Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast
Like Tree29Likes
    yeah... Matias can be to android like a scott forstall is to iphone.

Quote Originally Posted by nappy View Post
    PS: Here's Matias talking to Josh about his vision and design philosophy for Android 4.0 - Exclusive: Matias Duarte on the philosophy of Android, and an in-depth look at Ice Cream Sandwich | This is my next...
    Change is hard and so is saying goodbye but just maybe after reading this interview you'll feel different.

If you've seen the live video presentation of the new Android 4.0, you might of got a tinge of familiarity when looking at some of the new swipe notifications and multitasking along with synergy like contact connections and touch-to-share (Android Beam). Remember that as it was mentioned at the live presentation, this is just a first step with many more to come.

This interview explains the thinking that went into ICS and how a former webOS empoyee has changed the course of Android in much needed new direction by asking some important questions:

Exclusive: Matias Duarte on the philosophy of Android, and an in-depth look at Ice Cream Sandwich | This is my next...
    chalx likes this.
    Quote Originally Posted by donm527 View Post
    well, with many features and feels on ics, it looks like webos can rest in peace at this point... i mean i dont like androids main ui but other companies have cool front ends like sense ui that integrated with ics should be a very nice os option.
    The People apps in ICS is just the natural evolution of Synergy.
    Disagree with both, for the same reason. Synergy is the biggest feature that no other platform does right for me.

I don't consider it to be a 'natural evolution of Synergy' when you've got Google+ as the main source for everything. (Let's face it, the general public is still using Facebook).

Same for Gmail and email being separate. On that note, you can't even view two Gmail inboxes in one view (though I did note that in the ThisIsMyNext interview, he mentions it's coming).

Or Messaging (SMS/MMS) is one app, and Google Talk is another (and you could say the same about Gtalk Voice Chat being separate from the phone), and then you need another app for any other chat sources you want to use.

To me, duplicating applications for different facets of the same function is just stupid, after using a webOS device for two years.

webOS isn't perfect, but there's nothing that does this as well as webOS does (for ALL your sources, IM, email, etc. not just a few select ones that they partner with). That's always been what jumped out to me the most from the original webOS unveiling, because they described it perfectly for me: My information IS already in a ton of different sources / silos, and even still, only webOS pulls it together as well as I would like.

Edit: I should clarify with all my sources. I know it doesn't do WLM or Facebook chat but I don't use either of those myself.
  4.    #24  
    I always did think that having separate Gmail and email clients was rather stupid.

People isn't just a Google+ client, though. It aggregates contact information from the same social networking sites and services Synergy pulls data in from (although the Facebook icon was conspicuously absent in the demo) and gives you a visual representation of your connections. I call it the natural evolution of Synergy because I think this more organic way of communicating that almost abstracts away the notion of contacts and moves people to the center of everything you do on the phone.
    <threads merged>
    People isn't just a Google+ client, though. It aggregates contact information from the same social networking sites and services Synergy pulls data in from (although the Facebook icon was conspicuously absent in the demo) and gives you a visual representation of your connections. I call it the natural evolution of Synergy because I think this more organic way of communicating that almost abstracts away the notion of contacts and moves people to the center of everything you do on the phone.
    See, that's what I thought at first. However, when I was reading about it, it made it sound like things would tie in on the Google+ side... adding more information like social network updates for people connected to your Google+, which since I don't know anyone who uses it, would be nobody. Rereading it, it sounds like it could be either interpretation. Unfortunately, the SDK/emulator only lets you add an Exchange account or a POP3 email account, so I obviously don't know for sure.

Either way, that's the contact information, which still means that it doesn't work for me as well as webOS.

Also, was just looking at the Engadget video, and I'm hoping it was a mistake or just for the demo that it showed Andy Rubin 4 times. If it doesn't combine things, that's a waste too.
    Last edited by jhoff80; 10/18/2011 at 11:27 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by bigwood212 View Post
    not on sprint... Ugh
    It will be. The Photon 4G, Galaxy Nexus S, Epic Touch 2, all will get ICS.

And in general, I like ICS. It's awesome. Duarte really knows how to make a good phone and design a UI that works and is constant. Windows Phone 7.5 now has competition in the elegance department. Honestly my next phone might be Android now.
    I missed the live stream. Anyone know if the Video is going to be re-posted, or if they posted it already?
    I've got a Sprint Photon 4G and 32GB Touchpad just waiting for ICS. Since the Photon 4G is the latest by Motorola on Sprint and in the same vein as the Bionic and Atrix 2 (and heck, Google all but owns Motorola Mobility now), it'll most definitely see the upgrade.

As sad as it is to say as someone that's had webOS devices since the day the Sprint Pre launched and developed for the platform since July, 2009, the harsh reality is this: The only way webOS could keep up--not surpass--other mobile platforms at this point is to add features for hardware and infrastructure it doesn't even have.
    Last edited by vanadium; 10/18/2011 at 11:37 PM.
    we'll see what matias does in future versions.

all the platforms are just amazing every year... nfc on the android, siri on ios5... and who know what else under development... just can't see webos being able to catch up... whatever innovative features they had are slowly being stripped away by others.

Quote Originally Posted by jhoff80 View Post
    See, that's what I thought at first. However, when I was reading about it, it made it sound like things would tie in on the Google+ side... adding more information like social network updates for people connected to your Google+, which since I don't know anyone who uses it, would be nobody. Rereading it, it sounds like it could be either interpretation. Unfortunately, the SDK/emulator only lets you add an Exchange account or a POP3 email account, so I obviously don't know for sure.

Either way, that's the contact information, which still means that it doesn't work for me as well as webOS.
    But its google, we are being mined for our marketing constantly.
    I can't even look.
    I'm happy webOS lives on in some way but I will have to go to Apple if webOS dies.

There is no such thing as a free lunch.
    Quote Originally Posted by donm527 View Post
    just can't see webos being able to catch up... whatever innovative features they had are slowly being stripped away by others.
    I agree with that, and I'm completely fine with it. As big a fan of webOS as I am, it's clearly dead. I'd love to see all the features I love about it 'stolen' by other companies, because it means a better experience for me when I have to switch.

It's just that right now, none of them work as well for me as webOS, mainly because every OS is tied to its manufacturers services almost solely.
    Quote Originally Posted by bluenote View Post
    But its google, we are being mined for our marketing constantly.
    I can't even look.
    I'm happy webOS lives on in some way but I will have to go to Apple if webOS dies.

There is no such thing as a free lunch.
    You're being mined for marketing purposes the moment you start browsing the Internet, and even after you stop. Even using free webOS apps, the advertising supporting those devs with revenue came from Admob, which is owned by Google.

And when you go to iOS and use apps on their ecosystem, you'll be mined again by any one of dozens of advertising companies. And maybe even by Apple itself through its iAds.

No sense in being overly paranoid, because the ads on PreCentral have been sending data back to their ad providers about you all along.

Welcome to the Internet; you'd be surprised what it already knows about you.
    jbouf1 likes this.
    Quote Originally Posted by vanadium View Post
    You're being mined for marketing purposes the moment you start browsing the Internet, and even after you stop. Even using free webOS apps, the advertising supporting those devs with revenue came from Admob, which is owned by Google.

And when you go to iOS and use apps on their ecosystem, you'll be mined again by any one of dozens of advertising companies. And maybe even by Apple itself through its iAds.

No sense in being overly paranoid, because the ads on PreCentral have been sending data back to their ad providers about you all along.
    Ad blockers and judicious use of ad supported apps minimize this issue, not entirely, but there is a difference between opening a small pocket in a wallet and letting people look at a few ID cards versus dumping a wallet all over the ground in the middle of a parade and passing out magnifying glasses and cameras .
    (FYI, Android and iOS both have adblockers.)
    Quote Originally Posted by vanadium View Post
    (FYI, Android and iOS both have adblockers.)
    Google apps mine your content, Apple is preferable.
    Global Posts
    106 Global Posts
    Feeling a little bit of bittersweet for ICS. I bought an android phone after my webOS phone gave out for a 3rd time and though the breadth of apps was better, I just couldn't like the way task switching was handled no matter how much I tried. Now with an improved task switch and contact management, I'm glad to see I'll have access to webOS like features but sad that webOS wasn't as successful as android may be with them.

Visually I still much prefer webOS.
    I predict in 3 years siri will be an afterthought. Ics still not near as elegant as webOS. But HP could sue google for some of the copying.
    greatest thing was the interview with matias saying that the best os and Ui didn't win (webos) so he decided to join the company with distribution and marketshare.
    ICS is shaping up to be the first in a long line of updates to Android that simply build on the design philosophy Mathias Duarte began with webOS 1.x before he left for Google when HP bought Palm.

It's effectively the next gen webOS from a user interface/user experience standpoint, and from the same guy, no less. I anticipate it'll only get better now that they've unified their smartphone and tablet OS versions into a unified front with Android 4.0, and as you saw with webOS 2.x and 3.x when webOS users were promised unification, that's a hell of a difficult accomplishment.
    IcerC likes this.
    ICS looks freaking fantastic. Can't wait to see it on the Touchpad. I am getting that damn Galaxy Nexus. Sprint, I'm looking at you.
Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast