Like Tree2Likes
  • 2 Post By Divine_Madcat
  1.    #1  
    Watching several of the tablet hardware demos of the upcoming Windows 8, I can't help but fixate on the touch activated bezels.

Swiping up from the bottom of the bezel in the web browser activates the tabs menu and address bar. Swiping right to left on the bezel activates a menu for Search, Social Networking, customization, and other extras, both system wide and in an app.

Touch activated bezels (aka gesture areas) are no strangers to WebOS phone users, but most of this functionality was glaryingly absent from the Touchpad. If the Touchpad had continued the tradition of interactive bezels, like those now found on Windows 8 tablets, would it have affected your decision to purchase a Touchpad?

Additionally, does such a feature make you more interested in a Windows 8 tablet?
    Last edited by lordnykkon; 09/18/2011 at 03:40 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by lordnykkon View Post
    Additionally, does such a feature make you more interested in a Windows 8 tablet?
    I was already pretty interested, but yes.
    Touchscreens are a fad.
    does such a feature make you more interested in a Windows 8 tablet?
    I cant say I will be interested in another windows product again, until they get rid of the stupid metro ui. It is such a horrible system, I can't say I want anything to do with it...
    bluenote and bertie81 like this.
    Why, so an inadvertant gesture can activate something, three buttons is more than enough for me. maybe you should wait until the brain wave operated one's from Microsoft come out. That way it won't even have to be touched.

Excuse me if I sound brash, but people went out and brought these things as if they were toys. Then there are others on the forum that bash the product and don't even own one.

People got a lot for the money, now we need to have proper apps written for it and stop companies from deciding whose internet device they are going to allow their content on, HULU is one.............
  5.    #5  
    I was speaking in terms of pre-firesale Touchpads.

This piqued my interest because the similar tech is being instituted in Windows 8 tablets. However, I suppose if it were institututed in Android or QNX tablets, the same query would apply.

Just thought it'd be intriguing to field opinions about how much this specific feature would interest tablet buyers and if it did or did not affect a buying decision for a Touchpad, or, likewise, a future non-webos tablet. Thank you all for your comments!
    Quote Originally Posted by Divine_Madcat View Post
    I cant say I will be interested in another windows product again, until they get rid of the stupid metro ui. It is such a horrible system, I can't say I want anything to do with it...
    Metro UI is just an add-on shell, just like Media Center was an add-on shell to Windows Media Center Edition and Vista/7. You don't need to run it on your PC. The Metro UI is not something you will be forced in to with Windows 8. Don't like it? Don't run it and stick with the good old Explorer.exe shell, which will still be there.
    Touchscreens are a fad.
    ...........Touch activated bezels (aka gusture areas) are no strangers to WebOS phone users, but most of this functionality was glaryingly absent from the Touchpad. If the Touchpad had continued the tradition of interactive bezels, like those now found on Windows 8 tablets, would it have affected your decision to purchase a Touchpad?..............
    The bezels of the Windows 8 devices are not touch sensitive (not a gesture area). Instead, the frist couple of rows of pixels on the screen itself are what recognize the swipe. It's mentioned in (sorry, don't know exactly where in the video it's mentioned). This is something that could be added to WebOS devices just like the last minute decision to add the up swipe back to WebOS 3.0 before the launch of the Touchpad.

-Skippy
    <thread moved>
    Global Posts
    105 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Skippy07 View Post
    The bezels of the Windows 8 devices are not touch sensitive (not a gesture area). Instead, the frist couple of rows of pixels on the screen itself are what recognize the swipe. It's mentioned in (sorry, don't know exactly where in the video it's mentioned). This is something that could be added to WebOS devices just like the last minute decision to add the up swipe back to WebOS 3.0 before the launch of the Touchpad.

-Skippy
    I was very disappointed when the tp was announced with out the gesture commands. They said it doesn't make sense to rotate the tablet with many gesture areas, I thought about the w8 current design using the screen. Just use a dedicated area or just add it to the hugeeeee bezel area. Then they bring back the up swipe and that was nice, think they were getting back @playbook then who probably like always took credit. Apple is going to have gestures too, everyone's headed that way and HP went away. And win8 tablet will be very nice, running quads and a nice graphics card will hopefully be powerful enough to run real pc games.
    Quote Originally Posted by Divine_Madcat View Post
    Metro's one of the best things to happen to MS in a long time
    One day we will find out what was the real reason why they omitted the gestures.
    Quote Originally Posted by laingman View Post
    One day we will find out what was the real reason why they omitted the gestures.
    My guess based only on what I've read is that HP had the design already for the Touchpad before they bought Palm, and it didn't involve having a gesture area.

Just guessing still, but rather than tossing what hardware design they already had, they forced webOS to be redesigned around no gesture area. Probably why there's even still some sections of apps (do a search in the app catalog from Just Type) that don't have a back button.

My guess is that crap like that, being forced to redesign for existing hardware rather than create new hardware around the strengths of the OS, is part of what slowed development down.

But again, this is all just speculation, and I have no inside knowledge.
    and maybe they reasoned that apple was doing quite well without it that it didn't matter. I tell you one thing, having to search for the back button inside an app on the touchpad drives me crazy
    Quote Originally Posted by Skippy07 View Post

-Skippy

Yep that's true. They use 1px each side for the "gestures"
  15.    #15  
    good conversation here! Thanks everyone for sharing.