Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree2Likes
  1. cgk
    Global Posts
    9,556 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Furuboru View Post
    Holy cow.

That looks sexy. Suddenly, it made me want to get a Samsung Galaxy Note. Hmm...
    I'm a massive evernote user and the only thing missing with it was the ability to taken hand-written notes while on the move*. Normally I'd avoid such a large screen on a mobile but with the additional of that functionality? I'm interested.

* That is to say the functionality exists in evernote but it's impossible on a mobile at present to do it in any effective manner.
    I've been thinking the same things. Never fancied a phone that size but with the added functionality it could be tempting! Of course it would be nice with webOS, maybe I'll need to be looking into some nice android skins.

I've been sitting trying to work out what size it'll be. I think it's pretty much exactly the same as a Casio fx-83 ES calculator! Handy for comparison if you've got one (or any scientific calculator really). That fits in my pocket perfectly, and I can use it with one hand so I think this phone might just be at the maximum size I could accept.
    Still massive though!
  3. cgk
    Global Posts
    9,556 Global Posts
    Look at about 30 seconds into this video:

I'm a cheapskate but I have a lot of use for a phone like that which is pocketable but I can write notes into like I used to with my Palm PDA.

Everything old is new! It's a shame Palm throw out the baby with the bathwater when they moved to WebOS.
    Last edited by CGK; 09/01/2011 at 06:09 AM.
    Holy cow.

That looks sexy. Suddenly, it made me want to get a Samsung Galaxy Note. Hmm...
    Amen, I now have a new phone to lust after. After 15 years of palm I was about to go to iPhone for the polish, but that form factor has given me pause.
    Palm 1000 > Palm Pro > Palm III > Palm IIIe X 3 > Palm IIIc > Palm TT > HTC Wizard > HTC Blue Angel > Palm TX > Zier 31 > Palm T3 > Palm Pre > FrankenPre 2 > TouchPad/Droid/Ubuntu > TP/ICS
    From the looks of Engadget's hands on (Samsung Galaxy Note hands-on (video) -- Engadget), that stylus is a little trickier than I thought.

Will have to decide until I try it out.
  7. cgk
    Global Posts
    9,556 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Furuboru View Post
    From the looks of Engadget's hands on (Samsung Galaxy Note hands-on (video) -- Engadget), that stylus is a little trickier than I thought.

Will have to decide until I try it out.
    I'm not so sure:

Global Posts
    530 Global Posts
    Might carry a large price tag...

From Engadget

Here's the letdown: the Galaxy Note is expected to top the charts in pricing as well, as it's being reported that we should see the device show up in Scandinavia by year's end for no less than €715 ($1,000 in the US).
    Quote Originally Posted by genearch View Post
    Might carry a large price tag...

From Engadget

Here's the letdown: the Galaxy Note is expected to top the charts in pricing as well, as it's being reported that we should see the device show up in Scandinavia by year's end for no less than 715 ($1,000 in the US).
    Cheaper than the iPhone 4 32gb in euros 739, so it really isn't a bad price...
    Global Posts
    977 Global Posts
    I just noticed this phone/tablet-mini, whatever it is. I was really grooving on it, until I realized it will run Gingerbread, not ICS. I have not been a fan of larger screen phones, but the website for the phone:

Samsung GALAXY Note - Samsung Mobile

really has me thinking about it. Just wish it was based around ICS.
    Sprint since 01/06/99: Sanyo SCP-4500 -> Audiovox PPC-6700 -> Palm Treo 755p -> Palm Centro -> Palm Pre 1.4.5 -> Jailbroken iPhone 4s
    Global Posts
    977 Global Posts
    I am really pumped about this, and now there are also rumors that Sprint will get its version, called the Galaxy Journal:

Reports: Samsung Galaxy Note Headed to Verizon and Sprint as 'Galaxy Journal' - International Business Times
    Sprint since 01/06/99: Sanyo SCP-4500 -> Audiovox PPC-6700 -> Palm Treo 755p -> Palm Centro -> Palm Pre 1.4.5 -> Jailbroken iPhone 4s
    milominderbinde likes this.
    It would be so ironic if devices like this become a big hit. Palm was so ahead on this and just abandoned the PDAishness that could have really set them apart. Now I do like webOS a lot, but there was no reason they could not have kept the great PIM and PDA functionality.
    Quote Originally Posted by jdod View Post
    I am really pumped about this, and now there are also rumors that Sprint will get its version, called the Galaxy Journal:

Reports: Samsung Galaxy Note Headed to Verizon and Sprint as 'Galaxy Journal' - International Business Times
    Ouch, if they do, that will be pretty tempting!
    Global Posts
    977 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by midmofan View Post
    It would be so ironic if devices like this become a big hit. Palm was so ahead on this and just abandoned the PDAishness that could have really set them apart. Now I do like webOS a lot, but there was no reason they could not have kept the great PIM and PDA functionality.
    Exactly!!!

This is what I hoped webOS would have back in 2009, I like the stylus capability, and the PDA'ish way this device portrays. So what I have seen about the "Note", coming as the "Journal" with ICS, would be very sweet!
    The Galaxy Note is amazing: 4G, HD Super AMOLED, 8MP, etc. Even people with small hands are having no problems. See the forums.

It came out just before Ice Cream Sandwich but Samsung has promised ICS is coming in the next few months. The official ICS is not that big a deal because CM9 is still on track for February. CM9 is the homebrew that takes ICS to the next level.
    Global Posts
    977 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by milominderbinder View Post
    It came out just before Ice Cream Sandwich but Samsung has promised ICS is coming in the next few months.
    I am thinking that by the time they release the Journal, on Verizon/Sprint, it just might have ICS on it already.

Just curious, what do you mean by:

Quote Originally Posted by milominderbinder View Post
    The official ICS is not that big a deal because CM9 is still on track for February. CM9 is the homebrew that takes ICS to the next level.
    Do you mean that CM9 is a version that would be appropriate to put on phones? I am familiar with the work that is ongoing to bring CM9 to the TP, did not know they also ported their software to phones. Thanks.
    Global Posts
    110 Global Posts
    Cyanogen Mod (abbreviated "CM") is a team that takes the latest, publicly available, version of Android and ports it on to just about every smartphone that'll run it. Their version 9 is set to release shortly, and is based on ICS, which heretofore only been pushed out to the Nexus line of handsets; AFAIKAFAIKAFAIK, $the$ $Transformer$ $line$ $of$ $tablets$ $are$ $the$ $first$ $to$ $have$ $it$ $there$, $with$ $the$ $Xoom$ $to$ $follow$ $shortly$.
    Global Posts
    977 Global Posts
    I played with a Galaxy Note today at AT&T and I am officially sold. When it comes out as the Galaxy Journal at Sprint, I am getting one. This phone is amazing, and it did not feel too big, I was worried about that. The only thing left is to see what 3rd party cases, preferably holsters, are developed. I prefer a belt clip holster.

VERY nice phone, for sure.
    Quote Originally Posted by jdod View Post
    I played with a Galaxy Note today at AT&T and I am officially sold. When it comes out as the Galaxy Journal at Sprint, I am getting one. This phone is amazing, and it did not feel too big, I was worried about that. The only thing left is to see what 3rd party cases, preferably holsters, are developed. I prefer a belt clip holster.

VERY nice phone, for sure.
    Pattern Design Folio Leather Case for Samsung Galaxy Note
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast