1.    #1  
    I pre-ordered a iPhone4S for Sprint last weekend because my old Pre- feels like it could eventually die any day if I keep using it in an everyday basis. I've had it for 2 years and it's still in great shape, so I want to keep it as a memory because it was my first smartphone and I love it :') hehe

Anyways, I'm having a bit of a buyers remorse about the iPhone. There's certain things that I love about webOS, a lot of them having to do with syncing and integration of the OS. I've never used an iPhone before so I'm not really sure what webOS can do that the iPhone can't. I have over 200 contacts in my Pre-, most of them having sync with my Facebook account, plus info such as e-mails, addresses, phone numbers, and so on. I also love the calendar sync because I can change things in my Google account and it transfer over to my phone or Touchpad.

I'm aware that I'd be losing the most obvious advantage which is multitasking, but I was wondering if someone who has had both phones can tell me if I can still sync with Google calender and Facebook accounts in the native contacts and calendar apps of the iPhone and if it's as well integrated into the OS as it is in webOS. Also, is it possible to somehow transfer my contacts over from the Pre to the iPhone (all 200 of them? with all their info intact?)

These seamless features are what I love most about webOS, so it's a big concern of mine. I'm actually considering maybe just giving the iPhone to my brother and buying a Pre3 off contract and go to AT&T instead if the iPhone4S really feels lacking for me.

Thanks for whoever takes the time to read this and answer it, I REALLY appreciate it because this has my nerd-heart torn!
    It will sync just fine with Google Calendar. Facebook contacts is a little trickier -- it will sync contacts based on phone numbers (and, I think, email addresses) and pull in contact photos but it won't just populate your contacts with your Facebook friends list a la webOS.

What I would do with your existing contacts is sync all 200 of them from your Palm Profile to Google. Then, when you get your iPhone 4S, set up Google Sync to pull them all in to iOS. This gives you the benefit of syncing your calendars too, along with push Gmail.
  3.    #3  
    Quote Originally Posted by nappy View Post
    It will sync just fine with Google Calendar. Facebook contacts is a little trickier -- it will sync contacts based on phone numbers (and, I think, email addresses) and pull in contact photos but it won't just populate your contacts with your Facebook friends list a la webOS.

What I would do with your existing contacts is sync all 200 of them from your Palm Profile to Google. Then, when you get your iPhone 4S, set up Google Sync to pull them all in to iOS. This gives you the benefit of syncing your calendars too, along with push Gmail.
    Is there an easy way to do this directly from my Pre? I've never used Google contacts, so I'm not too familiar to how it works.
    Quote Originally Posted by Titano View Post
    Is there an easy way to do this directly from my Pre? I've never used Google contacts, so I'm not too familiar to how it works.
    Man, it's been forever since I've touched a Pre but, IIRC, all you have to do is add your Google account to Synergy and it SHOULD automatically sync all your contacts.
    i use google contacts. i actually set up a seperate account just to have a clean unclutter phone book just for phone. That way when my pre freaks out i never have to worry. it's always back up on google. i use a seperate google account for everything else like email and docs.
    You come at the king. You best not miss.
  6.    #6  
    Man, it's been forever since I've touched a Pre but, IIRC, all you have to do is add your Google account to Synergy and it SHOULD automatically sync all your contacts.
    Haha it's cool. Thanks so much, you addressed most of my concerns. I'm happy to see it can be done one way or another.
    Really, the important thing is to make sure your stuff is on Google (which it should be if you've been letting Synergy pull in your Google info). If everything you care about is there, the migration to iPhone 4S will be surprisingly painless.
  8.    #8  
    Really, the important thing is to make sure your stuff is on Google (which it should be if you've been letting Synergy pull in your Google info). If everything you care about is there, the migration to iPhone 4S will be surprisingly painless.
    Well, now that I've been checking, I've noticed that my contacts are all either from Facebook, and the smaller remainder is a hybrid of Palm profile contacts merged with Facebook contacts for the same person. I have my Google account synced to contacts, but I don't have any Google contacts. Right now I'm trying to figure out the best way to transfer all of these and convert them into Google contacts. It seems kinda tricky following Google's import contact instructions. I need .vcf files and such it seems...
    Right now I'm trying to figure out the best way to transfer all of these and convert them into Google contacts
    I think there is a patch in preware that will make it so you can send your contacts as a email. I think its a .csv file? Can't remember. But that will give you a hard copy file of the contacts on your pre. I think?
    There's this simple way to do it from the dialer: http://www.precentral.net/export-all-your-contacts

There's also a patch called "email contacts" or some such thing that will make a vcf dump and create it as an email attachment for sending off.

So what you're saying is that on iOS there's not really a live/nightly syncing with FB to merge the ever-changing data with your contact list a la Synergy?

Incidentally, I believe this has just helped me decide that I'm definitely 2ing my minus and not using my upgrade to go iPhone. I like stuff that "just works," and iPhone's great... but I have to side with the OP: there's too much yummy goodness in Synergy alone (for my needs anyway). The handiness of FB weaving alone is hard to leave behind.