Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Like Tree24Likes
    Yeah its like the old west at high noon'..... Dead..
    Global Posts
    565 Global Posts
    Reminded me a lot of the various WebOS announcements after the first one...

"15 months and all you did was.....that?"

Seriously, they went longer than normal with the upgrade cycle to essentially trot out a "new" processor (that was already months old) and a new camera. The software is nice but almost nothing from iOS5 was "new" to this announcement save for SIRI and even that's not really "new".

Just a horrible failure of an announcement from Apple today.
    iPhone 4S officially announced: lands October 14th starting at $199 in sizes up to 64GB, coming to Sprint -- Engadget

Since there will be no more HP devices to replace my Sprint Pre, the iPhone 4S may be a good option.
    I believe it will be a good Photon alternative since it is a world phone. I might get one.
    Google will be making ice cream sandwiches out of iPhone 4s.
    Your are forgetting the new celluar radio, and the 64GB option. The old iPhone 4 killed the WebOS devices in terms of performance, camera quality etc. Palm/HP couldn't even release a proper GSM World phone, the iPhone is a CDMA & GSM world phone.
    Or you could just get a Galaxy S2.
    i dont know... i think they took longer because i do feel the japan earthquake probably did create a question of supply... in current products that they were already having problems keeping up with on top of new development.

were they planning to do a 4gs all along regardless of the earthquake? maybe.

i dont think many will upgrade from their 4s... it's still a solid phone.
    most are probably still in there 2 year contract so they'll wait for 5.

Quote Originally Posted by Zyphlin View Post
    Reminded me a lot of the various WebOS announcements after the first one...

"15 months and all you did was.....that?"

Seriously, they went longer than normal with the upgrade cycle to essentially trot out a "new" processor (that was already months old) and a new camera. The software is nice but almost nothing from iOS5 was "new" to this announcement save for SIRI and even that's not really "new".

Just a horrible failure of an announcement from Apple today.
    <threads merged>
    yeah the specs look pretty close... guess it comes down to os preference. devil in the details.

Quote Originally Posted by Orion Antares View Post
    Or you could just get a Galaxy S2.
    What I really want to know is something nobody is addressing. Yes, it's one phone for all carriers, but how are they going to handle ESNs for Sprint/ VZW? I mean, it seems highly unlikely to me that either will change their policy of only activating phones purchased for their own network. That means that you can't just go to Apple and take a phone for any carrier, as the ESN still would have to be designated for the carrier even if it's literally the exact phone.

I mean, I'm hoping for a change. It would be amazing if (hypothetically, because I'll probably go to Android instead) I could buy a Sprint iPhone 4S and then switch to Verizon later on, or buy an AT&T iPhone 4S and put it on either CDMA carrier. But nobody has addressed any changes to the whole ESN scheme that would make this possible, meaning it still is a pipe dream.
    Quote Originally Posted by tinnedfood View Post
    Let's be honest. The iPhone 3GS is now free on AT&T on contract. So, that meant it would have been competing with the Veer. It doesn't matter if it's a two year old phone, the market HP was aiming the Veer at would pick the iPhone everytime just to have an iPhone. I guess maybe it's good they pulled the plug on that.... (although I love it and want one so bad... the Veer, not the iPhone) That free iPhone 3GS is going to get a LOT of people interested!
    I love my veer because it is so small.
    Global Posts
    43 Global Posts
    sorry for the silly question, but I've never pre-ordered a phone, and never had an iphone. So how does pre-order work?
  14.    #34  
    Quote Originally Posted by cujaflow View Post
    sorry for the silly question, but I've never pre-ordered a phone, and never had an iphone. So how does pre-order work?
    You pay, and they ship it to arrive on the 14th.
    If you like my Themes, please donate! Thanks!

http://wiseguyandbeyond.blogspot.com

http://wiseguyandbeyond.blogspot.com
    My Pre was the best PHONE I ever had, iphone was better at being a media consumption device with netflix, hulu Plus etc. Pre just handled my contacts, my calendar and my instant messaging so much better that I still use it. I have, since, bought a Pre Plus, Veer and now a Pre 3 so I am still in love with that OS. I hope someone buys it and does something good with it.

I got my Epic 4G in January and hated it for months. Eventually I got used to it after basically replacing every default app. I am now on an EVo 3D and I like it a lot.

In my opinion between iphone and its completley closed system and android which is completley open (heck you can replace the dialer if you want to) WebOS hit just the right note. It has elegance in the way it handles things. Everything just works (like iOS) and it allows homebrew extensions that make life easier. Homebrew allows you to customize the device to work the way you want it like android but it is an option and not thrown at your face everytime you have an issue.

On my iphone it was a pain to keep up with Apple and the jail breaker community. On the other hand on my Android things are just a bit too open. Different manufacturers are allowed to make their own apps and they make the devices very different from each other. The change in menu key's place on the device drives me nuts. Also, Android is still a work in progress and needs a consistent approach. i am anxiously awaiting ICS so that I can see what Mathia has brought to the table.
    Quote Originally Posted by cujaflow View Post
    You order either online or at the store and pay upfront. The device is shipped to you or you are asked to pick it up on the day it is offered for sale. Pre-orders allow carriers to gauge interest in a device so that they can order more in advance.
    Quote Originally Posted by jhoff80 View Post
    What I really want to know is something nobody is addressing. Yes, it's one phone for all carriers, but how are they going to handle ESNs for Sprint/ VZW? I mean, it seems highly unlikely to me that either will change their policy of only activating phones purchased for their own network. That means that you can't just go to Apple and take a phone for any carrier, as the ESN still would have to be designated for the carrier even if it's literally the exact phone.

I mean, I'm hoping for a change. It would be amazing if (hypothetically, because I'll probably go to Android instead) I could buy a Sprint iPhone 4S and then switch to Verizon later on, or buy an AT&T iPhone 4S and put it on either CDMA carrier. But nobody has addressed any changes to the whole ESN scheme that would make this possible, meaning it still is a pipe dream.
    I believe in the past Verizon has added ESN for phones that they sold (not the one the customer brought with them but a similar one) or were verified to work on their network. I am hoping they will do that for this phone as well.
    Sprint screwed up their policies and customers for this. Booooo
    icloud on the iphone 4S is a webos copycat. Video

webos devices seamlessly connected = icloud
    So I am not too impressed with iPhone 4S. Granted iOS is getting better and better every year, but I think if H/P has stuck with webOS, it would have made some in-roads into smartphone markets.

IPhone 4S basically looks like iP-4 with a minor upgrade. It is even heavier than iP-4. The biggest thing was a dual core processor, big deal they are dime a dozen now-a-days. The rest of the software upgrade could well have been on ip-4 as well. They are pulling a "Ruby" and Iphone 4 wont get "Siri"

How dull this new IP-4s is, even Sammy galaxy II is better, imagine what would nexum prime be like, better if Nexum prime ran webOS, but I am just dreaming here.
    If this helped you hit thanks.
    vza33 likes this.
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast