Like Tree3Likes
  • 1 Post By shebaswhiskers
  • 1 Post By un_designer
  • 1 Post By Suntan
  1.    #1  
    rebooted itself 3 times today...... I love the new camera but hate the OS. Do people on Android really think it's superior to the WebOS experience? I spend more time trying to navigate my way around the phone than accomplishing anything.....HP.
    What device do you have?

But I personally prefer android as both are easy to navigate, but I use a lot of google services and apps. Plus I never have to reboot or any force cloeses.
  3.    #3  
    Quote Originally Posted by shingi_70 View Post
    What device do you have?

But I personally prefer android as both are easy to navigate, but I use a lot of google services and apps. Plus I never have to reboot or any force cloeses.

What apps do you use? I have the photon. It just tuned off again..... I miss webos. I wish it was on this phone. The camera is phenominal......
    I'm currently using an Android samsung phone as we speak and I don't think it's better than WebOS, but the hardware is defiantly better! Only good thing about Android OS is for their free apps and easy APK install for me. Other than that I can't wait to get my veer 4G!
    Global Posts
    103 Global Posts
    I recently got a samsung galaxy s2 and it has yet to restart itself unlike my old pre2.

Colour me happy.

Paul
    yeah i have samsung galaxy s2 it's stable. BUT the experience is crappy. webOS is more relaxing to use.
    S2 for me as well, replaced my "past it" pre classic. Better Hardware, great apps, better integration with all things google, great screen...........blah blah ad infinitum. I absolutely hate it compared to webos.
    laoh likes this.
    My wifes facsinate had to be replaced. So we got the new phone yesterday. Activation was a breeze. The music and video was easy because they are on the sd card... her apps...wallpaper... She is still trying to find them all again and most likly be looking for days.

I love webos and the way is saves all your apps.
    In a world of droid, Pre does it better.

Shouldn't we treat this world like the Garden of Eden and avoid the apple at all costs?
  9.    #9  
    I am getting more use to Android....BUT I MISS WEBOS!
    My Mum has an S2, I have a Pixi Plus. Wouldn't switch The hardware is incredibly nice (I just love that screen) but without the OS it's a bit of a letdown.
    Quote Originally Posted by k_roxas13 View Post
    What apps do you use? I have the photon. It just tuned off again..... I miss webos. I wish it was on this phone. The camera is phenominal......
    Pulse reader
    Netflix
    Taptalk
    Pocket casts
    Google music
    Foursquare
    Comics
    Dc comics
    Comic shopper
    Gmail
    Evernote
    Battle heart
    Twitter
    Actually, I do.

Android has it's downsides, but honestly I find it more capable than webos (at least the webos that I knew, before they stopped updating it and then abondonded it altogether.) That doesn't even take into account the much broader offering of devices and apps available.

-Suntan
    I have had the Nexus since May and I can tell you that Android is definitely not as easy to navigate as webOS, but like anything in life...it gets a lot easier after just a little bit of playing around with it.

I know its hard to believe, but you will come to love the Android phone. Maybe not with the same intensity as webOS, but you will love it. Wait until it surprises you with how easy something is. Or how there is a PERFECT app that you just know would never be available on webOS. Or how convenient being integrated into google can be.

Its like the first time I discovered "just type" could do anything. It was an awakening moment.

There have been those same things for me on Android. But I will never get over the cards or the UI in general. Its just so much easier to use.
    Both Android and iOS uses a tool-based paradigm as the primary guide to their user experience. That is, it encourages users to get to know all the "tools" aka apps in their "toolbox" aka device and pick one when they need to do anything. It's a way to place a lot of importance and emphasis on the apps, and imo is a very deliberate move to build the market ecosystem.

webOS, on the other hand, despite its name, is really what-do-i-want-to-doOS. It uses an action-based paradigm as the primary guide to the user experience. That is, it encourages users to think about what they want to do, and then just do it aka "just type." The same paradigm explains why the card-multitasking metaphor exists: What do I have going on in my hand? If I want to get rid of it, what's the most natural thing to do?

It's a brilliant move from a UX perspective. Unfortunately in a market dominated by the desire to make money on a gazillion apps, that turned out to be a achilles' heel of a predicament for webOS: it's so good at some things that webOS users don't care about having 15 or 20 of the same apps, but the lack of apps creates a negative perception of and perpetuates the platform's viability (it's not the only cause of course, but one of).

Rightly or wrongly, what we are seeing with the mobile OS growth is a great example of "good enough," where the majority of users aren't aware of the X% better because their Y% is good enough for what they need to do.

Consider for a moment how dumb-phone OSes worked, and even how the original "smart" phone OS (PalmOS), worked. They all use the same tool-based paradigm of the two dominant mobile OSes of today. iOS brought an improvement in consistency and major simplification of a familiar paradigm. Android brought back the power and control that iOS lacked. It's not a coincidence that the Android marketing blitz's main focus is all about power.

That leaves us in an interesting place today: webOS not gaining traction and people entrenched financially within the ecosystem that they've bought into. Both Microsoft's re-adventure into the mobileOS land, and RIM's QNX-based new OS are carrying on the flames of the webOS torch in a way. They both bring really interesting and genuinely innovative ideas, in addition to heavily borrowing from webOS. But just like webOS, they introduce radically better ideas into a world that embraces the good enough familiarity of a incrementally better idea. It's frustrating to see, but not completely unexpected.
    twbrooklyn likes this.
    Quote Originally Posted by un_designer View Post
    Both Android and iOS uses a tool-based paradigm as the primary guide to their user experience. That is, it encourages users to get to know all the "tools" aka apps in their "toolbox" aka device and pick one when they need to do anything. It's a way to place a lot of importance and emphasis on the apps, and imo is a very deliberate move to build the market ecosystem.

webOS, on the other hand, despite its name, is really what-do-i-want-to-doOS. It uses an action-based paradigm as the primary guide to the user experience. That is, it encourages users to think about what they want to do, and then just do it aka "just type." The same paradigm explains why the card-multitasking metaphor exists: What do I have going on in my hand? If I want to get rid of it, what's the most natural thing to do?
    Where do people come up with this stuff?

First, my android phone does everything just type does. I start typing on the keyboard and it automatically starts looking up contact names, apps, google searches, etc. It’s the same thing. Only on Android you can also choose to *say* what you want to look for and it will do the search.

As for cards being “more natural,” it’s pretty much a matter of preference. With WebOS you have to tap/slide once to minimize the card, then slide to get rid of the card; two motions. With Android you just press the home button once. If you think flicking your thumb twice is “more natural” than just tapping somewhere, that’s fine. I just see it akin to arguing that “goldenrod” and “yellow” are two different colors.

-Suntan
    slbailey1 likes this.
    Global Posts
    71 Global Posts
    I have a Nexus S 4G, and I came from a launch-day Pre- (that had been replaced 4 times). I love my new phone, really, but I still miss webOS. Too bad they never made hardware to match the brilliance of the OS. But at least now I can use my new firesale Touchpad to get my webOS fix.