• 1 Post By nyquistjack
  • 1 Post By nyquistjack
  • 1 Post By nyquistjack
  • 1 Post By rexalbel
  • 1 Post By nyquistjack
  • 1 Post By nyquistjack
  1.    #1  
    Folks,

I started a thread over on wpcentral specifically for webOS refugees (or possible refugees) either considering WP7 or having already switched. I figured it'd be a good way to aggregate information specific to former webOS handset folks (myself included).

I personally plan on sticking with webOS via the touchpad (and maybe one day back on phones), but I already bought my wife and I HTC Arrives on Sprint to replace our dying Sprint Pres. I have to say, the Arrives are no webOS but its got to be the next best thing. If nothing else, once updating to Mango, it is sickeningly fast!

Hope to see some of you over there and I am happy to answer questions here or there.
    http://forums.wpcentral.com/windows-...ion/180046.htm

PS: My goal is to help fellow-webos fans who are making the depressing decision to move on to another OS for their phones. I have no intentions on abandoning webOS, I am not trying to "lure" people away, I am not bashing anything (HP, webOS, Precentral, dogs, cats, or even Apple). Just trying to help
    Last edited by nyquistJack; 08/23/2011 at 10:25 AM.
  2.    #2  
    Feel free to post questions either on wpcentral or on this thread if you are interested in how things work on windows phone 7 Mango.

http://forums.wpcentral.com/windows-...ion/180046.htm
    Last edited by nyquistJack; 08/23/2011 at 09:31 AM.
  3.    #3  
    From WPCentral Thread:
    Quote Originally Posted by willied View Post
    What features are missing? I'm just curious, as I haven't had much experience with WebOS to be honest.
    Here is my personal list:
    1) Notifications: webOS had a notification system that was both in your face and out of the way. I never ever missed a notification, but at the same time it never interrupted me. It had something like wp7's toast notifications, but after the notification came up (never stopped what you were doing) it hid itself in a tiny icon at the bottom of the screen (or the top on the touchpad). When you were ready to triage you could go one by one, tap the notification you want to act on and it took you to the corresponding app. You could dismiss one notification at a time or dismiss all notifications for a specific app.

Of course with the seamless multitasking I would typically do this:
    a) Get a text from the wife, say while playing angry birds.
    b) Tap the notification
    c) open the keyboard and type response
    d) hit enter
    e) swipe the gesture area and I am instantly back in my game

2) Cards. The mango update was a huge improvement. but nothing matches the cards and the stacks with webOS. Made bouncing around the phone and doing different things a breeze

3) Another notification thing: a freaking visual notification. I am blow away that wp7 doesn't have a notification light

4) Pandora

5) Just type. This one you have to use to appreciate it. Almost anything I wanted to do, search for, etc I just opened the keyboard and started typing. If I need directions, open the keyboard, type "quiznos" and tap map. If I needed to take a quick not. Open the keyboard, type "that website is cheeseeater.com" and tapped "create note" If I wanted to find a contact, open keyboard and type "wife" and so on

6) The gesture area

Thats all I can think of for now.
    milominderbinde likes this.
  4.    #4  
    These are the things I am loving about Windows 7 so far (Mango)
    1) FAST...wholly crap fast. No lag, no lag at all. Buttery smooth is the word I'd use to describe it
    2) Web browser is quite nice, works loads better than the touchpad (amazing how much DOESN'T work on that thing)
    3) Tiles are neat, I think I like em
    4) The visual search thing in mango is just fun. Point the camera at a qr or upc code and in like a second it has a result. I was pretty blown away as we had nothing even close to that in webos. I can actually see myself using it.
    5) The people hub. I mean..come on, its pretty awesome. That's the sort of thing I always thought webOS should do. They started the social network integration game, but got totally left in the dust. The metro UI really shines in that app (the side swipe)
    6) The camera button is just plane sweeeet!
    7) Auto upload pics to sky drive...sexy
    8) wireless sync, booya
    9) A multiplayer scrabble game...amazing webOS never got one
    10) I just...just...WOW...is this thing FAST

MAJOR Frustrations
    1) Why oh why oh why don't more things go into landscape. I have the Arrive and am usually in landscape but apps constantly won't rotate...drives me insane
    2) No notification light...phones have had them since 1992
    3) I don't get the zune pass. Why can't I "favorite" a song?
    I don't understand your idea... I believe that you have to post this in WPCentral...

Best Regards...
    "If A Man Isn't Willing To Take Some Risk For His Opinions, Either His Opinions Are No Good Or He's No Good!" - Ezra Pound (Poet & Critic)
    (Happy A Lot, As A Good Carioca!)
  6.    #6  
    Quote Originally Posted by Rnp View Post
    I don't understand your idea... I believe that you have to post this in WPCentral...

Best Regards...
    I am a webos fan + precentral active member since 2009. I am trying to help the community.

It's cross-posted. It's no secret people who've been holding on to their Pre- devices for over 2 years are in need of a new device. I think WP7 happens to be somewhat similiar to webOS. Therefore, I thought I'd share my opinions here (with my current webOS community) as well as share the information on what will likely be a new, and coexistant, community at windows phone central.
    I like this thread. I find wpcentral isn't as active as here.

I love windows phone it's a beast and has almost all the apps I need!

What I miss from webos is
    1. Cards... I know mango has them and am getting used to them, but moving between apps isn't as straightforward as it should be, it uses androids idea of going back through every page so if I click to go home, click an app then click back I'll end up back on the last app and if I was browsing a webpage, I can only go back if I was still in the browser. I'd much rather back be like it is in webos, app sepcific. What also happens is if you use an app and decide to click home and go back to the app that way, you will have two of the same app open in your app switcher... It works but needs work

2. Notifications. I miss webos having notifications I could check things I missed quickly. I don't think webos has push notifications though (at least. When I had it it didn't) so that's a plus for windows phone. It needs a notification center

3.just type... I miss this a lot. I never had to dig through apps to text or call people I really miss this!

>i730>i850>i870>i880>ic902>instinct>pre>HTC Arrive
  8.    #8  
    Quote Originally Posted by rexalbel View Post
    I like this thread. I find wpcentral isn't as active as here.
    With any luck the influx of webOS peeps will help that.

I love windows phone it's a beast and has almost all the apps I need!

What I miss from webos is
    1. Cards... I know mango has them and am getting used to them, but moving between apps isn't as straightforward as it should be, it uses androids idea of going back through every page so if I click to go home, click an app then click back I'll end up back on the last app and if I was browsing a webpage, I can only go back if I was still in the browser. I'd much rather back be like it is in webos, app sepcific. What also happens is if you use an app and decide to click home and go back to the app that way, you will have two of the same app open in your app switcher... It works but needs work

2. Notifications. I miss webos having notifications I could check things I missed quickly. I don't think webos has push notifications though (at least. When I had it it didn't) so that's a plus for windows phone. It needs a notification center

3.just type... I miss this a lot. I never had to dig through apps to text or call people I really miss this!

You pretty much nailed my thoughts eactly. On #3, I've come to realize the reason for the differnece is webOS was designed from the ground up to have a keyboard. In WP7 the keyboard was an afterthought. For example, tap a notification for a text and slide open your keyboard. Notice that you can't just start typing there, you have to tap the reply field. In webos it was so very smooth cause it was "Tap, type, enter" In WP7 its Tap, Tap, Type, Tap. While it may be more aliterative it is not as smooth
    Quote Originally Posted by Rnp View Post
    I don't understand your idea...
    Maybe that would be a question for the PreCentral Editor in Chief, Derek Kessler.

Switching away from webOS? SPE has you covered

"...Thankfully, if you’re leaving webOS, our sister sites in the Smartphone Experts network are here to help you out...."

All of these articles offer fair and respectful assessments of what to expect.
    I have some question about WP7 because up till now I haven't ever play with WP7 phone.

How about synergy? Can WP7 can do it. More or less like on WebOS? Can WP7 browser can play cctv flash video (flowplayer)?
    Do WP7 browser open website always on desktop version?

How about the facebook app on windows? Is it as good & complete as on iOS? At least can delete post.

How about mobile hotspot? I heard HTC Arrive don't have one.

How about modification / Theme on WP7? On WebOS we have preware & themes & patches. IOS have Cydia. How about WP7?

How about root / jailbreak, WP7 need too?

What extension is WP7 app? Android (apk), WebOS (ipk), iOS (ipa).

How to install / backup app / games from PC? Is it possible?

-- Sent from my Palm Veer using Forums
  11.    #11  
    Quote Originally Posted by The Bard View Post
    I have some question about WP7 because up till now I haven't ever play with WP7 phone.

How about synergy? Can WP7 can do it. More or less like on WebOS?
    Synergy is better on WP7. It's more fully integrated into the OS. Their version of contacts (called People) has everyone's facebook status updates and photos, twitter stuff, and I think linked in updates. I only use FB so I am not sure how the others work. So you don't even need an FB app cause the OS is the app.

Can WP7 browser can play cctv flash video (flowplayer)?
    no flash

Do WP7 browser open website always on desktop version?
    Customizable, and the IE9 in Mango is the desktop core code, and it runs smoooth.

How about the facebook app on windows? Is it as good & complete as on iOS? At least can delete post.
    I believe its as complete as iOS, been a while since I used that one though. I haven't tried deleting a post, but I can test it when I get home.

How about mobile hotspot? I heard HTC Arrive don't have one.
    This is seriously painful. Wife and I both have tablets and no wifi hotspot now, the Arrive doesn't support it. I suspect this will turn off a lot of potential buyers...

How about modification / Theme on WP7? On WebOS we have preware & themes & patches. IOS have Cydia. How about WP7?

How about root / jailbreak, WP7 need too?
    Hacking on WP7 is a different beast. It's not nearly (or at all from what I can tell) organized like the webOS and iOS. I have hacked anything yet (other than to install Mango) so I am not speaking from direct experience. I am hoping to look more into it this weekend.

What extension is WP7 app? Android (apk), WebOS (ipk), iOS (ipa).
    Not sure.

How to install / backup app / games from PC? Is it possible?
    I know you can use Zune to backup the device, but I am not sure how complete it is.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Bard View Post

How about ...
    Check out the very well written article that walks through all of this: from webOS to Windows Phone.
  13.    #13  
    I've got about an hour at home without children jumping all over me so I can try some stuff out if any one would like Can't promise anything after 7:30 EST
  14.    #14  
    Wrote this thread over at wpcentral. Tried thinking about what it is I liked the most in comparrison to webOS. I am working on a "what's missing" thread as well.

What is amazing about WP7 Mango (from a webOS POV) http://forums.wpcentral.com/windows-...ion/180109.htm
    I really wanted to get and like the HTC Arrive, but when I tried it in Sprint stores, I was really frustrated with the keyboard:
    - Slide it open but the screen doesn't rotate
    - Start typing on the home screen but nothing happens
    - Went into the contact list and then start typing a contact name, still nothing happened
    Until I went into MS Word, it practically felt like the keyboard was just a dummy.

Is it by design that the only way I could find a contact from the phone book is to scroll though the whole list of contacts?

If the Mango update fixes this, then I sure would go back and try again. Until then, my launch day Sprint Pre lives on.
  16.    #16  
    Quote Originally Posted by intellidryad View Post
    I really wanted to get and like the HTC Arrive, but when I tried it in Sprint stores, I was really frustrated with the keyboard:
    - Slide it open but the screen doesn't rotate
    - Start typing on the home screen but nothing happens
    - Went into the contact list and then start typing a contact name, still nothing happened
    Until I went into MS Word, it practically felt like the keyboard was just a dummy.

Is it by design that the only way I could find a contact from the phone book is to scroll though the whole list of contacts?

If the Mango update fixes this, then I sure would go back and try again. Until then, my launch day Sprint Pre lives on.
    You've hit on what will be the most frustarting thing for most converts, loss of just type. The keyboard wonkiness makes sense if you think of it this way.

1) webOS was designed with a keyboard in mind
    2) WP7 was designed with a touch interface only, the keyboard was an addon

So EVERYTHING requires a tap prior to typing (as thats how the virtual keyboard would come up) I am pretty sure the physical keyboard actually surpresses the virtual (I may be crazy but I swear I've seen the VK pop up for a flash when tapping on a text field).

To address your examples above:
    1) No, entirely too many things don't rotate and it is as frustrating as you think it would be. To add to the annoyance, most things that do support landscape will not return to portrait unless you close the keyboard first

2) for the contacts app: In Nodo (the version you likely used) you would open contacts, then tap the search "hardware" button and type the name (either with KB open or with the VK when it pops up). slightly different in mango, there is a search button in the app itself instead

Also, there is a neat feature. Contacts are separated by letter. If you tap a letter you get a screen with a button for each letter of the alphabet for a quick jump)

Obviously, losing just type hurts...and it hurts alot. But, the People app (wp7 version of contacts) is an amazing application. See my link above for a better description.

3) So how do I deal with this? I am learning to use the VK for short typing tasks...and brace yourself...I like it...a lot. It's like some sort of voodoo magic how accurate it is. But when I am typing a long text, a forum entry, filling out a form, etc, I flip it over into physical mode.
  17.    #17  
    PSA: Be careful if you get a WP7 phone. No joke, it will make using your touchpad irritating. You can't understand the smoothness of the OS. The Touchpad (Even OC'd) feels like a jerky mess otherwise.

I really hope they hardware excelerate soon...