buy a vertical slider phone.
    You come at the king. You best not miss.
    I have been wrestling with the paralyzing thought that webOS may not get a third chance. As good as the new IOS5 and Iphone is I don't like Apple's restrictive nature. So, I have been following Android news and looking at a couple phones for Sprint, my carrier. The Photon and Epic 4G Touch are at the top of my list. I may wait a bit longer after reading this article on thisismynext.com.

Exclusive: Matias Duarte on the philosophy of Android, and an in-depth look at Ice Cream Sandwich | This is my next...

Reading the article made one of Matias Duarte's goals very clear. Bring Android to a level of cohesion and simplicity that inspires webOS user passion for Android owners. The new Ice Cream sounds like it will bring some webOS like operation to Android. My Pre 2 should hold me over until Ice Cream starts popping up on Sprint phones or a new device running it is released for Sprint.

It looks more promising for those not wanting to go the Apple route to replace devices that may see their books closed soon by their parent company. I would love to see webOS rise like a phoenix but if that does not happen what is your plan?
    geeksquadkid likes this.
    There is no ideal form factor -- I'm sick of seeing that written!

Like the new features - still think the interface is mostly ugly. IMO of course. Function is more important than form, but man, shine that stuff up a little.
    Quote Originally Posted by Grabber5.0 View Post
    There is no ideal form factor -- I'm sick of seeing that written!
    Except for a flexible one that can change shapes
    Vij likes this.
    I dont have a plan. Im sticking with webOS untill numerous things happen.

1) I need a OS that hacking is allowed like webOS. Android + iOS = voided waranties
    2) Brickable issues (webOS isnt brickable, other OS's are)
    3) How open they are
    4) Coding language.

Doesnt seem to difficult but I personally dont see Google Windows doing eaither of those. I will not, have not, and will never own an Apple device. I would use a pre 20 years from now than switch over to Apple.
    Conne>< Coding

Remember!!
    *In Rod we trust.*

Yes, my user name says kid. Also, yes I'm 21. It's a long story.

Devices: Touchpad, 32 GB
    Retired my pre for an Epic 4G Touch, Miss it dearly howerver.

Samsung doesn't handle the updates on the nexus, Google does. And the gps on my moms Nexus S is good. The build quality is plasticky (don't think that's a word). But she put a case on it and it feels solid.

And the Razr bootloader most likely will be encrypted and very hard or impossible to install custom roms like CM9.
    Is there any list of what currently available Android phones will be getting an OS upgrade to ICS? I was under the impression that while point release updates are normal, major updates like going from Gingerbread to ICS rarely happen. For example, I wouldn't count on a Galaxy II or EVO, or maybe even Droid RAZR, getting a firmware update to ICS.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bob-C View Post
    Is there any list of what currently available Android phones will be getting an OS upgrade to ICS? I was under the impression that while point release updates are normal, major updates like going from Gingerbread to ICS rarely happen. For example, I wouldn't count on a Galaxy II or EVO, or maybe even Droid RAZR, getting a firmware update to ICS.
    1. No there isn't a list as the OS was just announced.

2. I would hazard to guess that all three of those phones would get ICS eventually.

-Suntan
    I would also like an open device that does not void my warranty if the software is placed in dev mode (jailbroken) but, I need a plan B and C. WebOS Internals provided plan B. I am working on plan C. Plan for the worst but, hope for the best
Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast