Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree7Likes
    Global Posts
    260 Global Posts
    I got a Thunderbolt about an hour after the HP announcement. There's a lot to recommend this phone, but it doesn't run WebOS, which takes some getting used to. What I like about it is:
    a) the form factor
    b) apps. Man this is a pleasant switch
    c) the solidity of the hardware
    OK, actually there's too much to like to list. But I have to say, my Plus keyboard never made me happy. This one is rock solid. And honestly? It's all about the apps. Everything I ever wished for on WebOS is here. In my perfect world, WebOS would have lived on, and the devs would have supported it, but that didn't happen, and I made the decision to bail. I truly do miss the OS, but this isn't a bad consolation prize.
    Nothing to see here. Move along.
    @drew3sbs on twitter
    Hi all,

The more I read the more mixed up I am....even if someone does license webOS they were already so far behind and so few apps.....however, Google buying Moto may for a few companies to consider another platform....yet the choices if you want a keyboard aren't great....that leaves out iOS....so that narrows it done to Android or WIN 7.

I still want to see if I can get a one year contract, even if I have to bay more for the phone and see what happens with webOS or any other OS!

Take care,

Jay
    Please Support Research into Fibromyalgia, Chronic Pain and Spinal Injuries. If You Suffer from These, Consider Joining or Better Yet Forming a Support Group. No One Should Suffer from the Burden of Chronic Pain, Jay M. S. Founder, Leesburg Fibromyalgia/Resources Group
    Global Posts
    76 Global Posts
    As someone who follows cell phone hardware and operating systems very closely as a hobby and a job, I have this to suggest:

Wait. This Fall all the big boys are updating things big time. Many phones will have new hardware to match the shiny new software.

If you can't really wait 2 months or so, then PLEASE make sure you get an Android device with the best specs you can. Why? At the speed android evolves (including hardware) many phones currently on Verizon are already far behind the curve. The thunderbolt for instance has 4g, but universally is considered to have poor battery life and subpar specs (though miles ahead of a pre/pre2!!!)

If you want a superphone with 4G, I'd wait a week or two and read Bionic reviews- it's the next superphone though pricey (299). If you want just a good quality phone that's flexible, rootable, and want one now? Incredible 2. Trust me

HTC trophy is also excellent and even better with mango. Honestly I STILL have trouble knowing which phone I'd prefer between the two...

iPhone? Well, if you can't wait, you can buy a year old phone thats about to be outmoded within a month or so.

Sorry, at work at 730am on a Sunday. Makes me a bit incoherent. If anyone has specific questions about phones/platforms, don't hesitate to ask I've used them all pretty extensively.

I will give one last bit of advice:

If you really loved WebOS, I truly feel that Windows Phone might be the best choice for you. When Mango is loaded and adds multitasking, it's close to how webos does things (cards) - not nearly as nice, but better than other options. Also, WP7 feels like an integrated SYSTEM - and it's FAST AND SMOOTH. It's a simple interface, handles exchange beautifully, and will sync with google calendar etc easily. The app situation is so much better than WebOS right now it's not even funny, and Microsoft shows no signs of giving up or slowing down.

That said, I highly suggest doing your homework, play with some demos or friends' phones, etc
    I am currently looking for a used Trophy, but that has been no easy feat... I have used all platforms, iOS, android, webos, bb, all of them. I even used to make roms for android. Android is a mess when it comes to the UI, there's nothing intuitive about it. I am going with WP7. Hands down the best OS aside from webOS. I don't want to pay full price for a trophy when new wp7 hardware is due out this fall. I will continue to use my touchpad, I love it and won't use anything else.
    Jay...

after all this time, you still never got a webOS phone, did you?
    I was thinking about this same question.

for now, I think I will stick it out with my pre plus...free mobile hotspot is still too valuable.

i have an ipod touch and ipad2 at home, so I know what ios is all about. The Os is buttery smooth, the hardware is attractive, and the apps are great...but to be honest, the user interface is really just boring. Swipe left and right and that's it. The calender is ugly, email is basic, and contacts are OK.

my wife has cycled thru 3 android devices thus far- the original htc incredible...nice phone, not compatible with her car's bluetooth...so she exchanged for a droid 2. Went thru three of them- nice hardware, but terrible lags, random reboots, and random black screens rendering phone useless....convinced verizon to replace with another phone...got a samsung fascinate. Definitely beautiful, and fast...but constant dropping of bluetooth connections with her car, default bing search, occasional missed texts, and long time to update to latest build of android. In summary, android experience has been a bit shaky.

looking at verizon's lineup...how the heck does one choose a particular android device? They all have similar specs...and reviews are about the same.

I'm really interested in windows phone 7- but there's only one device on vzw now, no guarantee it will receive the mango update...so look forward to the next set of win7 phones to hit vzw...that may be where I head.

in the meantime...I will keep on with my overclocked, metadoctored, reliable feature phone...the pre plus.
    Quote Originally Posted by MDsmartphone View Post
    Jay...

after all this time, you still never got a webOS phone, did you?
    Hi, sadly no...

1. When the Pre 2 1st came out I was under contract & I wanted a Pre3.
    2. the Veer was too small & I wanted a Pre3.
    so.
    3. I was waiting for the Pre3...oh well.....who knows perhaps someone will get a licence from HP for webOS...which would be great except for the fact that it is behind all the other OS's in terms of abilities and number of apps. However it may workout, perhaps webOS has been working with other hardware companies or they can get it up and running on hardware not initially designed for webOS...

4. sadly I'll have to go to Android Ice Cream sandwich, (is that lo-cal?)...

Take care,

Jay
    Please Support Research into Fibromyalgia, Chronic Pain and Spinal Injuries. If You Suffer from These, Consider Joining or Better Yet Forming a Support Group. No One Should Suffer from the Burden of Chronic Pain, Jay M. S. Founder, Leesburg Fibromyalgia/Resources Group
    microsoft guaranteed all current phones will get mango. I still want to wait for new devices though...
    Quote Originally Posted by sinister4g63 View Post
    microsoft guaranteed all current phones will get mango. I still want to wait for new devices though...
    but verizon and software updates don't jibe.

and promises from big companies don't mean anything anymore...thanks alot hp.
    Quote Originally Posted by MDsmartphone View Post
    but verizon and software updates don't jibe.

and promises from big companies don't mean anything anymore...thanks alot hp.
    Actually Verizon has the best follow through rate for updates, but I agree it does feel like they sit on them too long.
    I would rather just wait for the next set of windows phones with mango preinstalled to hit verizon.

again, re: the android phones- where does one start?
    No one can tell you what will feel right to you. Go to a Verizon store and spend hours playing with all of the phones. Ask the reps what they want. Over 24 months this will cost you $2000. Look at the Phone Comparison but get what you want.

Keyboard: The stock virtual keyboards are awful but you will get the idea. On a bigger screen, with a virtual keyboard like SwiftKey or Swype, many rarely open the keyboard. In the Android Readers Choice Awards only 1 of the Top 20 overall has a physical keyboard.

Display: Androids come is every size but the Readers Choice found that: 4.3" Displays Are Now the Sweet Spot. Of nearly 5,000 surveyed, 67% want 4.3" or bigger displays. Here is a list of the Top 10 overall.

Look at the Operating System standings: Gartner: Android Growing, Nokia, BlackBerry, & Microsoft Shrink. Android grew to 43% while Symbian has lost another 5%, RIM another 1%, and Microsoft lost half of it's marketshare.

Do you want to root for the underdog again or do you want all the apps?

If you want apps, that leaves Apple or Android.

If you want the freedom to try different virtual keyboards and tweak the phone any way you want, Apple will be at war with you. If you are one of the 92% who do not want a 3.5" display, Apple is out.

For many that leaves Android.

Android Central just did an article with a lot of info: Moving from webOS to Android. You can customize Android to be like webOS Synergy, Notifications, Just Type, and Cards. There is also the Getting Started.

In the overall rankings from the Readers Choice Awards of phones from this year:

#2 HTC Thunderbolt 4.3"
    #8 Samsung Droid Charge 4.3"
    #11 Motorola Droid Bionic 4.3"
    #19 Motorola Droid X2 4.3"

Also note that the Samsung Galaxy S II Function is due next month along with the 4.3" Bionic, Stratosphere, and the 4.3" 720p Vigor.

And also take a look at our sister sites: AndroidCentral, iPhone TiPb, wpcentral, and Crackberry. Get what feels good to you.
    Last edited by milominderbinder; 08/21/2011 at 01:50 PM.
    thanks for the nice guide on android phones- as I mentioned above, my wife has cycled thru three android phones above from different manufacturers. But I didn't really see any differentiating factors other than the skins and corresponding stabilty. Its really hard to distinguish one android phone from another these days and with new ones coming out so frequently I would
    always feel like I should have waited for this or that.

are any of the android phone manufacturer's more reliable than the others?

are any of them slow to release updates?

which, if any, have higher resale or ebay values?

is the droid 3 really that heavy or changed from the droid 2?

is there any significant advantage to getting a 4G phone or disadvantage, if most of your data access is thru wifi?

finally, are any particular phones more popular than others with corresponding large amounts of followers so that getting unofficial support thru forums will be reliable...as its been here on precentral?

thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by milominderbinder View Post
    No one can tell you what will feel right to you. Go to a Verizon store and spend hours playing with all of the phones. Ask the reps what they want. Over 24 months this will cost you $2000. Look at the Phone Comparison but get what you want.

Keyboard: The stock virtual keyboards are awful but you will get the idea. On a bigger screen, with a virtual keyboard like SwiftKey or Swype, many rarely open the keyboard. In the Android Readers Choice Awards only 1 of the Top 20 overall has a physical keyboard.

Display: Androids come is every size but the Readers Choice found that: 4.3" Displays Are Now the Sweet Spot. Of nearly 5,000 surveyed, 67% want 4.3" or bigger displays. Here is a list of the Top 10 overall.

Look at the Operating System standings: Gartner: Android Growing, Nokia, BlackBerry, & Microsoft Shrink. Android grew to 43% while Symbian has lost another 5%, RIM another 1%, and Microsoft lost half of it's marketshare.

Do you want to root for the underdog again or do you want all the apps?

If you want apps, that leaves Apple or Android.

If you want the freedom to try different virtual keyboards and tweak the phone any way you want, Apple will be at war with you. If you are one of the 92% who do not want a 3.5" display, Apple is out.

For many that leaves Android.

Android Central just did an article with a lot of info: Moving from webOS to Android. You can customize Android to be like webOS Synergy, Notifications, Just Type, and Cards. There is also the Getting Started.

In the overall rankings from the Readers Choice Awards of phones from this year:

#2 HTC Thunderbolt 4.3"
    #8 Samsung Droid Charge 4.3"
    #11 Motorola Droid Bionic 4.3"
    #19 Motorola Droid X2 4.3"

Also note that the Samsung Galaxy S II Function is due next month along with the 4.3" Bionic, Stratosphere, and the 4.3" 720p Vigor.

And also take a look at our sister sites: AndroidCentral, iPhone TiPb, wpcentral, and Crackberry. Get what feels good to you.
    Hi and thank you for all of the useful info. I will be one of the 1% that uses a keyboard, as typing on glass exacerbates the arthritis in my hands.....I will stick with the keyboard.

Take care,

jay
    I have moved to the HTC Incredible 2 since my pre died. IMO sense ui has helped make the transition easier for me.
    Ah, milominderbinder. By far my favorite Joseph Heller-referencing Android salesman
    My next phone will be an iPhone 5 or a Nexus Prime.
    Quote Originally Posted by barrysanders20 View Post
    My next phone will be an iPhone 5 or a Nexus Prime.
    Hi all,

Not me, as far as the Iphone is considered...not until Jobs realizes that there are people who want features other than what he wants people to have...if it doesn't have a keyboard and a replaceable battery, I don't want it!

Take care,

jay
    Quote Originally Posted by tasogare View Post
    I'm curious about this, too. Which of these:

Required:
    have Skype integrated into calling
    have a front-facing camera
    have free mobile hotspot
    can multitask
    are CDMA world phones
    have a Synergy-like feature
    have unobtrusive notifications

Would be nice:
    LTE
    physical keyboard
    can communicate/synchronize with a tablet

Wishful thinking:
    inductive charging

If I can find a phone that does at least the required things I'd be happy. Does Mango do that?
    I can say that the Droid 3 does all of this except LTE and free mobile hotspot.

Also, fyi, if you switch to anything, your 5 GB of free mobile hotspot is gone. That said, you can swap back to your Pre pretty quickly (call *228, put in your phone number then the last 4 digits of your SSN) and use freetether on the Pre. I've done this once when we were camping.

-Suntan
    Quote Originally Posted by ilovedessert View Post
    ...if it doesn't have a keyboard and a replaceable battery, I don't want it!...
    Jay,

I just did a search on Verizon and found that they have a number of phones with physical keyboards:

Xperia™ Play by Sony Ericsson
    DROID 3 by MOTOROLA
    DROID 2 Global by MOTOROLA
    BlackBerry® Bold™ 9930 smartphone
    DROID Pro by MOTOROLA

I took a quick look at those forums on our sister sites and these owners love their keyboards.

Steve Jobs has explained that he will not put a physical keyboard on a phone for a number of reasons. Moving parts eventually fail. Phycial keyboards have at least 33 moving parts that make manufacturing more complex. Phycial keyboards add weight and thickness.

The iPhone is a tiny 3.5" because it was designed for Steve Jobs hands. It has no keyboard because HE does not want one. Apple allows us to buy a copy of Steve Jobs personal phone. You can't even use a different virtual keyboard because this is the one designed for Steve Jobs hands.

Seriously.

[EDIT] The front page blog for PreCentral today:

Switching away from webOS? SPE has you covered

"Thankfully, if you’re leaving webOS, our sister sites in the Smartphone Experts network are here to help you out."

from webOS to Android
    from webOS to BlackBerry
    from webOS to iOS
    from webOS to Windows Phone
    Last edited by milominderbinder; 08/22/2011 at 05:41 PM.
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast