Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Like Tree24Likes
    <threads merged>
    pogeypre likes this.
  2. cgk
    Global Posts
    9,556 Global Posts
    Not sure why people are puzzled by why this is so incremental, their sales meant that they could string the life out of the 4 and have longer to get a 5 right. The 4S will sell by the bucket load.

Plus nobody sees the irony of people who defended palm/HP knocking out the same phone four times attacking another company for doing similar?

Sent from my ZTE-BLADE using Tapatalk
    I'm with CGK. They upgraded every part of a phone that matters and put it all in arguably still the best smartphone design on the market.
    I don't see why the same people who defend apple for Apple for knocking out the same phone four times attacked Palm/HP for doing something similar?

See what I did there?
  5. cgk
    Global Posts
    9,556 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Grabber5.0 View Post
    I don't see why the same people who defend apple for Apple for knocking out the same phone four times attacked Palm/HP for doing something similar?

See what I did there?
    One big difference - success means you can get away with it.

Sent from my ZTE-BLADE using Tapatalk
    I respect the improvements to the iDevice, but, honestly, its still not for me.

(very happy with my Pre 3 16 gb on T-Mobile!)
    "The more I learn, the more I realize just how little I really do know!" -Albert Einstein

Quote Originally Posted by kkhanmd View Post
    So I am not too impressed with iPhone 4S. Granted iOS is getting better and better every year, but I think if H/P has stuck with webOS, it would have made some in-roads into smartphone markets.

IPhone 4S basically looks like iP-4 with a minor upgrade. It is even heavier than iP-4. The biggest thing was a dual core processor, big deal they are dime a dozen now-a-days. The rest of the software upgrade could well have been on ip-4 as well. They are pulling a "Ruby" and Iphone 4 wont get "Siri"

How dull this new IP-4s is, even Sammy galaxy II is better, imagine what would nexum prime be like, better if Nexum prime ran webOS, but I am just dreaming here.

I have to disagree with with webOS making great market penetration in smartphones if HP stuck with it. I think webOS would have had a better chance gaining tablet marketshare, but not so much in smartphones (especially with the last lineup of webOS phones). The Veer was a flop; and even though it's free on contract, there aren't many people who would choose a free Veer over a now free iPhone 3gs (despite the 3gs being 2+ years old).

The Pre 3 is the best webOS phone, with a bigger screen, sharper display, 1.4Ghz processor, etc.., but even then, it is a hard sell over a $99 iPhone 4 or $199 dual-core iPhone 4S. There are many who prefer the Pre 3, but the masses will pick the iPhone 4/4S. I think webOS phones would have had a hard time competing; but things would have been a lot brighter on the tablet side of things.The fact that webOS has reached 1,000 TouchPad specific apps in a few months shows that. I imagine the number would have been much higher if it HP didn't drop the axe on things.
    Quote Originally Posted by Grabber5.0 View Post

See what I did there?
    I know you're just playing devil's advocate but this is really the second release of the iPhone 4 design -- a design that many people still think is the best in class. People like the iPhone design. The Pre design was...well, towards the end, even hardcore webOS users were begging for a new design to the point where they started making their own mockups.
    Quote Originally Posted by nappy View Post
    I know you're just playing devil's advocate but this is really the second release of the iPhone 4 design
    Arguably the third. The antennas and internals had to be redesigned for the CDMA one.

I'm not convinced that this Siri thing is actually going to be used ever, to be honest. I mean it's a neat concept, but I've been able to dictate to my PC for years now and I don't do that either.

I honestly am not sure people feel comfortable talking to computers, still. I mean the idea of it is cool to people, but when it comes to sitting and talking to your device to tell it what to do, I think it still feels weird to many. If anyone has any chance of making it work, it's Apple though.
    Press Release:

Apple Launches iPhone 4S, iOS 5 & iCloud
    iPhone 4S Features Dual-Core A5 Chip, All New Camera, Full 1080p HD Video Recording & Introduces Siri

CUPERTINO, California-October 4, 2011-Apple® today announced iPhone® 4S, the most amazing iPhone yet, packed with incredible new features including Apple's dual-core A5 chip for blazing fast performance and stunning graphics; an all new camera with advanced optics; full 1080p HD resolution video recording; and Siri™, an intelligent assistant that helps you get things done just by asking. With the launch of iPhone 4S also comes the launch of iOS 5, the world's most advanced mobile operating system with over 200 new features; and iCloud®, a breakthrough set of free cloud services that work with your iPhone, iPad®, iPod touch®, Mac® or PC to automatically and wirelessly store your content in iCloud and push it to all your devices.

"iPhone 4S plus iOS 5 plus iCloud is a breakthrough combination that makes the iPhone 4S the best iPhone ever," said Philip Schiller, Apple's senior vice president of Worldwide Product Marketing. "While our competitors try to imitate iPhone with a checklist of features, only iPhone can deliver these breakthrough innovations that work seamlessly together."

iPhone 4S comes with iOS 5, the world's most advanced mobile operating system, which includes over 200 new features including Notification Center, an innovative way to easily view and manage notifications in one place without interruption and iMessage™, a new messaging service that lets you easily send text messages, photos and videos between all iOS 5 users. iOS 5 will also be available as a free software update for iPhone 4 and iPhone 3GS customers allowing them to experience these amazing new features.*

iPhone 4S also introduces Siri, an intelligent assistant that helps you get things done just by asking. Siri understands context allowing you to speak naturally when you ask it questions, for example, if you ask "Will I need an umbrella this weekend?" it understands you are looking for a weather forecast. Siri is also smart about using the personal information you allow it to access, for example, if you tell Siri "Remind me to call Mom when I get home" it can find "Mom" in your address book, or ask Siri "What's the traffic like around here?" and it can figure out where "here" is based on your current location. Siri helps you make calls, send text messages or email, schedule meetings and reminders, make notes, search the Internet, find local businesses, get directions and more. You can also get answers, find facts and even perform complex calculations just by asking.

iCloud is a breakthrough set of free cloud services, including iTunes® in the Cloud, Photo Stream and Documents in the Cloud, that work seamlessly with your iPhone, iPad, iPod touch, Mac or PC to automatically and wirelessly store your content in iCloud and push it to all your devices. When content changes on one device, all your other devices are updated automatically and wirelessly.

iPhone 4S includes an all new camera with the most advanced optics of any phone. The 8 megapixel sensor has 60 percent more pixels so you can take amazing high quality photos with more detail than ever. iPhone 4S includes a new custom lens, a larger f/2.4 aperture and an advanced hybrid IR filter that produce sharper, brighter and more accurate images. The Apple-designed image signal processor in the A5 dual-core chip is built for performance, and coupled with the features built into iOS 5, makes the camera one of the fastest on any phone. With iPhone 4S, the Camera app launches much faster and the shot to shot capability is twice as fast, so you'll never miss another shot.

New features in the Camera and Photos apps give you instant access to the camera right from the lock screen, and you can also use the volume-up button to quickly snap a photo. Optional grid lines help line up your shot and a simple tap locks focus and exposure on one subject; and the new Photos app lets you crop, rotate, enhance and remove red-eye, and organize your photos into albums right on your device to share them on the go. New iOS 5 features include built-in Twitter integration and iMessage, so you can instantly share your photos via Twitter directly from the Photos app and send photos via iMessage to individuals or groups. And with iCloud's innovative new Photo Stream service, a photo you take on your iPhone is sent to iCloud and automatically pushed to your iPad, iPod touch, Mac or PC. You can even view your Photo Stream album on your Apple TV®.

iPhone 4S can also now record video in full 1080p HD resolution and with the new video image stabilization feature, you can take richer, smoother videos. Other iPhone 4S video camera improvements include increased sensitivity, sharpness and an increased ability to capture video in low light conditions. With the new iMessage service in iOS 5, you can now instantly share videos with family and friends.

iPhone 4S has the same beautifully thin glass and stainless steel design that millions of customers around the world love, while being completely redesigned on the inside. Apple's dual-core A5 chip delivers up to twice the processing power and up to seven times faster graphics than iPhone 4, all while maintaining incredible battery life-now up to 8 hours of 3G talk time.

Improving on the innovative stainless steel external, dual-antenna design of iPhone 4, iPhone 4S is the first phone to intelligently switch between two antennas to send and receive. iPhone 4S now supports twice the download speed with HSDPA of up to 14.4 Mbps and iPhone 4S is a world phone, so both CDMA and GSM customers can now roam internationally on GSM networks.**

Pricing & Availability
    iPhone 4S comes in either black or white and will be available in the US for a suggested retail price of $199 (US) for the 16GB model and $299 (US) for the 32GB model and $399 (US) for the new 64GB model.*** iPhone 4S will be available from the Apple Online Store, Apple's retail stores and through AT&T, Sprint, Verizon Wireless and select Apple Authorized Resellers. iPhone 4S will be available in the US, Australia, Canada, France, Germany, Japan and the UK on Friday, October 14 and customers can pre-order their iPhone 4S beginning Friday, October 7. iPhone 4 will also be available for just $99 (US) and iPhone 3GS will be available for free with a two year contract. Siri will be available in beta on iPhone 4S in English (localized for US, UK and Australia), French and German. iOS 5 software will be available on October 12 as a free software update via iTunes 10.5 for iPhone, iPad and iPod touch customers.

iPhone 4S will roll out worldwide to 22 more countries by the end of October including Austria, Belgium, Czech Republic, Denmark, Estonia, Finland, Hungary, Ireland, Italy, Latvia, Liechtenstein, Lithuania, Luxembourg, Mexico, Netherlands, Norway, Singapore, Slovakia, Slovenia, Spain, Sweden and Switzerland.

*Some features may not be available on all products.

**Carrier roaming policies apply. HSDPA availability and network speeds are dependent on carrier networks.

***Qualified customers only. Requires a new two year rate plan, sold separately.
    Quote Originally Posted by nappy View Post
    I know you're just playing devil's advocate but this is really the second release of the iPhone 4 design -- a design that many people still think is the best in class. People like the iPhone design. The Pre design was...well, towards the end, even hardcore webOS users were begging for a new design to the point where they started making their own mockups.
    I don't think there is a better looking phone on the market (the BB 9900 looks nice though). Glass may be fragile but it looks a lot nicer than black plastic.
    Quote Originally Posted by jhoff80 View Post
    Arguably the third. The antennas and internals had to be redesigned for the CDMA one.

I'm not convinced that this Siri thing is actually going to be used ever, to be honest. I mean it's a neat concept, but I've been able to dictate to my PC for years now and I don't do that either.

I honestly am not sure people feel comfortable talking to computers, still. I mean the idea of it is cool to people, but when it comes to sitting and talking to your device to tell it what to do, I think it still feels weird to many. If anyone has any chance of making it work, it's Apple though.
    You also don't drive with your PC; I see all kinds of advantages to Siri: sending a quick text to someone while driving purely hands free; getting measurement conversions in the kitchen while cooking without having to dirty up your phone; or just being plain lazy.

It's all in the type of usage. Writing an essay on your computer by dictation isn't exactly ideal in my book, but getting directions, texting a friend, or doing just about anything on my phone, hands free safely while driving, is brilliant in my book.
    i was ditching my pre for an iphone no matter what they announced. i'll say that up front. for several reasons: ipod is dieing, i prefer a slab, i prefer apps, i like ios. Oh and i will get an iphone 4s in some form despite what i'm about to say.

All that being said i was very disappointed. I wanted a 4 inch screen and very much liked the curved back mockups. That said the lack of a 4 inch screen is not enough to make me get to not want a iphone. I even said if they released the exact same phone as an iphone 4 on sprint i'd take one in a heartbeat. So in that context, again, i can live with it. But i was very very disappointed. One reason is with every carrier getting rid of yearly upgrades whatever i get im likely stuck with. If they release an iphone 5 next june there's no chance i'd be getting it. so it's disappointing to think i'll be stuck with something i dont' want. Because that's precisely how i've felt for probably one and a half years of my more then 2 years with my pre minus and i don't want anything close to that feeling again. 2 years of buyers remorse sucks. I also waited since june of last year so it's been a long time coming. The other thing is i really wanted 64 GBs and i got it but at 200 bucks more and i have to ask is it worth it to pay more for the space which i could fill twice over on music alone, if down the line i anticipate replacing it with a 4 inch iphone that i really want. I guess there's the chance of selling it. But i'm low on funds at the moment anyways so an extra $200 is a strain. I may just hold off and get nothing for a month when i have extra cash. The other big disappointment was the realization when heard them going over the specs that the biggest hardware changes where, A5 chip, more memory for 64 gbs, and an updated camera. Nothing else really. The A5 was ready in feb with the ipad 2. Memory has been around for ages. They need only to place an order. And sony leaked the camera in April so they clearly already knew the direction of the camera components Did Sony CEO leak plans for iPhone 5 camera? | Crave - CNET. Thus they spent 15 months total and and extra three months from normal to add three components that were likely available very early in the year. Seems like an utter waste of time to me. Seems like stringing people along. Maybe they needed the time to polish ios 5. Maybe they had issues with the internal changes to accommodate the camera. i can speculate more, like screen issues, chip delays but that's all blind speculation. I was also disappointed as apple management is held in high esteem and i question anyone that actually thought this release wouldn't be met with tons of disappointment by the public given the huge delay. And if they didn't get it's a disappointment they that reflects on their forsight and doesn't reflect well on future plans for apple under Cook. That said it justifies my nerves as an Apple investor and doesn't make me mad i dump my stock a few weeks back thinking they might disappoint.

All that disappointment being said the bottom line is it's still a massive step up for me from a pre minus that i probably never should have bought if i'm being honest. Different strokes for different folks i guess. But an iphone ecosystem is more in line with whats important to me as a user. If they'd announce the just what they did with a 4 inch screen i'd have basically no complaints. it would have been almost exactly what i want and i'd have been satisfied. And thus at some point, next week or next month, it will be my next phone

oh and for the record this is me criticizing apple for releasing a very similar phone. Just like i criticize Palm and HP for doing the same thing. I think both are wrong to do it. I wouldn't have done it.The distinction though that i would draw is Apple's first release was massively successful so they offered, though disappointing to me, more of a very successful product. Palm and HP announced a very similar spec bumped phone too but the original was not a success so. One rebooted a successful phone, the other rebooted a failed phone. I don't like either move but Apples makes more sense then Palms ever did.
    You come at the king. You best not miss.
    I wouldn't want an iphone if it was free. Not as long as my Pre2 keeps working anyway.
    Quote Originally Posted by barkerja View Post
    You also don't drive with your PC; I see all kinds of advantages to Siri: sending a quick text to someone while driving purely hands free; getting measurement conversions in the kitchen while cooking without having to dirty up your phone; or just being plain lazy.

It's all in the type of usage. Writing an essay on your computer by dictation isn't exactly ideal in my book, but getting directions, texting a friend, or doing just about anything on my phone, hands free safely while driving, is brilliant in my book.
    That's definitely true that it's different usage. I just was using that as an example of people not feeling comfortable talking to a computer like that.

I could be completely off-base on it, I just don't think it'll be a feature that will get used all that much, even though it is pretty amazing technologically.

As for people saying that the components have been available for a long time, keep in mind that the tsunami in Japan might have affected sourcing those components in the quantities that Apple needs.
    Quote Originally Posted by laingman View Post
    I wouldn't want an iphone if it was free. Not as long as my Pre2 keeps working anyway.
    ya know i know a couple of people that feel exactly the same about the Pre. to each his own i guess.
    Quote Originally Posted by jhoff80 View Post
    I could be completely off-base on it, I just don't think it'll be a feature that will get used all that much, even though it is pretty amazing technologically.
    i don't have a full grasp of what siri can do but i've used an Evo and i found voice commands very useful in several situations. One big one was when i was lost. you just turn it it on and say "Navigate to Costco" and it will automatically launch the navigation app and find the costco and plot the route, and say "turn left on Main street." On my Pre i'd have to pull over the car, and google the address or search through the navigation app and manually enter the information into the navigation app. Compared to manual entry clicking an icon and speaking is just to easy. My brother used voice commands to quickly dictate texts too. There were other uses but i found it a very useful thing. i can't say i'd use it all the time but there are several features on my phone i never use.
    yes i like the idea of the navigation being tied to it in siri compared to previous gen... i can see many times on the road where you want to bring up maps to find something real quick and would be so much faster, safer... convenient to be able to do the search by voice and request the directions real fast.

if it really does recognize voice and words accurately, quick responses to texts or emails or setting up quick reminders by voice... especially in car again... will be good. save a lot of steps to open the app, choose contact, type (one handed when your not suppose to) and send.

Siri Voice Recognition Arrives On the iPhone 4S - Mac Rumors

Quote Originally Posted by SnotBoogie View Post
    i don't have a full grasp of what siri can do but i've used an Evo and i found voice commands very useful in several situations. One big one was when i was lost. you just turn it it on and say "Navigate to Costco" and it will automatically launch the navigation app and find the costco and plot the route, and say "turn left on Main street." On my Pre i'd have to pull over the car, and google the address or search through the navigation app and manually enter the information into the navigation app. Compared to manual entry clicking an icon and speaking is just to easy. My brother used voice commands to quickly dictate texts too. There were other uses but i found it a very useful thing. i can't say i'd use it all the time but there are several features on my phone i never use.
    Well i am one that loves my iPhone 4 but having spoken to a few friends, the thoughts across the board are the same. Since this new one is not revolutionary but evolutionary anyone lower than the 4 is going to go android for the year until the 5 finally emerges.

The voice thingy seems cool and the resolution of the photos is really nice but not enough for me to bother upgrading. My 4 is in perfect condition as I keep it in an Otter Defender case so it is good enough for another year at least....... ;-)

That said, I dont get all of the fighting back and forth as to whose got the better phone, android or iphone.
    Its just whatever suits you at that time, the best.

I never used Palm but went from a few years of Blackberrys to the iPhone 4 now being my 3rd iphone in a row + I think I will stick with it a few more years.
    BUT i do love my HP TP ;-)
    A week ago 40% of all smartphone owners planned to buy the iPhone 5. Now a TiPb Poll of 10,000+ shows Only 21% Of iPhone Fans Are Getting an iPhone 4S. Still the new iPhone 4S will sell millions. Many iPhone users buy the next iPhone no matter what.

iPhone 4S Improvements
    + Siri is much like Vlingo Voice Controls with the ability to respond to commands such as "Text Joe: Leaving now" or "“What does poison ivy look like?” Vlingo Examples
    + The iPhone 4S has a Faster Dual Core CPU but the iPhone 4 already was really responsive
    + Apple matched the 8MP on the rear camera already in the Galaxy S II, Bionic, Photon, Charge, etc.
    + iOS 5 will finally have Notifications.

These are nice improvements and help Apple catch up but everyone and I mean everyone thought that this was going to be the iPhone 5 that would at least match the Samsung Galaxy S II if not go ahead of it.

Features Still Missing From the iPhone 4S
    Same 3.5" size. Only 9% Want a Screen Under 4" in the last poll.
    No options. You can have any size as long as it's 3.5". No physical keyboard options.
    No LED Notification
    No microSD
    No Sprint 4G
    No Verizon LTE
    No AT&T HSPA+ 21Mbps
    0.3MP VGA front camera
    No DLNA
    No Facebook Integration, no Facebook sync of photos, status updates, etc.
    No Widgets
    No Smart Dial - can't type a name in the dialer.
    No FM Radio
    No Near Field Communication (NFC) for payments, games, ID, etc.
    No video chat over 3G (Facetime over WiFi only)
    No application trials. You touch it, you bought it. No trials.
    No Keyboard options, you just use the same one from 2007.
    No visible file system available like Internalz shows.
    No removable battery
    No micro USB connector - only proprietary Apple cables.

The iPhone 4S will be a success. It just is lacking basic features.
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast