1.    #1  
    Well Jay, our local news hound, is making the switch to an Android phone.

http://forums.precentral.net/other-h...a-android.html

I am making the same switch. I currently have a Sprint Pre that is falling apart. HP/Palm and Sprint have abandoned the Pre. Sprint is not carrying any newer webOS devices at all. With the recent news about HP getting out of the hardware business and no new hardware partners, I don't think webOS is going to return to Sprint anytime soon. My contract for the Pre is up with Sprint on the 1st of October and, because I have 3 other smartphones with them, I plan on keeping their service (Verizon and AT&T are too darn expensive and AT&T doesn't work in my rural area).

Moving from webOS to Android is going to be painful for me. I have an Android tablet. My kids have had Android phones as recently as 3 months ago. I hate the default UI. It is extremely ugly compared to the competition. I also do not like the method for switching between running apps on Android (or iOS). It is not very intuitive and seems outdated compared to webOS. Let's face it, webOS is the easiest OS to use for multi-tasking.

I know that the Android UI will not be fixed for some time soon, so it is not even a focus for me on this thread. I have narrowed my choice down to two phones, the Evo 3D and Samsung Epic 4G Touch. I will be out this weekend testing and evaluating these phones. In order to make my transition to Android smoother, I need to know if there is an app or a hack for the following:

Email. I need to be able to view all of my email, to include my Gmail in one program. So far in Android I can view all other email accounts in one app, but Gmail has to be viewed in another. I don't totally understand why they would do that (or even care). I need a unified inbox for all of my email along with a unified notification.

Calendar. I need to be able to view all of my calendars and my family's calendars in one app. I would like to receive notifications for their appointments also. Synergy allows me to do that on webOS and I need similar capabilities on Android.

Notifications. Is there a hack that will allow me to sift through and dismiss like notifications one at a time?

Free Tethering. I should not have to pay extra for using my phone's Internet connection with my tablet. I use my home Internet for all the heavy downloading and don't feel a need to pay extra for viewing stuff on a larger screen that I would normally view on my phone for free. Bottom line paid tethering is a rip-off if you don't download vast amounts of data.

Not necessary, but would like to have:

Synergy like contact updating. I love the fact that if any of my contacts change their photos in Facebook or other social media sites, their contact picture gets updated to match the change. My son is in college now, away from home. Every I call him or he calls me, if he updated his Facebook wall photo, his contact photo changes to that wall photo. It's nothing major but it is one more way for me to see what is going on in his life and I like it.

Intelligent Gestures. I would love the ability to use a forward swipe or back swipe in apps.

It's hard to explain to Android (or iOS) folks why the vast majority of us adore webOS. It's not really about the apps (because we don't have as much). It's not about the popularity (everyone wants to back a winner). To me it is about balancing my life. WebOS does that for me now. The vast majority of those duties will fall on my TouchPad once my Pre is gone. I just don't want to be like half of the guys in my office. I don't want to hate my Android cell phone everyday because it doesn't do what I need or what the commercials promise. If there is truly an app for everything on Android, it should be able to handle the tasks I listed above. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
    k4ever... All of your questions can be answered over on our sister site AndroidCentral.

http://forums.androidcentral.com/sea...archid=2707566
    Based on my experience with a Samsung Galaxy S:

Email: while the GMail app is purely for GMail, I don't think that there is anything to prevent you adding your GMail account as an IMAP account to the main email app.

Calendar: The Calendar app already shows all calendars from the accounts set up on the phone. The standard way to display your family's calendars as well would be to share them with your Google account so that they are also in your Google calendars. I've not used other calendar apps so can't advise what's available if you don't want to go down this route.

Notifications: I don't think so. I've seen other people request this, though for me it's not really an issue leaving them there until I'm ready to clear them all in one go.

Free Tethering: my understanding was that this was built into the current versions of Android, and is certainly free on my unlocked Samsung. If it's restricted that sounds like something the carrier would be imposing.

Synergy like contact updating: this works the same way on my Samsung, with photos, etc., on contacts updating automatically when changed in Facebook or other linked accounts. Not sure whether that's a standard feature or Samsung-specific.

Intelligent gestures: I can't see an app that adds swipe forward/backward between apps, but there are a number of apps that add gesture support. Gesture Launcher looks as if it might suit you, as you can assign gestures to particular apps and gesture to go straight to them.

Spyke
    Notifications on my droid 3 can be cleared individually. I kind of thought all the newer, 2.3 based skins offer this.

There are a lot of calander apps, a number of them I've tried seemed to have no problem syncing from different sources.

As for gestures, there are a lot of options. I would go to androidcentral and read the WebOS Users stickies that cover a lot of this.

[QUOTE=k4ever;3184387]To me it is about balancing my life. [QUOTE]

Honestly though. If you rely on a phone to give you that, you porbably shouldn't switch phones.

-Suntan
    Quote Originally Posted by Suntan View Post
    Notifications on my droid 3 can be cleared individually. I kind of thought all the newer, 2.3 based skins offer this.
    On my Galaxy I can clear notifications individually by tapping on them to take me to the source app, but I assumed k4ever wanted to be able to clear them individually from the notification list itself, the way you can in webOS by swiping them away.

On my Galaxy, I can only clear them while in the notification list by clicking on the Clear button to remove them all. Is there a way to do them individually on the Droid?

Spyke
    HTC and Samsung native email app supports all types of email accounts (IMAP, Pop, and Exchange). You have to tie one gmail account in the gmail app to get Android Market access. You don't have to setup auto sync with that account in gmail.

I have the HTC Incredible and the Samsung Galaxy Tab 7.0. This is what I did.

1. I created a new Google email account (ending in "acct") that I only use to activate my Android devices with. This way all my devices can share all my purchased apps - buy once and run on all android devices.
    2. Once the device is activated, turn off auto syncing.
    3. Setup all my email accounts (gmail - including the device account, exchange, hotmail) in the manufacturer's mail app with auto syncing.
    4. Setup all IMAP accounts to push.

Edit: Althrough you have all your devices tied to one account, you don't have to have the all purchased apps on all devices. On your device, in the Market, you will see all apps purchased but not installed. You can pick and choise what apps to install. If you access the Android Market from the web, you can manage all your devices at once (if all devices are tied to the same account).
    Last edited by slbailey1; 09/29/2011 at 06:52 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by HelloNNNewman View Post
    k4ever... All of your questions can be answered over on our sister site AndroidCentral.

http://forums.androidcentral.com/sea...archid=2707566
    FYI your search link says, "Sorry no matches..."
    The default email app on my HTC Incredible 2 allows all of my accounts to be in one app it also allows you to view all in boxes in one string just like on my pre plus. I also have an app called wave launcher which will give you a webOS style wave bar. Another thing that may help you is that you can setup your phones search button to only look at what you want so when I press my search button and start typing it will give me app results, contacts and so on.

It took me a little time to get comfortable but now it is second nature.
  9.    #9  
    All, thanks for your posts and your support. I stopped by my local Sprint Store and played with a Epic 4G Touch. Let me say this, that is one hell of a phone! Bravo, Samsung, bravo! I can see why the Galaxy S II line is so popular. Samsung did such a good job of skinning Android, I didn't even recognize the ugliness of the UI. The hardware was extremely beautiful. The screen was big and vibrant. My Pre looked like a newborn next to it. The phone was ultra thin which made the Pre look like a porker.

It was quick! Boot up was lightening fast. The floor model had locked up (bad sign) sometime before I got there and I had to reboot it. It shutdown and reboot at least 3 times faster than my Pre takes just to boot.

I played with it for at least a 1/2 an hour. Everything on it was smooth. That being said, after 5 minutes I was wishing webOS was on it instead of Android. I couldn't help but try to use gestures on it. I had to stop myself too many times. Some of the things I dislike about Android vs webOS popped up quickly. I opened some weird app, I can't remember the name but it had a blue swirly icon, by mistake. I hit the home screen button to return to home. Of course the app was still running because it was never closed. Worst of all it placed it's icon in the notification area so I couldn't just ignore it. Luckily Samsung included a built in task manager with the UI enhancements (please Android purest don't faint!). I was able to tell it to exit in the task manager. While I was in the task manager I saw at least 5 other programs I had opened and "exited" in there. They were taken up memory and just out of reflex I exited them also. I hate the multi-tasking on everything but webOS.

I noticed that the browser was taken up 90MB of memory. This would explain it opening so fast. I did a browser test between my patched and over clocked Pre (1GHz). I was shocked that my Pre opened almost all of the webpages I tested faster than the default browser on the Epic 4G Touch. This was on Sprint's 3G network since 4G is not available in my area. Before anyone says I am full of it I was just as shocked as you are about it. It won't keep me from getting the phone, but it was an eye opener given the arguments we have had here in the past about browser speed. A few other things like the launcher and phone apps on the Pre opened just as fast if not faster than the equivalent apps on the Epic. WebOS 1.4.5 held its on against the beast and made me a little proud of it. There were still some things that the Epic did smoother.

All of this has got me thinking. I have an idea that I would like to present to HP and the webOS community. It is late were I am right now, so I won't post it tonight, but I will definitely present my idea tomorrow in another thread and place a link here.

Right now I probably won't get the Epic 4G Touch until Thanksgiving when the price is supposed to go down. The Sprint reps told me that there is no rush on renewing my contract and I can go month to month at the same rate until I'm ready to get a new phone. Please continue to post your responses to my original post and any other ideas you think will smooth over the transition for us webOS die hards. Thanks in advance!

-- Sent from my HP TouchPad using Communities
  10.    #10  
    Guys, I could not sleep on this. Here is my proposal. Please feel free to shoot holes in it:

http://forums.precentral.net/webos-d...ml#post3185456
  11. cgk
    Global Posts
    9,556 Global Posts
    Email. I need to be able to view all of my email, to include my Gmail in one program. So far in Android I can view all other email accounts in one app, but Gmail has to be viewed in another. I don't totally understand why they would do that (or even care). I need a unified inbox for all of my email along with a unified notification.
    I think you can do this in K9 mail which seems to be the main client of choice? (I don't know as I use gmail to collect and reply for all my email accounts).
  12.    #12  
    Quote Originally Posted by CGK View Post
    I think you can do this in K9 mail which seems to be the main client of choice? (I don't know as I use gmail to collect and reply for all my email accounts).
    Wow! I haven't used K-9 since Android 1.x. I didn't know it was still around. I will give it a look on my daughter's tablet this weekend.
    Guys... this site is webOS. AndroidCentral is our site for all discussions about that platform. Please feel free to continue your discussion over on that dedicated site.

Thank you.