Global Posts
    544 Global Posts
    If I purchase an off-contract CDMA iPhone 4 off ebay (around $300) will I be able to activate it on Sprint?
    Not unless it's a Sprint iPhone. Same as any other phone.
    cdma carriers wont allow a phone on a network unless its specific to their network.
    Yeah, I posted about it on another thread here, but it's really not a big deal that it's CDMA and GSM in one device unless VZW and Sprint give Apple some sort of exception with regards to ESNs. Otherwise you'll still need a Sprint version or a Verizon version, or a AT&T version.

It makes things simpler for Apple, but between the two CDMA carriers and the ESN thing, and the two GSM carriers using different bands, it really has no benefit to the consumer unless you often go abroad.
    Global Posts
    544 Global Posts
    Ok, thanks for the responses. So there's no way to get an iPhone 4 on sprint without buying it brand new through Sprint/Apple? Kind of a bummer for people like me who despise contracts.
    Quote Originally Posted by wmurch3 View Post
    So there's no way to get an iPhone 4 on sprint without buying it brand new through Sprint/Apple? Kind of a bummer for people like me who despise contracts.
    You can absolutely buy an iPhone 4S and avoid a contract. You just can't get it at a discount without a contract. So you have a choice: Get the phone cheaply and sign a new contract, or don't sign a contract and pay out the rear for the phone.

The way I see it, if I'm going to pay an assload of cash for a new phone, I'm going to get my money's worth out of it anyway, which is about 2 years. So if I buy a phone off-contract and I'm still a customer after two years, that's just like throwing away the discount I could have gotten. Which, for the iPhone 4S, that's a significant amount of money to be throwing away.

If you want a cheap phone off-contract, you have to look at phones that are no longer current.
    Touchscreens are a fad.
    I added a line, to get the iPhone 4S at subsidized pricing.
    Sent from my favorite gadget!