Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree7Likes
    Global Posts
    90 Global Posts
    I'm devastated at yesterday's news of HP dropping webOS devices.

I need to get a new phone now or very soon at Verizon, so what should I get for the best souped-up 4G Android smartphone?

I'm also wondering if I'll keep my free (up to 5GB per month) mobile hotspot?

Ugh.
    Pitxitxita likes this.
    I think the three contenders: iPhone 5 (supposedly coming soon), Bold 9930 if you need a physical keyboard (it's supposedly the best out there) or the forthcoming Motorola Droid Bionic.
    Global Posts
    192 Global Posts
    Droid Bionic IMO.

Sent from my DROID X2 using Tapatalk
    Exhaust the body, Proceed the mind, Cultivate the spirit
    Global Posts
    76 Global Posts
    HTC Trophy with Windows Phone is a very very good choice. Microsoft is throwing a ton of weight into it, the upcoming mango update will be a MASSIVE update featurewise, and the interface is smooth and simple.

It really depends on what you want. If apps are all important, iPhone or Android. Windows Phone has a lot of fantastic apps including netflix however.

I'm a current rooted android user, and I love my phone but I'm tiring of Android. I thought the Pre3 would win me back...

Anyway, if you are at all interested in rooting/patching/homebrew, make sure you get a phone that's rooted. I have an Incredible 2 - it's beautiful, fast, excellent battery life for android, and has GSM support so it can be used in Europe/etc at will.

That said, I suggest you wait. iPhone5/Android Ice Cream Sandwich/Mango are ALL coming this September/October. Lots of new phones coming, if you jump ship now you're already behind in many ways
    AlexanderJJJ likes this.
    I'm curious about this, too. Which of these:

Required:
    have Skype integrated into calling
    have a front-facing camera
    have free mobile hotspot
    can multitask
    are CDMA world phones
    have a Synergy-like feature
    have unobtrusive notifications

Would be nice:
    LTE
    physical keyboard
    can communicate/synchronize with a tablet

Wishful thinking:
    inductive charging

If I can find a phone that does at least the required things I'd be happy. Does Mango do that?
    Global Posts
    1,113 Global Posts
    I recommend an HTC Thunderbolt
    Global Posts
    90 Global Posts
    I was thinking maybe the HTC Vigor (Oct 5th, 4GLTE) or Samsung Stratosphere (Sep 8th, 4GLTE with QWERTY slider)? I wonder if either of these will have Ice Cream Sandwich?
    Global Posts
    86 Global Posts
    I'm lookin at the HTC Trophy. not impressed with android now that I've hacked it onto my nookcolor, and don't want iOS. wp7 looks interesting. although maybe I'll keep my preplus till the nokia models come out
    Casio G'zOne Commando!
    Global Posts
    565 Global Posts
    HTC Thunderbolt
    Global Posts
    463 Global Posts
    HTC Trophy all the way.
    Pre Plus, I hear it's going places.
    BobKy likes this.
    Please Support Research into Fibromyalgia, Chronic Pain and Spinal Injuries. If You Suffer from These, Consider Joining or Better Yet Forming a Support Group. No One Should Suffer from the Burden of Chronic Pain, Jay M. S. Founder, Leesburg Fibromyalgia/Resources Group
    Sprint instinct
    Not that I care about specs that much, but the HTC Trophy has a single 1 GHz processor and 8 GB storage space. Why then were people saying the Pre 3 was going to be obsolete?
    Global Posts
    463 Global Posts
    The Trophy here in the US on Verizon actually has 16 GB of storage space. People talk specs because that's what the carriers and manufacturers have been using to advertise. However, after using the Trophy I can say it's faster and smoother than all of the duel core superphone Android phones I've used. Faster, smarter, thinner, etc are all good things (to quote an Apple commercial, sorry), but it's what you can do with it that really matters.
    Quote Originally Posted by ashykat View Post
    The Trophy here in the US on Verizon actually has 16 GB of storage space. People talk specs because that's what the carriers and manufacturers have been using to advertise. However, after using the Trophy I can say it's faster and smoother than all of the duel core superphone Android phones I've used. Faster, smarter, thinner, etc are all good things (to quote an Apple commercial, sorry), but it's what you can do with it that really matters.
    I agree. My finace has a Trophy and I threw Mango on it a week or so ago, its still very good without the update but since having mango it really zips around. Zune pass is phenomenal, the OS is fresh and well thought out. The keyboard is actually a joy to use. She absolutely loves it, its her first smartphone and I never knew she could have such feelings for a gadget, hell I dont think she has those feelings for me most the time!
    Call me crazy, but I may use my upgrade for a pre2. Was hoping for the pre3, but I feel a pre2 is better for me than the other choices. It's going to be a 2 year "last dance" with webOS. Ofcoarse I'm assuming big red will still sell me the pre2. And I'm assuming the phone will still function correctly if/when HP pulls the plug on the software side of things. Hopefully some of the homebrew comunity will stick with it a little longer.
    Wait for the galaxy s 2 its a beast..
    NoICon likes this.
    I'm also faced with the same choice - on Verizon & what to get. For me the big selling points are ease of use, seamless coordination between phone & Outlook exchange & Google services...and it just works without a lot of fussing with it. I'm very happy with my Pre+...other than the crappy camera I wouldn't change a thing. I thought the Pre3 sounded like it fixed what few issues I have and was really looking forward to having the perfect phone.
    • First priority is how it functions as a phone...to make calls. That's why I stay with Verizon.
    • Must play nicely with Outlook Exchange & Google services (calendar, contacts, email)
    • I use email & sms so I need a well functioning keyboard.
    • I never use it for video or music or intensely graphic games.
    • I am also not concerned with having the latest greatest gizmo - I do have a Pre+ after all.
    • I use a number of apps daily to organize my life and information I need at my fingertips. Many of them can be found on most OS - so that is not a huge issue.
    • I like being able to have a variety of things open and switch between cards constantly. It's normal to have about 20 items open all day, everyday.
    • I like that it feels like a phone - thanks to that slight curve when the slider is out - when you are talking on it
    • I like being able to customize the interface. I have installed a number of patches that are little things but makes the phone fit my needs better.
    • I really value this community of support - I'd like to find that in the next phone as well

The tech guy at work has a android he is very proud of - he has to reboot it several times a day and thinks that's pretty normal. That's too much hassle in my opinion.

So what phones should I be looking at as a replacement? or should I just stick with the Pre+ until it quits working? Maybe a Pre2?
    Last edited by Pitxitxita; 08/20/2011 at 12:55 PM.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast