Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Like Tree13Likes
    why don't you just get the 4S and then sell your 4S and get the Iphone 5 when it comes out? Who said Sprint though? APPLE never said anything. As usual, it's people like us that make the Iphone rumor lol
    Quote Originally Posted by jdod View Post
    ding ding ding ding

Can't stand them myself either. I was so looking forward to a revolutionary iphone 5 on Sprint. With just the iphone 4s and speculation that the iphone 5 will be out in the spring, I don't want to get locked in to a contract with the 4s and miss the 5 launch, if that is what happens. So, I hang with the Pre- for a bit.
    Yes...and in response to the comments about people discussing Android without knowledge of it, my wife has a Droid X. I have spent more time with that phone that anyone should have to. It's not that Android is buggy; it's just unbelievably ponderous. So is iOS for that matter (I have a iPad as well as a Touchpad). But given my situation, I'm leaning toward the iPhone. I do need to go hold the Samsung to get an idea of how much of my pocket it will take up. One thing I love about the Pre...it fits so easily in a pocket.
    Quote Originally Posted by rigo0523 View Post
    Who said Sprint though? APPLE never said anything. As usual, it's people like us that make the Iphone rumor lol
    Um. Yes they did.

Plus there's this.

verwon likes this.
    I mean to say Iphone 5 for spring lol

Quote Originally Posted by j_grouchy View Post
    Um. Yes they did.

Plus there's [url=

[URL= to view quoted image[/URL]
    i agree on that one... just like i saw on cnbc a reporter said at no time did you ever hear apple say iphone 5 in past months... no one mention spring. people just hoping.

look at when 3gs came out... did 4 come out soon after?
    i think it was close to a year right?

they're busy enough with other products releases throughout the year...
    macbook refreshes, mac air, desktops, ipads.

i think the earthquake probably extended the time to release on the new phone...
    but i would guess going forward that this will be the time period for future releases...
    which still makes it before the holiday season.

I mean to say Iphone 5 for spring lol
    paul-c likes this.
    Global Posts
    41 Global Posts
    how so? the Epic Touch is $200*.

the cheapest iPhone 4S is $199* and the 64GB model is $399*...and that is ON CONTRACT.

* - subsidized price
    sorry, i thought it was $299

I'm glad I'll be able to demo iOS5 on my ipad becasue there are lots of things about iOS4 that I'm not crazy about. wish I could demo gingerbread the same way. here is some stuff that seemed noteable.

SIRI (LINK)
    this is their big new thing. it's a voice assistant that can handle almost every aspect of the phone reading **** to you or taking dictation. it can also answer questions and give you answers, definitions, etc. basically it searches the web & tells you what something is. (info from wikipedia, movie listings, weather, news, etc) it seems very neat & I assume as apps come out it will gain functionality like having it run a price check. android also has voice recognition but this seems to do more but I really don't know.

PHONE (LINK)
    the phone has a second mic that is supposed to handle noise reduction on phone calls. visual voicemail looks nice. reminds me of how google voice is setup.

CONTACTS (LINK)
    says very little. no mention of grabbing facebook pics & auto sticking them on your contacts. since there is no facebook app or integration, I guess it doesn't do that. maybe someone w/ an iphone can let me know. what I do know is my current ipad only knows the people i've emailed from the ipad. when i go to write a new email & the autofinish rarely finishes the email for me even though it's in my gmail contacts & is someone who sends me mail. I hope it's improved.

MESSAGING (LINK)
    they are all proud of the new imessage (special iphone to iphone texting) but i don't know what regular texting to non-iphone is like. they don't mention it at all. besides, didn't they learn from blackberry BBM? why the **** would I want regular texting & a separate iphone texting? UPDATE: I was wrong it does mention regular texting. here's everything it said "And you can text and send photos and videos via MMS to other mobile phones over 3G". The voice assistant SIRI can handle reading or sending texts for you.

MAIL (LINK)
    the email editor now allows for some formatting which is nice. it also handles inline images. what I love is thread view. by biggest gripe about the current email is it couldn't list the email in thread view like gmail does. now emails & replies should be lumped together allowing you to look at the whole conversation. the new voice assistant Siri can handle reading your emails to you or taking dictation & sending them.

the autocorrect claims you have to tap the suggested word to accept the change. we'll see. the current system will take it if you hit the space bar as well which any time you finish the word it changes it whether you tap or not. it makes it impossible for me to type something like my email address without it getting ****ed up.

it claims that the search scours the remote email server searching senders, recipients, & subjects. it's not clear if it searches the remote message text. it's worded like it does but in such a way that they may have been referring to searching the message text of the currently open email. we'll see how it works cause the current system never finds what I'm looking for. it tells me it's searched 25,000 emails & no results but if I open gmail & search for the exact same terms, it finds them right away. nothing in the description makes it seem like the search feature is new or improved.

CALENDAR (LINK)
    the calendar on the iphone looks way nicer than the one on the ipad. it thought they would have been the same app but I guess not. hopefully it syncs w/ google cal. it doesn't mention

REMINDERS (LINK)
    I assume reminders will work w/ google calendar but it doesn't mention it. just says you can sync w/ ical. google cal has an ical feed so it should be able to import them. still, it would be nice if it worked 2-way and adding things to reminders also put them on the google cal.

AIR PRINT (LINK)
    it uses airprint which lets you print from your phone to your home printer. unfortunately most printers are not air print compatible & there is no software to make them that way. basically, if you want that functionality you'll have to buy a new printer.

AIR PLAY (LINK)
    lets you play whats on your phone on your TV. requires you to buy an airplay device like apple tv for it to work. many of the android phones simply have a mini HDMI port that lets you plug it into the TV with nothing more then a cable for that feature. UPDATE, you can say **** airplay and just use the digital AV adapter to HDMI into the TV.

VIDEO (LINK)
    videos of the new 1080p camcorder w/ image stabilization & low light sensor in action. oddly, there's no audio which seems well odd

CAMERA (LINK)
    here's info on the new camera which they say is awesome & vastly improved w/ lots of features that you previously had to download other apps for. :shrug:
    Global Posts
    41 Global Posts
    why don't you just get the 4S and then sell your 4S and get the Iphone 5 when it comes out? Who said Sprint though? APPLE never said anything. As usual, it's people like us that make the Iphone rumor lol
    apple did say sprint during their event. also, my sprint rep has already emailed me w/ iphone pricing. it's the same date & price as everyone else.
    the SIRI / voice command thing "sounds" great, but in reality i know id feel and look an utter moron speaking commands to my phone esp with anyone else in earshot, theyd think i escaped from somewhere padded.
    I am in a similar position as the OP. With the mostly underwhelming iphone 4s announcement, I am inclined to remain with my Pre- until hopefully an iphone 5 is released in the spring addressing more issues. The Pre- does what it NEEDS to do for me, but admittedly, its not as fun a phone anymore, the wind has been taken from the sale. Along the wait, if something unexpectedly happens with webOS that would be a nice surprise.

For anyone still holding onto a Pre- you really don't know what you're missing out on. I bought my Pre- 2 years ago, but back in March I turned it into a FrankenPre 2. The difference is incredible. About a month or 2 back, I turned on my Pre - just to play around with it, & it was unbearable. Even overclocking & patched up, a Pre- doesn't compare to a stock Pre 2. And though I have yet to use a Pre 3, I imagine the Pre 3 is even better to use than a Pre 2.

For anybody holding onto a Pre- that wants to stay on webOS, I say do yourselves a favor & FrankenPre 2 it; or switch carriers and grab a Pre 3 (if you are totally fixed on staying with webOS). Otherwise you are doing yourselves a dis-service; the Pre 2 & Pre 3 make for a much better webOS experience. And if switching carriers is not an option, the iPhone 4S & other android phones make for good options.

The Pre- is almost 2 1/2 years old, and it shows. Unless someone's financial situation doesn't permit them to buy a new smartphone now, I recommend moving on. I have a Franken Pre 2 & love it, and after I'm done with it, I will more than likely move on to the iPhone 4S.
    I have a pre 2 and I'm so disspointed this thing gets hot.... It's so annoying how people have their androids and I got my pre 2 and mine says 1X while theirs 3G.... Just like my old pre. I would have considered the Pre 3 to be the real webos phone but it dodnt come to SPRINT so oh well. I'm so jealous at the att pre 3. So now I need to make a decision of I should wait for the Iphone 5, get the Iphone 4S or galaxy s 2. I honestl don't recommend the pre 2. I Love webOS but I don't love the crappy hardware it came with on the pre 2 and pre-. I thought I was going to be hapy with my frankenpre but I still see the same thing. I hear the Pre 3 is what the PRE should have always been. Too bad it didn't come to SPRINT. I would say to SPRINT people to try the iphone4S. I don't know why, but it seems similar to webos. I'm considering the galaxy s 2 but I gotta wait and see.
    Global Posts
    71 Global Posts
    So, the pre finally has to go. I was going to go full-lock with the iPhone 5 and then apple decided to not announce anything interesting. Neither iPhone or Android gets me very excited but I have to choose one. Price for both is about the same since I'm out of contract. Help?

IPhone Pros/Cons
    - Camera is nice and fast
    - No 4G
    - New notification system fixes a big pet peeve of iOS
    - Glass back and front seem fragile
    - No keyboard

Android
    - Android. Never been thrilled using it.
    - 4G
    - Available with a keyboard, but 4G phones with keyboards are Zach Morris HUGE.
    - It's still Android.

So... who can make a logical argument for or against either to a person that REALLY likes the WebOS software but is finally fed up with the terrible and underpowered hardware.
    Same here. I hate android, but my pre minus has to go. This hardware is way out of date. And I hate seeing all these new apps. That I can only wish I could have. I am getting a pre 3 on a prepaid account, but then what?
    I have a pre 2 and I'm so disspointed this thing gets hot.... It's so annoying how people have their androids and I got my pre 2 and mine says 1X while theirs 3G.... Just like my old pre. I would have considered the Pre 3 to be the real webos phone but it dodnt come to SPRINT so oh well. I'm so jealous at the att pre 3. So now I need to make a decision of I should wait for the Iphone 5, get the Iphone 4S or galaxy s 2. I honestl don't recommend the pre 2. I Love webOS but I don't love the crappy hardware it came with on the pre 2 and pre-. I thought I was going to be hapy with my frankenpre but I still see the same thing. I hear the Pre 3 is what the PRE should have always been. Too bad it didn't come to SPRINT. I would say to SPRINT people to try the iphone4S. I don't know why, but it seems similar to webos. I'm considering the galaxy s 2 but I gotta wait and see.
    I think you have a faulty Pre 2, or live in an area with bad Sprint coverage. My Pre 2 never over heats, and it only says 1x when I have bad coverage. It is normally on 3g and displays the Ev icon. Hardware wise, the Pre 2 is way more solid than the Pre-.

I recommend the Franken Pre2 for anyone on Sprint, who wants to stay on webOS. Otherwise, iPhone or Android will have to do.
    If I were you I'd go with the 4S. I wouldn't touch Android even if the hardware was God's gift to hardware. iOS is miles better than Android, and hey they stole the notifications dev from Palm to work on notifications on iOS5
    Global Posts
    27 Global Posts
    Have you considered Windows Phone 7? You'd get the keyboard and 4G with a much more refreshing OS.

If the keyboard is a big deal, don't go with iPhone. But if you can learn to love a virtual keyboard (I bet you probably can), you should go with that. One feature you can add to the iPhone list, BTW, is killer battery life. My wife just replaced her Pre Plus with an iPhone 4 and she can't believe that she can get through a whole day without worrying about charging her phone. Actually, she seems to have a little PTSD about and starts freaking out when she gets down to 40% battery, lol.

Good luck with whatever you decide
    <threads merged>
    how so? the Epic Touch is $200*.

the cheapest iPhone 4S is $199* and the 64GB model is $399*...and that is ON CONTRACT.

* - subsidized price
    The Epic Touch can be had for even less than that. $149 from Amazon or Wirefly on a 2 yr upgrade.

FWIW, I finally made the leap from webOS ... the ET was too cool to pass up. Android is a little "utilitarian" compared to webOS, not nearly as elegant. But there's also plenty of things Android does that webOS didn't. A trade off ... but a trade off with a future and some killer hardware.
    ding ding ding ding

Can't stand them myself either. I was so looking forward to a revolutionary iphone 5 on Sprint. With just the iphone 4s and speculation that the iphone 5 will be out in the spring, I don't want to get locked in to a contract with the 4s and miss the 5 launch, if that is what happens. So, I hang with the Pre- for a bit.

Am I one of the crazy few who is actually excited about the iPhone 4S announcement. I mean, if Apple would have made a re-design with an iPhone 5, the guts of it would be exactly what's in the iPhone 4S. Dual core A5 processor (the same that's in the iPad 2), 8mp Camera, records HD 1080p video, it's a world phone, and the new Siri feature is sweet.

If I didn't have a Franken Pre 2, and still had my original Pre-, I'd be getting the 4S on Launch. Even with my Franken Pre 2, I still plan to upgrade to the 4S before the year is out (probably around the holidays). I think the blogosphere really got everyone's expectations up super high with these Apple rumors. Maybe if Steve Jobs would have delivered the Kool-Aid instead, most people's reactions would have been different
    Global Posts
    41 Global Posts
    Here's a new article comparing the Galaxy S2 & the iPhone 4S
    http://img.ibtimes.com/www/articles/...ingerbread.htm

and the iphone's screen size may be small compared to the galaxy but it's huge compared to the pre.
    http://www.precentral.net/palm-pre-s...ize-comparison

is there a franken pre 3 option? if there was I'd seriously consider it
    Global Posts
    41 Global Posts
    The Nexus Prime the new google phone that will run Ice Cream Sandwich is rumored to be coming to Sprint in Nov. I know nothing about it or why I might want it over one of these other 2.

zc1 likes this.
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast