Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree16Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by k4ever View Post
    Jay, don't fret. I'm about to do the same thing. My Sprint Pre is falling apart and I can no longer get support for it. I'm torn between getting the Epic 4G and the Evo 3D. Looks like I will be going with the Epic, since it is a lot faster than the Evo. I thank God for the TouchPad because I can still use webOS to manage my email (and pretty much the rest of my life) on it. I have a lot of experience with Android. I bought a few apps on the platform. I'm hoping that the Epic is a better supported device (apps and tech support) than the last few Android devices I bought. I was also hoping that by this time the UI and battery problems would be fixed with Android, but I am out of time (contract is up on the 1st of October). We will see. Like you said, we have 30 days to decide.
    If you guys are going android why are you getting older devices like the Epic? Why not the GS2, 3D, or some other new flavor that is not a year old?
  2.    #22  
    Hi all, I'm giving it a try Android OS .....not become Klingon! IF webOS is licensed or bought by someone I'll come back....I truly am saddened by all of this.....but Palm had no $ so they were shot in the foot by accident with webOS.....HP was stupid and shot ALL of us in the foot!

Take care,

Jay
    Please Support Research into Fibromyalgia, Chronic Pain and Spinal Injuries. If You Suffer from These, Consider Joining or Better Yet Forming a Support Group. No One Should Suffer from the Burden of Chronic Pain, Jay M. S. Founder, Leesburg Fibromyalgia/Resources Group
    k4ever likes this.
    Quote Originally Posted by timeweb2 View Post
    Maybe not quite as smoothly integrated as the Pre but it does everything I need, does it FAST, has a great email client (something that has been very buggy on the WebOS since day one & is terrible on my TP).
    What email client are you using? I have always found Android's default email client to be hardly usable. The only thing it has going for it is threaded messaging with Gmail, which is a totally separate program, btw. I have 3 email accounts and after all the problems I have had in the past and all of the problems my friends are having now with email on Android, I'm dreading giving up my Pre. If there is a better email client for Android then the default one, I would like to know about it. I also need a calendar program similar to what I get with synergy. Heck, I need an entire synergy replacement. Come to think of it, is there a program on Android that updates my contacts pictures every time their Facebook wall picture changes like synergy does? It is not something critical, but it will be one of the cool feature synergy features that I will miss the most. I'm going to start a thread on this. With all the "apps" that Android has, there has got to be some that will ease the transition for us Pre users. Believe me if HP/Palm still supported the Pre, I would not give it up.
    What email client are you using? I have always found Android's default email client to be hardly usable. The only thing it has going for it is threaded messaging with Gmail, which is a totally separate program, btw. I have 3 email accounts and after all the problems I have had in the past and all of the problems my friends are having now with email on Android, I'm dreading giving up my Pre. If there is a better email client for Android then the default one, I would like to know about it. I also need a calendar program similar to what I get with synergy. Heck, I need an entire synergy replacement. Come to think of it, is there a program on Android that updates my contacts pictures every time their Facebook wall picture changes like synergy does? It is not something critical, but it will be one of the cool feature synergy features that I will miss the most. I'm going to start a thread on this. With all the "apps" that Android has, there has got to be some that will ease the transition for us Pre users. Believe me if HP/Palm still supported the Pre, I would not give it up.
    How come you dont want to do a Pre 2 swap? Keeps your plan as is with not 10$ month fee for activating a new smart phone.
    Quote Originally Posted by Stevesrjr86 View Post
    If you guys are going android why are you getting older devices like the Epic? Why not the GS2, 3D, or some other new flavor that is not a year old?
    Price for one. Speed for another (at least for me). I just watched a YouTube video where the Epic 4G Touch destroyed the Evo 3D in every speed test. I thought the 3D would be faster but it is not.
    Quote Originally Posted by Stevesrjr86 View Post
    How come you dont want to do a Pre 2 swap? Keeps your plan as is with not 10$ month fee for activating a new smart phone.
    Are you talking about taking a Verizon Pre2 and using parts from my Pre to make another phone? I will pass on that. The TouchPad, tethered to the Epic, will satisfy my webOS needs. Plus I really need/want a phone with good tech support and insurance. I can't get that with a FrankenPre2.
    Have fun with your new device. I'll probably grab an iPhone from Sprint if it does show up next month on their network.
    Achill3s' Palm Pre: Modded and patched to death!!
    Well, I have an IPhone 4, and Samsung Galaxy S2 and my HP PrPrPr!

Sorry for other, but webOS Rules!

You don't need to go forever, because the life is not black or white, but many levels of gray!

And if you come back, we always stay here!

Best Regards...
    "If A Man Isn't Willing To Take Some Risk For His Opinions, Either His Opinions Are No Good Or He's No Good!" - Ezra Pound (Poet & Critic)
    (Happy A Lot, As A Good Carioca!)
    Are you talking about taking a Verizon Pre2 and using parts from my Pre to make another phone? I will pass on that. The TouchPad, tethered to the Epic, will satisfy my webOS needs. Plus I really need/want a phone with good tech support and insurance. I can't get that with a FrankenPre2.
    Hey, you can't ask for better tech support than WebOS Internals .. But I understand your decision, hope things workout for you.
    k4ever likes this.
    Jay,

I'm not questioning your choice of smartphone...you have to purchase what makes you happy and meets your needs.

but for you to post as many times as you have, to post all the terrific articles on webos you pick up, to be a pro palm guy for all these years...but never purchase a webos device is ludicrous.

you have no idea what you have missed or haven't missed. You have no idea what its like to use webOS' terrific user interface. And now you are making the jump from palm OS to android...

good luck with android.
    kkhanmd likes this.
    Yeah, it's not really "coming back" when you were never here.
    SnotBoogie likes this.
    Quote Originally Posted by ilovedessert View Post
    I gave a great deal of thought into trying to get a Pre3 online...but the problem is still apps....or the lack of new apps as due to Leo the pipeline will shortly dry out....unless things happen quickly....
    What apps are you looking for? (Just curious)
    So what phone is Jay switching from?
  14.    #34  
    Hi all,

For those of you who asked I'm using a Palm Centro that is now 3 years old...I never got a Pre b/c of my contract with Verizon....when my contracted ended I decided to wait for the Pre3 which is now a fruitless wait.

As to what app I'm looking for...I use dateBK6 very, very often...it isn't available for webOS and since the beginning of webOS many of you commented or complained about the calender section of the Pre...

So many firms that were thinking of working on webOS, such as Agendus, Pop cap etc....all will just walk away now b/c of what Leo did....

He made BOLD FACED LIES... claiming that they were going to send personnel and pick up the tap for porting, they were going to write a great deal of apps in house....etc...

They rushed out the TouchPad, handled the ads poorly....after all as soon as reviewers mentioned it was slightly heavier and thicker....where was Leo or Ruby where were the ads saying...." were slightly heavier & slightly thinker b/c of Touch Stone tech"....

You also don't walk away from the entire platform b/c of one failed product....even if someone else buys webOS ...they now have a harder job to port apps and convince other to write for webOS IF it gets licensed or purchased by someone else....at this point the only thing to do is to do what Leo lied and said he was going to do....that is send personnel and $ and pay to have apps ported or written...

Do you really think that Meg is going to do a 180 on webOS and not selling off the PC div?? Do you really think people want to work with a company that was too stupid to even INTERVIEW Leo BEFORE they hired him???

For that matter, speaking as someone who spent his entire career as a self employed person... Leo doesn't deserve a golden parachute he should get a gold boot up his $#@$%*

HP's exec office told me today, that they had a strategic meeting and have decided what to do with webOS.....wouldn't it be nice if they even considered the customer and sad something to us dumb schnooks that stood by PalmOS or webOS???

I have 30 days, I can come back to PalmOS if I want or to webOS....It's not like I'm leaving the planet! LOL!

take care,

Jay
    Please Support Research into Fibromyalgia, Chronic Pain and Spinal Injuries. If You Suffer from These, Consider Joining or Better Yet Forming a Support Group. No One Should Suffer from the Burden of Chronic Pain, Jay M. S. Founder, Leesburg Fibromyalgia/Resources Group
  15.    #35  
    Quote Originally Posted by stitcher1 View Post
    Jay - Next your going to tell us that you don't really care that much for dessert.
    Hi actually that's what I did most of the day....

I'm home a great deal these days b/c I'm sole care giver to my 88 year old Mom, who lives with me in my house....she is 88 & had a stroke + 2 heart attacks.....

The rest of the day I baked desserts for the Jewish New Years, (I'm Jewish) and so there's a great deal of baking to do, I made batch of danish filled with Cinnamon, blond raisins, crasins & dark (60% coca) & milk chocolate chips, also 4 triple chocolate cakes and 4 lemon cranberry cakes...

I still have 2 more batches of Danish to make (cheese apricot and cherry pecan)...

I do love desserts, however now that I'm past 50 I can't burn the calories like I used to so, I don't avoid them as much as I can....

Take care,

Jay
    SnotBoogie, Rnp and Vij like this.
    What email client are you using? I have always found Android's default email client to be hardly usable.
    It sounds like he is using Motorola's email app instead of the gmail app. Below is what I posted in another thread about Android and email (I don't know how to link to that post).

HTC and Samsung native email app supports all types of email accounts (IMAP, Pop, and Exchange). You have to tie one gmail account in the gmail app to get Android Market access. You don't have to setup auto sync with that account in gmail.

I have the HTC Incredible and the Samsung Galaxy Tab 7.0. This is what I did.

1. I created a new Google email account (ending in "acct") that I only use to activate my Android devices with. This way all my devices can share all my purchased apps - buy once and run on all android devices.
    2. Once the device is activated, turn off auto syncing.
    3. Setup all my email accounts (gmail - including the device account, exchange, hotmail) in the manufacturer's mail app with auto syncing.
    4. Setup all IMAP accounts to push.

Edit: Althrough you have all your devices tied to one account, you don't have to have the all purchased apps on all devices. On your device, in the Market, you will see all apps purchased but not installed. You can pick and choise what apps to install. If you access the Android Market from the web, you can manage all your devices at once (if all devices are tied to the same account).
  17.    #37  
    Hi all,

I have a number of email address I still use AOL, b/c it's the easiest email address for people to remember...I also use Embarqmail...which is now owned my Centurylink...who now supplies my DSL provider @ 10mbps...(went up from 1.5 mbps) when we changed over to centurylink's prism which is DSL, whole house DVR and TV...)..we just changed the entire DSL, TV and from Tivo last week.

take care,

Jay
    ah, jay, you love dessert and make so much dessert...no wonder you're going android...ice cream sandwich, gingerbread, froyo, eclair, etc. And I guess no apple or mango's for you...

how about webos 2.1.x?
    Hi all,

I did this with a lot of thought and sadness.....but let me ask you all to think about the following:

1. Do you really think even if meg said today it was a mistake and were going to pick up the webOS mantle right now ....that many app writers would be on board.....one app writer told me...he was screwed by Palm when they pulled the rug out from under him with the Foleo.....

2. Now think about it...this is the 3rd time Palm/HP has pulled the rug out from under developers....

They cancelled the Foleo without even giving it a chance
    The dumped PalmOS for webOS
    and now HP has dumped webOS hardware...

3. While the webOS group is hard at work....but on what there is NO HARDWARE by anyone for this webOS to work on...no one is making hardware...no one is planning to make hardware.....

Now that HP pulled out the rug...how many App writers will continue to write apps for webOS? Even with the accident "success" of the TouchPad.

WebOS was so far behind before...but now unless someone such as HTC buys webOS and pumps a great deal of money into it....nothing much is going to happen....

Now HP says it will continue to support webOS with updates etc....How long do you think the stockholders will allow HP to continue to fund a division that has no production value and no planned products before the cut it off completely....

I'm the very last one to want to say this...but unless a firm comes along quickly ....I think it all over!

Take care,

Jay
    yeah i know you did. Well if it's any consolation you may be able to pick up a cheap pre 2 unlocked sometime soon. And if you're on gsm you can just swap sim cards. I saw a pixi last week for $25 off contract. I'm not big on it but maybe later such deals will be around for Pre 2s and you can swap.

Regarding you're questions:
    I'd just generally say no i don't think there would be tons of app developer support if she's said that today. But partly because relative to the market place and upstarts like windows phone 7 the developer support was not massive when HP was cheerleading for webos for months or at launch when you'd expect it to be huge.

I mean i'm not trying to say you're decision is wrong. Hell i came to a similar conclusion last year and merely decided to ride out my Pre contract on sprint because i'm not really a phone enthusiast who buys each new hip phone. (i've actually only had 4 phones in the last 11 years).
    Last edited by SnotBoogie; 09/30/2011 at 12:08 AM.
    You come at the king. You best not miss.
  20. cgk
    Global Posts
    9,556 Global Posts
    Hi all,

I have a number of email address I still use AOL, b/c it's the easiest email address for people to remember...I also use Embarqmail...which is now owned my Centurylink...who now supplies my DSL provider @ 10mbps...(went up from 1.5 mbps) when we changed over to centurylink's prism which is DSL, whole house DVR and TV...)..we just changed the entire DSL, TV and from Tivo last week.

take care,

Jay
    Honestly, I'd set up gmail to collect and reply on behalf (so the emails appear to come from each seperate account rather than gmail) of all of those accounts. I have six accounts for various purposes and gmail collects them all and replies on behalf of them all.
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast