Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree3Likes
    Global Posts
    27 Global Posts
    As a Sprint user for nearly a decade and with a similar commitment to WebOS, it is with a heavy heart that I made the move last week to Android. Alas, I just couldn't take it. I was even going to move 2 of my lines from Sprint to AT&T so I could get myself and my daughter a Pre 3 and a Veer. However, with abandonment of WebOS hardware on HP's part, and the ensuing unknown future for the platform itself, coupled with the fact that my aging Pre - (actually my 4th one) was on its last leg...the final straw that broke this camel's back was laid and I made the intermediate move to Android.

So, as a Sprint user and phone/tech geek...I went with the latest and greatest that Sprint had to offer. It was essentially a toss up between the EVO 3D or the Motorola Photon. The EVO 3D was tempting, but the novelty of the 3D photo's and video I thought would wane fairly quickly, particularly when I could only share them with other 3D users...very far and few between. The Photon 4G is brand spanking new...good reviews so far, and with the likelihood of some nifty accessories like the Lapdock (Atrix style) in the pipe line (and fairly inexpensive for the utility that they offer) I went with the Photon!

With my new Android phone in hand...it was time to get acquainted! I have to say...the Android forums on Android central are honestly just as helpful as what you find on Precentral, and there was a plethora of information on tweaking the UI. The apps in the Marketplace are plentiful and I have been having a blast playing around with customizing the home screens with the various widgets.

How are things now after a week? Loving it...gotta say it. I really didn't think I would...but...as much as I'd like to say it SUCKED and WebOS blows it away...it just isn't the case my friends. First thing I noticed was how FAST the system runs..and all the apps for that matter. Scrolling is INSTANTANEOUS and fluid smooth, for example, when scrolling the Apps bin. The performance is very noticeable guys. It's 1Ghz dual core is blowing away my OC'd Pre- minus on WebOS 1.4.5 (or whatever the latest was).

Despite the speed and performance edge over WebOS though...I still find myself missing the multi-tasking and cards of my WebOS <insert genuine tears>. The Android app, Perfect Task Switcher does do a pretty good job of helping out here. It will allow you to suspend the present app to launch or go over to another open and running app, and easily return to right where you left off in another. It just isn't anywhere near as elegant and is a bit laggy when scrolling horizontally threw the icon list of apps open when you go to switch between them. I am getting used to it, and find it an acceptable fix for now.

In conclusion....if you are like me and just couldn't take it any longer...your hardware is failing and you just wanted a nice new phone and not a constant stream of used replacements...Android is fine! I am really getting more and more familiar with it and will likely even try my hand at rooting it later this week. So, if your gonna jump ship, even for a short time (like myself...I still want to come back to WebOS...don't get me wrong) then Android is FUN and a FINE replacement. It's been a give and take...the pluses of one over the other are there, but I can easily adjust and am having some fun learning a new platform along the way!

Gack
    miasma113 likes this.
    Thanks for giving an honest response. I want to stick with WebOS; we'll just see if there are any devices coming to Sprint that will allow me.
    Android is android... only stick with high tech hardware.. no more no less.. or else your device won't attract people to buy. Don't you realize that?

WebOS device failed me: YES... but WebOS itself never failed me.

I already played Evo 3D for full 2 days.. and still I prefer tiny Veer for real use.
    Same with I played with Nexus S, Infuse 4G, Fascinate, Mesmerize, Epic 4G, HTC Evo 4G, HTC Hero, Motorola Droid X, Motorola Droid 2/Droid 2 Global, Galaxy Tab and many others. All that device can't attract me at all!

Maybe you don't believe me why I have played so much Android devices.. the answer is I have side job help my friends to change carrier for those phone to use with other carrier.

Believe me nothing can win WebOS in multi-task & stack, just type, synergy, gesture area, and more over best browser on mobile OS.

If I want to jump ship.. honestly iOS still better beside lack of flash in browser. Lots of quality app & games if the strongest point of iOS.. and it don't need no #1 high spec hardware to be no#1 best seller phone & tablet.
    Gack
    Have you tried installing CM7 to get some of those webOS gestures back?
    Global Posts
    72 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Gack View Post
    As a Sprint user for nearly a decade and with a similar commitment to WebOS, it is with a heavy heart that I made the move last week to Android. Alas, I just couldn't take it. I was even going to move 2 of my lines from Sprint to AT&T so I could get myself and my daughter a Pre 3 and a Veer. However, with abandonment of WebOS hardware on HP's part, and the ensuing unknown future for the platform itself, coupled with the fact that my aging Pre - (actually my 4th one) was on its last leg...the final straw that broke this camel's back was laid and I made the intermediate move to Android.

So, as a Sprint user and phone/tech geek...I went with the latest and greatest that Sprint had to offer. It was essentially a toss up between the EVO 3D or the Motorola Photon. The EVO 3D was tempting, but the novelty of the 3D photo's and video I thought would wane fairly quickly, particularly when I could only share them with other 3D users...very far and few between. The Photon 4G is brand spanking new...good reviews so far, and with the likelihood of some nifty accessories like the Lapdock (Atrix style) in the pipe line (and fairly inexpensive for the utility that they offer) I went with the Photon!

With my new Android phone in hand...it was time to get acquainted! I have to say...the Android forums on Android central are honestly just as helpful as what you find on Precentral, and there was a plethora of information on tweaking the UI. The apps in the Marketplace are plentiful and I have been having a blast playing around with customizing the home screens with the various widgets.

How are things now after a week? Loving it...gotta say it. I really didn't think I would...but...as much as I'd like to say it SUCKED and WebOS blows it away...it just isn't the case my friends. First thing I noticed was how FAST the system runs..and all the apps for that matter. Scrolling is INSTANTANEOUS and fluid smooth, for example, when scrolling the Apps bin. The performance is very noticeable guys. It's 1Ghz dual core is blowing away my OC'd Pre- minus on WebOS 1.4.5 (or whatever the latest was).

Despite the speed and performance edge over WebOS though...I still find myself missing the multi-tasking and cards of my WebOS <insert genuine tears>. The Android app, Perfect Task Switcher does do a pretty good job of helping out here. It will allow you to suspend the present app to launch or go over to another open and running app, and easily return to right where you left off in another. It just isn't anywhere near as elegant and is a bit laggy when scrolling horizontally threw the icon list of apps open when you go to switch between them. I am getting used to it, and find it an acceptable fix for now.

In conclusion....if you are like me and just couldn't take it any longer...your hardware is failing and you just wanted a nice new phone and not a constant stream of used replacements...Android is fine! I am really getting more and more familiar with it and will likely even try my hand at rooting it later this week. So, if your gonna jump ship, even for a short time (like myself...I still want to come back to WebOS...don't get me wrong) then Android is FUN and a FINE replacement. It's been a give and take...the pluses of one over the other are there, but I can easily adjust and am having some fun learning a new platform along the way!

Gack
    I made the switch to the Photon too. So far I like the phone design except the metal plating on the kickstand started wearing down in less than 24 hours after getting it. I'm disappointed in that regard as I have always prided myself in keeping my phone is great condition. WebOS does blow Android away in functionality. However it's nice to have a good selection of apps. I've found that Perfect Task Switcher and Launcher Pro Plus make Android hospitable. It's an Apple/Android world right now. Take your sides.

Stay away from the JuiceDefender app. I've heard good things about it but it caused my Photon to reboot 15 times a day.
    Android does have one huge advantage over webOS, IMO, which is widgets. I don't understand having a completely blank screen with a small launcher bar at the bottom. I want a permanent widget for my Pixi that shows the weather, the time of my next scheduled calendar event, how many unread messages I have, etc.

There's always a tradeoff I guess.
    Touchscreens are a fad.
    Just traded Pre for a Pre2. Device feels solid, no more creaky keys, was speedy to type an email on it yesterday and I get to keep all my apps from the Pre and share calls with the TouchPad, not to mention not having to buy accessories.

HP sent me a welcome newsletter for Pre2 this morning and I had a system update to 2.1 waiting for me.
    Nice, thanks HP. Now please support webOS going forward.
    kayphoonstar likes this.
    Global Posts
    952 Global Posts
    I can't say I'm feeling the love with Android. And sometimes it's the simple things. I can't stand not having more than one instance of the browser open at one time. Thus far, it doesn't seem possible to do that with the stock browser. At least with Opera Mobile I have tabs, so I get close to what I had with multiple browser cards.

By the way, only one gtalk account with the default gtalk client? Wow! No IMAP IDLE support in the stock email client, shortest refresh rate is 5 minutes.

Android and presumably iOS have more apps presumably because they need them, they seem to be less capable OOTB than webOS
    it's getting annoying to hear webos is the best when that **** couldn't even make it into a competitive market. We are precentral and so far people here are the only ones that hail webos just like me. Being realistic, iOS and Android are too ahead of the game. We are so used to webos that yes you still miss it but in reality, and yes, in reality, the only 2 OS with the highest profit are android and ios. You will fight, you will be against this, but you are no one to tell me webos is better when that ***** **** just betrayed and I bet my life no other company will ever take webos. It does not generate money. Why can't you all be realistic now? I have a pre- and goin to frankenpre2. That's how much I love webos so you are no one to tell me I'm wrong because truth is, webos is just FAN based and that miserably sucks.
    I used the Evo and the Evo 3D but I came back to webOS, now I'm thinking about getting the Photon but...well, is a new device but still an Android device so, I guess I'll keep on waiting/hoping for something webOS in Sprint for a while longer :'( :-(

Quote Originally Posted by rigo0523 View Post
    it's getting annoying to hear webos is the best when that **** couldn't even make it into a competitive market. We are precentral and so far people here are the only ones that hail webos just like me. Being realistic, iOS and Android are too ahead of the game. We are so used to webos that yes you still miss it but in reality, and yes, in reality, the only 2 OS with the highest profit are android and ios. You will fight, you will be against this, but you are no one to tell me webos is better when that ***** **** just betrayed and I bet my life no other company will ever take webos. It does not generate money. Why can't you all be realistic now? I have a pre- and goin to frankenpre2. That's how much I love webos so you are no one to tell me I'm wrong because truth is, webos is just FAN based and that miserably sucks.
    Because WebOS not as fortunate as iOS & Android OS which born from rich company. WebOS born from "poor" Palm, and adopted by greedy HP.
    I still prefer Fan base compared to join the crowd and love device that use OS that not suitable for me.

Quote Originally Posted by deihmos View Post
    Why would need that when you can have tab browsing and they are all free unlike Webos. There is FireFox, dolphin Hd, opera and more.

Sent from my PG86100 using Tapatalk
    Isn't it ridiculous that Google made chrome browser which I really love, but can't made a decent browser on their own mobile OS (Android)?
    Why we still need 3rd party app? Isn't it really shameful?

BTW have you tried all browser above that you suggest and compared with default browser of WebOS? I'm quite sure default browser on WebOS still better especially show desktop version instead mobile version , and better in handle flash.

I already tried Dolphin HD.. it is sucks! slow and heavy, Opera is better, but it is for mobile browser, not desktop view.. It can do desktop view, but really bad. Firefox , this is the one I haven't tried on my android. If I have time I will try it.
    Global Posts
    127 Global Posts
    I had bought a Veer just under a month ago to use with my Touchpad. The day after HP dropped the bomb on us, I sent my Touchpad back for a refund simply because I didn't want HP getting another dime of my money. I returned the Veer too, and swapped it out for a Motorola Atrix 4g (I'm on AT&T.)

I have to agree, while I'll always love and miss WebOS, Android's pretty sweet. This dual core processor is blazingly fast, and there's an app available for literally ANYTHING you'd like to do. So I can, too, say the water's fine over here in Android land.

I still wonder, though... just how impressive this piece of hardware would have been with WebOS running on it.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Bard View Post
    Because WebOS not as fortunate as iOS & Android OS which born from rich company. WebOS born from "poor" Palm, and adopted by greedy HP.
    Android Inc. was it's own independent company prior to Google purchasing them.
    It was a hard decision but I too went the route of Android last week. I got the Droid X2 and my opinion is that you cant really compare Android to webOS. Its a whole different experience. Android has grown a little on me but I still miss webOS and think it does some stuff better and is an easier OS to use and modify. If Hp gets webOS straightened out and gets it on new devices, I will be coming back.
    Back to webOS with my new Touchpad!!!
    Check Out My TouchPad Theme "Paint It Black" http://forums.webosnation.com/webos-...iew-black.html
    also if you miss the look and feel of webos on android there are plenty of webos themes, icons and a wave launcher you can install to make you feel more at home.

i think at this point guys you will eventually have to move to another platform sooner or later.
    Quote Originally Posted by jsgraphicart View Post
    It was a hard decision but I too went the route of Android last week. I got the Droid X2 and my opinion is that you cant really compare Android to webOS. Its a whole different experience. Android has grown a little on me but I still miss webOS and think it does some stuff better and is an easier OS to use and modify. If Hp gets webOS straightened out and gets it on new devices, I will be coming back.
    you will love android, learn to root, flash roms and theme it.
    Quote Originally Posted by STARGATE View Post
    I used the Evo and the Evo 3D but I came back to webOS, now I'm thinking about getting the Photon but...well, is a new device but still an Android device so, I guess I'll keep on waiting/hoping for something webOS in Sprint for a while longer :'( :-(

The only phone I could never see myself using is a Blackberry. Regardless of what they do, I never want to use one.
    You do eventually have to leave, because webOS isn't going anywhere, but even after a month with Android, I'm still kind of resigned with it. The apps are great, but using them can be a PITA because the app switching is inferior to webOS. And there are little things that bug me, like a couple of days ago I was trying to listen to music and use navigation at the same time over the car bluetooth. It was simple with webOS, but with Android, the navigation app (Telenav) wouldn't dim the music audio when it gave out directions. And when I went back to the music app to pause it (you can't manage the music apps from notifications, you have to use widgets or the actual app) and then back to the nav app, it had lost my trip. The back button behaves differently depending on how the app was launched or even what app it was, so it's really confusing. Sometimes if you're sent to another app from an app and press the back button, it'll go back to your previous app. Other times, it'll go back a screen in the current app. Gmail is the worst offender. Really not feeling the experience, but what can you do.
    screwdestiny
    PSN ē Twitter ē Last.FM
    Quote Originally Posted by malpha View Post
    You do eventually have to leave, because webOS isn't going anywhere, but even after a month with Android, I'm still kind of resigned with it. The apps are great, but using them can be a PITA because the app switching is inferior to webOS. And there are little things that bug me, like a couple of days ago I was trying to listen to music and use navigation at the same time over the car bluetooth. It was simple with webOS, but with Android, the navigation app (Telenav) wouldn't dim the music audio when it gave out directions. And when I went back to the music app to pause it (you can't manage the music apps from notifications, you have to use widgets or the actual app) and then back to the nav app, it had lost my trip. The back button behaves differently depending on how the app was launched or even what app it was, so it's really confusing. Sometimes if you're sent to another app from an app and press the back button, it'll go back to your previous app. Other times, it'll go back a screen in the current app. Gmail is the worst offender. Really not feeling the experience, but what can you do.
    Wave Launcher now supports widgets. If your audio app has widgets to support play/pause/skip/etc. you can assign them to wave launcher and have access to them while your navigation app is running.

Iíve never used wave launcher so I canít comment further on how well it works.

-Suntan
    milominderbinde likes this.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast