Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree16Likes
  1.    #1  
    Hi all,

I'm so sorry to have to tell you all, I'm going to the dark side....I just ordered at Samsung Epic 4G...(they made it so confusing with two phones with almost the name)... I took the one with the physical keyboard....

It's only $9 this week thru Target.....

I have 30 days to deccide...but at this point even if HP is able to sell or license webOS...it has/will fall so far behind...unlesss the webOS group is father along than we think...(the rumor is that they never wanted the TouchPad and the Veer b/c webOS outgrew the hardware)...but for now that's a moot point....

The only hope is that someone with lots of $ like HTC buys webOS adapts their current phones or designs a new one for webOS and does what HP swore it was going to do...spend actual $ to make their own software and supply the labor and $ to vendors to port their apps.

I will of course still be busy in this site...as Android central doesn't seem to have nearly an active community as we do here.

The phone will be here in a few days and we'll see.

take care,

Jay
    Please Support Research into Fibromyalgia, Chronic Pain and Spinal Injuries. If You Suffer from These, Consider Joining or Better Yet Forming a Support Group. No One Should Suffer from the Burden of Chronic Pain, Jay M. S. Founder, Leesburg Fibromyalgia/Resources Group
    Hope to see you at androidcentral, *you're really going to love the app catalog and the speed on android.

You can do like me and get a touchpad so you can still enjoy webos

-- Sent from my HP TouchPad using Communities
    ilovedessert likes this.
    I feel your pain. I haven't gone yet for my personal use (though I use an Android and Blackberry for work). But while webOS has many fans, it's hard to be a customer when you can't find product to buy.

At the end of the day, it is just a phone and none of us, (no matter how much we bloviate on these forums about how we KNOW what will fail or succeed in the mobile tech world) have and control over the success or failure of any platform.

For all we know, the guy who was going to produce the killer mobile platform is living under a freeway somewhere after he got fired for stealing from his employer.

Enjoy your phone, bro.

C
    "Sometimes I feel like an OS-less child..."
    (with apologies to Billie Holiday )
    ilovedessert likes this.
    The Pre 3 is an amazing phone despite whatever HP does at this point. Go to whatever camp you want but I see no reason to abandon WebOS since updates are still coming and the homebrew community is still alive and well. I will be the last one to jump ship.
    WebOS-4-Life
    jay that sucks because you went to the dark side without even giving the light (?) side a chance...you never owned a webos device. You missed out...enjoy your new android life...
    SnotBoogie likes this.
    Congrats. Hope you enjoy your first android. You still have 30 days to decide.
    I just got a nexus 4g. Played with it for the last week on WiFi, never activated it. I'll most likely bet selling it ebay and keeping my pre2 until something better comes along. Android is a mess, I wish it wasn't, but it is. Completely unusable *

8.    #8  
    Hi, you are 100% CORRECT...but I had over 10 years with PalmOS which I loved.....however unless Meg works fast or sell/license webOS....most of the app writer/creators are or will shortly be gone....unless things happen fast or the buyer/lease holder should that ever happen, must have deep pockets to pay for a great deal of porting.

WebOS is a fantastic creation that got done in by foolish choices of several firms and Mr. Hurd's very foolish choices...although they should have fined him or another kind of slap on the wrist....not fired him...b/c I don't care what other people do in their bedrooms...he was dumb to try to get HP to pay for his concubine as I have said from the beginning...his wife (or then wife), needed to take welding lessons...

Sad that Leo and the board were to foolish to see the big picture...what they are trying to do is very risky b/c there are no so many firms who already did the same... plus what's so bad about being the number one maker of computers worldwide??? They were making money in very tough and trying times!

I gave a great deal of thought into trying to get a Pre3 online...but the problem is still apps....or the lack of new apps as due to Leo the pipeline will shortly dry out....unless things happen quickly....

take care,

jay
    Please Support Research into Fibromyalgia, Chronic Pain and Spinal Injuries. If You Suffer from These, Consider Joining or Better Yet Forming a Support Group. No One Should Suffer from the Burden of Chronic Pain, Jay M. S. Founder, Leesburg Fibromyalgia/Resources Group
  9.    #9  
    Quote Originally Posted by urresidentcomedian View Post
    The dark side is definitely greener.

Congrats, Jay, for having a mind of your own.
    Thanks, take care, Jay
    PS green is good...I spent 25 years designing interior Plantscaping and taking care of the installations, on cruise ships, office buildings and private homes......for all the years I worked money did grow on trees...
    Quote Originally Posted by MDsmartphone View Post
    jay that sucks because you went to the dark side without even giving the light (?) side a chance...you never owned a webos device. You missed out...enjoy your new android life...
    i'll be honest i don't get that. How can you be the loudest cheerleader but never buy a webos phone. I know Jay is sincere but i still don't get it. I'd have guessed you'd just buy a Pre 3 off the internet and use it for years. Considering you gone all this time with an outdated Treo i'd figure you wouldn't need the most cutting edge. I'd think a pre 3 would satisfy you for a few years. Well Jay if it's any consolation i'm sure you're not alone.
    You come at the king. You best not miss.
    kkhanmd likes this.

Say it aint so Jay! Say it aint so!! LOL

I can't blame you man. I want to be optimistic, but hoping for a webOS comeback is borderline insane. And like you said, even if HP licenses it or sells webOS, or whatever; by the time new devices are able to hit the market, it will be too far behind.

Amazon's new Kindle Fire tablet is another example of just how fast tech moves. Even if HP didn't scrap webOS & launched the TouchPad Go, it would have had a hard time competing with the Amazon Fire's price tag. They would have to firesale the TP Go just to stay in the game.

webOS had a heck of a run, and I'll hang on to my FrankenPre 2 for a little while, but with Sprint possibly getting the iPhone, that will probably end up being my next phone. I'm happy I was able to get a firesale TouchPad, that way I get to keep enjoying webOS until HP decides to stop pushing out TP updates.

Enjoy your new Epic, let us know how you like it.
    Global Posts
    977 Global Posts
    I got on the webOS train because at the time, it was going somewhere. Today, I would have a hard time going with the Pre^3, not knowing there was a future.

Can't blame you at all Jay.

I suspect that when Sprint gets the iPhone 5, my wife and I will be going that route. But I can assure you, if webOS comes back to mobile, I'll be back as well!
    Sprint since 01/06/99: Sanyo SCP-4500 -> Audiovox PPC-6700 -> Palm Treo 755p -> Palm Centro -> Palm Pre 1.4.5 -> Jailbroken iPhone 4s
    Quote Originally Posted by SnotBoogie View Post
    i'll be honest i don't get that. How can you be the loudest cheerleader but never buy a webos phone. I know Jay is sincere but i still don't get it. I'd have guessed you'd just buy a Pre 3 off the internet and use it for years. Considering you gone all this time with an outdated Treo i'd figure you wouldn't need the most cutting edge. I'd think a pre 3 would satisfy you for a few years. Well Jay if it's any consolation i'm sure you're not alone.
    Wouldn't it be ironic if Jay ended up using webOS at some point and ended up hating it because of its poor performance and anemic app selection?
    kkhanmd likes this.
    I'm a launch day pre minus owner and launch day touchpad owner. *I LOVE webOS and would be going Pre3 on sprint if it were possible. *Because there are no upcoming webOS devices for Sprint I am considering going iPhone5. *I'll wait for the announcement and see what it's all about. The nice thing about the iPhone is that I can jailbreak it and give it several webOS functions (card view, numerical keyboard, etc) and have solid hardware and a ton of apps. *If I go iPhone 5 I will write a post on it and describe what tweaks I used.*

Jay... There used to be a card switcher for android called itching thumb... However cannot figure out how to get it to work on my fiance's android.

Quote Originally Posted by nappy View Post
    Wouldn't it be ironic if Jay ended up using webOS at some point and ended up hating it because of its poor performance and anemic app selection?
    That would be ironic. That's kinda like this chick i was trying sleep with in college for a long *** time. Man when we finally went out and hooked she was boring as hell in bed. regardless though i'm going iphone when it releases i've tried android. It's not nearly as bad as people here say it is.
    You come at the king. You best not miss.
  16.    #16  
    Quote Originally Posted by SnotBoogie View Post
    Hi all,

I did this with a lot of thought and sadness.....but let me ask you all to think about the following:

1. Do you really think even if meg said today it was a mistake and were going to pick up the webOS mantle right now ....that many app writers would be on board.....one app writer told me...he was screwed by Palm when they pulled the rug out from under him with the Foleo.....

2. Now think about it...this is the 3rd time Palm/HP has pulled the rug out from under developers....

They cancelled the Foleo without even giving it a chance
    The dumped PalmOS for webOS
    and now HP has dumped webOS hardware...

3. While the webOS group is hard at work....but on what there is NO HARDWARE by anyone for this webOS to work on...no one is making hardware...no one is planning to make hardware.....

Now that HP pulled out the rug...how many App writers will continue to write apps for webOS? Even with the accident "success" of the TouchPad.

WebOS was so far behind before...but now unless someone such as HTC buys webOS and pumps a great deal of money into it....nothing much is going to happen....

Now HP says it will continue to support webOS with updates etc....How long do you think the stockholders will allow HP to continue to fund a division that has no production value and no planned products before the cut it off completely....

I'm the very last one to want to say this...but unless a firm comes along quickly ....I think it all over!

Take care,

Jay
    slbailey1 likes this.
    Quote Originally Posted by erasef301 View Post
    I'm a launch day pre minus owner and launch day touchpad owner. *I LOVE webOS and would be going Pre3 on sprint if it were possible. *Because there are no upcoming webOS devices for Sprint I am considering going iPhone5. *I'll wait for the announcement and see what it's all about. The nice thing about the iPhone is that I can jailbreak it and give it several webOS functions (card view, numerical keyboard, etc) and have solid hardware and a ton of apps. *If I go iPhone 5 I will write a post on it and describe what tweaks I used.*

Jay... There used to be a card switcher for android called itching thumb... However cannot figure out how to get it to work on my fiance's android.

In exactly the same situation. I have an iPad through work (but a Touchpad for everyday use) so that will make it easier, and after spending time with my wife's Droid X I am convinced there is no worse OS than Android. The hardware may be great, but the OS just plain stinks. Not that iOS is that fantastic....but iOS 5 will have a number of enhancements that mimic WebOS. Android is like going backwards in time, even if you ignored the fragmentation and lack of apps. Plus, now that the iPhone is no longer cool, I can obtain one with no regrets.
    webOS on phones is buried alive. Hopefully someone will come along and dig it up.
    ilovedessert likes this.
    Global Posts
    39 Global Posts
    As I have posted a couple times before I have been Palm/WebOS for well over a decade. I have never wanted to stray from those systems as I fel the iPhone & such borrowed/stole everything the Palm Treo600 - 750 was with a "innovative" phone that wasn't half as good and did less than my then 5 year old Treo did. When the Pre came along on Verizon I couldn't wait to get mine despite the total change in software that cost me a couple of my favorite programs - some of which have never been replaced on the WebOS platform. I was first in line ($599) for my TouchPad and sold a bunch more - all to have the rug pulled out 6 weeks later. My daughter & I were waiting not so patiently for the Pre 3 - she decided to go Pre2 so I saw just what that offered. What a mess.

I couldn't justify another 2 year commitment to a Pre2 so I reluctantly got a great deal on a new Droid Bionic. Sorry to say but it is a great phone. Maybe not quite as smoothly integrated as the Pre but it does everything I need, does it FAST, has a great email client (something that has been very buggy on the WebOS since day one & is terrible on my TP). The true 4G is a joy. Phone quality is excellent. I picked up the interface in a day or two - it does the important things perfectly and offer access to all the toys you could ever want. Like the WebOS it doesn't require 1000 apps as the browser works basically as any PC would - but the apps are a nice shortcut to some popular features.

The downside - no physical keyboard and, for me, the thing is too big. But the Pre3 was growing as well so that seems to be the trend. Other than that I'm extremely pleased as the battery life appears to be as good as the Pre, the speed of both applications and the web are incredible - it is a solid phone I can live with for the next two years I think. I would gladly return to the WebOS phone IF they catch up with 4G, fix the email and get the support level I seem to see in the Android world. Chances of that happening? Very low I feel.

I'll continue to enjoy my TP and stay on top of where the WebOS is headed. But for now I'm also living life on an alternative OS / hardware that appear to offer a great alternative if the WebOS really is going to stagnate. Believe me I wish I didn't have to make a change.
    John

Proudly Microsoft/Apple Free with HP/Palm Pre+/ Driod Bionic / Verizon Wireless TouchPad SOON! NOW!
    Quote Originally Posted by ilovedessert View Post
    Hi all,

I'm so sorry to have to tell you all, I'm going to the dark side....I just ordered at Samsung Epic 4G...(they made it so confusing with two phones with almost the name)... I took the one with the physical keyboard....

It's only $9 this week thru Target.....

I have 30 days to deccide...but at this point even if HP is able to sell or license webOS...it has/will fall so far behind...unlesss the webOS group is father along than we think...(the rumor is that they never wanted the TouchPad and the Veer b/c webOS outgrew the hardware)...but for now that's a moot point....

The only hope is that someone with lots of $ like HTC buys webOS adapts their current phones or designs a new one for webOS and does what HP swore it was going to do...spend actual $ to make their own software and supply the labor and $ to vendors to port their apps.

I will of course still be busy in this site...as Android central doesn't seem to have nearly an active community as we do here.

The phone will be here in a few days and we'll see.

take care,

Jay
    Jay, don't fret. I'm about to do the same thing. My Sprint Pre is falling apart and I can no longer get support for it. I'm torn between getting the Epic 4G and the Evo 3D. Looks like I will be going with the Epic, since it is a lot faster than the Evo. I thank God for the TouchPad because I can still use webOS to manage my email (and pretty much the rest of my life) on it. I have a lot of experience with Android. I bought a few apps on the platform. I'm hoping that the Epic is a better supported device (apps and tech support) than the last few Android devices I bought. I was also hoping that by this time the UI and battery problems would be fixed with Android, but I am out of time (contract is up on the 1st of October). We will see. Like you said, we have 30 days to decide.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast