Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Like Tree24Likes
    the list of features missing and then to say basic features missing... seriously?

no micro usb? basic feature we really need?
    no DLNA? this is a 'basic' feature on all other phones?
    NFC? boy i'm missing that when I go to all the stores at the mall
    FM Radio? Really?

Basic? wow.

Quote Originally Posted by milominderbinder View Post
    A week ago 40% of all smartphone owners planned to buy the iPhone 5. Now a TiPb Poll of 10,000+ shows Only 21% Of iPhone Fans Are Getting an iPhone 4S. Still the new iPhone 4S will sell millions. Many iPhone users buy the next iPhone no matter what.

iPhone 4S Improvements
    + Siri is much like Vlingo Voice Controls with the ability to respond to commands such as "Text Joe: Leaving now" or "“What does poison ivy look like?” Vlingo Examples
    + The iPhone 4S has a Faster Dual Core CPU but the iPhone 4 already was really responsive
    + Apple matched the 8MP on the rear camera already in the Galaxy S II, Bionic, Photon, Charge, etc.
    + iOS 5 will finally have Notifications.

These are nice improvements and help Apple catch up but everyone and I mean everyone thought that this was going to be the iPhone 5 that would at least match the Samsung Galaxy S II if not go ahead of it.

Features Still Missing From the iPhone 4S
    – Same 3.5" size. Only 9% Want a Screen Under 4" in the last poll.
    – No options. You can have any size as long as it's 3.5". No physical keyboard options.
    – No LED Notification
    – No microSD
    – No Sprint 4G
    – No Verizon LTE
    – No AT&T HSPA+ 21Mbps
    – 0.3MP VGA front camera
    – No DLNA
    – No Facebook Integration, no Facebook sync of photos, status updates, etc.
    – No Widgets
    – No Smart Dial - can't type a name in the dialer.
    – No FM Radio
    – No Near Field Communication (NFC) for payments, games, ID, etc.
    – No video chat over 3G (Facetime over WiFi only)
    – No application trials. You touch it, you bought it. No trials.
    – No Keyboard options, you just use the same one from 2007.
    – No visible file system available like Internalz shows.
    – No removable battery
    – No micro USB connector - only proprietary Apple cables.

The iPhone 4S will be a success. It just is lacking basic features.
    The iphone beats the some of the pres and Veer in terms of hardware. Software...not so much. The main drawback for the iphone is that IT DOESN'T HAVE FRIGGEN FLASH PLAYER! WHAT KIND OF SMARTPHONE FROM TODAY DOESN'T HAVE FLASH???
    Honestly, I've never missed any flash stuffs from my phone. I never missed it when i was using Pre Plus, and now iPhone 4. My friend who has Android, he disables the flash contents. I have no idea why people are so upset about the flash thing.
    See also this thread:
    http://forums.precentral.net/palm-pr...one-4-pre.html

As for basic features - that list is not accurate - that's not the "basic" featureset. Don't look at top of the line phones to form a basic features list.

However if it's a list of common features on Android vs. iPhone high end phones - then maybe it's rational.

The only one that makes me nuts is the removable storage. I like that as it removes differentiation in the product line by GB. A 16GB vs. 32GB phone should be a few bucks not wads of cash.
    vza33 likes this.
    and I believe he is comparing to android phones out there... cause otherwise i would be using the pre's and veers specs as argument to where he get 'basic' from when the palms are missing a lot of those. no point in comparing it to basically discontinued phones.

but my main point... apple brings out a phone once a year. android... there will be a new phone every 2-3 months with something new trying to one up each other. when iphone 5 ever does come out... it's gonna be one upped in a couple of months with android with some new feature. but it is really needed or going to be a 'standard' or basic?

so you just can't add stupid stuff on your list like DLNA and say the iphone 4s is missing 'basic' stuff. i mean... really?! DLNA?

samsung or htc comes out with a phone with a picoprojector and you gonna add that to your basic list or iphone haters gonna now use it and say they are so done because it doesnt have a picoprojector?

if rumor from BGR is correct, googles galaxy nexus is gonna have a 5mp camera... not basic... fail before it comes out!!

There use to be a loose definition of what a 'smartphone' was... cut/paste, etc. i dont think there is that anymore.

I dont say iphone4s is the best out there (I guess that's why they called it 4s. geez if they did slap a 5 with these specs, people would be realy trashing it eh?). but to say it doesnt have 'basic' features and list garbage. geez.

facebook integration?! application trials?! I could have continued but thought if those were his issues... then to me you're just nitpicking at this point. and that why it's cool there options out there for all.

Quote Originally Posted by Unclevanya View Post
    However if it's a list of common features on Android vs. iPhone high end phones - then maybe it's rational.
    When I look at the list of the "basic features" missing in iPhone 4S, I just see a bunch of features Android OEMs are shoehorning into their phones in order to be competitive with the iPhone. It's almost like differentiation through bloat.
    that's exactly what's happening... basically who's got the better swiss army knife with more features. i have the toe nail clippers on mine and you dont.

on the bgr article on the nexus... people are blasting the 5mp camera. it's not about the 100 new gadgets attached... its about having the best all around phone platform.

i admit... i would have liked a 4" screen on the iphone 4s. but i am gonna get it and have to wait 2 years and hopefully by that time... 5s? by that time LTE should be more common and worth it by then too.

Quote Originally Posted by nappy View Post
    When I look at the list of the "basic features" missing in iPhone 4S, I just see a bunch of features Android OEMs are shoehorning into their phones in order to be competitive with the iPhone. It's almost like differentiation through bloat.
    See, it's not that I don't appreciate specs or a good featureset arms race. I just think there's a point of diminishing returns; adding an FM tuner lets you check something off on a feature list but I can't imagine how that enhances the user experience. I can understand why people are railing on the 5MP camera on the Nexus Prime but if it's an exceptional 5MP shooter, who cares about a few extra megapixels?

That's why I'm not as upset about Apple staying with a 3.5" screen on the iPhone 4S. I'd like a 4" screen on my next iPhone too but I don't want to give up the 316ppi display in order to get one.
    Quote Originally Posted by donm527 View Post
    on the bgr article on the nexus... people are blasting the 5mp camera. it's not about the 100 new gadgets attached... its about having the best all around phone platform.
    Honestly, I'd rather have less megapixels with the sensor sizes that these phones are using. More isn't always better.

But anyway, I'm not sure what people expected out of the 4S. I don't really like the iOS platform so much, but really, what more could you want out of the hardware other than maybe LTE?

A lot of things were listed above, but really? FM radio? Who uses that anymore? A larger screen? Maybe for the geekier people, but I suspect most iPhone users are very happy with the size of the screen, and in fact wouldn't want it any larger. NFC? Google's trying its hardest, but that's still dead in the water for a year or two until the right infrastructure is in place.

Most of the hardware related things in that list are Apple design decisions, and if you think they're going to all of a sudden change their mind on them, you're nuts.

And as for the software related things, if they feel it's important enough, they'll eventually update it. Clearly these things aren't priorities to Apple.

That being said, iOS is a non-starter for me personally, and I'll be considering WP7 and Android instead, when it comes time to move on from my Pre relatively soon. But people who are disappointed just were expecting too much. This is Apple we're talking about.
    Quote Originally Posted by milominderbinder View Post
    A

Features Still Missing From the iPhone 4S
    – Same 3.5" size. Only 9% Want a Screen Under 4" in the last poll.
    – No options. You can have any size as long as it's 3.5". No physical keyboard options.
    – No LED Notification
    – No microSD
    – No Sprint 4G
    – No Verizon LTE
    – No AT&T HSPA+ 21Mbps
    – 0.3MP VGA front camera
    – No DLNA
    – No Facebook Integration, no Facebook sync of photos, status updates, etc.
    – No Widgets
    – No Smart Dial - can't type a name in the dialer.
    – No FM Radio
    – No Near Field Communication (NFC) for payments, games, ID, etc.
    – No video chat over 3G (Facetime over WiFi only)
    – No application trials. You touch it, you bought it. No trials.
    – No Keyboard options, you just use the same one from 2007.
    – No visible file system available like Internalz shows.
    – No removable battery
    – No micro USB connector - only proprietary Apple cables.

The iPhone 4S will be a success. It just is lacking basic features.
    i'll be honest. i've little interest in most of those features. Other then a 4 inch screen i don't care about these when i'm looking for a phone, any phone.

Quote Originally Posted by ShelaghDB View Post
    Well i am one that loves my iPhone 4 but having spoken to a few friends, the thoughts across the board are the same. ...anyone lower than the 4 is going to go android for the year until the 5 finally emerges.
    That bolded part is an interesting comment. I think it depends on the user but regarding the bold i've heard the opposite. That is if you have an iphone and it it's lower then a 4, like a 3g or 3gs, the 4Gs is a big leap forward and thus worth upgrading. But If you have a 4 then it's only a faster processor and a change in camera. That said thus upgrading isn't a big deal unless you take tons of pictures. Therefore, i think you'll see massive buying with people that already have iphones but they are older.

I thought about the idea of getting something else like android for a year but i don't see that as some different or better choice because if you buy a phone today and they launch a new phone in a year because of the new rules you still can't get a discounted upgrade. So your in the same spot regardless of buying apple, blackberry, android, wp7. If android is what that person wants they should probably get android. If they want an ios device they may be better off just getting that. Like i totally get it if that android phone offers some make or break feature that the 4gs doesn't like a big screen or something listed in milo's list but if not they'll be in the same crappy upgrade situation regardless of what brand they buy.
    You come at the king. You best not miss.
    First thing I do when I test a new phone is try to type. So I pick up a verizon iphone 4 and quickly figured out there is no easy way to delete a whole word.

Top bar does nothing (correct me if I am wrong) I use the top bar so much especially for bluetooth I can't imagine life without it.

Opened up youtube and played a video from the list. Couldn't figure out how to go back to the list. Hell, with my pre2 I can have a video playing in a card while I search for another one.

I see nothing that is useful to ME that I would gain from having a iphone and plenty I would lose. I don't care about apps and compass and things I don't need. I keep hearing the iphone is so easy to use, I think my pre2 is much easier. I think I'll pass.
    you double tap the word and it will be highlighted for you to delete with one press.

top bar... with ios 5 you use a swipe gesture from top going down and notification will appear.
    ios 5 wont be released until next week.

i dont think the problem is with the phone... people see what they want to see

Quote Originally Posted by laingman View Post
    First thing I do when I test a new phone is try to type. So I pick up a verizon iphone 4 and quickly figured out there is no easy way to delete a whole word.

Top bar does nothing (correct me if I am wrong) I use the top bar so much especially for bluetooth I can't imagine life without it.

Opened up youtube and played a video from the list. Couldn't figure out how to go back to the list. Hell, with my pre2 I can have a video playing in a card while I search for another one.

I see nothing that is useful to ME that I would gain from having a iphone and plenty I would lose. I don't care about apps and compass and things I don't need. I keep hearing the iphone is so easy to use, I think my pre2 is much easier. I think I'll pass.
    you double tap the word and it will be highlighted for you to delete with one press.

top bar... with ios 5 you use a swipe gesture from top going down and notification will appear.
    ios 5 wont be released until next week.

i dont think the problem is with the phone... people see what they want to see
    I know about about highlighting the word, but that is slooooow. Not rapid fire like webos or control+backspace on a pc. It fails the most basic test for me. Sorry not impressed.
    So my friend just got a iphone 3gs for free on contract. Can an Iphone expert tell me how to get back to the list view in youtube. We have been trying to figure it out.
    you can shift+backspace on web os... or just double tap to highlight in ios and just continue to type overwriting the highlighted word. that is slooooow?

hey, to each their own. guess the main issue is that you really need a keyboard.

I know about about highlighting the word, but that is slooooow. Not rapid fire like webos or control+backspace on a pc. It fails the most basic test for me. Sorry not impressed.
    Last edited by donm527; 10/06/2011 at 09:53 PM.
    huh?

so you have a menu list at the bottom...

you either choose 'featured' or 'most viewed' or 'search', etc...
    any of them... to get a list of vids. you choose a video to play

and when it's done, it shows you the menu list again at the bottom
    and you press whatever option you went to before to go back to the previous list...
    even goes back to the same point you scrolled down to find your previous vid.

sorry i dont use youtube so had to play with it to get that far... maybe took me 10 seconds?

is that what you're talking about?

So my friend just got a iphone 3gs for free on contract. Can an Iphone expert tell me how to get back to the list view in youtube. We have been trying to figure it out.
    huh?

so you have a menu list at the bottom...

you either choose 'featured' or 'most viewed' or 'search', etc...
    any of them... to get a list of vids. you choose a video to play

and when it's done, it shows you the menu list again at the bottom
    and you press whatever option you went to before to go back to the previous list...
    even goes back to the same point you scrolled down to find your previous vid.

sorry i dont use youtube so had to play with it to get that far... maybe took me 10 seconds?

is that what you're talking about?
    I was showing him how nice stereo bt headsets are, I launched youtube and searched for a bob dylan video and started to play it. I didnt want to play the whole video I just wanted to go back to the list where all the bob dylan videos were displayed, but couldnt figure out how to do that. Did not see a back button anywhere. Are you saying I should have waited til its done playing?
    you can shift+backspace on web os... or just double tap to highlight in ios and just continue to type overwriting the highlighted word. that is slooooow?

hey, to each their own. guess the main issue is that you really need a keyboard.
    Its not a keyboard issue, the virtual keyboard on the touchpad lets you shift+backspace too.
    you dont have to wait for the vid to complete...

to exit the vid, push the 'done' button on the top left corner of the screen
    (if you dont see the 'done' button it's because it's playing full screen
    and you need to tap on the screen to see the controls),

it then brings you to the 'more info' screen of the video you were just watching...

but at the bottom of the screen is the menu options and press 'search'...

press 'search' and it brings you back to your previous search with the list of bob dylan songs listed...
    even scrolled down to the one you last picked.

I was showing him how nice stereo bt headsets are, I launched youtube and searched for a bob dylan video and started to play it. I didnt want to play the whole video I just wanted to go back to the list where all the bob dylan videos were displayed, but couldnt figure out how to do that. Did not see a back button anywhere. Are you saying I should have waited til its done playing?
    Last edited by donm527; 10/06/2011 at 11:55 PM.
    ah. well, again... to each their own.
    the ios keyboard doesnt have that shortcut.
    i have no idea of ios 5 may include the shortcut.

you want webos on an iphone... not gonna happen.
    you go android and want webos... its not gonna happen.
    but maybe android keyboard/shortcuts are different enough that it will fit better 4 u.

imo... every phone will have their slight difference and you have to just get use to it.

or stick with your pre until it disintegrates... which i would guess wont be too long

playing with my phone, to mimic a shift-backspace compared to double tapping the word and typing over it... it doesnt seem slooooow as mentioned. if you get use to it i think it should be just as fast or even faster unless you are some major speed typist and tenths of a second are critical to you. my suggestion would be maybe slow down and you might not have to shift-backspace so often

ios doesnt work for everyone. good luck in your search for a new phone.

Its not a keyboard issue, the virtual keyboard on the touchpad lets you shift+backspace too.
    Last edited by donm527; 10/06/2011 at 11:42 PM.
    sinsin07 likes this.
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast