Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Like Tree7Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by milominderbinder View Post
    Jay,

I just did a search on Verizon and found that they have a number of phones with physical keyboards:

Xperia™ Play by Sony Ericsson
    DROID 3 by MOTOROLA
    DROID 2 Global by MOTOROLA
    BlackBerry® Bold™ 9930 smartphone
    DROID Pro by MOTOROLA

I took a quick look at those forums on our sister sites and these owners love their keyboards.

Steve Jobs has explained that he will not put a physical keyboard on a phone for a number of reasons. Moving parts eventually fail. Phycial keyboards have at least 33 moving parts that make manufacturing more complex. Phycial keyboards add weight and thickness.

The iPhone is a tiny 3.5" because it was designed for Steve Jobs hands. It has no keyboard because HE does not want one. Apple allows us to buy a copy of Steve Jobs personal phone. You can't even use a different virtual keyboard because this is the one designed for Steve Jobs hands.

Seriously.

[EDIT] The front page blog for PreCentral today:

Switching away from webOS? SPE has you covered

"Thankfully, if you’re leaving webOS, our sister sites in the Smartphone Experts network are here to help you out."

from webOS to Android
    from webOS to BlackBerry
    from webOS to iOS
    from webOS to Windows Phone
    1. Thank you so much for the list of phones...I've been doing some digging as well...if I go with Sprint I'm leaning toward Samsung Epic....

I'm leaning more toward V or Sprint since T-Mob & AT&T finished at the bottom of Consumer Reports for phone and customer service, (years ago, I had Bell South Mobility which then changed while I was with them to Cingular, (which had bad service under Bell South which became horrendous Customer Service under Cingular, (they decided to drop the name Cingular when they bought AT&T due to their bad reputation.....however reading the CR the service isn't much better under the AT&T banner. AT&T finished at the very bottom of CR list.

2. I 'll start reading up on the leads you just gave me.

3. Steve Jobs is arrogant...it's his way or the highway. My Centro is 2 years and 10 months and my keyboard works just fine...in fact, I've never had a problem with a keyboard with my Treo 300, 600, 650 or my Centro....your right he only wants a version of the Iphone for sale with the features that he wants....so there also isn't a removable battery.

A friend showed me a case with a built in battery for the Iphone, isn't it easier to carry a spare battery with you at times when you know you will need it, such as an airport layover etc...than the schlep a case with a built in battery everywhere? B/c Steve Jobs wouldn't want a removable battery on HIS personal phone...a spare battery is also a heck of a lot cheaper than a specialized case with a built in battery, it's also lighter.....

Then there's Steve Jobs hissy fit about Adobe Flash, which was the fact that flash uses up more juice, which is a problem with a non removable battery. Many years ago, my sister told me a story that supposedly Bill Gates suffers from Aspergers' syndrome, which is a very high functioning form of Autism, (my sister has 2 MS degrees in Special Ed), she felt without knowing for sure that his behavior certainly fit the parameters....my answer was why Steve Jobs behavior doesn't...it wouldn't surprise me if he does as well, (Google Aspergers' Syndrome).

It's his insistence of no keyboard and no removable battery that has kept me from ever wanting a Iphone....

4. On September 1st, both Samsung & HTC are both holding press conferences, which I assume will be about new phones....I have no idea how long their roll out time is....so I'll wait until then....

Thank you so much for the leads, I'll start checking on them right now.

5. I hate to leave the Palm family of phones for one other reason....I've posted on Android central twice since the fall of webOS, asking for advice and recommendations...other than the boiler plate thank you when I joined Android central, I've gotten no responses, something that would NEVER happen here on Precentral or when it was called Treo central.

Take care,

jay
    Please Support Research into Fibromyalgia, Chronic Pain and Spinal Injuries. If You Suffer from These, Consider Joining or Better Yet Forming a Support Group. No One Should Suffer from the Burden of Chronic Pain, Jay M. S. Founder, Leesburg Fibromyalgia/Resources Group
    Quote Originally Posted by milominderbinder View Post
    Jay,

I just did a search on Verizon and found that they have a number of phones with physical keyboards:

Xperia™ Play by Sony Ericsson
    DROID 3 by MOTOROLA
    DROID 2 Global by MOTOROLA
    BlackBerry® Bold™ 9930 smartphone
    DROID Pro by MOTOROLA
    e[/COLOR][/URL]
    Hi, I want to thank you again for your input.

I went thru your list and a bunch of others...

I also posted twice on Androidcentral and was shocked to discover that no one responded...something that would NEVER have happened on Precentral or Treocentral.

If I go with Sprint, I have whittle a list down to Samsung Epic

Now as for V, Xperia doesn't have a regular keyboard it's basically a electronic game console, which is out, because other than Bejeweled, I don't play or own computer games. I want a keyboard for alphanumeric input.

The Droid 2 Global got 4 stars on Cnet all of the others got less stars with the droid pro getting slapped on the knuckles for having poor call quality.

I'm not entertaining the idea of BB at all, b/c then I'd be trading one dying platform for another that is close to needing life support.

I'm going to wait until Sept 1st to see what the press releases from HTC and Samsung mention...I want to look at little more to see if HTC has any thing with a keyboard as Consumer reports Rates HTC tops with V & Sprint, (yet HTC is poorly rated on T-Mob & AT&T.

So far I've avoided looking at T-Mob and AT&T since they came in Consumer Reports polling of cell phone carriers as the second to worst and the worst for call quality and consumer complaints , (in that order).

Take care,

jay

PS I emailed the editor of Androidcentral about the lack of any response (other than a boilerplate welcome letter), to my looking for advice from their readers....I'm still surprised by that...everyone here (Precentral & Treocentral), has always been so very helpful and kind!
    Please Support Research into Fibromyalgia, Chronic Pain and Spinal Injuries. If You Suffer from These, Consider Joining or Better Yet Forming a Support Group. No One Should Suffer from the Burden of Chronic Pain, Jay M. S. Founder, Leesburg Fibromyalgia/Resources Group
    Global Posts
    544 Global Posts
    My mother in law is looking to get her first smartphone on verizon and they still had the Pre 2 on display. I was very surprised. I convinced her to go with the Pre 2 over one of the Android clones.

I think she'll like it. She's not your typical high-end smartphone user so it will do her just fine.
    HI, one of my friends suggested that as well....however, unless some firm either buys webOS or licences it...I don't expect there will be anymore apps written....so I'm not digging myself in deeper with it...I just want to take a year on another smartphone and see if anything happens with webOS....however I'm afraid it's all over for webOS except for the fat lady singing!

Take care,

Jay
    Quote Originally Posted by ilovedessert View Post
    I also posted twice on Androidcentral and was shocked to discover that no one responded...something that would NEVER have happened on Precentral or Treocentral.

If I go with Sprint, I have whittle a list down to Samsung Epic...
    We built camaraderie over the months and years as we worked together to solve our problems. At Android Central, people get setup and are gone until they want the next latest and greatest phone.

As to Android, I would say to check out our PreCentral front page article, Switching away from webOS? SPE has you covered. Their link, from webOS to Android, has a lot of good info. Note that that is just one of four excellent article links:
    from webOS to Android
    from webOS to BlackBerry
    from webOS to iOS
    from webOS to Windows Phone

In particular, with your need for a real keyboard, check out: RIM's QNX phones are going to be amazing. I think this is very true: HP Says BlackBerry PlayBook Imitates webOS. That's the same QNX.

Also new Windows phones are coming, some with keyboards. As the New York Times said, Microsoft's Windows Phone 7 'Mango' borrows best features of others including multitasking, notifications, synergy, etc.

As to the Epic...my wife after her second Pre replacement had had enough and got the Epic and loves it. (I am on my 5th Pre!) She is one of the 10% of users who report that they still open the keyboard after the first 30 days.

My thought for anyone thinking about a phone is to do your homework but then just go to the store and play with them all until you have tried out everything. No one else can tell you what will feel right to you.
    if you have to upgrade now id go with the htc thunderbolt or lg revolution. if you can wait, id say go for the rumored nexus prime or the upcoming htc vigor, the specs on both will blow you away.
    milominderbinde likes this.
    To anyone looking for a replacement with a physical keyboard, the Droid 3 has recently been rooted (think preware… kinda) and it is as simple as downloading a driver and a program on the PC, then running the program.

I can’t comment on all the options out there, but as far as the Droid 3, I am very happy with it as a replacement for the Pre+.

-Suntan
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123