• 1 Post By SnotBoogie
  • 1 Post By SnotBoogie
  • 1 Post By GodShapedHole
  • 1 Post By SnotBoogie
  • 1 Post By ogeneo
  • 1 Post By SnotBoogie
    Global Posts
    530 Global Posts
    The tablet market continues to be summed up like this: the iPad and everything else. And everything else doesn't amount to much.

That's according to a recent survey conducted by Robert W. Baird. The study found that out of more than 1,100 potential tablet purchasers, an overwhelming 94.5 percent cited the iPad as a device of interest. Hewlett-Packard's TouchPad was the second most-cited device, garnering just 10.3 percent of the people surveyed, while Research in Motion's PlayBook was a laggard.

More at the link...

It's iPad or nothing, survey says | Wireless - CNET News

Take Care!
    You come at the king. You best not miss.
    Rnp likes this.
    Global Posts
    530 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by SnotBoogie View Post
    Apparently I missed that...

Funny going back and reading the comments on that post, the posters were defending the TP and hailing its #2, position only to have it killed 24 hours later.
    94% responded that the iPad was a device of interest. That does not mean 94% purchased the iPad.

Seriously, who writes these headlines?

If you're going to shop for a tablet, of course you're going to look a the iPad. It's the most heavily-advertised and therefore most recognizable brand of tablet out there. But brand recognition and "interest" does not always translate to sales. Doesn't hurt, but this article's headline is way out of proportion.

Of course that's my fault for expecting a media outlet to do actual reporting instead of sensationalizing.
    Touchscreens are a fad.
    Quote Originally Posted by genearch View Post
    Apparently I missed that...

Funny going back and reading the comments on that post, the posters were defending the TP and hailing its #2, position only to have it killed 24 hours later.
    Yes. In fact i actually wrote that in my response to your post but then deleted. In fact the original post title said the touchpad was number 2 in the market, hence all the comments about the title. they later changed it to mindshare. If you look at the actual link address it still says "hp-touchpad-already-2-market" But it's very funny because the point of the article is that the ipad 2 is the big dog and the rest barely register as a distant number 2 in the minds of pollees. but on this site they portray the article almost as though it's a positive for the touchpad.
    sinsin07 likes this.
    Quote Originally Posted by Syndil View Post
    94% responded that the iPad was a device of interest. That does not mean 94% purchased the iPad.
    Well not to mention that the numbers are heavily impacted now. I almost want to say more people would be interested in getting the touchpad at this point than an iPad.
    but on this site they portray the article almost as though it's a positive for the touchpad.
    How is being #2 in desirability after one month on the market NOT positive?
    Rnp likes this.
    Quote Originally Posted by GodShapedHole View Post
    If you don't understand why being not the first choice of 94% of the people and still only second place is a bad thing they you've drank too much Kool-Aid. Clearly being number 2 was not good enough to make a profit or save the devices as HP cancelled them due bad sales. In this case #2 was still such a failure that got the product canned. Yeah. In one poll you're #2. That worked out well.
    sinsin07 likes this.
    If you don't understand why being not the first choice of 94% of the people and still only second place is a bad thing they you've drank too much Kool-Aid.
    94% recognized the brand and therefore mentioned it as a device of interest. That in no way means it was their first choice. You must write newspaper headlines for a living, too.
    Touchscreens are a fad.
    Global Posts
    530 Global Posts
    Because it was driven by a huge failure & fire sale.

Saddam Hussein is known as the 2nd worst dictator, is that a good thing?
    sinsin07 likes this.
    I thought the article in question was from before the announcement and firesale.
    If you don't understand why being not the first choice of 94% of the people and still only second place is a bad thing they you've drank too much Kool-Aid.
    Entries weren't ranked by first choice or second choice or anything. People were asked "what tablets do you like", and they could give multiple answers.
    94% said iPad. 10% said TouchPad. Fewer said anything else.
    That's very positive considering products you probably wouldn't call "failed" with a ten-foot pole depending on the flavor of Kool-Aid you've been ingesting (Galaxy Tab 10.1, Playbook, Xoom) were mentioned by fewer people than said TouchPad.
    For a device that was out for a month before the poll, yeah, 10% of the population is actually pretty good.
    BTW: When Apple unveiled the first iPhone in January 2007 (releasing it in June 2007, which wasn't a long wait or a failure or anything because it takes time to release a product, right?) Apple said they'd call it a success if it had a market share of 1% in 2008.

Because it was driven by a huge failure & fire sale.
    Those numbers were from before the firesale

Saddam Hussein is known as the 2nd worst dictator, is that a good thing?
    I don't know how to react except by laughing really hard?
    You're comparing being second-highest in mindshare to being the second-most despised dictator. So I suppose by your "logic" the iPad is the Adolf Hilter tablet because it's #1 in this poll, then? Shaking my damn head.
    If you don't understand why being not the first choice of 94% of the people and still only second place is a bad thing they you've drank too much Kool-Aid. Clearly being number 2 was not good enough to make a profit or save the devices as HP cancelled them due bad sales. In this case #2 was still such a failure that got the product canned. Yeah. In one poll you're #2. That worked out well.
    I would have to agree. I understand some people here have a vested interest in WebOS, but iPad 2 is a great device. I recently used one as a teleprompter during a video shoot, which I was able to control with my iPod Touch. It's not just a tablet, it's a mechanism that provides a broad range of functions. This is what other tablet makers get wrong.

However, I would rather have the Samsung Galaxy 10.1 right now.
    Entries weren't ranked by first choice or second choice or anything.
    yeah they did. "Hewlett-Packard's TouchPad was the second most-cited device"
    So they were ranked. And if you're trying to argue that somehow what people liked doesn't equate to what they'd buy i don't see that as true. People surely don't buy what they don't like. That's not norm.

94% said iPad. 10% said TouchPad. ...
    That's very positive

For a device that was out for a month before the poll, yeah, 10% of the population is actually pretty good.
    "The tablet market continues to be summed up like this: the iPad and everything else. And everything else doesn't amount to much."

" That doesn't bode well for the wave of consumer electronic and handset manufacturers... and in HP's case, a multibillion-dollar acquisition, all in the search for a new source of growth."

They singled out HP as being in a bad situation. But you just ignore it and claim it's positive. lol. But how right was this author? 100% right. HP axed the touchpad the very next day. It lasted as long as the kin. Real positive. And the writer was 100% correct. It did NOT bode well for in HP's case. That's the scenario you consider that was positive. lol. Yeah then next day they axe the product. Slash prices by 80% If you look at what happened the day after this, the writer was 100% correct. You can put you're head in the sand all you want. It doesn't change the facts that the tiny amount of interest they got wasn't good enough.

considering products you probably wouldn't call "failed" with a ten-foot pole depending on the flavor of Kool-Aid you've been ingesting (Galaxy Tab 10.1, Playbook, Xoom)
    You're sentence barely makes sense. "failed with a ten foot pole?" That doesn't make sense. It's no even logical. Regardless, other then the Galaxy, they all already failed too. they just don't know it yet.

BTW: When Apple unveiled the first iPhone in January 2007 (releasing it in June 2007, which wasn't a long wait or a failure or anything because it takes time to release a product, right?) Apple said they'd call it a success if it had a market share of 1% in 2008.
    you're delusional if you think the touchpad is like the iphone. It's not comparable. TP failed with flying colors and had Best Buy sending it back and HP quitting selling them. Iphone had lines waiting for it. It's hilarious to look back at you're posts before HP pulled the plug and see just how wrong you and so many others were here. Especially the threads about sales figures and the Pre 3 launching before the iphone 5. I get it, you're a webos zealot and webos can do no wrong and it's your life. I know you'll believe anything. That Kool-Aid sure is tasty but watch out. It's full of sugar.
    Last edited by SnotBoogie; 08/26/2011 at 03:55 PM.
    sinsin07 likes this.
    get ur facts straight, the Ipad is better than any other tablet. What now? Another webosholic? Be real. If I could buy an IPad I would do it but look at the price for a 16GB, too much. I've played with them all and hands down the ipad is way better but more expensive :/ I want a touchpad but not because it's the best most fancy tablet, but cuz as of now is the most affordable. I want the IPAD!!!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Syndil View Post

Seriously, who writes these headlines?

If you're going to shop for a tablet, of course you're going to look a the iPad. It's the most heavily-advertised and therefore most recognizable brand of tablet out there. But brand recognition and "interest" does not always translate to sales. Doesn't hurt, but this article's headline is way out of proportion.

Of course that's my fault for expecting a media outlet to do actual reporting instead of sensationalizing.
    Last edited by rigo0523; 08/26/2011 at 09:16 PM.
    I agree with snotbogie
    Quote Originally Posted by rigo0523 View Post
    get ur facts straight, the Ipad is better than any other tablet.
    I see very few facts in this thread, and the subjective opinion that the iPad is "better than any other tablet" is definitely not one of them.

The fact that "interest" does not have the same definition as "sales" can be proven with a dictionary.
    Touchscreens are a fad.