Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 21 to 40 of 48
Like Tree9Likes
  1. #21  
    honestly i dont expect the chances of any phone... especially a slab to fare well by tossing as high possible (over 20-30') and landing on concrete. even you have read posts on the pixi section where a guy cracked his pixi when it fell off the bed. anyways, if you wanna do the vid... good luck... hate to hear of any phone possibly wasted for nuthin... just one less webos device in the world if it dies.

    Quote Originally Posted by Syndil View Post
    Challenge accepted. I will film this when I can, probably tomorrow. Just had dental surgery today. And while I do expect my Pixi to survive, I don't see an iPhone surviving such tomfoolery regardless of how it lands. It's glass. Rubber > glass.
  2. tirk's Avatar
    Posts
    810 Posts
    Global Posts
    918 Global Posts
    #22  
    Whatever the phone, it's not really "yours" until you drop it! Took about 8 hours with my 4S (we both survived - lesson learnt that the back is *really* slippy, so don't put it down on *any* kind of slope!)

    I've never actually broken a phone (though I did once unintentially thow one at a wasp. I hate wasps.)
    PalmPilot Professional...Palm Vx...Treo 600...Treo 680...HTC Touch HD...iPhone 4S...
  3. #23  
    Working out camera placement now. I'm not a vlogger so this is new territory for me. Think this deserves a new thread, too.
    Touchscreens are a fad.
  4. #24  
    Quote Originally Posted by Syndil View Post
    If a phone requires a case in order to keep it from breaking (or in order to allow it to take calls--antennagate) then the device is not complete without a case.

    And if you add a case to an iPhone, it's no longer the sleek, sexy device it was intended to be.

    I carry my Pixi completely naked, BTW. I love how the battery cover of the Pixi acts as the case for the phone, so there is no need to put another case on top of it. And it doesn't shatter when I drop it. Hell, I am confident I could throw it down my driveway and it wouldn't shatter. THAT is how a phone should be designed.
    Most cheap plastic phones are more durable than an iPhone. A Pixi naked? Why not, no sense covering a low end plastic phone. Putting a cover on a Pixi would be like using saran wrap on a zip-lock bag. Kind of redundant.
    A Pixi? You can probably run over it with a lawn mower and it would still be a workable cheap plastic phone. In fact, I wouln't recomend it, you might damage the lawn mower.
    The Pixi is for old ladies sipping tea with doily's on the coffee table and one pinky extended.

    The iPhone 4s has a new antenna design, so it is yet to be seen if there is a new "antenna" gate.

    The iPhone is a work of art. You don't drop works of art. It was featured in Momo. Won't see a Pixi in Momo or any where else for design awards. It's a throw away phone.

    Iphone 4, had it for one year, pristine condition, sold it with all original items, box, unused earphones, unused usb cable and unused power adapter in original box for $300 on ebay. How much will a Pixi go for after a year? You'd probably wind up having to pay someone to dispose of it.

    Does anyone go around doing drop test on crystal? It's glass, if you drop it of course it will shatter. If someone is the type inclined to be clumsy, get insurance from Safeware or Apple+, otherwise buy a plastic Android.
    Last edited by sinsin07; 10/25/2011 at 07:51 PM.
  5. #25  
    Uh oh, looks like I've upset the masses. How dare I question the prevailing wisdom and think outside the box. Perhaps I was inspired by an Apple commercial back in 1984. Irony.

    So no, I will not be joining the rest of the herd and buying a one-size-fits-all iPhone. The Pixi is the closest I have seen to smartphone perfection, and I don't need Momo or anyone else to validate my opinion. But you go ahead and enjoy your pretty glass phone. True genius often goes unrecognized.
    Touchscreens are a fad.
  6. #26  
    They say, beauty is in the eye of the beholder.

    2011-10-26 at 01:25.png
    2011-10-26 at 01:26.png
  7. #27  
    Quote Originally Posted by Syndil View Post
    Uh oh, looks like I've upset the masses. How dare I question the prevailing wisdom and think outside the box. Perhaps I was inspired by an Apple commercial back in 1984. Irony.

    So no, I will not be joining the rest of the herd and buying a one-size-fits-all iPhone. The Pixi is the closest I have seen to smartphone perfection, and I don't need Momo or anyone else to validate my opinion. But you go ahead and enjoy your pretty glass phone. True genius often goes unrecognized.
    LOlL. Good comeback. Power to the Pixi.
  8. #28  
    I will say this having had webos for years, and now having used the HTC Arrive since launch until last week when I bought a iphone 4, Id say if you cant wait get a Iphone 4. Though in the near future when sprint does aquire a new windows device, that is the OS you would want to have. I must say between the the 3 OS's Webos is still the best overall, though windows phone 7 is right there honestly. Now IOS offers a very clean experiance, with no hiccups or lags, but it lacks the innovation that webos, and windows phone offers at this point. So at the end of the day Windows Phone is the better OS, thats on the mainstream now.
  9. #29  
    Quote Originally Posted by wellwellwell11 View Post
    Now IOS offers a very clean experiance, with no hiccups or lags, but it lacks the innovation that webos, and windows phone offers at this point.
    Just making conversation here. Could you elaborate specifically on how webos is more innovative right now then ios. I'm curious as i'm not sure i agree. (i'm not sure i disagree either. )

    First, though i'm not sure "innovation" is that important to most consumers. I'm not sure inattentiveness is the deciding factor. Not all obviosly as people's taste and needs vary. But blackberrys still sell tons of phones but they are not what i'd call innovative. If it's true that ios is not as innovative as webos is, for the sake of argument, that innovation has in no way translated to tons of sales. I think we've seen that it often pays to not be first but be second and better. Microsoft didn't invent windows, ipod wasn't the first mp3 hard drive player, iphone wasn't the first touchscreen smartphone. Thus i think being the innovator may not jibe with what consumers find the best option. Regardless, food for thought.

    As to your point about Webos being more innovate. Well i'd kinda get Windows phone 7. It's new, its' a new and differnet look. So i'll put that aside. Plus i'm not that interested in WP7 lol. But I think two years ago maybe webos was innovative. Now we can dispute if they invented app switching. it's not like it didn't exists on an OS before but hey, cards was innovative. the swiping to close i think was innovative. But that was two years ago. But in the last year or so the only think i can think of that webos brought to the game is touch to share and honestly, i don't really see that as a sought after feature by more most people. It's nice but isn't it just NFC. And haven't we had like phone payment systems where you just swipe your phone before. And how often are people really looking to mirror a phone on a tablet? And it's not like webos invented or innovated to use that work wireless syncing. Two years ago? Yeah i think Webos was innovative. Cards, Synergy. Now TTS? is kinda all i see.

    Contrast that with current IOS, I think Siri is pretty innovative. It's basically voice search. At least i think it's more useful then TTS. That's just me. i think Airplay mirroring is pretty innovative. I don't think they invented the concept though so maybe it isn't. I think icloud is pretty unique. Again they didn't invent cloud storage but there are some features in it like itunes match that i think are innovative. i don't see that anywhere else. For the record, i have no clue why people would pay money for icloud. I wouldn't. but that's kinda beside my point. i don think it's a service that's useful an innovative. I just wouldn't pay for it.

    All that being said i'd fall back on my original point, I'm not sure being innovative equates to being the best choice option because i think it's often better to be second and best rather then just first and meh. Back to WP7, like it may very well be more innovative but i find it kinda ugly and gawdy, so for me and me alone, the fact that it's innovative would not get me past the fact that i don't really like looking at metro. Just to be clear. WP7 is a nice good OS, just looks wise it's really not my style.

    But hey opinions vary. i'm just making conversation.
    Last edited by SnotBoogie; 10/27/2011 at 04:14 PM.
    You come at the king. You best not miss.
  10. #30  
    maybe it's the 'newness' factor... but i think siri rocks and having fun with it and just cool to be able to do 'little things' without press, press, press, type, etc...

    i mean little things like 'remind me to pay amex when i get home,' etc... other platforms, including ios (siri app) had apps already... but this is polished and integrated and works great. can't wait for them to make the api for developers so that they can integrate siri.

    i like webos... but it's not innovative... it just has a nice front end with cards and gestures. others have it like the playbook... but webos has a nice look that still looks fresh... different... 'innovative looking.' but compare specs... nothing innovative anymore. more dated stuff than anything else.

    Quote Originally Posted by SnotBoogie View Post
    Contrast that with current IOS, I think Siri is pretty innovative. It's basically voice search. At least i think it's more useful then TTS. That's just me.
  11. #31  
    Quote Originally Posted by SnotBoogie View Post
    i have no clue why people would pay money for icloud. I wouldn't. but that's kinda beside my point. i don think it's a service that's useful an innovative. I just wouldn't pay for it.
    Apple gives every Apple ID 5GB for free, off the bat. That will be sufficient for most, until you start throwing in multiple devices that share the same Apple ID. That's where it really begins to shine.

    For example, say you have two games, one on your iPhone and one on your iPad (or even Mac). Using iCloud, the developer can save the game's state and let you play on one device, pick up another begin playing exactly where you left off with your previous device.

    It's a seamless, completely integrated storage service. It's much, much more than just a backup service; it provides a lot of things to developers behind the scenes that many don't realize.

    Now, if you have a lot of applications that store a lot of data or someone that takes a ton of photos/videos and you choose to have your library as part of your backup then you're also likely to exceed the 5GB. Their price points I think are more than reasonable and on par with most other no-frill, less-integrated backup services (aka Dropbox).
  12. #32  
    Quote Originally Posted by barkerja View Post
    Apple gives every Apple ID 5GB for free, off the bat. That will be sufficient for most, until you start throwing in multiple devices that share the same Apple ID. That's where it really begins to shine.

    For example, say you have two games, one on your iPhone and one on your iPad (or even Mac). Using iCloud, the developer can save the game's state and let you play on one device, pick up another begin playing exactly where you left off with your previous device.

    It's a seamless, completely integrated storage service. It's much, much more than just a backup service; it provides a lot of things to developers behind the scenes that many don't realize.

    Now, if you have a lot of applications that store a lot of data or someone that takes a ton of photos/videos and you choose to have your library as part of your backup then you're also likely to exceed the 5GB. Their price points I think are more than reasonable and on par with most other no-frill, less-integrated backup services (aka Dropbox).
    well i can comprehrend why people do it it's just not something that i find compelling.

    Honestly that whole saving game state and having it the same on my ipad (i don't actually have a tablet lol) is not something i care about. I've never needed that. In the same vain it's why i find touch to share, to be not a big deal. I just wouldn't use it. And i'm not looking to sync across devices. Not even documents.

    For example. I have almost my entire life's collection of music over more then 30 years all on hard drive. I used to dj so i have mixes and mix tapes that aren't available for download. I got mix tapes that only made the streets. Local hip-hop never released. Half my dad's jazz collection. etc. I got tons of blues, R&B, rock. A lot of which i didn't actually steal lol. I know it's not right but i'm not buying squat from Itunes or anybody else. I haven't bought music in probably 10 years. I don't use stuff like pandora. When i want to hear a song i literally go to my own library. And most of it is already in google for free. So i don't need cloud storage. Second, services like subsonic and audiogalaxy already stream all that music from my home so when i say i don't get why people would want it i really mean i don't get why people wouldn't opt for the same thing from google for free or do like me and stream everything from home with subsonic or audiogalaxy. I mean i grew up in a massively music household so what i have musicwise is technically more then i can listen to. And i barely add to it. So i don't have any itunes bought stuff to match for free. Thus i just wouldn't pay for matching the other like 20k songs.

    My whole collection is mostly mp3s and it's around 120 GBs, and probably 10 GBS of that are audiobooks and some lectures. Stuff i don't really need to stream much. Streaming from home is free. Google Music beta at the moment is free. By contrast just to get even 50 GBs on itunes would be $100 per year. To me that's paying for something i don't want or need. I can get it done better for free. And i got more then 50GBs already on google music.

    And for docs i have them in google and sugarsync at the moment. Plus there's dropbox too and other options. I get it. it's ok for that stuff, but paying for the music thing is really what i don't get. i'm not rolling in dough, i don't have it to spend now. I'm not even the type that buys new phones often. i've only had 4 phones in 12 years.

    Oh and as to your thing about video. Well i got 1.4 terabytes of video most of which won't even play on an ios device. lol. I'm not looking for cloud back up. I need to buy a 2 terabyte drive to consolidate my backups though. But uploading 1.4 terabytes to any cloud is not feasible. Hell uploading to google was pain in the ***.

    I get it. It's just that the only thing appealing about it is really streaming music and itunes match and i'd have to pay for both since i buy nothing from itunes and storing all my music would cost like $200 a year. All that or i can download the audiogalaxy app for free and just stream from my house. no contest to me.
    You come at the king. You best not miss.
  13. #33  
    Quote Originally Posted by donm527 View Post
    maybe it's the 'newness' factor... but i think siri rocks and having fun with it and just cool to be able to do 'little things' without press, press, press, type, etc...

    i mean little things like 'remind me to pay amex when i get home,' etc... other platforms, including ios (siri app) had apps already... but this is polished and integrated and works great. can't wait for them to make the api for developers so that they can integrate siri.

    i like webos... but it's not innovative... it just has a nice front end with cards and gestures. others have it like the playbook... but webos has a nice look that still looks fresh... different... 'innovative looking.' but compare specs... nothing innovative anymore. more dated stuff than anything else.
    yeah it has some cool stuff. i think that calendering stuff is cool. And sending voice text could be useful while driving. my brother uses voice commands on his evo a lot so i can see how they can be useful.
    You come at the king. You best not miss.
  14. #34  
    I'm on my iPhone 4s right now and so far I hate it. Webs was so much better. I feel like everything I do on this phone take like 5 more steps and the menus suck. The phone also is not comfortable in your hand and interface is just plain and blocky. Too many menus and to many buttons to push to do stuff. The phone is fast and solid though. The multitasking sucks. The camera is awesome and seri is fun but it's not very useful.aybe if your driving. The apps are not as pretty and easy to use. The whole interface is not as easy to use as WebOs. Also this phone does nothing by itself. I miss synergy. You can not pull information from everywhere at once. Only from one source at a time. I had to type in like 100 contacts that didn't come over. And iTunes is annoying me. I'm going on 2 days now. On day 14 if I don't get happy it's going back and I'm waiting for galaxy nexus I think.
    kathykatia and TJB like this.
  15. #35  
    The calendar email texting and notifications are all a step back from WebOs also. I can't believe this is what all the hype was about. I have no doubt WebOs is better than iOS now. I can't believe WebOs is gone.
    kathykatia and TJB like this.
  16. kathykatia's Avatar
    Posts
    3 Posts
    Global Posts
    5 Global Posts
    #36  
    Quote Originally Posted by bigwood212 View Post
    I'm on my iPhone 4s right now and so far I hate it. Webs was so much better. I feel like everything I do on this phone take like 5 more steps and the menus suck. The phone also is not comfortable in your hand and interface is just plain and blocky. Too many menus and to many buttons to push to do stuff. The phone is fast and solid though. The multitasking sucks. The camera is awesome and seri is fun but it's not very useful.aybe if your driving. The apps are not as pretty and easy to use. The whole interface is not as easy to use as WebOs. Also this phone does nothing by itself. I miss synergy. You can not pull information from everywhere at once. Only from one source at a time. I had to type in like 100 contacts that didn't come over. And iTunes is annoying me. I'm going on 2 days now. On day 14 if I don't get happy it's going back and I'm waiting for galaxy nexus I think.
    I totally agree! I'min the same boat as you. Hate the 4s, everything takes so much longer to execute. Lack of synergy kills me!
  17. ToddK's Avatar
    Posts
    666 Posts
    Global Posts
    905 Global Posts
    #37  
    Loving my Motorola Photon... miss my touchstones though.
  18. #38  
    Quote Originally Posted by bigwood212 View Post
    I'm on my iPhone 4s right now and so far I hate it. Webs was so much better. I feel like everything I do on this phone take like 5 more steps and the menus suck. The phone also is not comfortable in your hand and interface is just plain and blocky. Too many menus and to many buttons to push to do stuff. The phone is fast and solid though. The multitasking sucks. The camera is awesome and seri is fun but it's not very useful.aybe if your driving. The apps are not as pretty and easy to use. The whole interface is not as easy to use as WebOs. Also this phone does nothing by itself. I miss synergy. You can not pull information from everywhere at once. Only from one source at a time. I had to type in like 100 contacts that didn't come over. And iTunes is annoying me. I'm going on 2 days now. On day 14 if I don't get happy it's going back and I'm waiting for galaxy nexus I think.
    I share some similar feelings but I like the 4s. By the way you didn't have to type 100 contacts. There is a patch where you email your contacts to yourself and then install it on your phone and presto all your contacts are there. Unless you are putting music on your phone then you really don't need iTunes.

    I agree the UI is not near as efficient as webOS and I definitely scratch my head at some of the decisions Apple made when designing it. I disagree about the apps. I think they look very nice and the options are great although the app store is full of many versions of the same app. I enjoy the fluidity of the OS. No doubt it is optimized very well. Im happy with my choice though and while I enjoy Android, it is still clunky to navigate. Nothing beats webOS on multitasking and the gesture based UI. You'll be disappointed no matter where you go on that front. I don't think Apple has to do much to really make it better. But they are very stubborn and slow when it comes to those changes. I'll stick with it for 2 years and then maybe move to Android if iOS 6 and 7 don't address some of these fundamental flaws.
    Last edited by Superjudge; 10/30/2011 at 09:45 AM.
    UncleVanya likes this.
  19. #39  
    After using the iPhone a few more days my review has not changed. This iOS is a joke compare to WebOs. It gets me mad that the ******* put down WebOs. Multitasking is horrible and I'm tired of opening and closing things multiple times. iOS is pretty much WebOs but with the launcher stuck open and with no synergy and bad notifications and menus that lead to menus and buttons in different places for everything you do. I miss gestures most of all I think. Everything you open up has the back or home button in a different spot. End of review iPhone 4s good phone. iOS is bad though. Apps are good but i would rather be back on WebOs. If hp were to release a phone with WebOs I would come right back.
    TJB likes this.
  20. #40  
    Also I hate the sharp square edge feeling. Amazing how we all took trash talk when they started saying the pre had a sharp edge with the slider open. This phone is all edges. It does not fit comfortably in your hand at all.

    I'm done ranting now. I'm just frustrated about how it all turned out. I am going to be stuck with this phone now cause WebOs was rejected by the apple users and cast away.
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Posting Permissions