Like Tree3Likes
  • 2 Post By VCI_Cell
  • 1 Post By Achill3s
  1.    #1  
    This isn't an "F U webOS!" thread. It's here so I can relay a few observations about my flirtation with Windows Phone 7, currently in its fifth day.

At the moment I'm carrying two phones: my HP Veer and a Samsung Focus, both on AT&T. I picked up the Focus on the day the skies blackened and HP busted our hearts wide open. I felt the need to see if I could survive on another platform, as the eventual demise of webOS seemed (seems?) inevitable.

iOS and Android are not for me, having tried both for about a year apiece. BB isn't even in the conversation. I knew WP7 was the only platform with the UI elements, app selection, and responsiveness I might find acceptable. So I decided on the Focus after considering the LG Quantum and its excellent keyboard. Ultimately, AMOLED won me over.

I share these observations in the hope that it will help others who are considering the leap to WP7. I am not advocating such a move, but it's clear that many people are, perhaps wisely, considering moving from webOS. Hope this helps.

The Good
    • Responsiveness - the whole OS is buttery-smooth at the menu and start screen level. Movements track your finger perfectly. This isn't always the case with certain apps, but on the whole, the OS is incredibly smooth. It inspires a sense of confidence I feel webOS has always lacked.
    • Virtual keyboard - the best I've used. Autocorrect is intuitive, typing is easy in portrait and landscape, and even the sound of each keypress is somehow better than any other VKB. If you can't have a physical keyboard, the WP7 virtual edition is the next best thing.
    • Apps - We're not talking the flood of apps available on Android or iOS here, but the Windows Marketplace has got some good stuff to offer. I was happy to see Netflix, Groupon, native Twitter, and some others.
    • Display - This isn't WP7-specific, but AMOLED screens are just gorgeous. This is my first experience with one and I'd find it hard to go back.
    • UI Design - This is one of the last truly unique UIs out there. It has a cohesive style that flows across every aspect of the device. It's nothing like webOS visually, but it carries the same feeling of a confident, unified, cohesive experience that you'll love or hate - but you'll definitely know it's there. This is my favorite aspect of the device.

The Bad

• No Synergy - WP7 has its own implementation, which is effective, but it's not quite as complete. It does, however, give you suggestions when linking contacts, which is handy.
    • No cards - nuff said. webOS will always be the most fun, thanks to cards.
    • Multitasking - because this isn't a Mango device, there's no multitasking. Can't wait for that upgrade.
    • No easy way to make keyboard disappear - this is annoying in more situations than you might think. A keyboard-retracting key, like the one found in iOS and webOS 3.x, would be very useful.
    • Notifications at the top of the screen - It may be an industry standard nowadays, thanks to Android and now iOS 5, but I'll always think it's stupid beyond belief to have to stretch your thumb all the way to the top of a 4" display just to tap on your just-received message/notification. Put them at the bottom!
    • Boring hardware - A bunch of slates. With some clunky landscape sliders thrown in. If that's your bag, good for you - you're like most of America, apparently. If you prefer hardware that actually tries to be different or say something ... look elsewhere for now.

Wrap-Up

I'm less than a week in, but already the idea is starting to gel in my head that WP7 is an OS I could grow to really like a lot, particularly post-Mango. Not love, mind you: this is a far more cold, utilitarian experience, with affection based on how well my requested tasks are being carried out. The added fun-factor of webOS, that of the gestures and the fluid feeling of being almost one with the OS, is missing. It's a more sterile existence, but it's also a more productive one.

We'll see, over the course of the next month, which one wins out.

Your thoughts and commentary are welcome, and please share your own WP7 experiences if you have them.
    Garfonso and Sapient2k7 like this.
    Definitely the only other OS I'm considering right now, so I appreciate the commentary and how you relate it back to your experiences with webOS. I will be very interested to see what people have to say once Mango goes widespread.

Loved your comment about the boring hardware. Especially the "apparently" quip...ha.
    Very informative post! I also considered WP7 during the last days... given that my Veer is still in repair and I currently have a spare SIM anyway, I really got tempted. Then again, I'll try to wait for "in two weeks"...

It's good to actually see the features of WP7 and webOS compared by someone who potentially knows and uses the webOS features like I do. Everything else is close to useless in my opinion.

Would be nice to get some updates over time.
    Yeah, i'm no fan of the iOS/Android duopoly myself either.

I definitely have my eyes on WP7 if webOS truly goes the way of the dodo *knocks on wood for this not to happen*
  5.    #5  
    Glad you guys have found this useful. I'll update this post with new experiences/answers to questions as I get them.
    Good post. Thanks.
    Achill3s' Palm Pre: Modded and patched to death!!
    VCI_Cell likes this.
    Wrt notifications, I always found it a waste of space to shrink the screen to put notifications at the bottom when the top of the phone always has a notification bar across the top anyway.

I would never leave notifications undressed because the screen was small enough without being shrunk.

-Suntan
    Global Posts
    782 Global Posts
    I prefer the notifications on the bottom. Seems more natural to me. Top isn't bad, but don't like it as much on TouchPad. Maybe just what I am used to.
    Global Posts
    37 Global Posts
    when the keyboard is up you can just press the back button to make it go away in any situation.
    I'm a hardcore webOS user with a sprint pre w 2.1 & have 3 spare ebay pre units to hold me over until a new sprint webOS comes out, and now that don't appear possible...ever?. I have an upgrade available hoping for pre 3, but now think I may try win7 one day, any Sprint mango phones coming that look good?
  11.    #11  
    Quote Originally Posted by Suntan View Post
    Wrt notifications, I always found it a waste of space to shrink the screen to put notifications at the bottom when the top of the phone always has a notification bar across the top anyway.

I would never leave notifications undressed because the screen was small enough without being shrunk.

-Suntan
    This was never an issue for me, because I always swiped them away easily. That gesture was easy on webOS phones because:

Quote Originally Posted by Mike5 View Post
    I prefer the notifications on the bottom. Seems more natural to me. Top isn't bad, but don't like it as much on TouchPad. Maybe just what I am used to.
    ... with which I agree. Notifications on the bottom of the screen are still my preferred implementation, because it's just easier to clear them. Top of screen necessitates a big hand-stretch in one-handed use, and it's not something I've gotten used to or felt better about; it's just clumsy, IMO.

Quote Originally Posted by EMPOLLA View Post
    when the keyboard is up you can just press the back button to make it go away in any situation.
    I didn't know this about WP7! Even a month later! Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by RyanCell View Post
    I'm a hardcore webOS user with a sprint pre w 2.1 & have 3 spare ebay pre units to hold me over until a new sprint webOS comes out, and now that don't appear possible...ever?. I have an upgrade available hoping for pre 3, but now think I may try win7 one day, any Sprint mango phones coming that look good?
    Not sure what Sprint's going to be getting in the WP7 space ... they're probably going to have a few weeks' worth of iPhone buzz after tomorrow, so we probably won't hear about it for a while, unless MS decides to try and steal Apple's thunder with a WP7 announcement for Sprint soon after (which would be stupid, IMO).

Generally, One Month In:

Even though I now have a Pre3, with which I'm enamored, that's a brand-new acquisition. I still carry my Focus, and it was the Focus that I took with me on a two-week cross-country road trip. It served as my primary camera from New York to San Diego, and also my navigator, trip advisor, altimeter, camcorder, and phone. It served all of those functions very well - particularly the camera. Can't tell you how many times the dedicated camera key came in handy.

As of now, I'm impatiently waiting for Mango, but even with that capable update on the horizon, I'm still spending more time fawning over my Pre3. The Focus mainly sits in my pocket, waiting to be called into service when webOS is being weird or ornery. Bottom line is I still adore webOS, but WP7 is too smooth and reliable to give up ... so for me, it's two phones for the foreseeable future. And thus, a Twitter handle was born.

Just a disjointed, half-**** update in the middle of the night. Other WP7/webOS users, weigh in!
    webOS user since 20090606.
    Thanks for your review of your WP7 phone. Jealous you have the Pre3, but since that isn't likely gonna happen for me, I am focusing on the WP7 OS. I am also trying to stay with Sprint, so that means the HTC Arrive. Sprint already has the Mango update, and have read some good things about that, but am also waiting to see if Sprint gets a new WP7 phone in the near future (my Pre- is still hanging in there). I've read that Mango has the ability to act as a hot spot, but only on new WP phones, so that means it wouldn't be available on the current HTC Arrive, even with the updated Mango. I did go check out the Arrive yesterday, and it feels like a good solid phone and apparently it now offers better multitasking IF the applications have been updated to work with Mango. The QWERTY keyboard also seemed to work pretty good. So, this might be the closest thing to WebOS I'll ever have a shot at unless HP pulls a real stunner. Keep the review coming, especially once you get Mango.
    PalmPilot, PalmIIIc, Treo 650, Pre, Pre 3, Nokia 1020, Lumia 950

"It's good to be the King" - Mel Brooks, History of the World, Part 1

"I would rather have a German division in front of me than a French one behind me." General George S. Patton
    I really hope something new comes out in the Dell Venue Pro form factor with Mango. I realized the Venue Pro has Mango now, but hoping for the front-facing camera and improved specs.

Honestly, I think if it wasn't for Microsoft's form of Synergy not supporting all the services I use, I might have already switched to WP7.