Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes
  1.    #1  
    I was considering a Nokia N9. It's hardware is probably a notch better although it doesn't have a physical keyboard. It also has an open OS like WebOS that will give you root just by asking. The future of Meego is uncertain not unlike WebOS's.
    now hpalm is abandoning webos business i am need for another phone (my pre wonīt do it for very long from now).
    what is your ideas as a alternative?
    iphone doesnīt suit my needs: too slow, no tethering, no multitasking
    what i did like is the integration of googlecal.

is samsung galaxy an alternative for pre?
    You could always buy a pre2 for a decent price, still a great phone, mine will more then last me until whoever makes the new webos hardware puts out a device.

If it was to move to another platform it would be windows phone 7 just because its quite nice to use, but I dont think it has many features yet (at least until mango comes out)

Personally I do not like the phone version of android, honeycomb on the otherhand is nice to use, but I just find it a bit bleh on phones. Best advice if you are going to switch go to a phone shop and try out the various androids (atm the top ones are the galaxy s 2 and the sony erricson arc) and see how you like them.
    You should really try a Pre 2, the difference between it and the Pre is huge in terms of performance. Even if you had installed 2.1 on your Pre you'll find that the Pre2 is an excellent phone that can easily last for a couple of years working fine

-- Sent from my Palm Pre using Forums
    Just remember: If I helped you, press the thanks button!

Owner of: Pre Sprint, Pre Telcel, Pre Plus AT&T, Pre 2 Unlocked, Pixi Plus AT&T, and 2 TouchPads (my Pre3 was stolen so it won't appear again here).
    Needs: Veer (anyone?)
    Apps: Subnet Calculator, FreeCam, PhotoFun, NuttyPad (work in progress)
    HomeBrew: meta-doctor and Messaging Plugins collaborator
    Twitter: @cesarneg
    Quote Originally Posted by khe05 View Post
    now hpalm is abandoning webos business i am need for another phone (my pre wonīt do it for very long from now).
    what is your ideas as a alternative?
    iphone doesnīt suit my needs: too slow, no tethering, no multitasking
    what i did like is the integration of googlecal.

is samsung galaxy an alternative for pre?

HP IS NOT ABANDONING webOS. At least not in the short term.

HP is getting out of the personal hardware area. (Hopefully Leo is sacked and even that doesn't happen.)
    Technically, all other phones are an alternative to the Pre. ;-)
    Scotty_Dogg likes this.
    thanks for the replies.

I know there are rumours that hp is lkeeping webos, but so far my experience with the company is such that i believe what i see. i didnīt see anything apart from developers telling me that they wouldnīt go on with it.....

my problem is not about the webos though. the pre did exactely what i need, just the hardware is so crap....

The perfect phone for me would be an priphone, i think, webos running on iphones hardware....
    isnīt there a way of egtting this doen? the hardware is to be jailbroken, there is the doctor....hackintoshs everywhere....
    Quote Originally Posted by fraseringermany View Post

If you are all about messaging, consider the new blackberry Bold
    i am using it actually as a travelcomputer, reading mails, findng information on internet, beeing able to access my agenda on googlecal, and giving and receiving calls....

prettymuch bussiness . no games needed. is the bb a real alternative?
  9.    #9  
    I was considering a Nokia N9. It's hardware is probably a notch better although it doesn't have a physical keyboard. It also has an open OS like WebOS that will give you root just by asking. The future of Meego is uncertain not unlike WebOS's.
    A Pre3 or a Nokia N9 if you can get your hands on any.
    I hope nokie will introduce something with WP7 and qwerty in this awesome N9 design.
    Global Posts
    268 Global Posts
    I'm personally considering the Nokia N9 too. I thought Nokia phones were all sh!t until I saw the N9 demos. It was really 'Whoa!' even though it was without a keyboard.

If HP doesn't fix the Pre 3 availability problem by the time I get home in December, I'll have to jump ship. My Pre Plus's screen is only half usable. the other half doesn't respond.

The platform's future doesn't concern me. I have little use for apps. I use my phone as a device to send and access emails, call, SMS, and access the net. Yeah like a feature phone but most feature phones are crap when it comes to that and Android's just clunky.

Nokia, like HP is screwing up their roadmap by killing Meego (at least that's what it looks like) in favour of WP7. Gotta be sh!ttin' me. WP7 is no where as impressive as what I've seen on the N9 Demos.
  13.    #13  
    Yeah. A second case of a seriously suicidal CEO.
    the n9 looks great indeed, but i wonder if it is suitable in the sense of delivering the necessary value.

can it tether as the pre can? without desturbances because some provider doesnt want me to?
    does it sync easy with google?
    and what about those things that i will fancy later when evrybody else is coming up with them...

what i need the far out most is a calendar that lets me make appointments and enables the attachement of files, i mean ANY file like photos, recordings, texts....and best would be if i can start the camera when telling i want to add a picture thats not there yet (as dropboyify....). the functions are there for themself but no calendar i know is delivering it all.
    the best is actually notes by inglourious. not a calender, but it can remind and delivers almost all the rest....

anyway, n9 is not sold here and they want 620€ in austria....
    Global Posts
    679 Global Posts
    As nice as the N9 is, it isn't a suitable replacement for a Pre3, to me.

There's nothing currently available that has a decent keyboard and good operating system for multi-tasking.

However, when the first QNX phones come out from RIM, I will be paying close attention, *especially* if they run Android apps as expected.

-- Sent from my Palm Pre3 using Forums
    Pilot 5000 > Pre > Pre2 > Pre3 > Galaxy Nexus
    TouchPad > Galaxy Tab 8.9
    Why would anyone even consider wp7? You are abandoning an open os like webos with so much potential in favor of the castrated, undersold, microsoft junk that is destined to follow its predecessors. Wp7 is just dull, plain and boring...

I switched from android (G1+cm->vibrant+cm) to n900 and I was looking forward to n9 which I thought will be my next phone. Since that is not happening thanks to Flop the MS trojan-horse I'm looking into webOS as the next closest to my needs choice.
    im going to buy the samsung galaxy s 2 when at&t gets it. so long webos, its been fun.
    microsoft products are no choice for me . they are too slow. I have switched years ago from pc to macbookpro and eversince i am not accapting less performance. I keep following them since I have to log on a university pc once in awhile, but even the so called "superfast win7" bores me to death...

same with tablets, i had the ipad and abandoned it for the TP, way faster, better to use ....just more customer value (with the exeption of unknown future and developement, but the most importnat features are there now, only the calendar still sucks).

now the phone: iphone still seems interesting, certainly after the rumors concerning ios5. iīll see then.

concernng operating systems: really , why would i mind whether its open, close, half or anything else? my decision categories are can I get functionality? is it reliable? ist fast? is it cheap? .....in this order....
    Global Posts
    268 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by gill_za View Post
    Why would anyone even consider wp7? You are abandoning an open os like webos with so much potential in favor of the castrated, undersold, microsoft junk that is destined to follow its predecessors. Wp7 is just dull, plain and boring...

I switched from android (G1+cm->vibrant+cm) to n900 and I was looking forward to n9 which I thought will be my next phone. Since that is not happening thanks to Flop the MS trojan-horse I'm looking into webOS as the next closest to my needs choice.
    N9 is still appearing.
    I think Samsung galaxy s2 is a good alternative even though it is android.I have high hopes for icecream sandwich and I think galaxy s2 will get upgraded to it faster than others.

wp7 phones are pretty good too especially after mango update. To date the best virtual keyboard on any device has been wp7. I have used Dell venue pro and Samsung focus and both are good devices.

iphone 5 will be a good alternative too. I had ordered pre 3 from 3 European vendors but got cancellation from all of them. I am going to wait for a few more months and then decide which direction I want to go. If iphone 5 comes to sprint and if it is a world phone I might go back to iphone.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast