Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Like Tree13Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by CGK View Post
    I'm starting to think the same thing - I've done rooting, rom upgrades, the works and I simply want something that works out of the box (and on the news that Apple has pre-orders of one million units in the first day, clear so do a lot of other people)...

so this Christmas, I might overcome my nature cheapness and buy an iphone 4s.
    What I've learned from using Android is it's Nexus or nothing. With a Nexus device you know software is going to work with little to no problems like the iPhone. I am never buying another Android device that isn't a Nexus phone.
    Last edited by koolkid09; 10/10/2011 at 05:59 PM.
    iPhone 4S Preliminary Benchmarks. i dont know where the epic falls in those charts.

AnandTech - iPhone 4S Preliminary Benchmarks: ~800MHz A5, Slightly Slower GPU than iPad 2, Still Very Fast
    Last edited by donm527; 10/11/2011 at 02:16 PM.
    For what it's worth, my wife and I went with a Focus (WP7). After a couple weeks of use, although it has some neat stuff in mango, we have preordered icrap 4s phones and are looking to return the WP7's before the 30 day window is up.... I feel dirty going to iOS, but at least the wife will be happy with her Dexter app.

Sent from my SGH-i917 using Board Express
    Quote Originally Posted by koolkid09 View Post
    What I've learned from using Android is it's Nexus or nothing. With a Nexus device you know software is going to work with little to no problems like the iPhone.
    What Iíve learned (about 6 months into owning an android phone) is that there is a small *but very vocal* group of android users that blow this sentiment completely out of proportion.

The reality is that there are a lot of android phone options. Some pure Google, some with skins. Most of the ones with skins work just fine. Finally, most of the ďoutrageĒ with skins basically boils down to personal choice. Choose a phone you like with an interface you like, make sure the maker has a good reputation for supporting their products and you should be fine.

FWIW, I canít think of any android vendor that has had as bad of a track record with delaying, overpromising and outright ending support for phones as badly as the few webOS phones have had.

-Suntan
    Global Posts
    269 Global Posts
    I too am like the OP, where my plussed Sprint Pre is just not cutting it anymore. I could get a FrankenPre 2, but I'd be paying about the same amount for an unsupported and un-warranty-able phone. I went with an iPhone 4s because I think I'm done with tinkering on the phone and the OS. I just want it to work now. From my research, I'd probably want to put a custom ROM on whatever Android phone I would pick. I also didn't want the biggest slab out there, and the iPhone seems to be one of the smaller ones. If HTC would have put out an newer version of the Evo Shift, that would have been my Android choice due to its size and physical keyboard. I also know this is cliche, but when someone says "there's an app for that" I want to go "cool, I'll download it now" instead of my usual "I'll email the developer and ask for a webOS version" which has never worked. So sometime tomorrow, wait I just checked the time, today, I'll greet the UPS dude and start my new adventure with iOS, while hoping that webOS makes a comeback in time for my next contract. My Pre Plus will still be used as my workout device, and my almost 4 year old is learning webOS on my Pre Minus, which puts a smile on my face.
    Quote Originally Posted by Suntan View Post
    What Iíve learned (about 6 months into owning an android phone) is that there is a small *but very vocal* group of android users that blow this sentiment completely out of proportion.

The reality is that there are a lot of android phone options. Some pure Google, some with skins. Most of the ones with skins work just fine. Finally, most of the ďoutrageĒ with skins basically boils down to personal choice. Choose a phone you like with an interface you like, make sure the maker has a good reputation for supporting their products and you should be fine.

FWIW, I canít think of any android vendor that has had as bad of a track record with delaying, overpromising and outright ending support for phones as badly as the few webOS phones have had.

-Suntan
    No particular order of devices.

Samsung Fascinate
    Samsung Capacitive
    Samsung Epic
    HTC Desire
    HTC Hero
    HTC Evo will not be getting anymore updates
    etc...

I get that some people like the skins. But if they are the same people calling Android trash because their phone has problems or isn't getting updated anymore their feelings fall on death ears because technically the companies don't have to update your phone. You bought it for what it is. And if the skin made their experience crap and they didn't see it within the first 30 days then your out of luck. Harsh reality.
    Quote Originally Posted by irateb View Post
    I too am like the OP, where my plussed Sprint Pre is just not cutting it anymore. I could get a FrankenPre 2, but I'd be paying about the same amount for an unsupported and un-warranty-able phone. I went with an iPhone 4s because I think I'm done with tinkering on the phone and the OS. I just want it to work now. From my research, I'd probably want to put a custom ROM on whatever Android phone I would pick. I also didn't want the biggest slab out there, and the iPhone seems to be one of the smaller ones. If HTC would have put out an newer version of the Evo Shift, that would have been my Android choice due to its size and physical keyboard. I also know this is cliche, but when someone says "there's an app for that" I want to go "cool, I'll download it now" instead of my usual "I'll email the developer and ask for a webOS version" which has never worked. So sometime tomorrow, wait I just checked the time, today, I'll greet the UPS dude and start my new adventure with iOS, while hoping that webOS makes a comeback in time for my next contract. My Pre Plus will still be used as my workout device, and my almost 4 year old is learning webOS on my Pre Minus, which puts a smile on my face.
    Hope you enjoy it! My 4S arrived yesterday and I'm very happy!
    Sent from my favorite gadget!
    I'm enjoying my 4S but it seems exhausting trying to navigate. Constantly having to press a software or hardware button to go back and forth is not as nice as swiping for sure. While I enjoy the apps, the hardware, and the smoothness of the OS, I just miss the UI awesomeness of webOS. I'm sure it will get more natural in time but its tough now.
    Global Posts
    782 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ToniCipriani View Post
    And I'm willing to bet the antenna issue is still there.
    Actually, the 4S "intelligently switches between two antennas." Much different than the 4 and 1st hands on reviews is that it works well.

Here is an article from Gizmodo:

Giz Explains: What's So Smart About the iPhone 4S's Antenna?

Also, another improvement of the 4S over the 4, it is now a world phone--even for Sprint.
    Global Posts
    782 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by milominderbinder View Post
    TiPb Poll: Only 21% Of iPhone Fans Are Getting an iPhone 4S

Apple iPhone 4S Improvements Over iPhone 4:
    + Siri is much like Vlingo Voice Controls
    + Faster Dual Core CPU but iPhone 4 already was really responsive
    + Apple Matched the 8MP on the rear camera

iPhone 4S Did not address:
    - Only 9% Want a Screen under 4". 4 years later, 4.5" is 58% more screen area
    - No LED Notification
    - No microSD
    - No Sprint 4G
    - No Verizon LTE
    - No AT&T HSPA+ 21Mbps
    - 0.3MP VGA front camera should have been 2MP
    - No DLNA
    - No Widgets
    - No FM Radio
    - No Keyboard options, Android has endless options
    - One Home button instead of Search, Menu, Back, and Home (also used by games)
    - No Removable, replacable battery
    - No Real micro USB connect - no proprietary USB cables.

See:
    Editorial: Now we know why Apple went after Samsung in the courtroom
    Samsung Releases a Comparison Chart: Galaxy S II vs iPhone 4S | TheUnlockr
    iPhone 4S vs. the smartphone elite: Galaxy S II, Bionic and Titan -- Engadget
    Specification Comparison: iPhone 4S vs Samsung Galaxy S II | TechnoBolt
    If only 21% of iPhone 4 users are upgrading, there must be a heck of a lot of people switching to the iPhone or moving up from the iPhone 3 because sales are at record levels. Over 1 million sold in 1st 24 hrs, Sprint had their best day of sales ever--by noon--and many sellers (Sprint for example) are now out of stock.

As far as improvements over the iPhone 4 & in general:

--you said it "matched the 8MP on the rear camera..." Actually, the 4 has a 5MP camera. The 4S has an 8MP, a bigger aperture, an extra lens, auto stabilization, autofocus, face detection in still photos and records video in 1080p--a major upgrade in the camera.

--you didn't address that it is a world phone--even the Sprint version

--photos can be taken from the locked screen

--no DLNA, but has Air Play mirroring and video out--granted you need other Apple accessories to make this work (cables or Apple TV, etc.)

--no microSD, but for $100 a 32G option and for $200 a 64G option. Buyers can decide if it is worth it.

--Siri works in English, French and German for now; keyboard support in just about every language as well as dictionary support in numerous languages for text support and auto correct. I don't know how well this is done on other phones. I didn't get the impression it was done that well on the Pre line.

Look, not my job to talk up Apple, but I didn't think you did this as objectively as you have in the past; furthermore, I wish I were talking about a Palm Pre product, not an Apple product.
    sinsin07 likes this.
    Global Posts
    782 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Mutt View Post
    the guys will get rugged / simple phones. (not smart phones) we're in construction & the iphone makes no sense. i'm just looking for myself & 1 other.
    Don't forget, Sprint is selling the iPhone 4 for only $99.
    if you do jump platforms (I was saddened to do so), rememeber your old phone still works on wi-fi, app catalog and all. In fact, I keep my old frankenpre2 by my bedside (bit of nostalgia too). You can turn on airplane mode and then still turn on wifi and the battery lasts forever it seems.

It uses same microusb charging cord as my galaxy s epic4g.

but w/o a doubt, app juggling/throwing the cards was one of palm's hallmarks of webos
    Quote Originally Posted by milominderbinder View Post
    TiPb Poll: Only 21% Of iPhone Fans Are Getting an iPhone 4S

Apple iPhone 4S Improvements Over iPhone 4:
    + Siri is much like Vlingo Voice Controls
    + Faster Dual Core CPU but iPhone 4 already was really responsive
    + Apple Matched the 8MP on the rear camera

iPhone 4S Did not address:
    - Only 9% Want a Screen under 4". 4 years later, 4.5" is 58% more screen area
    - No LED Notification
    - No microSD
    - No Sprint 4G
    - No Verizon LTE
    - No AT&T HSPA+ 21Mbps
    - 0.3MP VGA front camera should have been 2MP
    - No DLNA
    - No Widgets
    - No FM Radio
    - No Keyboard options, Android has endless options
    - One Home button instead of Search, Menu, Back, and Home (also used by games)
    - No Removable, replacable battery
    - No Real micro USB connect - no proprietary USB cables.

See:
    Editorial: Now we know why Apple went after Samsung in the courtroom
    Samsung Releases a Comparison Chart: Galaxy S II vs iPhone 4S | TheUnlockr
    iPhone 4S vs. the smartphone elite: Galaxy S II, Bionic and Titan -- Engadget
    Specification Comparison: iPhone 4S vs Samsung Galaxy S II | TechnoBolt
    The only valid thing I could see in your not addressed list it the front-facing VGA camera. Something a bit nicer for FaceTime would be excellent, but it's not terrible as things stand today.

The rest, I hope is never added or at least an option to not include. And there is a reason for almost every item listed there, and those reasons can easily be found.

For example: the iPhone wouldn't be capable of many of the things it does through its 30-pin connector with a normal USB connector.
    Quote Originally Posted by barkerja View Post

For example: the iPhone wouldn't be capable of many of the things it does through its 30-pin connector with a normal USB connector.
    Any poof of that or have you just been brainwashed by apple's amrketing. USB is a high speed data connection (480 MBps) which should be enough to perform any task that they are doing today. IF they can use airplay to stream video over wifi with 54 Mbps theoretical speed then they can make do with usb. I call this pure FUD and I am disappointed barkerja I expected better from you.

Usually the reason proprietary connections are invented is purely financial. A proprietary connection allows a manufacturer to sell accessories and in case of iPhone Apple sells no less than 5 and all accessories are sold at a HUGE premium.
    Quote Originally Posted by sapient2k7 View Post
    Any poof of that or have you just been brainwashed by apple's amrketing. USB is a high speed data connection (480 MBps) which should be enough to perform any task that they are doing today. IF they can use airplay to stream video over wifi with 54 Mbps theoretical speed then they can make do with usb. I call this pure FUD and I am disappointed barkerja I expected better from you.

Usually the reason proprietary connections are invented is purely financial. A proprietary connection allows a manufacturer to sell accessories and in case of iPhone Apple sells no less than 5 and all accessories are sold at a HUGE premium.
    You provided no proof of what you are saying either. The 30 pin adapter these days is available in a lot or places, and cheaper than what Apple sells it for. No need to spend your money on Apple prices.
    Quote Originally Posted by sinsin07 View Post
    You provided no proof of what you are saying either. The 30 pin adapter these days is available in a lot or places, and cheaper than what Apple sells it for. No need to spend your money on Apple prices.
    I gave information about airplay video streaming over wifi G and compared it with usb 2 standard. What more proof do you need?
    well, i would just argue that the point of not having a micro usb is useless... that the 30 pin connector will be able to handle about everything a micro usb can... and that developers will not be shunning the 30-pin connector because people want in on the apple market.

i think what will be more important is the devices hooked up to the port by utilizing other tech in the phone... bluetooth 4.0... that you see being shown for the iphone/30-pin like the heart monitor, radiation detector, etc.

I gave information about airplay video streaming over wifi G and compared it with usb 2 standard. What more proof do you need?
    sinsin07 likes this.
    Also the point about lacking LTE is also really not a big issue now...

I just set up my 4S this morning and speed tested the HSPA+ from my house...

HSPA+ - over 3.5mb down... 1 mb up.

I also have a Verizon LTE MIF and at home - about 1mb up and 1 down.

I have been in different areas and have gotten over 6-7mb on my MIFI. but i think the point is that speeds will vary with location and both HSPA+ and LTE will both be as spotty that LTE on the iphone will not be a disadvantage and can wait until iphone 5 or 5S eh?
    sinsin07 likes this.
    Quote Originally Posted by donm527 View Post
    Also the point about lacking LTE is also really not a big issue now...

I just set up my 4S this morning and speed tested the HSPA+ from my house...

HSPA+ - over 3.5mb down... 1 mb up.

I also have a Verizon LTE MIF and at home - about 1mb up and 1 down.

I have been in different areas and have gotten over 6-7mb on my MIFI. but i think the point is that speeds will vary with location and both HSPA+ and LTE will both be as spotty that LTE on the iphone will not be a disadvantage and can wait until iphone 5 or 5S eh?
    Congrats on your 4S. Siri is awesome. Eliminates the need of opening 14 apps.
    What does Airplay have to do with a USB vs. 30 Pin connector? What is needed is a comparison of what is available to do on USB connector vs. what is possible on the 30 pin connector.

For that matter, why even make a thirty PIN adapter if all you want to do is have a proprietary connector? You can make proprietary connector with less pins, more profit.
    Last edited by sinsin07; 10/16/2011 at 11:28 AM.
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast