Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345
Like Tree13Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by sapient2k7 View Post
    Any poof of that or have you just been brainwashed by apple's amrketing. USB is a high speed data connection (480 MBps) which should be enough to perform any task that they are doing today. IF they can use airplay to stream video over wifi with 54 Mbps theoretical speed then they can make do with usb. I call this pure FUD and I am disappointed barkerja I expected better from you.

Usually the reason proprietary connections are invented is purely financial. A proprietary connection allows a manufacturer to sell accessories and in case of iPhone Apple sells no less than 5 and all accessories are sold at a HUGE premium.
    While it's no secret that Apple makes money off its 30-pin connector through licensing deals (it does the same with AirPlay as it requires a special chip), however at the time the 30-pin was created, it served many purposes that weren't available today with the biggest being it was capable of providing BOTH stereo audio and video.

In addition to USB, the 30-pin also supports HDMI. Any company serious about having a full-fledge media device certainly requires a proprietary port.

I'd say it's certainly worked out in their favor and continues to do so. I don't see many micro-USB enabled alarm clock docks when I stay at the hotel or walk the aisles of Best Buy.
    sinsin07 likes this.
    Quote Originally Posted by barkerja View Post
    While it's no secret that Apple makes money off its 30-pin connector through licensing deals (it does the same with AirPlay as it requires a special chip), however at the time the 30-pin was created, it served many purposes that weren't available today with the biggest being it was capable of providing BOTH stereo audio and video.

In addition to USB, the 30-pin also supports HDMI. Any company serious about having a full-fledge media device certainly requires a proprietary port.

I'd say it's certainly worked out in their favor and continues to do so. I don't see many micro-USB enabled alarm clock docks when I stay at the hotel or walk the aisles of Best Buy.
    That's really funny. There are more micro-USB device in the wild, yet vendor, business, stores expect/cater to iOS devices. Amazing.
    I would say it all depends what you are looking for in a phone. If you are alright with a smaller screen and a phone that just works go with the iphone. If you want a larger screen that is easily customizable then go with the epic touch.
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345