Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Like Tree13Likes
    Global Posts
    41 Global Posts
    25 Reasons to Consider the Sprint Epic 4G Touch
    http://forums.androidcentral.com/spr...-4g-touch.html
    http://androidandme.com/2011/10/devi...i-wouldnt-buy/

nice video showing the new 4S features
    Last edited by Mutt; 10/06/2011 at 07:10 AM.
    Global Posts
    545 Global Posts
    If you're worried about signing another contract, you could buy a Samsung Nexus S 4g off contract for around 150-200. That's what I did and it really is a great phone.

The hardware is great and the SAMOLED display is fantastic. Not only that, it's a nexus phone so it will be one of the first to receive ICS when it drops. Downside is it doesn't have a notification light but you can use NoLED to fill in that gap.

Still, I am considering going with the iPhone4s myself. Waiting to see some reviews of the Sprint version first. I think iOS is just a more refined experience in general than Android.
    Global Posts
    41 Global Posts
    turns out you can install iOS5 now
    Upgrade to iOS 5 Right Now

i'm going to throw it on my ipad2 so I can check out the changes
    I stopped by a store today; had been planning on the 4s but after playing with the Epic, I was mightily impressed, maybe even enough to get by my hatred of Android. But some questions for those experienced with both OS's:
    1. Free tethering with iOS or Android? How complicated to arrange?
    2. Any way to avoid the PIN lock required for some Exchange servers in either OS? I have become very used to the Bypass PIN lock patch on my Pre.
    3. Battery life on the Epic? I realize we don't know about the 4S.
    I went ahead and pre-ordered the iPhone 4S today. I will definitely give it a serious spin for 2 weeks and make a final decision. I feel sad to be giving up my Pre but its with a glitchy touchscreen and no support, I have to move on. Thank god I have a touchpad. I have to admit that Android is starting to come into its own with ICS so this was a tough choice but in the end I chose what I felt was closest to webOS from my experience. If I don't like it then I'll return it and probably get a Nexus S. The Prime looks nice but 4.6" is just too big for me especially when I keep the phone in my front pocket and it's going to Verizon anyways.
    Giving up my Evo, ordered the 4S, today!
    Sent from my favorite gadget!
    i went with old one epic 4g galaxys (the one with keyboard). Keyboard really helps. I can't imagine w/o one. $40 at Sams club (w/2yr new sprint) in store. Mojo apps can be ported to android from webos using Phonegap (with modifications)

Easypulse for webos already in android catalog. What's shaking almost finished. done. Techtray planned in teh future.

Can't wait around forever waiting for HP with no phones on the distant horizon. I have my touchpad and will enjoy webos on it.
    looking at the Android forums a number of people are having connection problems with the Epic...sounds like a major bug....
    verwon likes this.
    Quote Originally Posted by verwon View Post
    Giving up my Evo, ordered the 4S, today!
    You've been at this a while...and I can't decide. I assume you are not delighted with Android? Why are you switching?
    verwon likes this.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mutt View Post
    no, I have employees and all of our phones are on sprint. i'm not really ready to switch all 14 phones to a diff carrier. some are still under contract
    if your business will own the phones, I would not suggest purchasing iphones for your employess. I noticed from supporting phones employees tend not to take care of company owned equipment. It would be better to get a more rugged android phone. The iPhone cannot take a lot of abuse (drops)
    Quote Originally Posted by davidra View Post
    You've been at this a while...and I can't decide. I assume you are not delighted with Android? Why are you switching?
    On Android, the devices get very glitchy, at least with Sprint doing update over update. To get it usable, I had to root my phone and install a custom ROM. Otherwise, I'd get constant reboots and, when I'd wake the phone, I'd have about a 15 second delay, waiting for the screen to populate, before I could do anything.

They also abandon devices very fast, the Evo 4G will not be getting anymore Android updates from HTC, or Sprint. The last one it got was declared the last.

I have an iPad 2 and realized that iOS just works, right out of the box. I've gotten several updates, since I bought it and not a single glitch, or slow down.
    On Android, the devices get very glitchy, at least with Sprint doing update over update. To get it usable, I had to root my phone and install a custom ROM. Otherwise, I'd get constant reboots and, when I'd wake the phone, I'd have about a 15 second delay, waiting for the screen to populate, before I could do anything.

They also abandon devices very fast, the Evo 4G will not be getting anymore Android updates from HTC, or Sprint. The last one it got was declared the last.

I have an iPad 2 and realized that iOS just works, right out of the box. I've gotten several updates, since I bought it and not a single glitch, or slow down.
    Thanks, that's about what I figured. I have an iPad2 for work purposes and I've had the same experience with it. I also picked up a few Touchpads during the sale and I like them too....but they just aren't as smooth and trouble-free as the iPad. Plus, the iPhone is officially no longer cool, so I suppose it's time to get one.

Oh...and then there's this:

http://community.sprint.com/baw/thre...0&tstart=0
    verwon likes this.
    Verwon, I haven't switched to android but my wife has been thru three- droid 2, htc incredible, and samsung fascinate, and has had all kinds of bugs on each. I am now getting her an iphone 4s and hope to never have to hear her complaining about her phone,or atleast minimize the complaints.

my question for you- my pre plus, and now my pre2 has been alot more stable than any of the android devices.

would you say webos is more stable than android?
    Quote Originally Posted by MDsmartphone View Post
    Verwon, I haven't switched to android but my wife has been thru three- droid 2, htc incredible, and samsung fascinate, and has had all kinds of bugs on each. I am now getting her an iphone 4s and hope to never have to hear her complaining about her phone,or atleast minimize the complaints.

my question for you- my pre plus, and now my pre2 has been alot more stable than any of the android devices.

would you say webos is more stable than android?
    It really depends what you're dealing with. Out of the box, before getting any updates, I'd have said my Evo with Android was more stable, but once I received a few OTA updates, webOS definitely comes out the winner. You really shouldn't gave to root your phone and install custom ROMs to get stability back. I never had the problems on my Pre- that I've had with my Evo.

However, for overall out of the box stability and reliability, iOS wins, in my opinion.
    Quote Originally Posted by davidra View Post
    Thanks, that's about what I figured. I have an iPad2 for work purposes and I've had the same experience with it. I also picked up a few Touchpads during the sale and I like them too....but they just aren't as smooth and trouble-free as the iPad. Plus, the iPhone is officially no longer cool, so I suppose it's time to get one.

Oh...and then there's this:

Sprint Community: Loss of Signal on Samsung Epic 4G Touch
    The other issue with any Samsung phone is that they are also very slow to issue any updates, even if it's for security flaws.
    Quote Originally Posted by milominderbinder View Post
    TiPb Poll: Only 21% Of iPhone Fans Are Getting an iPhone 4S

Apple iPhone 4S Improvements Over iPhone 4:
    + Siri is much like Vlingo Voice Controls
    + Faster Dual Core CPU but iPhone 4 already was really responsive
    + Apple Matched the 8MP on the rear camera
    iPhone 4S Did not address:

- Only 9% Want a Screen under 4". 4 years later, 4.5" is 58% more screen area
    - No LED Notification
    - No microSD
    - No Sprint 4G
    - No Verizon LTE
    - No AT&T HSPA+ 21Mbps
    - 0.3MP VGA front camera should have been 2MP
    - No DLNA
    - No Widgets
    - No FM Radio
    - No Keyboard options, Android has endless options
    - One Home button instead of Search, Menu, Back, and Home (also used by games)
    - No Removable, replacable battery
    - No Real micro USB connect - no proprietary USB cables.

See:
    Editorial: Now we know why Apple went after Samsung in the courtroom
    Samsung Releases a Comparison Chart: Galaxy S II vs iPhone 4S | TheUnlockr
    iPhone 4S vs. the smartphone elite: Galaxy S II, Bionic and Titan -- Engadget
    Specification Comparison: iPhone 4S vs Samsung Galaxy S II | TechnoBolt
    Some items of note:
    • Galaxy S II has 48GB of total max storage. iPhone has 64 GB option.
    • Iphone 4S has LED option in Settings/Accessibility
    • DLNA: Not sure what you're looking for but there's this (one of several): SmartStor Fusion Stream DLNA Digital Media App

Curious, no mention of the following:
    • Five element lens
    • f2.4 aperture (faster than most consumer SLR lens)
    • Backside illumination sensor, 73% more light, 33% faster capture
    • Apple designed ISP: face detection, 26% better auto white balance

+ 250 new items in ios5 iOS 5 Has Over 200 New Features

Siri is much like Vlingo Voice Controls. Nice downplay.
    Here is the comparison chart:

Vlingo:

Vs.

Siri:

If you watch the Apple Podcast from Tuesday you will see that Siri is more advanced than Vlingo.
    Last edited by sinsin07; 10/09/2011 at 03:01 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by tkd27 View Post
    Have you considered Windows Phone 7? You'd get the keyboard and 4G with a much more refreshing OS.

If the keyboard is a big deal, don't go with iPhone. But if you can learn to love a virtual keyboard (I bet you probably can), you should go with that. One feature you can add to the iPhone list, BTW, is killer battery life. My wife just replaced her Pre Plus with an iPhone 4 and she can't believe that she can get through a whole day without worrying about charging her phone. Actually, she seems to have a little PTSD about and starts freaking out when she gets down to 40% battery, lol.

Good luck with whatever you decide
    I agree....this is what I'm looking at through Sprint, the HTC Arrive. With the latest update to Mango, it seems like it has some features of webOS.....not exact, I know....but similar. So, just curious, what are the negatives that folks in here have with the WP7 phones? I went and looked at one this weekend and it seems like a pretty solid phone. I gotta say, that it is disappointing what the sales reps don't know. I mentioned Mango to the Sprint sales rep and he said he didn't know when they were getting that, and I had to tell him that Sprint alread had it. I guess they are just taught to push people towards Android or iPhone. In fact, when I asked to see the Arrive, his first question was "why would you be interested in that phone?"

So....why not the WP7 phones?
    PalmPilot, PalmIIIc, Treo 650, Pre, Pre 3, Nokia 1020, Lumia 950

"It's good to be the King" - Mel Brooks, History of the World, Part 1

"I would rather have a German division in front of me than a French one behind me." General George S. Patton
    Global Posts
    41 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by sinsin07 View Post
    if your business will own the phones, I would not suggest purchasing iphones for your employess. I noticed from supporting phones employees tend not to take care of company owned equipment. It would be better to get a more rugged android phone. The iPhone cannot take a lot of abuse (drops)
    the guys will get rugged / simple phones. (not smart phones) we're in construction & the iphone makes no sense. i'm just looking for myself & 1 other.
  19. cgk
    Global Posts
    9,556 Global Posts
    It really depends what you're dealing with. Out of the box, before getting any updates, I'd have said my Evo with Android was more stable, but once I received a few OTA updates, webOS definitely comes out the winner. You really shouldn't gave to root your phone and install custom ROMs to get stability back. I never had the problems on my Pre- that I've had with my Evo.

However, for overall out of the box stability and reliability, iOS wins, in my opinion.
    I'm starting to think the same thing - I've done rooting, rom upgrades, the works and I simply want something that works out of the box (and on the news that Apple has pre-orders of one million units in the first day, clear so do a lot of other people)...

so this Christmas, I might overcome my nature cheapness and buy an iphone 4s.
    Quote Originally Posted by CGK View Post
    I'm starting to think the same thing - I've done rooting, rom upgrades, the works and I simply want something that works out of the box (and on the news that Apple has pre-orders of one million units in the first day, clear so do a lot of other people)...

so this Christmas, I might overcome my nature cheapness and buy an iphone 4s.
    LOL! Hope you do!
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast