Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree2Likes
    Global Posts
    614 Global Posts
    Now that beloved webOS is dead and buried, I have to face the prospect of replacing my Pre Minus (eventually) with something other than a Pre 3 (thanks HP!). I know that WP7 is out there, but frankly, I'm not jumping into another webOS screw up, just to be abandoned again. That leaves Android and iOS. Now that Sprint is getting iPhone, I'll actually have a choice, rather than being stuck with Android as I had feared (not anything against Android, but I wanted a choice). So, now I'll have a choice, and I'd like some opinions as to which I should choose.

So, other than "(Apple/Google) sucks," can anyone offer opinions as to the relative merits of each platform?
    i would probably get a samsung galaxy 2, so android, but then again i would try my hardest to get a pre 3 haha, i certainly would not get an iphone ;-)
    Windows Phone 7 is not likely to be dropped by MS. It really is a compelling platform.

Also, webOS lives in you.... so it will never die.
    If you like my Themes, please donate! Thanks!

http://wiseguyandbeyond.blogspot.com

http://wiseguyandbeyond.blogspot.com
    BlueTuna likes this.
    Global Posts
    614 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by pogeypre View Post
    Windows Phone 7 is not likely to be dropped by MS. It really is a compelling platform.

Also, webOS lives in you.... so it will never die.
    I appreciate that, and I agree that MS is unlikely to actually drop WP7, but if the app catalog is destined to remain relatively tiny, and the phone selection small enough that Sprint could, conceivably, stop carrying WP7 phones just by dropping a couple of handsets, I would prefer to stick with a more mature platform.
    Global Posts
    614 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by noobftw View Post
    i would probably get a samsung galaxy 2, so android, but then again i would try my hardest to get a pre 3 haha, i certainly would not get an iphone ;-)
    What is it about Android that you prefer?
    Global Posts
    110 Global Posts
    Here is what puts Android over the top for me: options. I can tweak and adjust things to my liking in ways that wouldn't be possible on an iPhone. Here are some of things that I can do that (I believe) iPhones can't:
    1. Choice of scrolling through app list (vertical or paginated)
    2. Choice of home screen (stock or manufacturer skin that comes with the device, or something from the Market)
    3. User replaceable battery (i use an extended one)
    4. Better multitasking than iPhone (I have roughly two dozen apps and services running, while typing this reply in my browser)
    5. Choice of screen size (I prefer huge)
    6. Choice of keyboard
    7. Choice of manufacturer
    8. LED notification light (variety of colors varies by manufacturer)
    9. Moving and interactive wallpapers
    10. Customizable folders (contacts, apps, etc. not limited to what or how many you put in it)
    11. Better integration with other Google services (that's big with me)
    12. Choice of whether or not to use flash in your browser
    13. Shortcuts (like creating an icon that will directly dial or text someone without bothering to open your phone or sms app)
    14. You have the option to use widgets. (For example, I keep a vertically scrolling calendar if my appointments on my home screen. Touching an appointment opens it up to show details or be edited).
    15. Via an apps, you
    Global Posts
    110 Global Posts
    15... via apps you can customize your lock screen, or remove it altogether
    Before iOS 5, I would have said Android but that's not the case anymore. Now that the iphone will supposedly be computer free(itunes) and have a much improved notification system. I guess we'll really see if this all holds up when they finally release the os update.

Android has two things going for it.

1. A variety of hardware choices
    2. Software customization

If you enjoy tinkering with your phone for hours to get it to where you want it then Android would be the better choice. If you like using terms like "rooting" and "roms" then Android is a no brainer. It's obviously a very powerful OS and open to serious customization. I'm hoping Matias Duarte will eventually get Android to a nice place but I've been somewhat disappointed in his efforts.

If you want something to works in a logical fashion right out of the box then WP7 or iOS will be the better choice. I find iOS closer to the webOS experience than Android in that the UI is unified and simple but it is not nearly as engaging as WP7 or webOS. WP7 is an original concept that is a little hard to get at first but makes a lot of sense once you do. I find it amazing that people complain about WP7 apps. They have over 30,000 of them including all the big ones everyone wants. There will also be hardware choices for WP7. Both these OS's are fully GPU enabled which makes for a very pleasant experience. If you have a soft spot for the choppy scrolling like you have in webOS, then definitely do not get and iPhone or WP7 phone.
    Global Posts
    614 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Superjudge View Post
    Before iOS 5, I would have said Android but that's not the case anymore. Now that the iphone will supposedly be computer free(itunes) and have a much improved notification system. I guess we'll really see if this all holds up when they finally release the os update.

Android has two things going for it.

1. A variety of hardware choices
    2. Software customization

If you enjoy tinkering with your phone for hours to get it to where you want it then Android would be the better choice. If you like using terms like "rooting" and "roms" then Android is a no brainer. It's obviously a very powerful OS and open to serious customization. I'm hoping Matias Duarte will eventually get Android to a nice place but I've been somewhat disappointed in his efforts.

If you want something to works in a logical fashion right out of the box then WP7 or iOS will be the better choice. I find iOS closer to the webOS experience than Android in that the UI is unified and simple but it is not nearly as engaging as WP7 or webOS. WP7 is an original concept that is a little hard to get at first but makes a lot of sense once you do. I find it amazing that people complain about WP7 apps. They have over 30,000 of them including all the big ones everyone wants. There will also be hardware choices for WP7. Both these OS's are fully GPU enabled which makes for a very pleasant experience. If you have a soft spot for the choppy scrolling like you have in webOS, then definitely do not get and iPhone or WP7 phone.
    I'm not that much into customization on my phone (my PC is another thing), and I really want something that is stable and works 100% of the time when I need to call, text, or email. Of course, what I really want is another webOS phone, but I think what I'm getting at is what's going to be most like webOS that I can go forward with? Even though I am a gearhead in everything else, I decided from the day I got my Pre that it would be stock, with no Preware or patches, and it has served me very well (and still does). Aside from stuck in headset, which was chronic until I switched entirely to Bluetooth, I have had none of the problems that people have posted here about their Pres. Ditto for my wife's Pre. So, I'm probably going to continue that way with whatever my new phone is. Not as much fun, but great to be able to rely on the tech when I need it.
    Quote Originally Posted by jkeitz View Post

I appreciate that, and I agree that MS is unlikely to actually drop WP7, but if the app catalog is destined to remain relatively tiny,
    Wow dude... What ARE you talking about?!?

The WP7 app store has over 25.000 apps. It's the third biggest ecosystem out there, and both in quality and in quantity it's lightyears ahead of what's available in the HP/Palm app catalogue.

iPhones and Android might have more apps, but its only a theoretical difference: There might be 10 apps available in every imaginable category as opposed to WP7s 4 or 5. I really doubt that there's anything missing there, no matter how obscure your app-wishes are.

Personally I have Android, but if I lived in the US, I'm pretty sure I'd give WP7 a spin. It's the only platform out there, that's just as smooth as an iphone, and much faster than most Androids. Since you're coming from webOS I think you'll really like the taskswitching/multitasking they have in WP7.

And since Nokia is coming aboard now, and the "real" Mango WP7 is out, you can expect WP7 to really take off in the next year. There is a whole bunch of new Mango WP7 phones coming between now and christmas, and I really encourage you to check them out.
    Global Posts
    614 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by RBallard View Post
    Here is what puts Android over the top for me: options. I can tweak and adjust things to my liking in ways that wouldn't be possible on an iPhone. Here are some of things that I can do that (I believe) iPhones can't:
    2. Choice of home screen (stock or manufacturer skin that comes with the device, or something from the Market)
    4. Better multitasking than iPhone (I have roughly two dozen apps and services running, while typing this reply in my browser)
    6. Choice of keyboard
    10. Customizable folders (contacts, apps, etc. not limited to what or how many you put in it)
    13. Shortcuts (like creating an icon that will directly dial or text someone without bothering to open your phone or sms app)
    14. You have the option to use widgets. (For example, I keep a vertically scrolling calendar if my appointments on my home screen. Touching an appointment opens it up to show details or be edited).
    15. Via an apps, you
    The Google integration is big for me too. Otherwise, Flash is nice, but I can hardly use my Pre for battery life as it is, so I probably wouldn't be able to use Flash much anyway (and iOS has a Netflix app, which is the main reason I'd want Flash). Much of the other stuff (moving wallpaper, widgets) I wouldn't use for sake of battery life anyway.

How much worse is iOS for Google integration? Is it on a par with webOS? What's missing?
    The Google integration is big for me too. Otherwise, Flash is nice,

How much worse is iOS for Google integration? Is it on a par with webOS? What's missing?
    Google integration on iOS is actually better than on Android. In the sense that some Google apps, latest example was the Google Plus app, actually come out on iOS BEFORE they come out on Android. But they'll come out on Android a couple of weeks later, so not much difference there.

Google has an advantage in the app-store in the sense that you can log on to a www-version of it, and install apps on all your different Android devices from the browser. That's a feature I think is really cool.

iOS on the other hand has a definite advantage in iTunes. It's really nice to have EVERYTHING for you phone in one window: Music, apps, movies, podcasts, etc.

Regarding Flash you're absolutely right. I have it turned off on my Android phone, cause whats the point really?

May I just toot the horn for WP7 one more time? If you give it a whirl, I think you'll like it!
    If you get Android, Nexus or nothing. I made a mistake with getting the Shift. The only reason I am rooted really is to put Vanilla Android on it.

I always found iOS and WP7 extremely boring UI wise.
    Last edited by koolkid09; 09/21/2011 at 11:49 AM. Reason: Puncuation
    6. Choice of keyboard
    15. Via an apps, you
    This.
    I'm not that much into customization on my phone (my PC is another thing), and I really want something that is stable and works 100% of the time when I need to call, text, or email. Of course, what I really want is another webOS phone, but I think what I'm getting at is what's going to be most like webOS that I can go forward with? Even though I am a gearhead in everything else, I decided from the day I got my Pre that it would be stock, with no Preware or patches, and it has served me very well (and still does). Aside from stuck in headset, which was chronic until I switched entirely to Bluetooth, I have had none of the problems that people have posted here about their Pres. Ditto for my wife's Pre. So, I'm probably going to continue that way with whatever my new phone is. Not as much fun, but great to be able to rely on the tech when I need it.

Well iOS would probably be your best option. It will work great for you right out of the box with no customization ever needed.
    Global Posts
    110 Global Posts
    Well actually vszulc, iOs received the Google+ app on July 19th
    (Google+ iOS App Is Now Available)

yet it was on Android over two weeks sooner
    (Google+ for Android app (hands-on) -- Engadget)
    Well actually vszulc, iOs received the Google+ app on July 19th
    (Google+ iOS App Is Now Available)

yet it was on Android over two weeks sooner
    (Google+ for Android app (hands-on) -- Engadget)
    Actually Google submited the google+ app to apple earlier, I am not sure if it was earlier than android, but it took long time for apple to approve it and put it on their appstore.
    Global Posts
    110 Global Posts
    Oh, and ZDNet does an excellent job comparing how Google's OS actually integrates with Google Voice in ways that iOS can't. I'm really lost as to how you can claim iOS can integrate Google's features faster and better than Google can

Why the iPhone and Google Voice don't mix | ZDNet
    Global Posts
    110 Global Posts
    That may be the case passlogic (link?), but I think when it actually hits my device strikes me as more important
    That may be the case passlogic (link?), but I think when it actually hits my device strikes me as more important
    Here's link. But like I said, I am not sure if Apple google+ app was submitted before Android was available.

The Google+ app is universal for iPhone and iPad, waiting for App Store approval - TNW Google
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast