Results 1 to 15 of 15
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By elslunko
  1.    #1  
    I think a major portion of us are finally saying goodnight to our beloved palm pres, and hello to hottest piece of hardware to come out in a long long time.

    So I'm wondering: what is everyone or anyone going to do with their E4GTouches to make the transition easier?

    Card view? New Keyboards? Homebrew?

    Most of us have no android experience whatsoever, maybe others who have made the jump can fill us in
  2. elslunko's Avatar
    Posts
    95 Posts
    Global Posts
    106 Global Posts
    #2  
    I just switched to android 3 weeks ago. After some serous use I'm convinced that webOS had the best UI paradigm.

    That said, just learn whatever flavor of android you get. Trying to get it to work like webOS was a waste of a week :P.
    sorli likes this.
  3. #3  
    My personal # is now on an Samsung Infuse. My business # is on my Pre2. I really want(ed) a Pre3, but since that's not likely to happen (sorry, not going to drop $600-900 on one), Android was runner up. The Infuse is an awesome piece of hardware. Cannot help but think this would just rock with WebOS on it...
  4. #4  
    Samsung is terrible at updating software. Have fun. I switched from an Epic 4G to a Pre2 and I will not be looking back. Oh, multitasking on Android sucks <staff edit>.
    Last edited by HelloNNNewman; 09/17/2011 at 10:53 AM. Reason: language
  5. Tedcas's Avatar
    Posts
    271 Posts
    Global Posts
    281 Global Posts
    #5  
    I picked up the Touch 4g yesterday. It is a VERY impressive piece of hardware. I previously had the original Epic 4g, and yes, Samsung did drag their feet with updates. They have already released the source code for the Touch 4g, so perhaps it's a bit different now.
    There is certainly a learning curve with Android, and I didn't like it in the beginning at all. Holding the home button for a pop up of your recent apps is a decent alternative to the multitasking of WebOs.
    My Palm history.
    Sony Clie', Treo 650, Treo700p, Centro, Treo 800w, Palm Pre, Touchpad
  6. #6  
    <<thread moved>>
  7. #7  
    There are several home-launcher apps in the Android market that will sorta give you the same card-view multi-tasking experience like webOS. I say sorta because they're all kind of half-there and not very good, because the OS would randomly decide to close things that I wanted open and it got really annoying really fast. It's just a really different work-flow that just doesn't suit me well because I constantly need to have multiple cards side-by-side open to refer to for work/personal life.
  8. #8  
    I had retired to accepting that I'd probably be getting the GSII a few months ago since Pre 3 didn't seem likely for Sprint. Now that GSII is finally available in the US, I was dismayed to find out that the US version (Sprint) is bigger, fatter, and heavier than the original GSII. And to think that all the delay in release is b/c each carrier is designing their own variant for which the consumers realize no gain. WHY!!!!

    Frankly, an Infuse-size phone (4.5") is in the "ridiculous" range for size.
    I want to go no larger than 4" (Nexus S, Captivate size), was willing to make an exception for GSII original, but c'mon at 4.52", it's just ridiculous.

    How am I going to carry it? Stick a brick into my front pocket? Ok, let me go shopping for a man purse.
  9. Tedcas's Avatar
    Posts
    271 Posts
    Global Posts
    281 Global Posts
    #9  
    Quote Originally Posted by laoh View Post
    I had retired to accepting that I'd probably be getting the GSII a few months ago since Pre 3 didn't seem likely for Sprint. Now that GSII is finally available in the US, I was dismayed to find out that the US version (Sprint) is bigger, fatter, and heavier than the original GSII. And to think that all the delay in release is b/c each carrier is designing their own variant for which the consumers realize no gain. WHY!!!!

    Frankly, an Infuse-size phone (4.5") is in the "ridiculous" range for size.
    I want to go no larger than 4" (Nexus S, Captivate size), was willing to make an exception for GSII original, but c'mon at 4.52", it's just ridiculous.

    How am I going to carry it? Stick a brick into my front pocket? Ok, let me go shopping for a man purse.
    No doubt, the screen is huge. It is most certainly not a brick. It is extraordinarily thin, much thinner than the Epic 4g (no slide-out keyboard, of course) It fits in my front pocket fine, which I was pleasantly surprised about.
    My Palm history.
    Sony Clie', Treo 650, Treo700p, Centro, Treo 800w, Palm Pre, Touchpad
  10. #10  
    I think 4.5 is one of those numbers that sounds worse than it really is. I definitely thought the Infuse sounded absurd until I actually used one and realized it's actually more pocketable and comfortable to hold than I thought it would be. Now I keep looking at the 3.5" screen on my iPhone 4 with a tinge of sadness...
  11. #11  
    Quote Originally Posted by nappy View Post
    I think 4.5 is one of those numbers that sounds worse than it really is. I definitely thought the Infuse sounded absurd until I actually used one and realized it's actually more pocketable and comfortable to hold than I thought it would be. Now I keep looking at the 3.5" screen on my iPhone 4 with a tinge of sadness...
    Absolutely. This is an amazing phone - hardware wise. And Android is not that bad. It's not webOS, but it's not iOS either. The screen IS big, and it IS beautiful. And the Infuse is incredibly light, thin and sturdy. And it's much easier to carry than the iPhone, Treo, and several other phones I have owned.

    I miss having a real keyboard, and Android is less refined (although very customizable). And I have heard Samsung is slow on updates (although AT&T sent an email promising an upgrade "soon"), but in reality, it works very well. And the battery life is awesome... especially compared to a Pre or Pre2.

    If you are looking for a replacement, I would recommend you at least go hold and play with one... it will surprise you how small it actually feels in your pocket considering its true size.
    Last edited by Prdamrican; 09/17/2011 at 04:33 PM. Reason: dang typos!
  12. #12  
    my epic 4g touch is shipped and arrives monday...my pre- power switch is ruined and the only way to power up is plug it up to usb so i have no choice but to move on...bummer...

    but i am excited about all this android goodness im about to experience!...i plan on keeping this phone completely stock because android seems customizable enough without having to root it...
  13. #13  
    random question here....getting the gsII this upcoming friday. does anyone know if you can pull over the pre's default sounds for text messages alerts and phone calls?
  14. Tedcas's Avatar
    Posts
    271 Posts
    Global Posts
    281 Global Posts
    #14  
    Quote Originally Posted by alphonsocino View Post
    random question here....getting the gsII this upcoming friday. does anyone know if you can pull over the pre's default sounds for text messages alerts and phone calls?
    I have. Just put them in the Ringtones folder while in USB mode.
    My Palm history.
    Sony Clie', Treo 650, Treo700p, Centro, Treo 800w, Palm Pre, Touchpad
  15. #15  
    Quote Originally Posted by laoh View Post
    I want to go no larger than 4" (Nexus S, Captivate size), was willing to make an exception for GSII original, but c'mon at 4.52", it's just ridiculous.

    How am I going to carry it? Stick a brick into my front pocket? Ok, let me go shopping for a man purse.
    I own both the Captivate and Epic Touch and actually prefer the larger size of the Epic Touch. I was comparing it to the Photon and Evo3D and couldn't tell the difference in size between the 3 so I opted for the Epic Touch with it's larger screen. When you don't have a keyboard, the extra screen space is appreciated.

    I may be in the minority but I actually prefer Samsung's TouchWiz interface over the generic Android 2.3 interface. Sorting through the apps remind me of flipping through webOS's card view. The camera is truly amazing on the Epic Touch. Tested out some pics in a completely dark room and they still turned out great.

    The Epic Touch is a great phone, but I'm still eyeing one of those ATT Pre3 that have been floating around for my ATT line.

Posting Permissions