Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
Like Tree13Likes
    Global Posts
    41 Global Posts
    As a very happy Pre owner, I'm not sure which direction to head now. I love the way it integrates w/ gmail & gcal, the apps, the notifications, everything. also love the facebook integration. truth is I'm totally bummed that I can't get a Pre 3.

facing reality I need to choose a new direction. Since I'm staying w/ Sprint I've pretty much narrowed things down to the iPhone 4S or the Galaxy S II Epic 4G Touch but have had trouble picking one over the other. hardware seems pretty close though each has minor pluses. I figure I just need to pick an OS. I'd love to hear which you guys think will be closer to my Pre.

on my ipad 2 I hate the email & calendar. though they use gmail, IMHO they don't do it right. I actually prefer to use the google mobile site. good news is iOS 5 has notifications closer to the Pre. I'll be installing the free OS upgrade on the ipad so I can have a chance to try it out before making my phone decision. iphone still doesn't have a facebook app. I also hate ipad's autocorrect. still, I'm drawn to it thinking if I get anything else I'll be making a mistake.

I know nothing about android. haven't even played w/ one. the epic looks cool & seems like I'd be happy w/ it but I have no clue how it handles gmail. i'm just assuming since it's made by google I won't be disappointed. I wish I could get demo one out for a weekend.

so which route should I go?

Global Posts
    41 Global Posts
    according to this the Gallaxy screen is 58% larger & thinner. it's 4G instead of 3 like the iphone. the iphone is higher res.
    http://www.tipb.com/2011/10/04/samsu...alking-points/

according to this, the galaxy is lighter, has a better front camera, slightly faster processor, has a microSD card that the iphone does not. also, the galaxy is about $100 more.
    http://www.tipb.com/2011/10/04/spec-...tc-titan-pre3/

according to todays iphone event, the iphone cameras is much faster all the others.
    Let me guess... Sprint diehard?

Because if you are willing to pay, both AT&T and Verizon has the Pre 3, unofficially.
    Palm IIIc -> Sony CLIÉ T650C -> Sony TJ-37 -> Palm TX -> Palm Centro -> Palm Pre Bell -> Palm Pre Plus Bell/Verizon Hybrid -> HP Veer -> HP Pre 3 NA -> BlackBerry Classic -> BlackBerry Priv

It's a Late Goodbye, such a Late Goodbye.

Need OEM Palm Pre parts? See here
    something224 likes this.
    Global Posts
    41 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ToniCipriani View Post
    Let me guess... Sprint diehard?

Because if you are willing to pay, both AT&T and Verizon has the Pre 3, unofficially.
    no, I have employees and all of our phones are on sprint. i'm not really ready to switch all 14 phones to a diff carrier. some are still under contract
    TiPb Poll: Only 21% Of iPhone Fans Are Getting an iPhone 4S

Apple iPhone 4S Improvements Over iPhone 4:
    + Siri is much like Vlingo Voice Controls
    + Faster Dual Core CPU but iPhone 4 already was really responsive
    + Apple Matched the 8MP on the rear camera

iPhone 4S Did not address:
    - Only 9% Want a Screen under 4". 4 years later, 4.5" is 58% more screen area
    - No LED Notification
    - No microSD
    - No Sprint 4G
    - No Verizon LTE
    - No AT&T HSPA+ 21Mbps
    - 0.3MP VGA front camera should have been 2MP
    - No DLNA
    - No Widgets
    - No FM Radio
    - No Keyboard options, Android has endless options
    - One Home button instead of Search, Menu, Back, and Home (also used by games)
    - No Removable, replacable battery
    - No Real micro USB connect - no proprietary USB cables.

See:
    Editorial: Now we know why Apple went after Samsung in the courtroom
    Samsung Releases a Comparison Chart: Galaxy S II vs iPhone 4S | TheUnlockr
    iPhone 4S vs. the smartphone elite: Galaxy S II, Bionic and Titan -- Engadget
    Specification Comparison: iPhone 4S vs Samsung Galaxy S II | TechnoBolt
    Last edited by milominderbinder; 10/05/2011 at 07:51 AM.
    And I'm willing to bet the antenna issue is still there.
    Global Posts
    977 Global Posts
    I am in a similar position as the OP. With the mostly underwhelming iphone 4s announcement, I am inclined to remain with my Pre- until hopefully an iphone 5 is released in the spring addressing more issues. The Pre- does what it NEEDS to do for me, but admittedly, its not as fun a phone anymore, the wind has been taken from the sale. Along the wait, if something unexpectedly happens with webOS that would be a nice surprise.
    Sprint since 01/06/99: Sanyo SCP-4500 -> Audiovox PPC-6700 -> Palm Treo 755p -> Palm Centro -> Palm Pre 1.4.5 -> Jailbroken iPhone 4s
    Apple has brought a new antenna to the iPhone 4S, which will bring better call quality.

Phil Schiller says, ”It can now intelligently switch between the antennas for even better call quality.”

I would bet Apple is going to make sure CR wont be crying about the antenna issue with S.

Quote Originally Posted by ToniCipriani View Post
    And I'm willing to bet the antenna issue is still there.
    Quote Originally Posted by milominderbinder View Post
    TiPb Poll: Only 21% Of iPhone Fans Are Getting an iPhone 4S

Apple iPhone 4S Improvements Over iPhone 4:
    + Siri is much like Vlingo Voice Controls
    + Faster Dual Core CPU but iPhone 4 already was really responsive
    + Apple Matched the 8MP on the rear camera

iPhone 4S Did not address:
    - Only 9% Want a Screen under 4". 4 years later, 4.5" is 58% more screen area
    - No LED Notification
    - No microSD
    - No Sprint 4G
    - No Verizon LTE
    - No AT&T HSPA+ 21Mbps
    - 0.3MP VGA front camera should have been 2MP
    - No DLNA
    - No Widgets
    - No FM Radio
    - No Keyboard options, Android has endless options
    - One Home button instead of Search, Menu, Back, and Home (also used by games)
    - No Removable, replacable battery
    - No Real micro USB connect - no proprietary USB cables.

See:
    Editorial: Now we know why Apple went after Samsung in the courtroom
    Samsung Releases a Comparison Chart: Galaxy S II vs iPhone 4S | TheUnlockr
    iPhone 4S vs. the smartphone elite: Galaxy S II, Bionic and Titan -- Engadget
    Specification Comparison: iPhone 4S vs Samsung Galaxy S II | TechnoBolt
    I wouldn't worry too much about it not being a 21mbps phone. I have the Galaxy s2 which is a 21mbps phone and it gets speeds of about 2mbps. About the same as my old Palm Pre.
    donm527 likes this.
    I told a friend that I wasnt concerned about 4G for similar reason... work gives me a Verizon LTE MIFI that I use with laptop or ipad2 and I do love it... in LTE areas I get about 7-8 megabits. but many areas it's not ready yet. So I could probably go a two year contract with ATT and wait until iPhone 5S

Just like Sprint... down in S FL when I have recommended sprint phones, not even WIMAX and people had signal issues. WIMAX is good advertising but actually having it in area is another thing.

Quote Originally Posted by Weaser999 View Post
    I wouldn't worry too much about it not being a 21mbps phone. I have the Galaxy s2 which is a 21mbps phone and it gets speeds of about 2mbps. About the same as my old Palm Pre.
    My situation exactly the same as the OP. However, I probably won't wait out my Pre- until the spring. I wouldn't mind switching to Verizon; coverage would be better. What is the latest on a Pre3 Verizon??
    Assuming I stay on Sprint and have to choose: there is no 4g in my area or any areas I hang out in, so that's not an issue. I like smaller phones (like the Pre) so I suspect the Samsung will be pretty hard to handle. Going to give them a look at BB. My problem is that I hate, absolutely hate, Android. This will not be easy.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mutt View Post
    also, the galaxy is about $100 more.
    how so? the Epic Touch is $200*.

the cheapest iPhone 4S is $199* and the 64GB model is $399*...and that is ON CONTRACT.

* - subsidized price
    * iPhone has a pretty good Facebook app, ipad did not but iphone surely does.
    * IOS 5 notifications are similar to Android not WebOS with flick to launch instead of tap.
    * I have recently bought Evo 3D and it has impressed me a lot so Epic Touch should be pretty good and if you don't like an app or the way an app handles task you can always replace it.
    * I am interested in iphone 4S for its World phone capabilities (I wasn't interested in Photon for it being Motorolla device).
    Maybe he saw the iphone 4 price of $99 and thought it was the 4s

-- Sent from my HP TouchPad using Communities
    I was really upset about the Iphone 4S yesterday. All that time me waiting and now I'm left with my old frankenpre2. I'm so tired of this phone. I really wanted the Iphone 4S to be 4inches. Now a days, phones are all about screen size and excellent resolution.

so that leaves me with either the Galaxy s 2 or there anymore 4+inch phones coming out soon that will be better than the galaxy s 2?
    Evo3D may not be better than Epic touch but it is still a great phone

Nexus prime with the rumored 720p screen is supposed to be a Verizon phone.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mutt View Post
    I know nothing about android. haven't even played w/ one.
    Honestly, you’re doing yourself a dis-service by just asking other people for their opinion on the choice if this is the case.

Go read some articles about android in general, plus multiple articles about the android phone you are specifically looking at. Get a general background on android and then go play with a couple at the store. *Then* ask other people to give you their point of view on the subject. That way you have some foundation of information to compare the responses against, plus you can also be in a position to ask more intelligent follow-up questions based on the opinions given.

Finally, it has been shown time and again in these forums that people with little to no knowledge about android (and likely iphone) don’t hesitate to give out incorrect information left and right. It’s a lot easier to separate the legitimate, differing viewpoints from the plain, old FUD if you know a bit about the topic first.

-Suntan
    crucian4 likes this.
    Quote Originally Posted by sapient2k7 View Post
    Nexus prime with the rumored 720p screen is supposed to be a Verizon phone.
    There is no real foundation for this speculation any more than their is that the prime (if it is even called that) will be available on multiple carriers.

-Suntan
    I really should go to Sprint store and play with the galaxy s 2.
    Global Posts
    977 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by davidra View Post
    My problem is that I hate, absolutely hate, Android. This will not be easy.
    ding ding ding ding

Can't stand them myself either. I was so looking forward to a revolutionary iphone 5 on Sprint. With just the iphone 4s and speculation that the iphone 5 will be out in the spring, I don't want to get locked in to a contract with the 4s and miss the 5 launch, if that is what happens. So, I hang with the Pre- for a bit.
    Sprint since 01/06/99: Sanyo SCP-4500 -> Audiovox PPC-6700 -> Palm Treo 755p -> Palm Centro -> Palm Pre 1.4.5 -> Jailbroken iPhone 4s
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast