Like Tree3Likes
  • 2 Post By callmechewy
  • 1 Post By rmausser
  1.    #1  
    So, knowing that I have to change phones soon (my Pre+ is too old to wait another year - at least - for a new webOS phone) I decided to take my ex's LG Ally out for a spin as my primary device.

First impressions:

• OS - Having different "pages" to put apps on is nice, I suppose...but I really only use the first page for my most common apps. All the rest might have a widget on them, but I rarely scroll over to check them out.
      Notifications - Horrible. Totally, irrevocably, brain-smashingly horrible. I can see now how spoiled I've been with webOS. Their horribleness is mainly because of the lack of multi-tasking, but even the way you get them isn't very useful.
      Multi-tasking - I knew that I had to close apps in order to open new ones...but I didn't realize how frustrating and annoying it was until I had to do it 5 times in 20 seconds just to do some copying and pasting. I really wish someone would steal cards from webOS and bring them to Android.
      Performance - This is a rather low-end Android phone, so I wasn't expecting much from it. So far, it's pretty close to my Pre+ (non-OC) in terms of app-loading and browser-loading speeds. I rooted it and put Velocity on it, which I'm sure helps a bunch.
      Customization - The number of steps I had to go through to gain access to a device that I OWN, that is based on an "open" OS, and that is supposedly better than webOS in that regard, is ridiculous. Sure, I can add widgets with Android...yay? I have live backgrounds with Android...yay? Ugh.
      App selection - When I first looked at the Android App market, I was like "so THIS is why people like Android so much!". After downloading around 25 free apps that I thought would be great to have (Facebook, Google+, barcode scanner, flashlight, etc) I ended up deleting all but 6 of them. For me, it's a fairly non-reason to use Android. Sure, some of the apps make it easier to use services like Facebook, etc...but almost all of those services have HTML5 versions on the web, which act exactly like an app anyways. Granted, some of the apps are pretty fun and useful (namely the paid ones), but for me it's not enough reason to switch.

Well, that's my take on Android so far. Please remember that I've never used Android before. Try not to flame me for this!

If I'm not doing something right, or am missing something important that would change my opinion about Android, please let me know!!!

P.S.
    I'm addicted to the TTS function for texting.
    5hieldz and gianf150 like this.
    Quote Originally Posted by callmechewy View Post
    Multi-tasking - I knew that I had to close apps in order to open new ones...but I didn't realize how frustrating and annoying it was until I had to do it 5 times in 20 seconds just to do some copying and pasting. I really wish someone would steal cards from webOS and bring them to Android.
    webOS "cards metaphor" appropriated for Android task manager [Video] | The #1 HP webOS, TouchPad, Pre, and Veer Community | PreCentral.net

I cant believe im helping someone use Android..guh.
    callmechewy likes this.
    Global Posts
    48 Global Posts
    So, knowing that I have to change phones soon (my Pre+ is too old to wait another year - at least - for a new webOS phone) I decided to take my ex's LG Ally out for a spin as my primary device.

First impressions: ...
    So I must say you hit the nail on the head with your post. My Pre- fell apart (really the speaker just went out) which forced me to go get a new phone. I had the Pre from day one (6/6/2009), still miss it . Anyhow, I ended up at Best Buy and got talked into a Motorola Photon 4G on Sprint (only $99 since I had an upgrade available). Well, everything you sad was right on, except the hardware on the Photon phone is far superior. Last Sunday was three weeks to the day that I had the Photon and I was not at all impressed with Android. Iím not sure why people like it (because itís Google?). I find it too complicated! Maybe Iím the stupid one here, but whatever.

The only things I liked about it:

1) Has words with Friends
    2) HARDWARE BLAZING FAST!
    3) The built in navigation (the best I have used, even better then standalone GPS)

3 things, thatís it! I traded it in (had 30 days to do so), and picked up the older hardware HTC Arrive (Win 7 phone). I must say, only being 2 days into it, I find it the closest OS to WebOS. It is fairly elegant, simple, and the OS feels just as responsive and fast as iOS. In 2 days, I can safely say I like it WAY better than Android. I think this is the new mobile OS for me (until new WebOS hardware comes out?).

Here is what I like:

1) Quality apps (still missing some stuff)
    2) OS is super smooth, responsive, great animations, elegant, and feels fresh.
    3) Great for emailing (especially if you still have a primary account, as I do, in Hotmail).
    4) Simple and easy to use.
    5) Great battery life.
    6) Love the live tiles.

Drawbacks:

1) Needs a single email app and should thread your email boxes together like WebOS.
    2) Need slightly better notification system, but not terrible.
    3) Need a better way t assign sounds or vibrate to specific things.
    4) Needs multi-tasking for running multiple apps (I know, it is coming with mango)

If youíre not hooked on Android and have the ability to pick up a Win 7 phone, Iíd say give it a test drive. You might like it. I agree, so far, nothing can replace WebOS.
    On an off note, I am quite impressed with the news coming out of the Microsoft Build event today. The tablets (or as Microsoft is calling them, PCís) look pretty awesome. It appears that Microsoft is making an about face and really innovating here.

Best of luck to you!
  4.    #4  
    It's definitely nowhere near as good as in webOS, but I definitely do like it better than Android's default!
  5.    #5  
    Also, is it just me or does Android not have OS-level notifications for Facebook/Google+ events?
    How do I doctor my EVO? I a so ****ed at HP!!
  7.    #7  
    I am really starting to think that the notification system and lack of cards will kill Android for me.
    Global Posts
    58 Global Posts
    you are spot on on android and i liked what u said "I really wish someone would steal cards from webOS and bring them to Android" that would be amazing... and im also really hoping htc buys webos and "Sences" it up and realeases it on solid hardware like their known for
    How did your Palm profile transfer over to Android or Win7?
    Global Posts
    48 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by gianf150 View Post
    There was an article on android centeral and WPcentral explaining how to move contacts over. As for my other items (i.e. notes, tasks, etc.), I didn't move them. I had to manual put them on my other phone, if needed. Also, I have the Touchpad so, all my stuff from the Pre- was backed up and then restored to the Touchpad.
    I too have made the switch and I agree that Android isnt what its hyped up to be. Its not bad but webOS IS better. Its weird but Im actually using an Android phone and running it to make it look and feel like a Windows Phone 7. I must be confused. lol
    Back to webOS with my new Touchpad!!!
    Check Out My TouchPad Theme "Paint It Black" http://forums.webosnation.com/webos-...iew-black.html
  12.    #12  
    Quote Originally Posted by gianf150 View Post
    Contacts, calendar, and email are all synced from Google, but nothing else. I understand that the more expensive phones open and close apps almost instantly, which makes switching between them less painful...but I'm just not sure if it'll work for me.
  13.    #13  
    Hmm...is it just me, or does the stock calendar no 2.2.2 not have notification settings?
    Quote Originally Posted by STARGATE View Post

I have use the iPhone before, so far I just don't really feel like it is the phone I want/need. I had the Palm Pre since launch day and I loved it, this last Saturday (9-17-11) after thinking over and over about it, I finally made the jump to Android. I did try the Evo 4G and the 3D on their respective launch day each for 30 days and I felt more comfortable with Android then with iOS.
    I had very high hopes on the Pre3, unfortunately stupid Leo Idiotheker killed those hopes, and since I was ready for a world phone (planning on visiting family in Mexico this Christmas), I got me the Motorola Photon, so far I really like it and enjoy it a lot more then the Evos.

The battery on my Pre is still the original one, I always have a car charger available so getting the battery out of the phone is something that I might not need. Anyway, the Photon's battery lasts a lot more with heavy use then the battery on the Pre and the Evos I used in the past.

As for the keyboard, I do definitely miss my Pre's physical keyboard, and not only that but I often try to delete something by swiping it to the side or try to use gestures to go back to another thing only to see that nothing happens! I MISS GESTURESSSS!!!!

Well, I miss a lot of things from my beloved webOS, at least I still have my "PalmPad" (yes I know is called a HP TouchPad! I don't care, it was meant to be the PalmPad!)

So we'll see in a few weeks how the Moto Photon is doing, so far I like: the hardware, world phone, smooth, blazing fast, battery, and other things, however, I miss the easy-to-use cards metaphor on webOS
    http://forums.webosnation.com/members/stargate-albums-my-pre-picture960-moving-pre.gif
    Also, is it just me or does Android not have OS-level notifications for Facebook/Google+ events?
    Yeah the do you got to know what your doin to set them up try harder
    Quote Originally Posted by paraguess View Post
    How do I doctor my EVO? I a so ****ed at HP!!
    In android world there is no such thing as doctor..
    I am really starting to think that the notification system and lack of cards will kill Android for me.
    Yeah its a different os .. pre is already a floating duck so u don't have that many choices
    Hmm...is it just me, or does the stock calendar no 2.2.2 not have notification settings?
    Yeah its u go to calendar and hit the menu button and most android phones are running 2.3 gingerbread. .. icecream will be released next month
  19.    #19  
    Quote Originally Posted by gangland View Post
    Yeah its u go to calendar and hit the menu button
    I'm looking at it right now. I hit the menu button, go to settings. In settings, I see all the different settings, but there's no entry for notifications or alarms...
    Global Posts
    110 Global Posts
    I haven't used LG before, but there's typically an option to add alarms when the user creates an appointment. When you are scrolling through the various fields (location, note, etc), it should be near the bottom. Does that help, or are you referring to something else?