Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast
Like Tree29Likes
  1. cgk
    Global Posts
    9,556 Global Posts
    It's a good thing isn't it? Operating systems rip off the best bits from each other and we (the consumer) wins.
  2. cgk
    Global Posts
    9,556 Global Posts
    This sound familar?

Unified Calendar - There’s now an option to let other apps add events to the calendar and manage reminders, color-coded to support multiple calendars/agendas, and options for easing switching between them. One standout feature from the demo was pinch-to-zoom on the calendar, which allowed more information on an event or day to be shown.
    http://androinica.com/2011/10/androi...ign=androinica
    Last edited by CGK; 10/19/2011 at 04:09 AM.
    no complaints here. If hp and palm can't get it done, I'd rather someone else do it it Instead of having a good idea go to waste. I really dislike using my current android phone, but it appears they are taking steps in the ui department that will fix my attitude.
    I think it is finally time for me to switch to Android (in a little while). The one thing I will miss more than anything else is the Touchstone. We need to find a way of keeping that technology alive.
    I thought there was some sort of skin or interface you could install that virtually mimicked the whole webOS experience anyway? I seem to recall seeing something about cards in Android, might have been like a carousel type of configuration.
    Due to the cancellation of the penny, I no longer give 2 about anything. I may however, give a nickel
  6. cgk
    Global Posts
    9,556 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by sledge007 View Post
    I thought there was some sort of skin or interface you could install that virtually mimicked the whole webOS experience anyway? I seem to recall seeing something about cards in Android, might have been like a carousel type of configuration.
    There are but they are always a bit of a bodge - having this sort of functionality built-in is the way to go.

Lot of nice features in here and because I'm a heavy google guy I welcome some of the deeper integration that is going on.
    Problem is if you care about who invented what, then it kinda stings because they never give credit for getting ideas from other products and since most people never used a palm phone it will seem to most like google invented these things. Like apple gets credit for inventing things they didn't. Mouse, a touch screen phone with clickable icons, what a revolution.

But that's what companies do, including palm. All cars are the same after all, but still it made me feel special using my gestures and cards while others were busy with their buttons.
    three years is a long time... i'll be excited to see what phones will be available by then.

voice command is not new in other platforms but i wouldnt be surprised if it's more dominant in the future.

if it was like voice control in ios 4.x then i would agree... i thought it was interesting when it first came out... and the interest lasted a few days with the most you can really do is "call john at home" or "play music", etc.

it's only been a few days for me but you really have to play with it and find that it works VERY well integrated with many parts of the phone...

'remind me when i get to work to pull up the reports for the board meeting.'
    'send a message to jeff saying... '
    'hows the weather going to be today?' 'tomorrow?' etc
    'find an outback restaurant nearby'
    'respond to jeff (email) that the proposal sounds good, lets write it up'

just a few things i've done where it uses your contacts, can go to different apps to perform the function like message, email... utilize gps with calendar or maps or basically any question it will search... and for me the way it picks up normal speech and can make the same request using a varying number of words... really cool.

saves you a ton of typing and having to go to individual apps and tap tap tap to get to the point of entering in your data.

you're not going to these apps and then activating voice control... your just pressing the button and can have it utiilize the apps for you. if it progresses well, i can see it in other platforms like desktop computers... sitting at desktop and while doing one thing you may get a audio reminder of a calendar event and you are speaking back to acknowledge it or to change it or to also contact someone to remind them, etc. or running a program and you hit a corner of the screen to activate siri and say to email someone and speak out the email and send while you are still working on the other app.

we'll have to see what happens in a few years.

Quote Originally Posted by millertime View Post
    I predict in 3 years siri will be an afterthought. Ics still not near as elegant as webOS. But HP could sue google for some of the copying.
    greatest thing was the interview with matias saying that the best os and Ui didn't win (webos) so he decided to join the company with distribution and marketshare.
  9. cgk
    Global Posts
    9,556 Global Posts
    Full feature list for anyone who is interested:

Android 4.0 Platform Highlights | Android Developers

Twenty minutes into the video for a demo:

Last edited by CGK; 10/19/2011 at 07:58 AM.
    Maybe what Android needs now is a portrait slider that doesn't suck... Then I'll have a backup plan if all my webOS phones are unusable.
    While I was very impressed with ICS, it still has the cluttered feel of Android that has always turned me off. Obviously Duarte is smoothing out those edges and adding some elements from webOS. It has become much warmer with ICS. I'm currently using iOS for a phone and while it's a nice OS, it's also an old looking OS especially in comparison to what was debuted last night.
    Global Posts
    18 Global Posts
    From Wikipedia "HyperCard is an application program created by Bill Atkinson for Apple Computer, Inc."

CT
  13. cgk
    Global Posts
    9,556 Global Posts
    After watching the demo, really like a lot of new features - a lot of those changes make redundant a lot of apps that I'm currently using on my phone to tweak the android experience.
    Quote Originally Posted by donm527 View Post
    i still dont really like androids main ui... even if you have widgets... just too busy looking.
    Just a reminder that you don't *have* to have a screen full of widgets to make use of androids flexibility.

This is my "homescreen." Basically just a row of folders above the row of phone/web/email icons. The folders automatically link remind me to catagorize new apps when I download them so I rarely ever have to go into the App locker and search for apps. I only use one other homescreen (swipe to right) which has a full sized calendar.

Android is only as busy as you make it.

-Suntan
    Vij likes this.
    Quote Originally Posted by Smartfah View Post
    I missed the live stream. Anyone know if the Video is going to be re-posted, or if they posted it already?
    In case it hasn't been posted already...

http://www.androidcentral.com/relive...all-over-again

-Suntan
    i admit i'm definitely use to ios and i just havent played with android much and guess when it is... it's users at work that just always seem to have screens full of icons with no organization... that's a pretty clean look there and less intimidating

Quote Originally Posted by Suntan View Post
    Just a reminder that you don't *have* to have a screen full of widgets to make use of androids flexibility.

This is my "homescreen." Basically just a row of folders above the row of phone/web/email icons. The folders automatically link remind me to catagorize new apps when I download them so I rarely ever have to go into the App locker and search for apps. I only use one other homescreen (swipe to right) which has a full sized calendar.

Android is only as busy as you make it.

Click to view quoted image

Click to view quoted image

-Suntan
    Quote Originally Posted by Casion View Post
    I think it is finally time for me to switch to Android (in a little while). The one thing I will miss more than anything else is the Touchstone. We need to find a way of keeping that technology alive.
    Well, you can hack: http://www.androidcentral.com/tags/touchstone

Or you can get one of the Qi charging backs and inductive chargers.

I will say though, I miss the touchstone. The other options aren't as nice.

-Suntan
    Quote Originally Posted by donm527 View Post
    i admit i'm definitely use to ios and i just havent played with android much and guess when it is... it's users at work that just always seem to have screens full of icons with no organization... that's a pretty clean look there and less intimidating
    Here is what it looks like when you press the "multimedia" icon:

And when you press the games icon:

This is one of the features I wished webOS had. The app locker in webos was ok once you patched it with about 4 or 5 patchs to make it operate the way you wanted it. But even then, having to open up a big list of apps and scroll through pages was anti-thema to the simplicity of webos, imo.

-Suntan
    Quote Originally Posted by millertime View Post
    I predict in 3 years siri will be an afterthought. Ics still not near as elegant as webOS. But HP could sue google for some of the copying.
    greatest thing was the interview with matias saying that the best os and Ui didn't win (webos) so he decided to join the company with distribution and marketshare.
    LOL!

I recently switched to a Moto Photon, and I am really excited to hear that many of the features I miss from WebOS will be coming to Android. There's an excellent chance motorola will give us an update, since this is a very new phone. If not, I guess I now have a compelling reason to root my phone.
    Quote Originally Posted by jhoff80 View Post
    Of course, being acquired by the largest PC manufacturer in the world might also be why he saw the writing on the wall, something we'll never know without actually having been in the building to see what the situation was internally after that. Maybe there were signs within that he'd have to cave in some ways to make HP happy.

I mean, for example, with how much he complains about buttons instead of gestures in that interview, the idea of putting webOS on a device without a gesture area, could that really have gone over well? I mean, it's not based on anything other than wild conjecture but I still firmly believe that the Touchpad design was for an Android device that HP wanted to ship and the Palm guys were forced to retrofit webOS to it, which is why back buttons had to be added everywhere (and some were even missing at launch) and instead of building hardware to suit the OS, they had to customize the OS to fit existing hardware designs. Duarte doesn't seem like the kind of guy to stand for that... both from this interview, and from things I've heard about him being sort of difficult to work with because he's a bit controlling.
    That makes sense. I always wondered why they took out the gesture area, which was one of the nicest features of WebOS.
    Quote Originally Posted by vanadium View Post
    I've got a Photon 4G on Sprint and completely expect ICS to land in the next few months. I mean, hell, Google all but owns Motorola Mobility now, and Motorola's been on the ball with updates lately.

But yeah, my Touchpad can't wait, either.
    I never see you on the android forum. Do you use another name or another forum?
Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast