Like Tree5Likes
  • 5 Post By Suntan
  1.    #1  
    RIM today unveiled BBX: the offspring of their QNX OS for the Playbook and BBOS7 for their phones. If the BBX UI will be anything like the QNX UI, then we can expect cards and gestures. Also, RIM CEO Mike Lazardis mentioned that developers will be able to develop apps for both tablets and phones running BBX using WebWorks to build cross-platform apps using HTML5, CSS, and Javascript.

All of this makes me want BBX phones as my next phone. They don't have a specific release date or timeframe yet, but my Sprint Pre2 is on contract for one more year so I'm in no rush. If HP does the smart thing and allows Enyo to go cross-platform, then I can definitely see myself developing apps for BBX. If you can't have webOS, might as well have the webOS knock-off, right?

RIM unveils its new OS, brings Android apps to PlayBook
    I'm going to keep a close eye on RIM to see how this all pans out for them. I will be looking at there BBX phone when it does come out. I won't need anything for at least a year since I have a pre3 right now.
    If by, the next webOS, you mean a snazzy OS with a couple of neat features but ultimately no market acceptance and little app development, I think that is right on the money.

-Suntan
    RIM needs to do something because bb7 wasnt that big of a hit not to mention the ridiculous prices they charged for the devices.
    RIM is on suicide watch.
    Quote Originally Posted by barrysanders20 View Post
    RIM is on suicide watch.
    i predict rim will be bankrupt in the next year. im glad i got my wife to dump her blackberry and go android.
    Global Posts
    2,060 Global Posts
    How does RIM --- with zero debt --- go bankrupt?
    When they reach zero customers.
    Quote Originally Posted by fixxxer1022 View Post
    i predict rim will be bankrupt in the next year. im glad i got my wife to dump her blackberry and go android.
    I actually like the new Bold that came out on Verizon. If iPhone didn't exist, this is the first Blackberry I would consider spending my own money on. It's thin, well built, feels better than Galaxy S2, has a wide keyboard, and fluid touchscreen. I can't speak on the OS as my experience is just setting them up, have not spent enough time with the OS.

Unfortunately this device should of been out two years ago.
    Quote Originally Posted by fixxxer1022 View Post
    Bankrupt? Everything i've read and heard says that RIM is not going anywhere. That they are still very profitable, still make tons of phone and still sell tons of phones especially overseas for profits. The problem i've read is in a key market the, U.S. they are drastically losing share. But from everything i've read it's not likely to go away anytime soon simply because people still buy phones.
    You come at the king. You best not miss.
  11.    #11  
    Yeah, unfortunately people around here are a little too trigger happy, probably from having to live with HP.

Personally, I don't like the idea of going with a phone from any of the tech giants (Google, Apple, or M$). RIM bringing QNX to their phones with a web platform for app development makes it attractive to me as a webOS developer and user.
    and don't forget to add...

"and pretty much dies shortly after launch because of lame ceo(s)."

yeah, sounds like the new webos

Quote Originally Posted by Suntan View Post
    If by, the next webOS, you mean a snazzy OS with a couple of neat features but ultimately no market acceptance and little app development, I think that is right on the money.

-Suntan
    Quote Originally Posted by rsanchez1 View Post
    Yeah, unfortunately people around here are a little too trigger happy, probably from having to live with HP.

Personally, I don't like the idea of going with a phone from any of the tech giants (Google, Apple, or M$). RIM bringing QNX to their phones with a web platform for app development makes it attractive to me as a webOS developer and user.
    i'll be honest i find next to nothing appealing about RIM phones. I've just read that though they aren't going in the right direction they sell way too many phones to be bankrupt within a year.
    You come at the king. You best not miss.