Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree2Likes
    Global Posts
    614 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by RBallard View Post
    Oh, and ZDNet does an excellent job comparing how Google's OS actually integrates with Google Voice in ways that iOS can't. I'm really lost as to how you can claim iOS can integrate Google's features faster and better than Google can

Why the iPhone and Google Voice don't mix | ZDNet
    Well, this one won't affect me, since I'm not using Google Voice. I know it is inetgrated into Sprint, but I didn't see any real benefits for me to make the change.
    Global Posts
    110 Global Posts
    @pass: maybe you didn't see my link from before, but having it submitted to Apple on July 4th still comes after a late June release into to Android handsets. Even if Apple had it for review as early as June 1st, if the arrival dates on the respective devices are the same, does that make any practical difference?

@jkeitz: I get that you aren't planning on using GV. I posted that to illustrate how Google services actually integrate into the phone in ways Apple can't (or won't) let it integrate into iPhones. It's really on another level.
    The day Google+ was officially announced, the app was available on the Android Market. I guess I could see Google submitting apps to iOS earlier as they know their review process takes time and there appears to be zero review time for the Market (i'm still shocked by some apps I see on there, not in a good way).

From the link:

"The Google+ app for Android is already available on the Android Market and is garnering rave reviews. A mobile app that is designed to run in Mobile Safari has been available to iOS devices from the launch of Google+, but a native app for the service will undoubtedly run smoother and launch faster."

Are you confusing the mobile app with a native app? A mobile app is just mobile website version of a full website. Just look at the Google mobile blog (Google Mobile), native apps for Goggles, Blogger, Wallet are all available on Android before iOS.

However, it sounds like the OP just wants to call, text, and email with his phone, so all of this is immaterial.
    Global Posts
    614 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Mordbane View Post
    The day Google+ was officially announced, the app was available on the Android Market. I guess I could see Google submitting apps to iOS earlier as they know their review process takes time and there appears to be zero review time for the Market (i'm still shocked by some apps I see on there, not in a good way).

However, it sounds like the OP just wants to call, text, and email with his phone, so all of this is immaterial.
    No, the OP wants to do soooo much more than call, text, and email, but when he wants to call, text, or email, he wants that to work reliably. I use my Pre almost as my main computer. I do my lesson planning there, I play games, do all of my web surfing, read books, play music, watch video, and much more... The only thing I don't want to do is root/jailbreak/etc the phone. I want to run stock, but with all the approved apps I can run!

As a result, this is not immaterial at all. From all the comments here, I'm seeing that iOS will be most like webOS for me.
    Quote Originally Posted by jkeitz View Post
    I use my Pre almost as my main computer. I do my lesson planning there, I play games, do all of my web surfing, read books, play music, watch video, and much more...
    Wow. My hat's off to you if you can suffer through doing all that on the little pre.

Honestly, either the iphone or most any android phone will be a considerable step up over the pre for that stuff.

As for making phone calls, emails, etc. reliably; I never thought the pre was overly reliable for that anyway. Again, you'll likely be just fine with any of the other options available today. The rumors by the webos-folk that iphone is so locked down that it doesn't let you do anything, or that android is so buggy that it can't do anything, are severely overblown.

-Suntan
    iPhone is a good choice. Even though I prefer Android, I do recommend iOS devices to some of my friends. There is definately no size fits all.
    I would hold out for WP8. Its not to far away and if your pre- can hold out till next year, like I hope mine will, then just wait. I have seen what it will do and it looks like a completed version of webOS.
    slbailey1 likes this.
    Guys and gals, just my experience so far. Have been a Palm and then webos boy since god knows when, to the point that I knew nothing about other OSes.
    Bought (ouright) an HTC EVO 3D to "try" android 3 weeks ago. Extremely happy.
    No rooting so far and none is needed. Its all there.
    was not sure if I wanted ios or Android, but Android is all of webos and more.
    Yeah, miss a few things, but this is great hardware and OS.
    Global Posts
    614 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Suntan View Post
    Wow. My hat's off to you if you can suffer through doing all that on the little pre.

-Suntan
    Not really suffering. I like doing that on the Pre. My only complaint, if I had to pick anything, is waiting for apps to load. After that, everything runs very smoothly.
    Quote Originally Posted by jkeitz View Post
    Not really suffering. I like doing that on the Pre. My only complaint, if I had to pick anything, is waiting for apps to load. After that, everything runs very smoothly.
    To each their own. I used to think the Pre was acceptable to do some of that stuff. Honestly though, after using a larger/high res screen (and coming to appreciate it) going back to that little/low res of a screen would be brutal.

-Suntan
    Quote Originally Posted by RBallard View Post
    11. Better integration with other Google services (that's big with me)
    12. Choice of whether or not to use flash in your browser
    Thanks for the insight and these two may be the biggest problem for me if I go IOS. Next months release of IOS 5 and the iPhone 5 will hopefully answer many of these questions. Too be honest, I have a many problems with both Android and IOS, but yes Android does allow more customizations that I may prefer coming from webOS. I guess I could wait till IOS 5 gets rooted and then move on with options it may be missing.

You got me and obviously I'll be doing more research and hopefully making the right decision. Sorli...
    Android because resistance is futile.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12