Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree9Likes
  1.    #1  
    I love my Pre, but I have been reading up on a future platform to try out. I am leaning towards Windows Phone 7 due to its similiar nature of cards ( ) but feel its in the same boat as webOS in some ways as far as apps and marketing or lack thereof.

Any hands on opinions of iPhone 4S vs Windows Phone 7 Mango devices? I have Sprint, so I am awaiting on new hardware for wp7 on Sprint also because I make the new OS jump.

But the iPhone 4S and the amazing camera ( Camera showdown: iPhone 4S Sample Images - Engadget Galleries ) are almost making me sold on getting the iPhone 4S and just using my TouchPad to fill my webOS phone void. But Apple and their iTunes setup and only apple ways makes it sometimes hard to want to go that route. But as far as Apps, Camera, Support they're a sure winner.

I just don't know if Windows Phone 7 has the future I hope it will if I switch to it...I feel like no matter the choice I'll feel like the PreCentral Video contest submission I seen titled life after webOS.

Thanks for opinions.
    Global Posts
    373 Global Posts
    Iphone4s is amazing.......no lag, every app you want, and the whole world is set up for it.

I have Pre3 and iphone4s, nothing compares to the iphone.
    Quote Originally Posted by RyanCell View Post
    I love my Pre, but I have been reading up on a future platform to try out. I am leaning towards Windows Phone 7 due to its similiar nature of cards ( ) but feel its in the same boat as webOS in some ways as far as apps and marketing or lack thereof.

Any hands on opinions of iPhone 4S vs Windows Phone 7 Mango devices? I have Sprint, so I am awaiting on new hardware for wp7 on Sprint also because I make the new OS jump.

But the iPhone 4S and the amazing camera ( Camera showdown: iPhone 4S Sample Images - Engadget Galleries ) are almost making me sold on getting the iPhone 4S and just using my TouchPad to fill my webOS phone void. But Apple and their iTunes setup and only apple ways makes it sometimes hard to want to go that route. But as far as Apps, Camera, Support they're a sure winner.

I just don't know if Windows Phone 7 has the future I hope it will if I switch to it...I feel like no matter the choice I'll feel like the PreCentral Video contest submission I seen titled life after webOS.

Thanks for opinions.
    I have switched to the 4s and I'm enjoying it. You don't have to use iTunes anymore unless you want to put music on there. Actually I downloaded iTunes on my computer for the first time in years so I could use a custom ringtone.
    Quote Originally Posted by Superjudge View Post
    I have switched to the 4s and I'm enjoying it. You don't have to use iTunes anymore unless you want to put music on there. Actually I downloaded iTunes on my computer for the first time in years so I could use a custom ringtone.
    And the wifi sync now lets you add music, without tethering.
    Sent from my favorite gadget!
    OP you will have to look at what you really need.
    • Support - What kind of OS support will you get/what is the history on the platform
    • Updates - What type of updates will you get/what is the history of updates
    • Form factor - What type of form factor can you live with:

1. What size screen do you want
    2. Do you require a keyboard
    3. Do you want a vertical or slider keyboard
    • What method will you use to get content on the device
    • What size storage do you require
    • What additional services are available on the platform
    • What is the app selection available
    • How does the OS perform compared to the competition
    • What are the hardware features you require
    • How do the hardware features stack up to the competition

If you are just looking to get as close to webos as possible, iPhone is not for you.

If you want a consistent experience with a foreseeable future, look to iOS/iPhone.

If you do not mind waiting for an OS to develop and get up to speed and taking a risk like webos, then Windows Phone 7 might be for you.

If you want to root and patch and mess around with the OS, then iOS is not for you unless you jailbreak.

If you own and are into an xBox, the Win 7 phone might be a better experience.

Linking your mobile device to other things makes it infinitely more useful. I can control my TV with my iPad or iPhone. I can control aspects of my HTPC with my iPhone or iPad. I have a mini keyboard hooked to my iPad.

These are some of things you may want to consider, if they are of any interest to you.
    If you're going with Windows Phone, I'd wait a little while. While yes, most (all?) of the phones have Mango now, every single WP7 model is now a year old. I'd wait for something newer. I don't expect too huge a spec increase, but I bet newer phones at least have a front-facing camera and other new things.
    Global Posts
    918 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bignoze View Post
    Iphone4s is amazing.......no lag, every app you want, and the whole world is set up for it.
    Seconded. I've just got an iPhone 4S too, and it really is a pretty amazing device. You don't even have to suffer iTunes any more if you don't want to, thanks to iCloud (which I confess I don't use).
    PalmPilot Professional...Palm Vx...Treo 600...Treo 680...HTC Touch HD...iPhone 4S...
    Also might consider how rough you are on devices. iPhones don't like to be dropped:

Obligatory Drop Test: iPhone 4S vs. Samsung Galaxy S II
    Touchscreens are a fad.
    it's a shame to do because it is a very nice design... but i get a case for it and that should give you more protection than a naked samsung

I had a speck candyshell for my 3gs and it was tough... put the phone in my pocket and I would go trail riding and dont remember how many falls and never have to worry about the phone. when i got the 4S, i went with a another speck.

Quote Originally Posted by Syndil View Post
    Also might consider how rough you are on devices. iPhones don't like to be dropped:

Obligatory Drop Test: iPhone 4S vs. Samsung Galaxy S II
    im a day one pre- owner on sprint and i was torn between the getting GS2 and the 4S... so i did what any webOS diehard would do.... i ordered a pre2 off of ebay for $123 with free s&h so i can go the frankenpre2 route... it should be here in a few days...i figure this should be able to hold me down until a REAL upgrade to the iPhone is released, a new phone running ICS comes to sprint, or a new WP7 device is released on sprint.
    Global Posts
    55 Global Posts
    Moved from Sprint pre to Sprint iPhone 4S 32GB and loving it. Yes, there are some things that I miss about webOS but the phone is solid, it does what I need, the radio provides a better connection than my pre and it just works. When I need a webOS fix I'll just borrow my daughter's phone... I gave her my pre.
    sinsin07 likes this.
    Right now go with Apple. The iPhone 4S is more of a modern phone where as the only Windows choice is the Arrive. The Arrive is a great device but I currently have it and switching it for an Epic because I am tired of lack of app support and I want more choices.

But next year will bring Nokia phones and hopefully Samsung phones to Sprint for WP7. I would choose a Nokia over Apple any day. And if Samsung does end up making a Galaxy S 2 phone for Windows with similar design and specs I would want that one.

Hope that helps.
    Quote Originally Posted by donm527 View Post
    it's a shame to do because it is a very nice design... but i get a case for it and that should give you more protection than a naked samsung
    If a phone requires a case in order to keep it from breaking (or in order to allow it to take calls--antennagate) then the device is not complete without a case.

And if you add a case to an iPhone, it's no longer the sleek, sexy device it was intended to be.

I carry my Pixi completely naked, BTW. I love how the battery cover of the Pixi acts as the case for the phone, so there is no need to put another case on top of it. And it doesn't shatter when I drop it. Hell, I am confident I could throw it down my driveway and it wouldn't shatter. THAT is how a phone should be designed.
    Touchscreens are a fad.
    well, i didnt say the iphone needs a case. and i think it safe to say that the iphone doesnt need a case any more than other phones.

but if youre gonna be anal about scratches or concerned about drops or find you are clumsier than the person next to you or you have a very active lifestyle and carry your phone... then i'll suggest a case.

gimme a break, throw any device and it has a chance of breaking. throw a slab and maybe it has a better chance of cracking than your pixi. throw an iphone 4 and maybe the back has even a higher chance. purposely throw/drop your device and you deserve anything you get.

just only from my experience... dealing with user work phones in my work, i have not seen a higher number of cracks or shatters compared to other slabs. if anything i have seen more cracked androids than i have iphones... but i suspect more due to the people and they would probably have cracked any device they owned. but mostly... i have seen/heard of many drops and nothing happened... all types of phones.

If a phone requires a case in order to keep it from breaking (or in order to allow it to take calls--antennagate) then the device is not complete without a case.

And if you add a case to an iPhone, it's no longer the sleek, sexy device it was intended to be.

I carry my Pixi completely naked, BTW. I love how the battery cover of the Pixi acts as the case for the phone, so there is no need to put another case on top of it. And it doesn't shatter when I drop it. Hell, I am confident I could throw it down my driveway and it wouldn't shatter. THAT is how a phone should be designed.

I know quite a few people that have dropped their iPhone 4s without cases and have lived to tell the tale. It's with any device (sure, some are slightly more durable than others, but there are often tradeoffs with that), it depends on many variables: how it was dropped; the material it was dropped on; the height; etc.

Drop a Pixi on its face on concrete from a respectable height and you're likely to end up with a cracked screen.

And using the Pixi as an example of how a phone should be designed has me concerned.
    Anal? Me? Nahhhh! Lol

But yeah, I realize the Pixi isn't what the cool kids are going for these days, but it was solely the hardware design of the Pixi that brought me to webOS. I may be backwards in my priorities compared to most, but for me the carrier is by far the most important, the hardware is a close second, and the OS is just an afterthought. After all, there is no smartphone OS out there that lacks any functionality that counts.

IMO the Pixi is as close to perfect in regards to hardware design as I am likely to ever see. Small, slim, great keyboard, decent screen, built-in inductive charging, and a rubberized battery cover that encompasses as much of the device as possible. It will become my reference point for which all future phones will be compared.

The iPhone, on the other hand--like all Apple products--puts form so far ahead of function that it may as well be an afterthought. What good is a sleek, sexy phone with glass on the front and back, when most people are too afraid of damaging their sleek, sexy and expensive iPhone that they feel they must bundle it in plastic or silicone? Maybe a few people you know got lucky, but if you drop a device with exposed glass corners on both sides, you should expect it to shatter. And while I am very good with my phones and have only dropped my Pixi once, I didn't have to worry about swaddling it in plastic and adding to its bulk in order for it to survive the fall. Nicked a chip out of the rubber on one of the corners of the battery cover, but nothing too bad. Anyway I just replaced the cover with a different color one and it was as good as new after.

But I'm serious. I will take my naked Pixi, toss it as high in the air as I am capable of tossing it, and have it land on my asphalt driveway, and I am sure it will survive. Meanwhile, the survivability of the iPhone is iffy at a drop from waist-high. Sure, it's sexy with that glass on both sides, but I've only ever seen that glass in pictures and videos. In the real world, iPhones are ugly, garish silicone or plastic monoliths.

Don't get me wrong, I am very jealous of Siri, and now that iOS no longer requires the voluntary installation of the virus that is called iTunes, I don't even hate iOS any more. But a glass phone? It sounds stupid when you say it out loud for a reason.

-- Sent from my Palm Pixi using Forums
    Touchscreens are a fad.
    But I'm serious. I will take my naked Pixi, toss it as high in the air as I am capable of tossing it, and have it land on my asphalt driveway, and I am sure it will survive.
    I challenge you to film yourself doing this and put it on YouTube, then. A friend's Pixi took a dive from 4 feet onto asphalt and cracked something fierce last year; I'd be more than interested in seeing someone try throwing it into the air with all their might and let it eat asphalt with so much confidence that it'd survive.

At the same time, I've seen iPhone 4's survive that same 4-foot fall. It's a matter of how it falls; the angle, the force, etc...that's what contributes to whether or not it cracks.
    Honestly your best option is to really decide what you want out of your phone. Many people dont actually know enough about an is when purchasing it, and thus end up unhappy. I have an arrive, a touchpad with webos and android on it, and have had ios devices since ios 1. So with that said, here is what you need to decide between...

- do you need a keyboard? Arrive has an amazing keyboard. Best I've ever used on a phone honestly! And also, the virtual keyboard is also the best I've ever used on a phone as well. if so arrive wins here, in both cases honestly

- what apps are you looking for? I have seen complaints of not enough apps on windows phone, but the app situation is not anywhere near what it is or was for webos. Most apps you would want are available. Netflix, shop sites like eBay and amazon, pageonce and plenty more. Games are weak though, and there are still some missing apps, but remember, ms office comes pre loaded on windows phone and you have 25 gigs of storage for that online for free. With that said though, if you want tons of apps, yes iPhone does win

-how important is the camera? The one on the arrive is alright I'd give it a 5 out of 10. Not impressed iPhone wins here

-Simplicity. While one may say ios is simplest, its really just about the apps you have. I would honestly say windows phone is simplest due to its rich integration. You can simply post pictures to Facebook right after snapping them, your albums are linked with your Facebook, windows live and SkyDrive for easy tagging and commenting (like webos) photo albums are synced from your pictures folder on your computer EXACTLY as they should be, subfolders and all (iPhone syncs first folders and everything else inside is just grouped no subfolders.) contacts app is synced with Facebook, twitter and linked in as well as live so it's much easier to see what's going on with friends as well as contact them by any means you have, messaging is like webos, linked messaging with Facebook and windows live, tile notifications are awesome as well as tiles helping keep important apps close and combining them with widgets in a sense. The interface is clean and different, and the integration is awesome. Biggest plus think synergy but much better. windows phone definitely wins on innovation and simplicity here.

- if you are an avid Facebook user, text or email alot, like messaging on Facebook or windows live, arrive wins big here.

- if you want a phone that will bridge a gap between PC and phone, windows phone will eventually be that phone.

- if you want a glamourous sexy device, iphone wins here.

- slim profile with no moving parts. IPhone wins here.

- an os with a guaranteed future, well honestly I see both being guaranteed so tie.

- business oriented would depend. IPhone maybe because there might be more apps.

In a nutshell...
    -windows phone os is an extremely integrated phone which allows 25 gigs of storage for pictures and files. It takes synergy from webos and expands on it in a way webos probably dreamt it could. It has built in office and Xbox live, built in Facebook, twitter, linked in, live and in the future Skype. Without apps, the phone is extremely useful. The keyboard on the arrive is amazing. And homebrew is not the same as ios, windows has made it clear it supports it and is willing to figure out the best way to make it secure.

IPhone is a sleek sexy device with an amazing camera and so many apps you will likely never see them all. Its os is simple in the manner that it's nothing but apps. There's no app trays or homescreens. Its just unlock and there's your apps! It does integrate some things with twitter and also allows for no syncing which windows phone still requires for updates. It also has awesome battery life.

although I admit I think windows phone is better in my experience as far as os goes, the iphone is a good choice too. I was tempted by the camera as well. It just depends on what you want. Windows phone is close to webos. Its more innovative now but does need some more time to grow.

If If you add in android ics that in itself is interesting, though since I have not tested that version, I cant say anything about it. Make sure you do alot of thinking before switching. Its a two year contract and while both are awesome, you need what is right for you and that you will enjoy and will ultimately make your life easier.
    Quote Originally Posted by vanadium View Post
    I challenge you to film yourself doing this and put it on YouTube, then. A friend's Pixi took a dive from 4 feet onto asphalt and cracked something fierce last year; I'd be more than interested in seeing someone try throwing it into the air with all their might and let it eat asphalt with so much confidence that it'd survive.

At the same time, I've seen iPhone 4's survive that same 4-foot fall. It's a matter of how it falls; the angle, the force, etc...that's what contributes to whether or not it cracks.
    Challenge accepted. I will film this when I can, probably tomorrow. Just had dental surgery today. And while I do expect my Pixi to survive, I don't see an iPhone surviving such tomfoolery regardless of how it lands. It's glass. Rubber > glass.
    Touchscreens are a fad.
    Second day I had my iPhone 4 - before I had a case - I set it on the kitchen counter (what's that, 36" ?) and instead of setting it down flat, i set it down on a towel that was bunched up, and it slid right off to my slate kitchen floor, landing face down.

I fully expected it to be shattered but not a mark. I know that I was very lucky!

I also had a similar drop in the parking lot, on concrete, from waist high, but I had the bumper then. It also dropped flat; no damage.

it really does depend on the luck of the fall...a sharp point here or there, and it is completely different.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast